Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,491 members, 7,819,790 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:26 PM

Kaduna Launches ‘Waste To Cash’ Project - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Kaduna Launches ‘Waste To Cash’ Project (8818 Views)

Vacancy For Invoice To Cash Collector At General Electric Nigeria / @mufclatestnews Removes Editor Who Said Nigerians Are A Waste Of Oxygen & Flesh / You Nigerians Are A Waste Of Oxygen And Flesh - @mufclatestnews Blasts Guy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kaduna Launches ‘Waste To Cash’ Project by Proudlyngwa(m): 8:50am On Sep 13, 2016
Pavore9:
If there is incentive across Nigeria regarding collection of used pure water satchet. pet bottles, empty cans of drinks etc our environment will be free of their indiscriminate disposal.

Do we need incentives to do the right thing.
I would rather if there is punishment, peoples head will reset.

1 Like

Re: Kaduna Launches ‘Waste To Cash’ Project by HMZi: 8:57am On Sep 13, 2016
Mumu thing
Re: Kaduna Launches ‘Waste To Cash’ Project by Pavore9: 9:27am On Sep 13, 2016
Proudlyngwa:

Do we need incentives to do the right thing.
I would rather if there is punishment, peoples head will reset.

The reality is that punishment does not work, normally government enacts a law and within the first few weeks they forcefully enforce it but as time goes on they lose steam and we go back to square one......non compliance!

A more sustainable approach is to get people to properly arrange their trash for an incentive, the incentive is not coming from somewhere else but within the system.

Let me give you an example of a sustainable system. There is this recycling plant in a rough neighbourhood of Nairobi, one of their product lines manufactures irrigation pipes and Floor dividing strips (ebonite) from the used transparent cups that is used with water dispensers. The company manufactures these products within a space of 20ft by 30ft and 6 workers. Youths are regularly seen bringing in huge sacks filled with these used transparent cups which the company produces those products from and sell to farmers and building contractors. Now that value has been attached to that waste (used transparent cups) the less likely it will be seen littering around.

1 Like

Re: Kaduna Launches ‘Waste To Cash’ Project by Proudlyngwa(m): 9:33am On Sep 13, 2016
Pavore9:

The reality is that punishment does not work, normally government enacts a law and within the first few weeks they forcefully enforce it but as time goes on they lose steam and we go back to square one......non compliance!

A more sustainable approach is to get people to properly arrange their trash for an incentive, the incentive is not coming from somewhere else but within the system.

Let me give you an example of a sustainable system. There is this recycling plant in a rough neighbourhood of Nairobi, one of their product lines manufactures irrigation pipes and Floor dividing strips (ebonite) from the used transparent cups that is used with water dispensers. The company manufactures these products within a space of 20ft by 30ft and 6 workers. Youths are regularly seen bringing in huge sacks filled with these used transparent cups which the company produces those products from and sell to farmers and building contractors. Now that value has been attached to that waste (used transparent cups) the less likely it will be seen littering around.
My brother punishment will work.
If the incentive is low, Nigerians won't care.
I remember the good old days of being charged 500 naira if you are caught utinating in public places.
What our law enforcement agents need is body cameras that can't becput off by them, and being monitored by agencies they don't know.
Question is,is there a will
Re: Kaduna Launches ‘Waste To Cash’ Project by Pavore9: 10:15am On Sep 13, 2016
Proudlyngwa:

My brother punishment will work.
If the incentive is low, Nigerians won't care.
I remember the good old days of being charged 500 naira if you are caught utinating in public places.
What our law enforcement agents need is body cameras that can't becput off by them, and being monitored by agencies they don't know.
Question is,is there a will

The will is the issue, l have seen severally where government at different levels have with fanfare launched several initiatives centred around cleaner environment with penalties for violations.......did they work?

I was involved in a community development project in East Africa where the project was centred around getting the locals to have the village market free from the heaps of waste accumulated from the market.

