Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,128 members, 7,818,384 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:05 PM

How Do I Get A Patent Right - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Do I Get A Patent Right (894 Views)

I Need A Patent Registered / Patent Right / How Can I Get A Patent Right To A Product In Nigeria And Maybe Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Get A Patent Right by Cwhyte(m): 1:50pm On Oct 11, 2009
I have this idea and I want to protect it with d intellectual property law
how do i go about it?
Re: How Do I Get A Patent Right by madlady(f): 2:48pm On Oct 11, 2009
Poster

Go online to the PATENT OFFICE and get  all the Patent forms sent to you, you can do it yourself. I have done it for a friend, I am defo not a brainbox and I managed to do it.
It will take you some time to determine the correct patent/design patent you will need.

You will also need to do a full search amongst the registered patents to make sure nothing too  similar to your idea.

You may have to send the forms back a few times, but you will get it done in the end.

You can get a Patent agent, but they cost a bomb.
Re: How Do I Get A Patent Right by Cwhyte(m): 4:23pm On Oct 11, 2009
Thanj u madlady
can u plz tel me d website to go to
Re: How Do I Get A Patent Right by madlady(f): 4:34pm On Oct 11, 2009
C.whyte

I will go online and get back to you.

If you wait I will get  unto the friend I did  it for, he  holds the  the design patents for the UK, even though he his Nigerian. We thought about going for world wide, but just too time consuming for me to do. I think you will be able to do that one for yourself.

You will need to submit drawings, that was the easy part for me because i paint, but I think you can submit line drawings which are basic.

I will get back to you.
Re: How Do I Get A Patent Right by cvibe: 5:05pm On Oct 11, 2009
Madlady,

Are you referring to UK or Nigerian patent registrations?
Re: How Do I Get A Patent Right by madlady(f): 5:52pm On Oct 11, 2009
Poster,

He's just got back to me, he said just google "worldwide patent" then go to the Africa section, may come under Aripo, African Regional Intellectual Property Organization.

One thing I will tell you, i  found it very hard to work my way, but I am sure you will not have this problem, and cvibe, you are right , could be different doing it from Nigeria.
Do try to look into it very closely, you maybe told that it must be done by a Patent Officer or a Lawyer, he was told that, but needs most.
Re: How Do I Get A Patent Right by madlady(f): 9:15pm On Oct 11, 2009
@poster,

One more thing I found, it was really horrible searching existing patents, even if you really have a FANTASTIC idea, this is how you may come unstuck.

I would never do it again, it took me about 6 months to complete the darn project, so if you can afford a Patent agent/lawyer it may be better for you, you never know it may be cheaper in Nigeria to hire such.
Re: How Do I Get A Patent Right by Cwhyte(m): 10:49pm On Oct 11, 2009
Thank u so much madlady
u've bin very helpful
Re: How Do I Get A Patent Right by madlady(f): 6:28am On Oct 12, 2009
C.whyte,

Good luck, I am sure it will go well for you.

(1) (Reply)

Are U Living At Onitsha, Asaba, Awka, Nnewi, Read This! / Please I Need Waste Of Milo, Bournvita Or Any Cocoa Products Like Chocolate Etc / Don't Work Only For Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.