Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,712 members, 7,824,021 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:34 PM

Help My Child Is Addicted To Cartoonnetwork - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help My Child Is Addicted To Cartoonnetwork (3296 Views)

''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone'' / 10 Signs That Your Child Is Spoiled / 10 Signs Your Child Is An Old Soul In A Young Body (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help My Child Is Addicted To Cartoonnetwork by Nobody: 5:09pm On Oct 09, 2009
Hi everyone,My Son of just seven years[7]old is addicted to cartoonnetwork.The rate at which He watches cartoons is alarming and it seems to have an adverse effect on him.He no long loves to read his books and do anyother thing.I caught him this morning around 5.30 A.m stuck to the T.v Screen.the sad part of it is that he failed his promotional examination to move on to class 2.Please help what do I do? should i call Dstv to scramble to network/if its possible
Re: Help My Child Is Addicted To Cartoonnetwork by Pittbaby(f): 7:53pm On Oct 09, 2009
unplug the TV and move it out of his reach , he is 7 now what will you do when he is 13?

discipline starts with the parents, you have to put in place rules
1) no TV on school days
2) TV time on weekends is scheduled and earned based on good behaviour and grades
3) parents will not watch TV in front of the kids during "no TV hours " you can retire to a seperate room , always good becos you want to filter what your child sees on TV in the early years
Re: Help My Child Is Addicted To Cartoonnetwork by blackspade(m): 8:13pm On Oct 09, 2009
^ tru talk!
Re: Help My Child Is Addicted To Cartoonnetwork by Bbeee: 11:22pm On Oct 09, 2009
just activate the parental control stuff on your decoder,

or better still PACK UP YOUR DECODER N PUT IT IN DA DUST BIN grin cool
Re: Help My Child Is Addicted To Cartoonnetwork by sexyLeamon(f): 8:16am On Oct 10, 2009
Pittbaby:

unplug the TV and move it out of his reach , he is 7 now what will you do when he is 13?

discipline starts with the parents, you have to put in place rules
1) no TV on school days
2) TV time on weekends is scheduled and earned based on good behaviour and grades
3) parents will not watch TV in front of the kids during "no TV hours " you can retire to a seperate room , always good becos you want to filter what your child sees on TV in the early years

why the hell did i come in here u have already said it all. well said wink
Re: Help My Child Is Addicted To Cartoonnetwork by Nobody: 9:56am On Oct 10, 2009
Thanks pittbaby,
The problem is really bad for me.If i leave the palor for a second his jets to the remote and back.His house help is so stupid that he talks to her in any manner he wants.He only time he behaves is when am around and thats like 6-7pm in the evening so u can imagine how much he has watched from 2pm.I tried caring my smartcard to work but kept on forgetting it some days.Any more Ideas?
Re: Help My Child Is Addicted To Cartoonnetwork by funkybaby(f): 3:17pm On Oct 10, 2009
@babs2rock

activate parental control on your dstv.

do this for all the channels that show cartoons and movies

its sad that he failed his promotional exams. a 7year old kid?

get a home lesson teacher to give him classes and bombard him with homework
you can give him homework/assignments to do before you get back from work and be firm with him on this.

you can buy cartoon DVDs for him to watch. this way you can monitor the hours he spends watching tv and let him know that he only gets to watch DVDs when he is of good behaviour

[s]finallly, a little spanking wont hurt him[/s]  smiley
if my partner reads this bit, he is going to b furious with me   grin
Re: Help My Child Is Addicted To Cartoonnetwork by Epiphany(m): 4:34pm On Oct 10, 2009
babs2aroks:

Thanks pittbaby,
The problem is really bad for me.If i leave the palor for a second his jets to the remote and back.His house help is so stupid that he talks to her in any manner he wants.He only time he behaves is when am around and thats like 6-7pm in the evening so u can imagine how much he has watched from 2pm.I tried caring my smartcard to work but kept on forgetting it some days.Any more Ideas?

UNPLUG THE TV AND LOCK IT UP. . . that was the first thing pittbaby said! Bring it out only on weekends.