We got them to sort out their waste into bio-degradables and non degradables, the women takes turns in groups to bring the bio-degradables to the small biogas centre near the market which generate biogas that powers a generator which provide power to charge their power banks while they are busy selling their wares, then in the evenings when they are going home they come collect their charged power banks which they use to charge their phones at home, they also get to collect bio-slurry (organic fertilizer for their farms). They now relate their now clean village market to a charged phone.......this works faster and more sustainable that law enforcement agents.
Re: Kaduna Launches ‘Waste To Cash’ Project by Imafidonist442(m): 10:16am On Sep 13, 2016
Hmmm nawaoo, another 419 scam in the making.....may God almighty help us from this politicians
Re: Kaduna Launches ‘Waste To Cash’ Project by Proudlyngwa(m): 10:27am On Sep 13, 2016
Thanks for this.
The will is the issue
Like I said if the incentive is low, Nigerians won't care.
Let them see one military man and they will behave
Nigeria needs massive reorientation, we need to know we are doing it for yourself, not anyone else.
I don't subscribe to rewards for what we should be doing. Though I subscribe for massive rewards for people doing more.
Pavore9:

The will is the issue, l have seen severally where government at different levels have with fanfare launched several initiatives centred around cleaner environment with penalties for violations.......did they work?

I was involved in a community development project in East Africa where the project was centred around getting the locals to have the village market free from the heaps of waste accumulated from the market.

We got them to sort out their waste into bio-degradables and non degradables, the women takes turns in groups to bring the bio-degradables to the small biogas centre near the market which generate biogas that powers a generator which provide power to charge their power banks while they are busy selling their wares, then in the evenings when they are going home they come collect their charged power banks which they use to charge their phones at home, they also get to collect bio-slurry (organic fertilizer for their farms). They now relate their now clean village market to a charged phone.......this works faster and more sustainable that law enforcement agents.
Re: Kaduna Launches ‘Waste To Cash’ Project by Pavore9: 10:42am On Sep 13, 2016
Proudlyngwa:
Thanks for this.
The will is the issue
Like I said if the incentive is low, Nigerians won't care.
Let them see one military man and they will behave
Nigeria needs massive reorientation, we need to know we are doing it for yourself, not anyone else.
I don't subscribe to rewards for what we should be doing. Though I subscribe for massive rewards for people doing more.

Nigerians only respect military force that was why during Buhari time in the 80's, Nigerians knew what it was to be on the queue or dispose waste properly.

When you are orientating a group for a change, acknowledging their psychology is very important. Many Nigerians do not sense beauty and calm in a clean environment. Nigerians needs to be engaged on the conservation around waste disposal, we should be asked what we gain from living and doing business in dirty environment. Our moments of mea culpa needs to be triggered.
Re: Kaduna Launches ‘Waste To Cash’ Project by justmenoni: 10:54am On Sep 13, 2016
we shall be paying N1.00 per kilogramme of waste. We, however, expect a minimum of 10 to 25kg

grin grin grin grin grin Like seriously, you will carry 50kg of waste and get 50 naira in return? i didn't read the article, but the above-bolded line just caught my attention, can anyone tell me if they're going to be picking up the waste or they want people to travel with their waste and get 1naira per kilo? grin grin grin grin
Re: Kaduna Launches ‘Waste To Cash’ Project by Proudlyngwa(m): 10:58am On Sep 13, 2016
Pavore9:

Nigerians only respect military force that was why during Buhari time in the 80's, Nigerians knew what it was to be on the queue or dispose waste properly.

When you are orientating a group for a change, acknowledging their psychology is very important. Many Nigerians do not sense beauty and calm in a clean environment. Nigerians needs to be engaged on the conservation around waste disposal, we should be asked what we gain from living and doing business in dirty environment. Our moments of mea culpa needs to be triggered.
I accept the mea culpa angle.
We are already being punished by nature via diseases.
Yet we won't learn. Nigerians fear superior physicality as you rightly said.
Nigerians should be made to see the sense of beauty and cleanliness, and for those who don't five a hoot about our efforts, they should be disciplined. We all complain about over flooding, yet block our drains with plastic waste. This is because we know we are going to get away with it, what incantive are you going to give a man who drinks sachwt water, not to subconsciously throw it out of a moving vehicle.
If the same man is caught and fined 2k , he will think twice.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Just Got This Text, Who Else Received It? / Types Of Boss You Will Meet And How To Handle Them / Doing Nysc In Chevron

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.