Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:38 AM

Russia Is A Formidable Adversary' US Had To Cooperate With - CIA Chief - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Russia Is A Formidable Adversary' US Had To Cooperate With - CIA Chief (1024 Views)

Hezbollah: Get To Know Our Most Complicated Adversary / Shimon Peres-the Man Who Built Up Israel's Formidable Military Dies At 93 / Rs-28 Sarmat – Formidable Weapon To Counter Us Pgs And Bmd Plans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Russia Is A Formidable Adversary' US Had To Cooperate With - CIA Chief by bonechamberlain(m): 10:54am On Sep 12, 2016
Russia is ‘formidable adversary’ US has to cooperate with – CIA chief

CIA Director John Brennan called Russia a “formidable adversary” that challenges the US in a “number of areas,” like cyberspace, while admitting it is essential to get along with Moscow, as it has a “vested interest” in stability and defeating terrorism.
In an interview with CBC on Sunday, the 15th anniversary of 9/11, the US intelligence chief described Russia as a “world power” with vast military potential, which plays a very active role internationally.

“So, Russia is a formidable adversary in a number of areas,” he said, in answering a question from CBC’s John Dickerson’s on whether and to what extent Russia poses a threat to US national security.

Brennan believes the fact that Russia and the US are competitors does not rule out their working together to resolve a number of the most pressing international issues, in particular, putting an end to the protracted conflict in Syria by pushing the Syrian government to comply with the demands of the US-Russia deal.

The US-Russia brokered agreement envisages a long-term nationwide ceasefire and the establishment of a joint implementation center, where experts from both countries will work to distinguish hardline militants, like Al-Nusra terrorists, from so-called “moderate rebels.” The first step in its implementation is a preliminary 48-hour truce, which came into effect on Monday.

The agreement will also see Moscow and Washington coordinate airstrikes on terrorist targets in Syria.

Russia has a “vested interest in trying to bring stability and trying to dismantle these terrorist organizations,” Brennan acknowledged, while noting the importance of Russia’s contribution to fighting terrorism.

Commenting on Russia’s alleged complicity in the DNC hack, Brennan stopped short of fingering Moscow as the culprit behind the mass release of sensitive documents which revealed that Democratic Party officials had actively worked with the Hillary Clinton campaign to thwart her challenger for the presidential nomination, Bernie Sanders.

At the same time, he admitted that Russia is a powerhouse in the cyber-realm, saying “we have to be very, very wary of what the Russians might be trying to do in terms of collecting.”

When asked for details about the investigation into the attack on the Democratic Party’s servers, he referred the journalist to the FBI for answers.

Brennan also said that Russian President Vladimir Putin is an “aggressive” and “assertive” leader that Washington needs to be “very wary of,” as Putin is able to advance Russia’s cause due to his ability to “manipulate environments” to his country advantage.

https://www.rt.com/news/359012-brennan-russia-world-power-adversary/

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Russia Is A Formidable Adversary' US Had To Cooperate With - CIA Chief by Appleyard(m): 1:47am On Sep 13, 2016
Ehen! I thought they said Russia is a third world nation? How come now she is a power house, and not just that, but one the US must work with to solve certain issues? Is the CIA repenting or what? Just wondering.....

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Russia Is A Formidable Adversary' US Had To Cooperate With - CIA Chief by Lucasbalo(m): 5:02am On Sep 13, 2016
Appleyard:
Ehen! I thought they said Russia is a third world nation? How come noe she is a power house, and not just that, but one the US must work with to solve certain issues? Is the CIA repenting or what? Just wondering.....
You never ceases to amaze me with your anti Americanism. There is nothing wrong with the two countries cooperating if something positive will come out of it. If you think Russian economy is First class, then I have a bridge in Brooklyn I want to sell to you. Their economy is in shambles for obvious reasons, their defense budget and low oil prices and the Syrian intervention is not helping. That's why I am totally against American interventions in foreign affairs unless America is threatened.

2 Likes

Re: Russia Is A Formidable Adversary' US Had To Cooperate With - CIA Chief by bonechamberlain(m): 8:21am On Sep 13, 2016
Lucasbalo:
You never ceases to amaze me with your anti Americanism. There is nothing wrong with the two countries cooperating if something positive will come out of it. If you think Russian economy is First class, then I have a bridge in Brooklyn I want to sell to you. Their economy is in shambles for obvious reasons, their defense budget and low oil prices and the Syrian intervention is not helping. That's why I am totally against American interventions in foreign affairs unless America is threatened.
their economy in shambles ?? Where did u get that from. Despite all the western ineffective sanctions the rouble is gaining everyday. The u.s has the highest defense budget with nothing to show for it, lost in Iraq, lost in Afghanistan. Russia with low defense budget has done in few months in Syria what the u.s and it's backers weren't able to do in years.