Jeez, dont understand kids parents of these days o. When i was younger, i dared not do anything my parents told me not to do. . . or speak to anyone rudely - including our house helps. I know that kids will be kids but from what you wrote, i get the impression that your boy is very naughty. If you leave him the way he is now, YOU WILL HAVE A PROBLEM IN YOUR HANDS WHEN HE GETS OLDER.
Re: Help My Child Is Addicted To Cartoonnetwork by Nobody: 6:33pm On Oct 10, 2009
Re: Help My Child Is Addicted To Cartoonnetwork by mamagee6(f): 11:18pm On Oct 10, 2009
Get over it, every child is addicted to cartoonnetwork. undecided
Re: Help My Child Is Addicted To Cartoonnetwork by trekkie: 12:09am On Oct 11, 2009
^^^ like she said all kids are addicted to cartoonnetwork but as a parent, you cannot ignore it. when i found the grades of my daughter slipping i took steps outlined by pittbaby.
Re: Help My Child Is Addicted To Cartoonnetwork by Radiant(f): 2:08am On Oct 11, 2009
I wonder why you have a "stupid" person taking care of your child. You people sometimes bore me with ur "problems". embarassed
Re: Help My Child Is Addicted To Cartoonnetwork by Nobody: 1:17pm On Oct 11, 2009
when i mean stupid i mean not a very bright person,The house help chores are little to non because she goes to school and doesnt really have anything to do because of the availability of other workers durning the day.At this rate i guess i have to get rid of her.
Re: Help My Child Is Addicted To Cartoonnetwork by africhika(f): 4:41pm On Oct 11, 2009
my brothers live/breathe/eat/sleep cartoon network. that channel is demonic. cool
Re: Help My Child Is Addicted To Cartoonnetwork by africhika(f): 4:42pm On Oct 11, 2009
but ur son get over it with time. it's just natural i guess.
Re: Help My Child Is Addicted To Cartoonnetwork by biina: 7:30pm On Oct 11, 2009
Addicted to cartoon network? undecided
If he was not watching TV, what should he be doing?
does he have other activities to engage him or you expect him to sit down twiddling his thumbs?
How did he fail his promotional exam overnight? didnt you see it coming? how were his homework, grades etc before failing?
I think u need to pay more attention to your kid.
Re: Help My Child Is Addicted To Cartoonnetwork by MrCrackles(m): 7:31pm On Oct 11, 2009
,mama-gee:

Get over it, every child is addicted to cartoonnetwork. undecided
GBAM!
And the ones that are not addicted are the ones who dont have the privy to see cartoon network on the regs! cool
Re: Help My Child Is Addicted To Cartoonnetwork by benedictac(f): 3:18pm On Oct 12, 2009
If u cant discipline ur child at 7 when will u do that? Maybe u've been too soft on him, be a little hard now that wont kill the child. The bible says train up a child in the way he should go and when he grows up, he will not depart from it. At the way u are letting this boy loose u might just regrete it later. Set the rules and dont bend it. I dont know if it is a christian home, but if it is, pray and study the bible together at the family alter this will help alot.

creat more time for your child(ren) dont leave everything in the hand of the house help. You just called the house help STUPID here then i wonder what u call him at home and in ur child's presence.

see my dear, pls check ur attitude first. before u can transform a child or a family u need to be transformed as a wife first.
Re: Help My Child Is Addicted To Cartoonnetwork by netotse(m): 3:53pm On Oct 12, 2009
i'm loving the advice on this page. . .except for the ppl that advocate doing nothing. the guy shld take a longterm view of things, the way he's going now wont help him in future!
Re: Help My Child Is Addicted To Cartoonnetwork by snowdrops(m): 8:01pm On Oct 12, 2009
You need to make him understand why you are restricting assess to his favourite channels. Also rather than see it as all bad, you can turn it to your advantage. Tell him if he for example does his home work, completes his share of tasks, then he can have some minutes to watch the programme. You can even add other incentives like toys, out to the park etc. The reward can be proportional to how well he is complying with house/school rules. That way it acts as a motivator. If he does not do as he is told, then no cartoon at all. Withdraw other incentives.
Be firm, consistent but fair. Otherwise he might think you are being punitive, can become withdrawn, rebel or go outside the home to watch these programmes. You need to carry him along in whatever approach you use.
Re: Help My Child Is Addicted To Cartoonnetwork by Radiant(f): 12:54am On Oct 13, 2009
Failing his promotional exam is no joke. Woman needs to be very strict. Where's his father btw?
Re: Help My Child Is Addicted To Cartoonnetwork by mrsb(f): 10:00am On Oct 13, 2009
All kids given half the chance would watch cartoon network all day (God knows why - have you ever actually watched it - some very very weird and surreal cartoons on there) or play on their nintendo ds or whatever.

They need discipline and attention. I know its hard - I work full time too and leave a lot of the child rearing to my nanny - she knows to do the kids homework when they get back from school, make sure they eat something and then read or play outside. Please get new staff or train yours better. Whatever they learn now they will carry with them for quite sometime. Call them when you're out and check what they are doing and honestly unplug the tv and hude the remote if you have to.

We had to stop my son playing with his Nintendo games as he was getting addictive and was literally in his own little world, he would get very irritable and nasty if you took it away or tried to do something else with it. He is now only allowed to play it for a few years on Sat and Sun. He went cold turkey and was horrible for the first week but now its fine and he's happy playing with educational toys/drawing etc in his downtime.

Good luck!
Re: Help My Child Is Addicted To Cartoonnetwork by Nobody: 6:27pm On Oct 13, 2009
why isnt he watching educational tv? I thought they normally air that in the mornings. Some of the shows reinforce what the children are supposed to be learning in school.

You might have to be a bit more strict with him and btw teach him to respect the househelp by your own example.

