Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,766 members, 7,820,677 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:20 PM

The Top 6 Most Expensive Video Games Ever Developed - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / The Top 6 Most Expensive Video Games Ever Developed (3394 Views)

6 Most Annoyingly Overpowered Video Games Character / Video Games That Killed People In Real Life (Photos, Video) / The Best Games Ever Made On Ps3, If U Haven't Played These Games Don't Buy A Ps4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Top 6 Most Expensive Video Games Ever Developed by Lordsurh: 7:02pm On Sep 16, 2016

When you hear about “large budget” in the entertainment industry it is always about the movies section, most people forget to see how fast and quick the video games section is closing the gap in recent years.

Rather than focus on how much video games made in recent years, we decided we would make a list about the video games that were the most expensive to make in history of the planet we call ‘home’.

It is easier to talk and write about the big money that has been spent in movie industry when creating movies, from capital spent on gadget and costumes to expensive cars, but most times the video game industry is over-looked even with the large capital investment it has gotten in recent years.

So here we haveThe Top 6 Most Expensive Video Games Ever Developed. In other words, the games that cost even more than what some Hollywood big budgets are for major movies.

Keep in mind, various lists tend to have different price tags regarding these games, so we counted them all together and averaged them. Deal with it.

Star Citizen: $116 Million

Seems OFF right? -Not what you expected ? For the list of the most expensive video games of all time to start with a game one out of ten people have never heard of before. Well a lot was spent on this ambitious video game, and and ambition is often matched with high production costs. In this case, you are talking about almost $12o million, which, when compared to the rest of this list, is pretty much chump change.

Wait until you see the kind of money getting tossed around by entry number one later down the list.

Star Wars: The Older Republic: $210 Million

The Star Wars MMORPG was developed by more than 800 people over six years and cost $200 million.

This is one example where the end game did NOT live up to the budget put into it and many people ended up losing their jobs. Just shows you, the business truly is a gamble. Expensive doesn’t always mean people will eat it up. But when done right you get games like….

Final Fantasy 7: $214 Million

[img]http://themepack.me/i/c/749x468/media/g/183/final-fantasy-vii-theme-9.jpg[/img]

The most amazing thing about this one is that most video games in this list came out within the last decade at least. Final Fantasy 7 came out almost 20 years ago WOW! Putting $214 million into a single video game was such a gamble at that time, but eventually it was a gamble that paid off, changing the lives of most of the geeks who played it.

Grand Theft Auto 5: $ 269 Million

Honestly we all thought Grand Theft Auto V should be top of the list. The details in this game was top-class and it has so few glitches, just seems impossible to make a game so flawlessly, but they did, and did it for under 270 million.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2: $274 Million

[img]http://www.ferra.ru/images/256/256902.jpg[/img]

We all know one of the Call of Duty games should make this list. Activision doesn’t spare any expense for this FPS they seem to remake every year and no expenses were spared when they made the follow up to their MEGA HIT Modern Warfare.

As a person who lives currently in Nigeria, trying to understand what you could do with $274 million is like trying to memorize Pi to the 2000’th digit. Impossible! Possibly maybe, i could bring my country out of it’s current predicament with that huge sum of money.

We talking about how huge the money spent on Call of Duty was…. wait until you see the next…

Destiny ..... Read more and see trailers >>>http://smartgeek.com.ng/2016/09/16/top-6-expensive-video-games-ever/
Re: The Top 6 Most Expensive Video Games Ever Developed by scaramenga: 7:08pm On Sep 16, 2016
Upon all the money, ludo and kalo kalo still beat them hands down

Moral of the story: when you're mouthed you don't need advert

1 Like

Re: The Top 6 Most Expensive Video Games Ever Developed by cao(f): 7:09pm On Sep 16, 2016
Destiny: $500 million
Now try to think about that for a second and don’t pee on yourself. Try to ponder that actual amount. Half a billion if you din’t notice- Dollar not Naira (Nigerian currency) ooooo..

We are talking about a game that, without corrupt officials it budget could be used differently, could’ve FUNDED A SMALL COUNTRY (!=Nigeria). Instead some group of individuals decided to use that money to create the most expensive video game ever, an online game that some people adore and some people think sucks.

Is that kind of indecisiveness between your fan base what you would expect from investing half a billion?
That's a rather dick move to not put the last entry. Yes, you can edit your article to make it more NL friendly...but seriously dude not cool.
Re: The Top 6 Most Expensive Video Games Ever Developed by HyDef(m): 11:24pm On Sep 16, 2016
Star Citizen isn't out yet, definitely why I haven't heard of it. They could do better though with the marketing. Same way everyone I knew wouldn't shut up about No Man's Sky.

Regarding FFVII, Google says it went for $45m, equivalent to $66m today. Although it was the most expensive at the time.
I dunno where you got that value from though. Cuz I think Square Enix would have been deemed absolutely insane to spend over $200m on a game back then.
Re: The Top 6 Most Expensive Video Games Ever Developed by Nobody: 1:06pm On Sep 17, 2016
HyDef:

Regarding FFVII, Google says it went for $45m, equivalent to $66m today. Although it was the most expensive at the time.
I dunno where you got that value from though. Cuz I think Square Enix would have been deemed absolutely insane to spend over $200m on a game back then.
OP is a fake blogger if this is found true. Thanks brother. You just strengthened my resolve to always carry out independent research rather than believe half truths and misinformation.
Re: The Top 6 Most Expensive Video Games Ever Developed by HyDef(m): 3:38pm On Sep 17, 2016
charix:

OP is a fake blogger if this is found true. Thanks brother. You just strengthened my resolve to always carry out independent research rather than believe half truths and misinformation.

You're welcome. smiley

Not that you should doubt everything, but it's very important to take the information of 3rd parties with a pinch of salt. Or a whole spoon if you must. Helps you weed out the untruths.

I won't have another classmate telling me he has a Nintendo 64 360. angry
Re: The Top 6 Most Expensive Video Games Ever Developed by Lordsurh: 1:01pm On Jan 04, 2017
THis games are cool mehn

(1) (Reply)

File Assistant For Psp Ver 3.71 M33 Two / Needed Download Link For The Old Winning Eleven 2012 Konami / Chess Competition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.