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Russia Is A Formidable Adversary' US Had To Cooperate With - CIA Chief by bonechamberlain(m): 8:23am On Sep 13, 2016
Appleyard:
Ehen! I thought they said Russia is a third world nation? How come noe she is a power house, and not just that, but one the US must work with to solve certain issues? Is the CIA repenting or what? Just wondering.....
they have seen that trying to isolate or fight Russia would be a futile and hopeless adventure.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Russia Is A Formidable Adversary' US Had To Cooperate With - CIA Chief by Appleyard(m): 12:49pm On Sep 13, 2016
Lucasbalo:
I believe you can differentiate between realistic postulations and delusive apologetic stance? The likes of Brenan were part of the bunch that called Russia a third world nation, that have no say in certain foreign and geopolitical matters, and as such its interest MUST not be taking into consideration: but suddenly now, they are seeing the need to work with her. Question: if they knew this all along, while didn't they seek such pact and rapport at the early stage of such conflicts, which would have prevented such needless bloodshed and wanton destruction? Why trying to isolate her when you know you couldn't?

And that's just the primary reason a lot of people will continue to hate America....nothing else but for its warproned foreign policy and senseless military adventurism. Otherwise, nobody is against the both of them working together to achieve common goals. That should be everyone's prayers for the sake of our planet.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Russia Is A Formidable Adversary' US Had To Cooperate With - CIA Chief by scully95: 12:56pm On Sep 13, 2016
Appleyard:
I believe you can differentiate between realistic postulations and delusive apologetic stance? The likes of Brenan were part of the bunch that called Russia a third world nation, that have no say in certain foreign and geopolitical matters, and as such its interest MUST not be taking into consideration: but suddenly now, they are seeing the need to work with her. Question: if they knew this all along, while didn't they seek such pact and rapport at the early stage of such conflicts, which would have prevented such needless bloodshed and wanton destruction? Why trying to isolate her when you know you couldn't?

And that's just the primary reason a lot of people will continue to hate America....nothing else but for its warproned foreign policy and senseless military adventurism. Otherwise, nobody is against the both of them working together to achieve common goals. That should be everyone's prayers for the sake of our planet.

To work or dine with the devil you need a very 'long spoon' and I like the way russia is dealing with the devil with both diplomacy and the use of force now the two combined is just nothing but the earlier 'long spoon'.

The devil will just continue to act devilish, just recently, the syrian army reported to have shut down f-16 jets violating its airspace and the idf denied... Just when a truce is taking place then the devil bites again.

That is just a clear definition of evil.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Russia Is A Formidable Adversary' US Had To Cooperate With - CIA Chief by Appleyard(m): 1:11pm On Sep 13, 2016
bonechamberlain:
they have seen that trying to isolate or fight Russia would be a futile and hopeless adventure.
Trying to isolate a country with a history, a renoun industrialized economy, with eleven different time zones, is tantamount to trying to shield the earth's surface from the sun's glory. Its always going to be a monumental failure of unprecedented proportions.

2 Likes

Re: Russia Is A Formidable Adversary' US Had To Cooperate With - CIA Chief by Lucasbalo(m): 1:16pm On Sep 13, 2016
bonechamberlain:
their economy in shambles ?? Where did u get that from. Despite all the western ineffective sanctions the rouble is gaining everyday. The u.s has the highest defense budget with nothing to show for it, lost in Iraq, lost in Afghanistan. Russia with low defense budget has done in few months in Syria what the u.s and it's backers weren't able to do in years.
You are dreaming because the love of Dear Russia is blinding you from seeing the truth. Who cares aboutRuble in World monetary policies. Ask your neighbors if they will choose Ruble over $ or Euro or Pound Sterling ?. It's Former USSR trying to match up with Reagan Star Wars that breaks it down to about 20 different countries now. Let your semi dictator keeps on with his interventionalism and the result will be ugly coupled with third world corruption in your paradise on Earth Russia.
Re: Russia Is A Formidable Adversary' US Had To Cooperate With - CIA Chief by Lucasbalo(m): 1:21pm On Sep 13, 2016
Appleyard:

