Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,129 members, 7,842,246 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 02:22 AM

Secrets And Scandals - Literature (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Secrets And Scandals (52141 Views)

"The Secrets" - A Story Written By A Nairalander / House Of Secrets : A Story By Angelsss / Cracked Sources ( Love, Schemes, Scandals ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Secrets And Scandals by mhisbliss(f): 10:54pm On Oct 05, 2016
MzLarem:
Lol
lol, real relief btw go on and write what you want I'll be happy to read it
Re: Secrets And Scandals by Nobody: 11:02pm On Oct 05, 2016
mhisbliss:
lol, real relief btw go on and write what you want I'll be happy to read it
Alright then.
Re: Secrets And Scandals by rosalieene(f): 6:15am On Oct 06, 2016
when I was reading this, I forgot it was a fictional story..... It just sounded so real till I came back to reality.
You are just too good Skarlett

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Secrets And Scandals by Nobody: 7:11am On Oct 06, 2016
rosalieene:
when I was reading this, I forgot it was a fictional story..... It just sounded so real till I came back to reality.
You are just too good Skarlett

Rosa abeg summary d story for me. E yaff long too much for me to read.
Re: Secrets And Scandals by rosalieene(f): 3:11pm On Oct 06, 2016
FelixCulpa:

secret admirer spotted grin

1 Like

Re: Secrets And Scandals by rosalieene(f): 3:18pm On Oct 06, 2016
skarlett today is almost gone Na
update pleaseeeeeee......
Also want to use this medium to congratulate batch B 2015 corp members on their POP
I wish them all success in their future endeavors.
Re: Secrets And Scandals by Nobody: 3:51pm On Oct 06, 2016
rosalieene:

secret admirer spotted grin

This one yaff passed secret ooo Rosa. When u finish meet me in the email room.... wink
Re: Secrets And Scandals by Nobody: 4:08pm On Oct 06, 2016
rosalieene:
skarlett today is almost gone Na
update pleaseeeeeee......
Also want to use this medium to congratulate batch B 2015 corp members on their POP
I wish them all success in their future endeavors.

Chai I remember ZM/11B that year. grin

Na dat time dem come dash us allowee 19,800. The service come make sense immediately.

I wish them success too.
Re: Secrets And Scandals by Nobody: 6:15pm On Oct 06, 2016
Dedicated to Mhisbliss, Olabantu and rosalieene

Twenty-Six

She didn’t return to class for the remainder of the day and when the bell went off for closing time, she was one of the first to reach the gate and go home. Mama was so engrossed with Papa’s recuperation that she didn’t notice her red-rimmed eyes. When she noticed she seemed unusually quiet at dinner she had asked but Nma had told her she was fine. She didn’t want to add to Mama’s burden too.

The next day at school, things seemed to have calmed down a bit and she noticed some of her classmates actually looked contrite. She had managed to regain her cool and calm façade and so kept to herself for most of the day. She still heard some snickers when she passed but she did her best to ignore them. She was a nine-day wonder, very soon, they would all get tired. Alice and her friends made snide remarks about her when she passed, but she ignored them too.

She didn’t leave her class unless it was absolutely necessary. The hallway was practically deserted when she walked to the Talk Shop to get herself some snacks during break.

“Hello Nma,” she heard a voice speak, she looked to her right, it was Victory. “How are you?”

“What do you care about that? Aren’t bastards supposed to be unemotional? Aren’t you ashamed to be seen with a half human like me?”

“Nma, I’m really sorry,” she came closer. “I_I got hold of the diary by mistake, you dropped it and I was calling you but you didn’t come back for it. Cynthia met me and when she asked about it, I said it was yours. I didn’t know what was in it and before I could stop her, she collected it and read it. It was all a mistake.”

“It doesn’t change anything, thanks to your peskiness I was bullied and humiliated by everyone. I hope you’re happy now! I hope you’re finally satisfied with what you’ve learnt about me and my family,” Nmachi spat.

“I’m so sorry Nma, if I could change everything I would.”

