Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,684 members, 7,816,792 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:16 PM

Idemudia The Village Boy - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Idemudia The Village Boy (3889 Views)

Nigerian Authors Commence Building Of Writers’ Village / Short Story: The Village Visitor / How The Witches Follow You From The Village (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by collinometricx: 1:58pm On Nov 30, 2016
Idemudia
Chapter Twelve
Bingo ran out of the small room as soon as
Idemudia opened the door. There was absolutely no
fun to be had inside the gate man's house. The dog
ran into the open field, went round in circles, sniffed
randomly at some grasses and ran back toward
them.
"What is he doing?" Uyi asked.
"Who told you its a he?"
"Shoo!" Uyi snapped two fingers in front of her face
and drew a semi circle in the air as girls her age
often did. "I blind?"
"Don't worry, pay attention. You'll see what 'he's' up
to." Idemudia replied, grinning. He had never
thought of Bingo as a he before.
Bingo continued jumping for some more seconds,
before getting down to business.
"All that drama just to pee? Na wa for your dog o."
"Dat na only the first part o. Keep looking."
Idemudia was getting more comfortable with Uyi. It
was easier for him to revert to pidgin English now.
Bingo moved further into the tall grasses.
"What? Is he shy? Awwwww." Uyi blocked her
nostrils with the back of her left palm in a mock
gesture. "Wetin you give am chop?"
"No be me o. That dog eats anything."
Both of them stood watching Bingo in silence.
Thankfully, most of the students had already left the
compound.
"Hope your girlfriends aren't mad at me for stealing
you away from them o?" Idemudia asked.
Uyi laughed. "Am I their mother?"
"Okay. I rest my case!"
"No o, no rest the case. Carry am for head na."
They moved towards the school gate with Bingo
trotting in front of them.
"I was telling you about my mum earlier."
"Please you don't have..."
"I want to tell you about myself na." Uyi cut in. "Am
I complaining? See o!"
Idemudia swallowed what he had wanted to say.
"I'm mostly always alone. But people don't
understand." Uyi paused. "My mum has money sha.
I won't lie about that one. She gets gifts from these
men. They're all married o. So. It's not like I can
even go to any of their houses or play with my
supposed half sisters and brothers sef. Hmmm. It's
frustrating."
Idemudia stepped sideways. Bingo had run back to
them and was trying to jump on him. "Jump on Uyi
as well na. Haba!"
"Bingo respects me. He's a good dog." Uyi retorted,
poking her tongue at him.
Bingo's ears went up in a flash. It jumped on Uyi in
that instant, leaving a long dusty stripe on her blue
skirt. "Awwwww," Uyi pouted as she made an
attempt to wipe the dust off her skirt with both
hands. "You're still a good dog sha. Don't mind
Ides."
Bingo's breath came in short rapid bursts. Tongue
dripping with saliva, it jumped on ahead of them
again.
"So what happened to your dad?" Idemudia asked
as soon as Bingo was gone.
"My mum says he's dead."
"Oh I'm so..."
"Shhhhh!" Uyi placed two fingers on Idemudia's lips.
"I don't believe her jor. One day when she came
back home really drunk, she screamed at me and
said I should go and join my useless father in
Benin."
"Benin?"
"Don't worry. The next day she denied and said he's
dead again. "But Benin is not too far na. It's only
about forty five minutes from Irrua here."
"So?"
"We could go in search of your dad na."
"Really?" Uyi stepped back, her gaze travelling the
length and breadth of Idemudia steadily. "So I go
just enter motor go Bini then reach there and begin
to shout my father's name from the motor park,
abi?"
"Sorry, I wasn't thinking." Idemudia apologised.
"Chai. You too like apology sef." Uyi complained.
"It's not your fault na. It would have been a good
idea if I had the address or even a real name. God!"
Idemudia didn't know what to say. "Does your mum
drink, seriously?"
"No be English I speak? My mum is always drunk."
"Jesu!" Idemudia exclaimed.
"Kristi", Uyi added.
Uyi couldn't understand herself anymore. Was she
infatuated with Ides? She didn't think so. Maybe she
needed a male figure in her life since she grew up
without a father. But she knew it wasn't that either.
Well, maybe a bit. She saw something in the boy
that she couldn't explain. It was destiny.
"Uyi!"
"Yes mum!"
"Come and lock the door behind me. And don't stay
up, I'll be late."