One thing is that I and majority of Americans don't care for her internalization of events abroad. Left to me and the other Peaceniks, America will leave all this other countries alone as long as America is not threatened. I have no problem with America cooperating with Russia if it means stability and peace in the world. About people hating America, that's nothing new and Americans are used to that because it takes nothing out of her greatness.
Re: Russia Is A Formidable Adversary' US Had To Cooperate With - CIA Chief by bonechamberlain(m): 1:54pm On Sep 13, 2016
Lucasbalo:
You are dreaming because the love of Dear Russia is blinding you from seeing the truth. Who cares aboutRuble in World monetary policies. Ask your neighbors if they will choose Ruble over $ or Euro or Pound Sterling ?. It's Former USSR trying to match up with Reagan Star Wars that breaks it down to about 20 different countries now. Let your semi dictator keeps on with his interventionalism and the result will be ugly coupled with third world corruption in your paradise on Earth Russia.
Mr Lucasbalo the Russian economy is improving, after failed ineffective sanctions, http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-28/russian-economy-edges-near-end-of-recession-as-contraction-eases.
Unlike the u.s who rely heavily on failed wars, print excess dollars to prop up their economy. The Chinese and Japanese currency compared to the dollar is worse than the rouble compared to the dollar does that mean the Chinese and Japanese economy is failing. Don't let your love for dear u.s blind you from seeing the truth.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Russia Is A Formidable Adversary' US Had To Cooperate With - CIA Chief by Durbaubal682: 7:54pm On Sep 13, 2016
Hi!! Where i can find forum 'video'?
Re: Russia Is A Formidable Adversary' US Had To Cooperate With - CIA Chief by Appleyard(m): 12:14am On Sep 14, 2016
scully95:

To work or dine with the devil you need a very 'long spoon' and I like the way russia is dealing with the devil with both diplomacy and the use of force now the two combined is just nothing but the earlier 'long spoon'.

The devil will just continue to act devilish, just recently, the syrian army reported to have shut down f-16 jets violating its airspace and the idf denied... Just when a truce is taking place then the devil bites again.

That is just a clear definition of evil.

Well said.... Israel is one real problem that might jeopardize whatever peaceful process and coordination the US and Russia maybe working on. As the IDF target Hezbollah, who are fighting for Assad, continuous clashes will definitely escalate to a whole new level. But like you said, I like the way the Kremlin is handling the situation. That is, always ready to engage in any attempted peace process, but at the same time, striking targets when it becomes necessary. In other words, Russia is saying that, "if you want this matter to be resolved peacefully, our hands are on the negotiating table, but if you continue backstabbing and escalating the situation; you can bet we are more than able to walk that path as well."

I just hope this whole thing work out. But, honestly, I doubt it would.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Russia Is A Formidable Adversary' US Had To Cooperate With - CIA Chief by scully95: 9:50am On Sep 14, 2016
Appleyard:

Well said.... Israel is one real problem that might jeopardize whatever peaceful process and coordination the US and Russia maybe working on. As the IDF target Hezbollah, who are fighting for Assad, continuous clashes will definitely escalate to a whole new level. But like you said, I like the way the Kremlin is handling the situation. That is, always ready to engage in any attempted peace process, but at the same time, striking targets when it becomes necessary. In other words, Russia is saying that, "if you want this matter to be resolved peacefully, our hands are on the negotiating table, but if you continue backstabbing and escalating the situation; you can bet we are more than able to walk that path as well."

I just hope this whole thing work out. But, honestly, I doubt it would.

True, that reminds me, this is the same strategy Putin used during the Chechnya war. A lot of people do not know why Yeltsin decided to single handedly hand over power to Putin.. The reason is, he knew he was the only one who could put Russia back to where it should be. After everything he did to the west.. Honestly the west were very much close to winning a war with Russia during Yeltsin era.. But furious west shut itself in the leg by trying to break Russia itself.. Putin was the answer at the time..

He was the one who took the war to the doorstep of the wahhabi crazies, us/Israeli backed terrorist as at the time. So all of them know Russia backing Assad is a replay of Chechnya war but this time outside the boarder of Russia. And this is why Israel and other players are hell bent on escalating of which Russia has all the cards on deck to quickly calm/contain the escalation.

