Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,365 members, 7,815,780 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:12 PM

10,444 Illegal Private Schools In Lagos To Be Shut Down - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10,444 Illegal Private Schools In Lagos To Be Shut Down (17979 Views)

Angry Father Calls Out Private Schools For Giving Students Too Much Homework / Private schools in Rwanda close down as public schools become more attractive / Unilag To Be Shut Down Tomorrow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10,444 Illegal Private Schools In Lagos To Be Shut Down by NairaMaster1(m): 4:22pm On Sep 20, 2016
10,000 what? Terrible. Only in Lagos? Minus the legal ones! undecided undecided undecided
Re: 10,444 Illegal Private Schools In Lagos To Be Shut Down by Kx: 4:24pm On Sep 20, 2016
"Illegal schools will be shut down yet no govt official would be relieved of his/her duties for looking the other way all along??
Re: 10,444 Illegal Private Schools In Lagos To Be Shut Down by ifenes(m): 4:26pm On Sep 20, 2016
What about churches?
Re: 10,444 Illegal Private Schools In Lagos To Be Shut Down by airsaylongcon: 4:28pm On Sep 20, 2016
Bolustic:
To the guy on the 2nd floor above me, you just wanted to as usual, sway emotions for likes and shares, I am sure you read the adjective ILLEGAL but you intentionally winked at it.

For how long must we support illegality? I am sure LASG would have given them prior notice and they would have thought it's business as usual.

Mind you most of these schools have been operating for years without approvals and are chronic tax evaders.

A chunk of them don't have conducive environment for teaching and learning
, was it not some days ago we read here that a pupil died because of the negligence of the school proprietress who making soap in the school environment?

Even if we don't support a party's ideologies and policies, we should not sacrifice constructive criticism on the altar of partisanship.

My brother, even you know that the bolded applies to considerably more public schools. Besides someone asked how a licensed business can be operating illegally
Re: 10,444 Illegal Private Schools In Lagos To Be Shut Down by Nobody: 4:38pm On Sep 20, 2016
Bolustic:
To the guy on the 2nd floor above me, you just wanted to as usual, sway emotions for likes and shares, I am sure you read the adjective ILLEGAL but you intentionally winked at it.

For how long must we support illegality? I am sure LASG would have given them prior notice and they would have thought it's business as usual.

Mind you most of these schools have been operating for years without approvals and are chronic tax evaders.

A chunk of them don't have conducive environment for teaching and learning, was it not some days ago we read here that a pupil died because of the negligence of the school proprietress who making soap in the school environment?

Even if we don't support a party's ideologies and policies, we should not sacrifice constructive criticism on the altar of partisanship.

I have noted your point. However, please note that the problem with this action is the timing.
If you are a parent, you would understand the consequences better. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: 10,444 Illegal Private Schools In Lagos To Be Shut Down by biggie73(m): 4:43pm On Sep 20, 2016
When Lagos State Government called for meeting and registrations of Lagos State private schools owners, I know Government has very bad news for them.

1 Like

Re: 10,444 Illegal Private Schools In Lagos To Be Shut Down by otunbashonny(m): 5:08pm On Sep 20, 2016
Bolustic:

A chunk of them don't have conducive environment for teaching and learning, was it not some days ago we read here that a pupil died because of the negligence of the school proprietress who making soap in the school environment?

God bless you
Re: 10,444 Illegal Private Schools In Lagos To Be Shut Down by ProptyKing81(m): 5:26pm On Sep 20, 2016
Hello Everyone, I've being a guess on this forum for donkey years, now I have made up my mind to become a member, so who's going to be putting through?
Re: 10,444 Illegal Private Schools In Lagos To Be Shut Down by lightheart(m): 5:38pm On Sep 20, 2016
10, 444 private schools operating illegally in Lagos state may soon lose their license.

