Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,826 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:36 PM

Praise Songs From Secular Artists Isn't Praise Enough To Praise God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Praise Songs From Secular Artists Isn't Praise Enough To Praise God? (599 Views)

One Hallelujah Records Will Not Partner With Secular Artistes – RCCG / Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? / A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Praise Songs From Secular Artists Isn't Praise Enough To Praise God? by mazimee(m): 3:07pm On Sep 11, 2016
Okay, I will start by saying that I haven't been really a religious or a spiritual person. But I believe in the existence of God and I attend church services when Sometimes. I can't really say that I am the type that swallows everything that I am told in the church hook line and sinker without subjecting it to my own rational thinking. I hate being religious, I have my own understanding of God and standard of worshiping him.
So, what I'm trying to say is that, I don't conform to everything that I see all hear from the church.

Having said all these , let me quickly go straight to the reason why I opened this thread.
Today in the church, I noticed something that caught my attention. While the praise section was going on, if you are conversant with Nigerian churches you will agree with me that there are times the praise will be so hit up (that time e go dey hot). One of those times happens to be today. The keyboardist played the intro notes from Phyno's fada fada. The lead singer followed the lead and sang along.

The young people were singing with joy. The sister them and brother them kind of members were having non of that. So they kept quite like they heard Olamide's Story for the gods in the presence of the most high. Some were even mumbling when the it got to "buru ekene buru otito part" like they heard "shakiti Bobo" and quickly sat down. They remained motionless to the song until it was changed to their accepted kind of praise.

I kept thinking about the whole scenario while in the church. I have even gone back home still thinking. I am not understanding

What really make a song a gospel song, the lyrics that edifies God or or the artist that sang it.
Does the praise song coming from a secular artist change the fact it was praising God.
To think that this was an old igbo gospel song that got some creative touches makes it even hard to understand what really changed.

Lalasticlala Abeg come and epp me
Re: Praise Songs From Secular Artists Isn't Praise Enough To Praise God? by OfficialAwol(m): 3:17pm On Sep 11, 2016
God works in ways beyond the grasp of our immediate cognitive domain.

What i mean is that He could derive more joy from a secular praise song than the certified gospel praise song.

People only say what they think of God. No one truely knows God.
Re: Praise Songs From Secular Artists Isn't Praise Enough To Praise God? by daveP(m): 3:25pm On Sep 11, 2016
OP is just making me reek with laughter.

what happened to vessel that sings and the song itself?

the fact that it contains God's name doesn't justify the fact

Psalm 137 comes to mind. funny enough that was outside the temple.

nowadays, secular are much in the temple to sing Gospel songs.

like my friend in a music Contest. he qualified for semis and he chose phyno's fade fade for his next song, cos gospel was the next show. the judge asked if that song was secular or gospel. he was just looking like iroko tree.

The judge faced the audience and said it's by a SECULAR ARTISTE and therefore attracts that classification. that's the technicality. Lobatan.
Re: Praise Songs From Secular Artists Isn't Praise Enough To Praise God? by mazimee(m): 3:40pm On Sep 11, 2016
daveP:
OP is just making me reek with laughter.

what happened to vessel that sings and the song itself?

the fact that it contains God's name doesn't justify the fact

Psalm 137 comes to mind. funny enough that was outside the temple.

nowadays, secular are much in the temple to sing Gospel songs.

like my friend in a music Contest. he qualified for semis and he chose phyno's fade fade for his next song, cos gospel was the next show. the judge asked if that song was secular or gospel. he was just looking like iroko tree.

The judge faced the audience and said it's by a SECULAR ARTISTE and therefore attracts that classification. that's the technicality. Lobatan.

What about the fact that the hook line has been in existence even before phyno thought of going Into music? So because the artist that recreated that song is a secular artist, Hence, the song ceases to be a gospel song right?
Wow shocked shocked

(1) (Reply)

You Won't Believe Where This Ancient Ten Commandments Carving Was Found / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 19/10/16 / The Prophesy Was Not Controversial Rather You – T.B. Joshua

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.