I had a couple of friends who failed pry one due to excessive playfulness but they turned out alright later- at least they moved on to college after they were grown.
Re: Help My Child Is Addicted To Cartoonnetwork by ubiaa5(f): 8:55pm On Oct 13, 2009
all kids love cartoon ntwk given the opportunity,but when their grades suffer becos of that then there is a serious problem,better take all d good advice youve been given n instill discipline in him now,u can only catch them young.
Re: Help My Child Is Addicted To Cartoonnetwork by Nobody: 11:55am On Oct 14, 2009
My friend you are a parent act like one. Let your child learn to respect his minder and others around him. If the child does not respect your househelp its probably because he has reported her to you more than once and you have scolded her in his presence, its rude and wrong, yu need to correct that or it will be the same with every house help. My nephews teacher reported that he found it hard to concentrate in class and i traced it to cartoon network too, so now both he and his minder have limited cartoon time, especially on school days. I help them both do their homework when i get back from work, and my nephew like any kid likes to report but when he comes to me to report the maid, i never scold her in his presence, plus i hear her own side of the story. This way, he knows he has to respect her when we are not around plus i try to teach her to earn his respect by treating her like a smart young woamn and not a stupid househelp like you are doing. We need to learn to treat people well, and groom them too because what you teach her is what your son will learn. Put your foot down on the cartoon, some spanking will do him a lot of good. Its your call, indulging a child is not loving him
Re: Help My Child Is Addicted To Cartoonnetwork by axeman85(m): 10:20pm On Oct 14, 2009
@poster

Buy him brighter grammer and tell him to start learning timestable and make him understand the consequences of not being able to recite it. and also before u go to bed at night, remove ur smartcard abi na dstv card so u dnt forget in the morning. or better still instruct the househelp to put tv on btw certain times and after that its off to his books. and if you cant monitor him, make sure yur wife does.
Re: Help My Child Is Addicted To Cartoonnetwork by davidif: 6:07am On Oct 15, 2009
Hi everyone,My Son of just seven years[7]old is addicted to cartoonnetwork.The rate at which He watches cartoons is alarming and it seems to have an adverse effect on him.He no long loves to read his books and do anyother thing.I caught him this morning around 5.30 A.m stuck to the T.v Screen.the sad part of it is that he failed his promotional examination to move on to class 2.Please help what do I do? should i call Dstv to scramble to network/if its possible

To be blunt, flog the living day lights out of him, he wouldn't die, he would just be a better student.

Proverbs 23:13-14 (King James Version)

13Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.

14Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.
Re: Help My Child Is Addicted To Cartoonnetwork by ayomidej(f): 4:24pm On Oct 15, 2009
Don't you have any control over your child, discipline him now before he gets out of hand
Re: Help My Child Is Addicted To Cartoonnetwork by benincitys(f): 2:19pm On Oct 17, 2009
my 2 1/2 year old is the same looking for way to stop her from this bad habit.
Re: Help My Child Is Addicted To Cartoonnetwork by Sagamite(m): 2:52pm On Oct 18, 2009
As you lay your bed, so you lie on it.

As you raise your kids, so they turn to be.

This is one of the warnings I have been giving for years to people that in the society we live in today, the media has MORE influence in nurturing kids than parents. So watch what they consume and how much they consume from the media.

Monitoring the consumption of your kids does not make you old-fashioned or uncool as some people would advocate. BOLLOCKS.

I have absolutely no intentions of having any cable/satellite TV in my house when I have kids because it is TRASH that is on most of them.

"Paris Hilton's British best friend"

"Skins"

"Hollyoaks"

"Big Brother"

"Gossip girls"

etc

Utter Trash!!!

Get a grip and ensure TV (AND INTERNET) is at minimum in your child's life.

That is how some stupid Oyinbo would be complaining they did not know their teenage daughter is being groomed by a paedo online. What the hell is such a child doing on chatrooms on the internet?
Re: Help My Child Is Addicted To Cartoonnetwork by Sagamite(m): 2:59pm On Oct 18, 2009
babs2aroks:

Thanks pittbaby,
The problem is really bad for me.If i leave the palor for a second his jets to the remote and back.His house help is so stupid that he talks to her in any manner he wants.[/b]He only time he behaves is when am around and thats like 6-7pm in the evening so u can imagine how much he has watched from 2pm.I tried caring my smartcard to work but kept on forgetting it some days.Any more Ideas?

When next he is rude to the house help. Get the house help to give him 4 good strokes of the cane in front of you.

biina:

Addicted to cartoon network? undecided
If he was not watching TV, [b]what should he be doing?

does he have other activities to engage him or you expect him to sit down twiddling his thumbs?
How did he fail his promotional exam overnight? didnt you see it coming? how were his homework, grades etc before failing?
I think u need to pay more attention to your kid.

Scrabble?
Monopoly?
Ludo?
Snake and Ladders?
Chess?
Other intellectually stimulating and fun activities.

benincitys:

my 2 1/2 year old is the same looking for way to stop her from this bad habit.

This one is still OK. Milk age. Let her enjoy and poo poo around.
Re: Help My Child Is Addicted To Cartoonnetwork by benincitys(f): 9:17am On Oct 19, 2009
milk age you call it nothing like that she is addicted to it i need help.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Would You Fire A Maid With HIV? / So Mad: Is This One Selfie Or Madness? See What This Two Student Did In The Name / Married For Six Years Husband Hiv Positive Wife Negative Advise The Wife Pls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.