I have a strong feeling it will end the same way Russia ended the Chechnya war and now Chechnya has turned to tourist attraction for many.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Russia Is A Formidable Adversary' US Had To Cooperate With - CIA Chief by blueAgent(m): 1:41pm On Sep 14, 2016
They are both controlled by New World Order Elites.
Re: Russia Is A Formidable Adversary' US Had To Cooperate With - CIA Chief by bonechamberlain(m): 10:23pm On Sep 14, 2016
blueAgent:
They are both controlled by New World Order Elites.
I don't think so, Putin is feared because he is under the control of no one, more like a godfather.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia Is A Formidable Adversary' US Had To Cooperate With - CIA Chief by bonechamberlain(m): 10:24pm On Sep 14, 2016
Gaetey438:
Hello every one, how are you? smiley
we are all fine
Re: Russia Is A Formidable Adversary' US Had To Cooperate With - CIA Chief by CSTR2: 10:44pm On Sep 14, 2016
I don't take Russian propaganda sites serious. Yes, Russia is formidable, but not unbeatable when push comes to shove.
Such bogus exaggeration is unnecessary.

1 Like

Re: Russia Is A Formidable Adversary' US Had To Cooperate With - CIA Chief by Appleyard(m): 10:55am On Sep 15, 2016
scully95:

True, that reminds me, this is the same strategy Putin used during the Chechnya war. A lot of people do not know why Yeltsin decided to single handedly hand over power to Putin.. The reason is, he knew he was the only one who could put Russia back to where it should be. After everything he did to the west.. Honestly the west were very much close to winning a war with Russia during Yeltsin era.. But furious west shut itself in the leg by trying to break Russia itself.. Putin was the answer at the time..

He was the one who took the war to the doorstep of the wahhabi crazies, us/Israeli backed terrorist as at the time. So all of them know Russia backing Assad is a replay of Chechnya war but this time outside the boarder of Russia. And this is why Israel and other players are hell bent on escalating of which Russia has all the cards on deck to quickly calm/contain the escalation.

I have a strong feeling it will end the same way Russia ended the Chechnya war and now Chechnya has turned to tourist attraction for many.
Its trite fact that Russia don't start wars: THEY END THEM!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Russia Is A Formidable Adversary' US Had To Cooperate With - CIA Chief by blueAgent(m): 10:02pm On Sep 15, 2016
bonechamberlain:
I don't think so, Putin is feared because he is under the control of no one, more like a godfather.

You think so. why not do a little online check on Russian Revolution Putin and the Elite connection.
Re: Russia Is A Formidable Adversary' US Had To Cooperate With - CIA Chief by bonechamberlain(m): 10:33pm On Sep 15, 2016
blueAgent:

You think so. why not do a little online check on Russian Revolution Putin and the Elite connection.
didn't see anything showing he is under the control of some powerful forces, maybe u can help me out.
The way Russia is set up now, is all about Putin, the west aren't comfortable with that, if they are all under the control of some powers I don't think the daily attack on Putin by the west would ever arise.

1 Like

Re: Russia Is A Formidable Adversary' US Had To Cooperate With - CIA Chief by blueAgent(m): 10:47pm On Sep 15, 2016
bonechamberlain:
didn't see anything showing he is under the control of some powerful forces, maybe u can help me out.
The way Russia is set up now, is all about Putin, the west aren't comfortable with that, if they are all under the control of some powers I don't think the daily attack on Putin by the west would ever arise.

Its is called propangader . it is done to create an impression of balance in global politics while the Elites take power through New World Order.
Re: Russia Is A Formidable Adversary' US Had To Cooperate With - CIA Chief by bonechamberlain(m): 10:54pm On Sep 15, 2016
blueAgent:

Its is called propangader . it is done to create an impression of balance in global politics while the Elites take power through New World Order.
the same new world order Putin has always been fighting against, don't forget that that new world order is failing because of Putin, what you see happening in Syria isn't just about regime change or terrorism it's about America and her allies trying to expand their so called new world order, if successful would totally relegate and render Russia to the background in relation to international politics, which Putin has vowed to stop even if it means using nuclear weapons. The only propaganda I see is the daily US lies on media.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

World Youngest Leader: Sebastian Kurz, 31, Declares Victory In Austria Election / American Journalist Uses The Nigerian Meaning Of MAGA To Shade Trump And All The / Photo Speak Of How Idi Amin Enslaved The European In Uganda

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.