“Well, you can’t, so it’ll be better for me if you stay away from me. I don’t want to have anything to do with you or anyone else, so just leave me alone!” Nma said and walked away. She felt her breath come out in heaves like she’d been running a marathon. She was still so angry. Angry at Victory, angry at Mama for putting her in this position, angry at her bullies, and angry at herself for being so weak and allowing their diatribes get to her. Well, not anymore, she thought fiercely, she had survived many years of Papa’s cruelty, she would survive this too.

Raphael came to meet her in the library.
“Hello Nma.”

She raised her face to look at him and then turned back to her book. “Hello,” she muttered.

“Gosh Nma, Victory told me what Alice and her friends did to you in the girls bathroom yesterday, I’m so sorry.”

“There’s nothing to be sorry about, its not your fault they’re nasty.”

“I_I know but still, I_I should have acted better.”

She looked up at him now. “I didn’t expect you to act any different, after all you’re all the same,” she said.

“Please Nma listen to me, its not like that, I_I’m…”

“Spare me the I’m different speech,” she said cutting him off abruptly, “as you can see, I’m busy and I’d like you to leave me alone now please.”

His ears burned as he walked away.

Nmachi wouldn’t talk to Raphael or Victory after that day and for weeks after, she stayed by herself. Papa had recovered and was discharged two weeks ago. He didn’t seem to have changed much but the stint with Mama made him more afraid to lay his hands on any of them now. He regarded Mama with a certain kind of awe and finally when he was fit as a fiddle, went in search of another job. To her however, he remained indifferent and Nmachi couldn’t help feeling more like an intruder in his home.

“I’m not sorry I let out the truth about you,” he told her one evening. “Nena thought I didn’t know but she was mistaken. I never asked her but I knew you were not mine when you were born three weeks premature. I calculated your date of conception and it fell around that time she was with the priest.”

She felt the pain and bitterness in his words. It was like having a scab torn off a healing wound to have him remind her that she was the product of her mother’s indiscretion with a priest.

Well, I’m not sorry I’m not your daughter either, she thought bitterly.

The more Nma learned about herself, the more twisted and complicated her life seemed to become. She felt like someone trying to get out of a web that only seemed to get stickier. She had a strong sense that she wasn’t anywhere near all the important discoveries. Something else loomed out there, some other dark truth that would make even all this seem like nothing.

14 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Secrets And Scandals by Nobody: 6:18pm On Oct 06, 2016
FelixCulpa:

MzLarem:
So i'm right,now summarize the story.

You can get the book when it comes out on okadabooks store, I'm sure you won't understand if you start reading it now because some episodes have been removed.
Re: Secrets And Scandals by Nobody: 6:29pm On Oct 06, 2016
Dedicated to all the corpers whose POP was today, I pray you all passed out of your final suffering and enter into the favor market smiley

Twenty-Seven

All the turmoil and emotional conflict exhausted her easily these days and coupled with the fact that exams were around the corner, she felt almost at her wits end. She was studying harder and spending longer hours in the school library but her mind didn’t seem able to assimilate the words in her books. She had just finished studying and was leaving the library when she heard voices around the corridor. She stopped on her tracks when she heard Victory’s voice.

“Please don’t do this to me, I’ll die of the shame,” she was saying.

“Let go of me, you’re shameless already, nobody will be surprised,” A male voice that Nma didn’t recognize responded harshly.

“Please, you can’t do this. You know what I’m saying is true.”

“I don’t know anything except you’re a slut!”

Nma felt horrified and turned the corner to see Ejike forcefully push away Victory and walk away. She stared helplessly as Victory sank into a heap on the dusty ground, crying. Ejike didn’t seem to care as he walked down in the opposite direction, he walked down the flight of stairs and was gone.

Victory looked up then and stared at Nma.

“Oh Nma, oh I’m finished,” she said.

Nma felt her heart tug in sympathy and came to Victory’s side and put her arm around her shoulder.
“Please get up, you’re not finished. Everything will be all right.”

“How? Oh God how? What will I tell my mother, how will I face her,” she bawled.

“Please calm down Vic,” she was at a loss. “Everything will be fine.”

“No Nma, it won’t because I’ve gotten myself in more trouble. My mother will kill me when she finds out,” she started to cry harder.

“Don’t talk like that Victory,” she said.

“Ejike has killed me, my life is over. Who will I say is responsible for this pregnancy?”