"Uyi got off her bed and went downstairs. Her mum
was already by the door. She wore a black flowing
evening dress. Her mum loved looking good. She
had the most expensive dresses and jewellery. And
the shoes? She could start a boutique or something
with them. Uyi blocked her nostrils as she came
closer to her mum.
"What's that for?"
"It's the perf mum. Do you always have to wear it
that much?" Uyi stood by the door as though she
couldn't wait to close the thing.
The older woman rolled her eyes at the ceiling.
"Like I said, I'd be home late." She paused. Her
daughter seemed distracted. "Uyi?"
"Ma'am?"
"Did you hear what I said?"
Uyi hadn't. She'd been too busy wondering why her
mum always had too much make up on, even at
night. She wasn't really a beautiful woman. Why kill
herself trying to be? It was so embarrassing. "No
ma'am." Uyi responded.
"I said I'd come home late. Don't wait up."
'You may as well come tomorrow', Uyi muttered
under her breath.
"What did you say?"
"Nothing!"
"Oh don't you start Uyi. Now I can't go out? What do
you want me to do. You have everything you need in
this beautiful house. What more could you want."
"A dad mum!" Uyi screamed. She felt like breaking
something.
"What?"
"You heard me mum. I need a father. Is that too
much to ask? What am I doing with an empty house
and endless food if I have to always stay here
alone?"
"Uyi! Uyi, come back here."
Ms Juliana watched her daughter run back up the
stairs to her room, a puzzled look on her face.
What has come over her? Where was this coming
from? She shrugged off the thought. Uyi wasn't
going to spoil her evening. She went out
determinedly and locked the door after her. Good afternoon dear. Hope you had a great day?
Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by xaviercasmir(m): 10:40pm On Nov 30, 2016
at last the update is here. More grease to your elbow. And more update pls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by collinometricx: 12:45am On Dec 01, 2016
xaviercasmir:
at last the update is here. More grease to your elbow. And more update pls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.thanks bro
Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by Nobody: 1:23am On Dec 01, 2016
Idemudia Chapter Thirteen Three weeks had passed since Idemudia returned to school. He tried his best to catch up with his school work. Now that he had found reason to live again, there was nothing holding him back. He could tell Ine was impressed by his new relationship, since she never stopped praising Uyi anytime she came around. Ohis even managed to pass his final exams from basic five. All his younger brother needed now was money to take the entrance examination. Things were moving smoothly. Well, maybe not that smoothly. His dad still drank all day and was never home at nights. But Idemudia had given up on the man. He made sure Ine never knew of the affair his dad was having with Ini Paepae behind her back. A day will come when he would sort that out for good. For now, he was letting things be. Like mosquito said, he had his own life to live. "Conye", a voice called, breaking into his thoughts. Idemudia froze. Not again! "You dey Krays for head?" It was Fryo. But there was something not quite right about his appearance today. Yes, he still had dirty matted hair, and a general unkempt personality. But he had no clothes on at all. "Whia you dey go?" "Bros, I wan go collect result for skul." Idemudia replied, doing his best to keep his eyes on Fryo's face. "You see de maga?" Idemudia's eyes strayed down, but he quickly raised them up again. He looked behind him. All he saw there was Bingo. The dog gazed at Fryo with a slight slant to its head. It may have noticed something was amiss as well. "Which maga bros?" Idemudia finally asked meekly. Fryo scratched his head rapidly. Then he killed some imaginary mosquitoes around his head. "Oh, maga. Maga o. No try me o. Na me be de boss. Where de maga?" Fryo jumped high into the air and ran forward. He stopped abruptly, looked back at Idemudia then continued running down Edaiken street. Idemudia stared at the naked boy for some time. What was wrong with Fryo? The weather wasn't that hot na. Besides, it was still morning. How can a whole Fryo; the dreaded and respected Fryo be running around the street, stark naked? Just as Idemudia was about to continue his journey, Mosquito walked up to him. His gait had assumed a more bossy touch to it. "Skul boi, how far na?" "Bros mosquito," Idemudia made his customary deep bow, "good morning bros." "Morning. Erm, how skul na? Shey you dey jack o?" "Yes bros, na result I wan even go take sef." "Dat kain tins, korect!" Mosquito seemed to be combing the street with his gaze. He turned to Idemudia. "Erm... Fryo pass here?" "Yes bros. E don run go down..." Idemudia couldn't ask the