Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,754 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:26 AM

Bible Gurus In The House, What Did Jesus Meant To Say In Matthew 10:34 - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Bible Gurus In The House, What Did Jesus Meant To Say In Matthew 10:34 (1004 Views)

Please HELP ME INTERPRET Matt 10:34 / Matthew 10:28 : Fear God Who Can Throw Us Into Hell? - Paul Ellis / How To Understand Mathew 10:34 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bible Gurus In The House, What Did Jesus Meant To Say In Matthew 10:34 by richidinho(m): 6:58am On Sep 18, 2016
Matt 10:34 says "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword"

35 says "For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law".

And verse 36 says "A man's enemies will be the members of his own household".

http://biblehub.com/matthew/10-34.htm

Lalasticlala are you a bible guru? Pls epp me
Seun
Re: Bible Gurus In The House, What Did Jesus Meant To Say In Matthew 10:34 by Nobody: 7:07am On Sep 18, 2016
Like the nigeria situation..we kill cos of religion and burnt down religious centres..via what's happening around the world..
If he had not come..do you think there would have been peace..and salvation?
Re: Bible Gurus In The House, What Did Jesus Meant To Say In Matthew 10:34 by nelson16(m): 7:10am On Sep 18, 2016
It means that the gospel might be unpalatable to the human being. It might seem unreasonable to the human wisdom; and potentially cause conflict even among family members.

4 Likes

Re: Bible Gurus In The House, What Did Jesus Meant To Say In Matthew 10:34 by richidinho(m): 7:14am On Sep 18, 2016
bounty007:
Like the nigeria situation..we kill cos of religion and burnt down religious centres..via what's happening around the world..
If he had not come..do you think there would have been peace..and salvation?

Please go thru it again but this time slowly
Or better still open the link there are more bible versions that can help
Re: Bible Gurus In The House, What Did Jesus Meant To Say In Matthew 10:34 by johntredon: 7:17am On Sep 18, 2016
In the Gospel of Ephesians chapter 2 verses 16-17 Paul states:

16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:

17 And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.

So note that Paul claims that Jesus came and preached peace unto the people, however so it this 100% true? No, it is not, because when we read the first 4 eye-witness accounts of Jesus, we see that Jesus said something quite opposite:

Mat 10:34 Think not that I am come to send
peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword
So Jesus makes it crystal clear that he is not here to send peace, far from it.

Let us in fact read on from Matthew:
Verse 35:
For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

So in Jesus' own words, he did not come down to preach peace as Paul wrongly stated, Jesus refutes Paul on this!
Re: Bible Gurus In The House, What Did Jesus Meant To Say In Matthew 10:34 by Nobody: 7:20am On Sep 18, 2016
richidinho:

Please go thru it again but this time slowly
Or better still open the link there are more bible versions that can help

I understand you..reason I reply you.
Re: Bible Gurus In The House, What Did Jesus Meant To Say In Matthew 10:34 by dueal(m): 7:27am On Sep 18, 2016
That verse needs the next two or three for you to understand it. And I believe someone mentioned message and relationship disagreements.

He came with a sword to divide commonly accepted beliefs. And when beliefs differ people become enemies.
Re: Bible Gurus In The House, What Did Jesus Meant To Say In Matthew 10:34 by Mailthaddeus(m): 10:56am On Sep 18, 2016
It's self explanatory! Read thru the whole chapter! In a family for example, A son may decide to embrace christ and become a born again, this might not go well with other members of the family, as a result discord and disunity sets in as a result of d son accepting Jesus.