Nma had been shocked to learn that Victory was pregnant from what had happened at the party. The minutes she’d spent trying to pacify Victory had gone by in a blur as she’d found herself uttering words even her couldn’t believe.

“We’ll find a way out of this, I promise,” she’d said.

But now lying on her bed and staring at her ceiling, she didn’t have a clue on how she’d fulfill her promise. She had reassured Victory but inwardly she cringed at the thought of getting into trouble again. Alice and her friends had started picking on her when she stood up to defend Victory and the same person had sold her out to them. They were also the ones that got her in this mess in the first place without involving her, so it would be unfair to rope her in now things had gone awry.

Victory Elechi seemed to be a trailer load of trouble and now she was trying to get Nma into her rocking boat with her. Not this time, Nma thought, she wouldn’t allow Victory sink them both.

She started avoiding Victory at school the next day making excuses with their upcoming exams. Victory walked around with a droop in her gait but Nma tried not to notice. Victory was bad influence and she was better off staying away from her.

But as much as she tried, her conscience bothered her so much. She couldn’t put away images of Victory looking lost and alone even amongst her friends. They all chattered on but Victory stayed silent among them and Nmachi knew why. She knew she had to talk to her and give her the courage to tell her mother everything but every time she thought about it, she saw Victory, in her mind’s eye, as a coiled fuse attached to a time bomb which would blow up in her face. So she stayed away and didn’t look forward to going through the turmoil of freeing Victory from the chains of humiliation and scandal she had wrapped around herself.

She was walking home late one afternoon after school when she saw Victory lounging at the school gates like she was waiting for someone.

“Vic,” she said surprised, “Er…hi.”

“Nma,” she smiled a little, “You’ve been avoiding me. Pregnancy is not contagious, you know.”

Nma was short of words.

“Its all right, I guess I can understand, I had a long talk with Mr. Obi today, he said so many teachers are talking about my lack of focus in class, he gave me a letter for my mother.”

“Oh Vic…” Nmachi murmured but her throat felt clogged with emotion, “I_I don’t know what to say.”

Victory smiled sadly at her and walked away, Nma felt the urge to go after her and hug her but she stood rooted to the spot.

The next day, the principal announced during morning assembly the death of one of the students. It was her friend Victory Elechi, she’d been found bleeding profusely in her family’s toilet last night and was rushed to the hospital. She died in the early hours of that morning.

Nmachi felt the voices of hushed whispers and excited speculations of the students fade into the background. She looked at the principal still addressing the students on the podium but she never really saw his face. She heard her heartbeat increase in tempo and the wind rush in her ears before she felt her legs disappear under her.

“Hey! Somebody help!” someone cried.

Suddenly, the whole assembly was thrown into panic as teachers jumped from the podium to SS1 girls line.

“Stand aside and give her room for air,” the school’s health instructor shouted. He pushed forward and knelt beside her. He felt her neck.

“She’s alive,” he announced.

When Nma regained consciousness, she was propped up on pillows in the school’s sick bay. The school nurse, Mrs Edith was hovering over her.

“Take it easy,” she said as soon as her eyes opened.
It took her a moment to remember where she was and what had happened. She started to sob uncontrollably, her whole body shaking.

“Hey,” she said. “Take it easy.”

Nma shook her head slowly. “Its my fault,” she said with her voice cracking. “I shouldn’t have turned against her. Its my fault.”

Quick trivia

Do you think Nma handled the situation with Victory well, if no, what should she have done differently? If yes, kindly justify why.

Updates tomorrow

12 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Secrets And Scandals by Nobody: 6:33pm On Oct 06, 2016
FTC grin grin

Nna sef. Pushing away the only 2 friends she has. #FrustrationThings

Modified

Nna had too much on her plate already, making the whole situation between her and Vic understandable. A 14 years old who has seen all sorts of physical abuse, then learn that she is the source of it all, only to learn that her friend (directly or indirectly) helped in spreading the news is most definitely expected to handle the situation the very same way as Nna.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Secrets And Scandals by Nobody: 6:34pm On Oct 06, 2016
ozila:
thanks ma for the dedication, hope you are good.