question he so desperately wanted to ask. "Dey go skul na, skul boi. Fryo head don knock kpata kpata o. No remedy. Wallai!" Mosquito looked down the street again. "Which side e run enta?" "Ah bros, e turn for down down sha. I no too sure like dat." "No wahala. Later na." Mosquito hooked his right hand to his loins, dragging up his dirty jean trousers in the process. Then he raised his left shoulder high and continued down the road with his new found bossy gait. Igbo smoke rose out of his lips and hung about his head like a saint's halo in a landscape. *** "How's yours? Uyi asked. Idemudia unfolded the single sheet of paper in front of her. "It's not that bad, all things considered." Uyi stared at the paper completely amazed. "Wow! How you take dey do am sef." Idemudia smiled shyly. "What na?" "Ask me again." Uyi took the sheet of paper and ran towards her friends. Idemudia followed her at a more reasonable pace. "Idemudia!" "Yes sir." What was Mr Ekatah doing in the open field? "Good result!" "Thank you sir." The man removed his glasses, rubbed his protruding stomach fondly and smiled. "How did you do it? I mean, I know you're intelligent, but coming top of the class after missing school for two weeks? That's nothing short of genius. You're a genius." "Thank you sir." "Continue like this and we might consider you for the scholarship entry in your final year." Idemudia swallowed. "Keep it up." Mr Ekatah replaced his glasses. "Jesus boy!" He screamed. "Must the dog follow you everywhere?" Mr Ekatah left in a hurry toward the administrative block. "Genius! At least I heard that one." Uyi was back with Idemudia's result. "See my own result. I know you'll not ask." "But I was going to..." "I pray o." "Wow! Fifth? You came fifth? Wow?" "Why you dey shout? Amina that came second, is she fatter than me?" Uyi had a pleased smile playing around her lips. "Uyi na," Idemudia began, "it's not like that. But this is the first time you're taking fifth since Jss one na. Haba!" "Ehen? Laugh me na. No be me use my mouth tell you? Why was I reading with you almost everyday? No be to carry second?" "But fifth from eleventh isn't bad at all." "I know jor." Uyi said. "My mum will die of jealousy today." "Speaking of your mum..." "She's cooperating na. You wan try? I stopped eating whenever she's around, pretending to starve myself. I told you na." "So?" "So she finally gave me my dad's address." "Wow! That's awesome!" "Yea yea! So maybe I'll take your advice and go look for him this holiday. Will you come with me?" "Your wish is my command." Idemudia cleared his throat. "Ehen, Fryo is now mad o. Too much Igbo..." "Jesu!" Uyi exclaimed. "Kristi!" Idemudia added. As Idemudia and Uyi continued discussing their future plans in the open field, Bingo took time chasing the smaller students up and down. The dog had never seen so many people gathered in one place... The End! .Optional1
Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by xaviercasmir(m): 5:22am On Dec 01, 2016
what i like much about this story is that you will sense that street vibe in it.
Keep it up bro!!!!
Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by empress101(f): 5:50am On Dec 01, 2016
The End??
Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by optional1(f): 8:16am On Dec 01, 2016
monicker:
Idemudia Chapter Thirteen Three weeks had passed since Idemudia returned to school. He tried his best to catch up with his school work. Now that he had found reason to live again, there was nothing holding him back. He could tell Ine was impressed by his new relationship, since she never stopped praising Uyi anytime she came around. Ohis even managed to pass his final exams from basic five. All his younger brother needed now was money to take the entrance examination. Things were moving smoothly. Well, maybe not that smoothly. His dad still drank all day and was never home at nights. But Idemudia had given up on the man. He made sure Ine never knew of the affair his dad was having with Ini Paepae behind her back. A day will come when he would sort that out for good. For now, he was letting things be. Like mosquito said, he had his own life to live. "Conye", a voice called, breaking into his thoughts. Idemudia froze. Not again! "You dey Krays for head?" It was Fryo. But there was something not quite right about his appearance today. Yes, he still had dirty matted hair, and a general unkempt personality. But he had no clothes on at all. "Whia you dey go?" "Bros, I wan go collect result for skul." Idemudia replied, doing his best to keep his eyes on Fryo's face. "You see de maga?" Idemudia's eyes strayed down, but he quickly raised them up again. He looked behind him. All he saw there was Bingo. The dog gazed at Fryo with a slight slant to its head. It may have noticed something was amiss as