He said this so that we be aware of what is yet to come for those who believe in Him.
Re: Bible Gurus In The House, What Did Jesus Meant To Say In Matthew 10:34 by jared007: 1:08pm On Sep 18, 2016
Hi richidinho when u read a bible verse ensure u read it in context by reading d preceeding verses and other related chapters and verses. Matt21: 21 talks about enemity of relatives. The gospel brings strife in families and nations becos some love darkness rather than light (Jn 3: 18-21; 2cor 2: 16-17; 4:2-4 ).
Re: Bible Gurus In The House, What Did Jesus Meant To Say In Matthew 10:34 by Charlesdock(m): 1:30pm On Sep 18, 2016
It mean that the gospel would not be palatable to all. Just as it later happen. The truth the christians knew cost them their lives during the early C. E.
Re: Bible Gurus In The House, What Did Jesus Meant To Say In Matthew 10:34 by richidinho(m): 6:15pm On Sep 18, 2016
jared007:
Hi richidinho when u read a bible verse ensure u read it in context by reading d preceeding verses and other related chapters and verses. Matt21: 21 talks about enemity of relatives. The gospel brings strife in families and nations becos some love darkness rather than light (Jn 3: 18-21; 2cor 2: 16-17; 4:2-4 ).

Tnx bro!
Re: Bible Gurus In The House, What Did Jesus Meant To Say In Matthew 10:34 by Ranchhoddas: 6:18pm On Sep 18, 2016
It means what it means. The rabbi came to ''foment trouble''.
Re: Bible Gurus In The House, What Did Jesus Meant To Say In Matthew 10:34 by adjoviomole(m): 11:07pm On Sep 18, 2016
it is inevitable that there will be conflict between good and evil, the Christ and the antichrist, the light and the darkness, the children of God (believers) and the children of the devil (those who refuse Christ). Conflict must arise between the two groups, and this can and does happen within a family in which some are believers and others are not. We should seek to be at peace with all men but should never forget that Jesus warned we will be hated for His sake. Because those who reject Him hate Him, they will hate His followers as well ( John 15:18). In Matthew 10:34–36, Jesus said He had come at this time not to bring peace to the earth, but a sword, a weapon which divides and severs. As a result of His visit to the earth, some children would be set against parents and a man’s enemies might be those within his own household. This is because many who choose to follow Christ are hated by their family members. This may be part of the cost of discipleship, for love of family should not be greater than love for the Lord. A true disciple must take up his cross and follow Jesus ( Matthew 16:24). He must be willing to face not only family hatred, but also death, like a criminal carrying his cross to his own execution. True followers of Christ must be willing to give up, even to the point of “hating” all that is in our lives, even our own families, if we are to be worthy of Him ( Matthew 10:37–39). In so doing, we find our lives in return for having given them up to Jesus Christ. Recom

1 Like

Re: Bible Gurus In The House, What Did Jesus Meant To Say In Matthew 10:34 by mayorall(m): 1:52am On Sep 19, 2016
richidinho:
Matt 10:34 says "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword"

35 says "For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law".

And verse 36 says "A man's enemies will be the members of his own household".

http://biblehub.com/matthew/10-34.htm

Lalasticlala are you a bible guru? Pls epp me
Seun

Bishop Oyedepo explained verse 36 as the parts of our body that causes us to sin. Man sees gun with his eye, Iearnt to use it with his brain, kills with his hands. Man sees opposite sex with his eye, fornicate using other parts. "people of his household...

1 Like

Re: Bible Gurus In The House, What Did Jesus Meant To Say In Matthew 10:34 by orisa37: 11:11am On Dec 11, 2016
The Conscience breathed into Adam is different from that of Eve, Cain and/ Abel. Also, that of Abraham is different from those of Ishmael and Isaac. What is in a father is different from what is in the Mother, mother in law, son, daughter and so on. The Conscience in each of us is the Black Box of God in each of us. The Conscience is the Soul that returns to The Supreme Spirit when we die. God made the Conscience individualistic. And God judges us by our Conscience individualistically. Jesus was asking us to be individually responsible, because God will not allow Eve to witness the Judgment of Adam.

(1) (Reply)

Prostitute In Church / 2018 Rccg Holy Ghost Service (stronger Than Your Enemies) / Nigerian Catholic Bishops Elect New President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.