You're welcome dear, I'm good
Re: Secrets And Scandals by Nobody: 6:35pm On Oct 06, 2016
jagugu88li:
FTC grin grin

Nna sef. Pushing away the only 2 friends she has. #FrustrationThings

Lol, which madam?

Oya answer the trivia tongue
Re: Secrets And Scandals by Nobody: 6:36pm On Oct 06, 2016
swann:
This story just gets sadder. I hope Patrick comes back to Nigeria soon or Nma gets a scholarship to Kenya...anything to make them meet

Hmmmmn...

No comment lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Secrets And Scandals by Nobody: 6:37pm On Oct 06, 2016
Twinkle004:
I hope victoria is satisfied now...Nma is a victim of 2 much pain of her age ooooo..I feel 4 her
Dude welluuuuu done.see u on thursday

Thursday is here smiley
Re: Secrets And Scandals by kinah(f): 6:48pm On Oct 06, 2016
Quick trivia
Do you think Nma handled the situation with Victory well, if no, what should she have done differently? If yes, kindly justify why.

nma didn't handle the situation well. since her conscience has being judging her. she shld have stayed with her, and let Victory's mind judge her. Nw Nma will think of her death and Ow she was suppose to console her and she didn't for the rest of her life.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Secrets And Scandals by lumzybo: 6:49pm On Oct 06, 2016
Nma messed up big time. She shld av stood with her friend and encouraged her to tell her parents. They wuld av dealt with her but she wuld av been alive still.

Yes, her death is on her. #RipVic cry cry cry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Secrets And Scandals by Nobody: 6:54pm On Oct 06, 2016
lumzybo:
Nma messed up big time. She shld av stood with her friend and encouraged her to tell her parents. They wuld av dealt with her but she wuld av been alive still.

Yes, her death is on her. #RipVic cry cry cry

You mean you blame Nna for Vic's death? Ejike had no hand whatsoever?

I think I'm willing to accept the blame game if Ejike is part of it. She (Vic) solely decided to hangout with the wrong crowd, merely for being cool. Raped or not, Nna didn't send her to that party. Vic wanted Ejike to acknowledge the pregnancy and when that failed, she decided to take her life. Now, how is Vic's death on Nna? That letter to her mother also made her panic

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Secrets And Scandals by Nobody: 6:55pm On Oct 06, 2016
skarlett:

You can get the book when it comes out on okadabooks store, I'm sure you won't understand if you start reading it now because some episodes have been removed.
Oh..Okay. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Secrets And Scandals by lumzybo: 7:12pm On Oct 06, 2016
jagugu88li:

You mean you blame Nna for Vic's death? Ejike had no hand whatsoever?

I think I'm willing to accept the blame game if Ejike is part of it. She (Vic) solely decided to hangout with the wrong crowd, merely for being cool. Raped or not, Nna didn't send her to that party. Vic wanted Ejike to acknowledge the pregnancy and when that failed, she decided to take her life. Now, how is Vic's death on Nna?

Nma was suppose to be her friend, her confidant. Of all the people she culd av gone to, she chose her. And what did she do? she tossed her off and avoiDed her like a plague even after making her a promise. The least she culd av done was to encouraged her to tell her parents.

Their last meeting will 4eva hunt her. Y did u think she waited 4 her @ the gate? I lil word of encouragement wuld av saved her @least buy her some more tym.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Secrets And Scandals by Nobody: 7:31pm On Oct 06, 2016
lumzybo:

Nma was suppose to be her friend, her confidant. Of all the people she culd av gone to, she chose her. And what did she do? she tossed her off and avoiDed her like a plague even after making her a promise. The least she culd av done was to encouraged her to tell her parents.

Their last meeting will 4eva hunt her. Y did u think she waited 4 her @ the gate? I lil word of encouragement wuld av saved her @least buy her some more tym.

....hence I made mention of her age. A 14 years old acts on impulse as opposed to right and wrong. Vic had brought tears on Nna a numerous times remember. She was caught "kissing" a boy all because of Vic's "study" invite, the diary was in Vic's possession before the contents in it were made a laughing matter.

The way a 14 years old sees it is, Vic and troubleshooting are synonyms, best she plays her cards safe. She didn't intentionally cut her off, she couldn't because she loves Vic. But all the above mentioned and her family issue weighed in heavily.