well. "Which maga bros?" Idemudia finally asked meekly. Fryo scratched his head rapidly. Then he killed some imaginary mosquitoes around his head. "Oh, maga. Maga o. No try me o. Na me be de boss. Where de maga?" Fryo jumped high into the air and ran forward. He stopped abruptly, looked back at Idemudia then continued running down Edaiken street. Idemudia stared at the naked boy for some time. What was wrong with Fryo? The weather wasn't that hot na. Besides, it was still morning. How can a whole Fryo; the dreaded and respected Fryo be running around the street, stark naked? Just as Idemudia was about to continue his journey, Mosquito walked up to him. His gait had assumed a more bossy touch to it. "Skul boi, how far na?" "Bros mosquito," Idemudia made his customary deep bow, "good morning bros." "Morning. Erm, how skul na? Shey you dey jack o?" "Yes bros, na result I wan even go take sef." "Dat kain tins, korect!" Mosquito seemed to be combing the street with his gaze. He turned to Idemudia. "Erm... Fryo pass here?" "Yes bros. E don run go down..." Idemudia couldn't ask the question he so desperately wanted to ask. "Dey go skul na, skul boi. Fryo head don knock kpata kpata o. No remedy. Wallai!" Mosquito looked down the street again. "Which side e run enta?" "Ah bros, e turn for down down sha. I no too sure like dat." "No wahala. Later na." Mosquito hooked his right hand to his loins, dragging up his dirty jean trousers in the process. Then he raised his left shoulder high and continued down the road with his new found bossy gait. Igbo smoke rose out of his lips and hung about his head like a saint's halo in a landscape. *** "How's yours? Uyi asked. Idemudia unfolded the single sheet of paper in front of her. "It's not that bad, all things considered." Uyi stared at the paper completely amazed. "Wow! How you take dey do am sef." Idemudia smiled shyly. "What na?" "Ask me again." Uyi took the sheet of paper and ran towards her friends. Idemudia followed her at a more reasonable pace. "Idemudia!" "Yes sir." What was Mr Ekatah doing in the open field? "Good result!" "Thank you sir." The man removed his glasses, rubbed his protruding stomach fondly and smiled. "How did you do it? I mean, I know you're intelligent, but coming top of the class after missing school for two weeks? That's nothing short of genius. You're a genius." "Thank you sir." "Continue like this and we might consider you for the scholarship entry in your final year." Idemudia swallowed. "Keep it up." Mr Ekatah replaced his glasses. "Jesus boy!" He screamed. "Must the dog follow you everywhere?" Mr Ekatah left in a hurry toward the administrative block. "Genius! At least I heard that one." Uyi was back with Idemudia's result. "See my own result. I know you'll not ask." "But I was going to..." "I pray o." "Wow! Fifth? You came fifth? Wow?" "Why you dey shout? Amina that came second, is she fatter than me?" Uyi had a pleased smile playing around her lips. "Uyi na," Idemudia began, "it's not like that. But this is the first time you're taking fifth since Jss one na. Haba!" "Ehen? Laugh me na. No be me use my mouth tell you? Why was I reading with you almost everyday? No be to carry second?" "But fifth from eleventh isn't bad at all." "I know jor." Uyi said. "My mum will die of jealousy today." "Speaking of your mum..." "She's cooperating na. You wan try? I stopped eating whenever she's around, pretending to starve myself. I told you na." "So?" "So she finally gave me my dad's address." "Wow! That's awesome!" "Yea yea! So maybe I'll take your advice and go look for him this holiday. Will you come with me?" "Your wish is my command." Idemudia cleared his throat. "Ehen, Fryo is now mad o. Too much Igbo..." "Jesu!" Uyi exclaimed. "Kristi!" Idemudia added. As Idemudia and Uyi continued discussing their future plans in the open field, Bingo took time chasing the smaller students up and down. The dog had never seen so many people gathered in one place... The End! .Optional1
Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by collinometricx: 8:50am On Dec 01, 2016
xaviercasmir:
what i like much about this story is that you will sense that street vibe in it.
Keep it up bro!!!!
.thanks bro
Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by Girlyy: 7:13am On Dec 02, 2016
Ghostmode deactivated.I love this story,though short,I learnt from it. Thanks Collinometricx,God bless You! U're too good
Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by collinometricx: 9:49am On Dec 02, 2016
Girlyy:
Ghostmode deactivated.I love this story,though short,I learnt from it. Thanks Collinometricx,God bless You! U're too good
Tnx

(1) (2) (Reply)

Shadows On Waters / Looking For Professional Screenplay Writer Or Screenwriter Or Movie Script / TITANIC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.