Anyway, Vic herself saw her life fade away the minute Ejike dismissed the pregnancy. If it wasn't for that, she would still be alive.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Secrets And Scandals by JeffreyJamez(m): 7:41pm On Oct 06, 2016
I honestly don't blame Nma for Victory's death... I believe Victory had not been through half of what Nma has been through... and Nma avoiding Victory is very understandable.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Secrets And Scandals by IamLukas(m): 8:11pm On Oct 06, 2016
Well,Nma didnt handle the situation well but its easy to make excuses for her as to why she behaved the way she did.
1.She is relatively young to handle such a situation
2.Sometimes its not easy to forgive that one person U trust and eneded up selling U out
3.She felt it was better to stay away because Vic always cause her one trouble or the other when they r on good terms.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Secrets And Scandals by mhisbliss(f): 8:13pm On Oct 06, 2016

Skarlett thank you, thank you, thank you for the dedication, i love you, no homo

As for nma, she has been through alot as we all know without a companion to help her through her ordeals, but she coincidentally got tangled in the web of vic's pregnancy by consoling her when she was in that dark place, and thats why vic told her in the first place, she should have completed what she started, she should have been the friend vic needed in her darkest moment, she should have told vic's mum, i have a feeling that she'll blame herself for vic's death for eternity, and for someone with her kind of upbringing she doesn't need more confusion and guilt feeling in her life, she should have reacted differently mostly because she's also a product of an unwanted pregnancy and vic is her only friend.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Secrets And Scandals by dominique(f): 8:24pm On Oct 06, 2016
skarlett:

You removed episodes? Why naa?
Re: Secrets And Scandals by Twinkle004(f): 8:25pm On Oct 06, 2016
Nma went 2 far ds tym,although I won't blame her cos she already had much problems on her plate but she should have talk 2 Victory when Victory was waiting 4 her by d gate probably u might not have killed herself...
More grace 2 ur pen dat s if u are using any...grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Secrets And Scandals by Nobody: 8:34pm On Oct 06, 2016
dominique:

You removed episodes? Why naa?

I didn't want it to be published without authorization
Re: Secrets And Scandals by dominique(f): 8:49pm On Oct 06, 2016
skarlett:

I didn't want it to be published without authorization

Ok, Lord save us from plagiarists
To answer the trivia question, Vuctory has proved more than once that she is not a good friend, i don't really blame Nma for not being there for her.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Secrets And Scandals by lumzybo: 9:34pm On Oct 06, 2016
jagugu88li:

....hence I made mention of her age. A 14 years old acts on impulse as opposed to right and wrong. Vic had brought tears on Nna a numerous times remember. She was caught "kissing" a boy all because of Vic's "study" invite, the diary was in Vic's possession before the contents in it were made a laughing matter.

The way a 14 years old sees it is, Vic and troubleshooting are synonyms, best she plays her cards safe. She didn't intentionally cut her off, she couldn't because she loves Vic. But all the above mentioned and her family issue weighed in heavily.

Anyway, Vic herself saw her life fade away the minute Ejike dismissed the pregnancy. If it wasn't for that, she would still be alive.

You made some plausible points though. Still, I hold my grounds.
There are 2 sides to a coin.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Secrets And Scandals by emmynku(m): 10:40pm On Oct 06, 2016
The lesson here: always report rape,regardless of how and where it happens. Just a word of encouragement from nma would have kept victory alive. Very sad episode. Surely she will never overcome the guilt. As for ejike.haha karma will surely show up.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Secrets And Scandals by Nobody: 10:44pm On Oct 06, 2016
Do you think Nma handled the situation with Victory well, if no, what should she have done differently? If yes, kindly justify why

No.
Nma had already promised to help Vic so she should have encouraged her to tell her parents about the pregnancy and her parents would be in a better position to handle the case (e.g. her mum could beat the pregnancy outta her, or take her to a doctor for a proper abortion) and her death could've been avoided and Nma wouldnt feel so much guilt which coupled with her family issues and bad school social life can drive her to do something harmful.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (19) (Reply)

Diary Of An Assistant Girlfriend / The Coffee Shop - by Dr Ogo / Finding Love

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.