Illegality with a license. Who licensed them in the first place? That's the big criminal.
Re: 10,444 Illegal Private Schools In Lagos To Be Shut Down by lakesider(m): 5:41pm On Sep 20, 2016
This one chooses what he wants to eat today over the future of his generation to come
Keneking:
But where is lalasticlala sef shocked

- so unemployment would be on the increase embarassed
- wickedness of government is increasing daily
- who would absorb all those NCE /PGDE graduates angry
- what is the capacity of so called (high tuition) approved schools undecided
- what is the fate of publishers?
- what becomes the fate of parents that have enrolled their wards into those schools?
- why did it take the authorities long to notify the public of this development?
- how do we recognize approved schools? By look, faculty, school fees, school uniform or logo of APC flag and LASG colours?
- what is the quality of the output of the LASG approved schools in terms of terminal exams etc?
- what is the waec/gce result of those expensive approved LASG schools? Show us the trend?
- what about the tax payers funded Lagos state owned schools? what are the conditions? shocked

Useless decision embarassed embarassed
Nonsense government proposal angry cry lipsrsealed embarassed
Hopeless situation
Re: 10,444 Illegal Private Schools In Lagos To Be Shut Down by eyinjuege: 5:53pm On Sep 20, 2016
Nychillax:

Good decision by government, u are absolutely wrong.It is just a threat for them to register under ministry of education and approved by state government. Without approved by the government they won't pay their taxes, another way to boost the state revenue.

It's not even just about the taxes now, but the quality of education in the schools.
Some of the primary schools employ secondary school cert holders to teach primary school children. They employ every Tom, dick and Harry.
Some of the schools don't have regular monitoring by monitoring and regulatory bodies for education, because they're not officially on the radar.
In fact, we have a long way to go in terms of education.
Re: 10,444 Illegal Private Schools In Lagos To Be Shut Down by nikky5(m): 5:54pm On Sep 20, 2016
I cant understand the rational behind this draconian decision. The private school operators are the largest provider of employment in Lagos State. These private school owners suffer untold hardship in the hands of the state government through multiple taxation. This is just a ploy to garner revenue for the state government because an approved school pay about 7 different taxes to the coffers of the state government. This is very unfair because these private school operators are the largest stakeholders of education in Lagos state. The government will give you very stringent condition for approval and you will still part with large chunk of money to ministry officials. Go and see some of their so call Government schools and you will be amazed at the deplorable state of the infrastructure and condition of learning. Sosan tried it and got hand hands burnt.

1 Like

Re: 10,444 Illegal Private Schools In Lagos To Be Shut Down by john650(m): 5:57pm On Sep 20, 2016
This is good news. I hope the school on my street is one of them so I can have peace. I can't imagine the state government would give them a license to operate a secondary school in a residential neighborhood and in a private home. I've been looking for a long time to find someone who would help me shut them down. The kids play lound drums all day.

Does the state have a hotline where people can call in to report cases of illegal operation of a school? I will be the first person to call.
Re: 10,444 Illegal Private Schools In Lagos To Be Shut Down by Nychillax(m): 6:13pm On Sep 20, 2016
eyinjuege:

It's not even just about the taxes now, but the quality of education in the schools.
Some of the primary schools employ secondary school cert holders to teach primary school children. They employ every Tom, dick and Harry.
Some of the schools don't have regular monitoring by monitoring and regulatory bodies for education, because they're not officially on the radar.
In fact, we have a long way to go in terms of education.

Fact.

1 Like

Re: 10,444 Illegal Private Schools In Lagos To Be Shut Down by prinsam30: 6:16pm On Sep 20, 2016
is there any illegal schools in Nigeria at all
Re: 10,444 Illegal Private Schools In Lagos To Be Shut Down by autonomous22: 6:27pm On Sep 20, 2016
10,444 skuls hmmm, na provision store .....
Re: 10,444 Illegal Private Schools In Lagos To Be Shut Down by JustCurious: 6:34pm On Sep 20, 2016
nikky5:
I cant understand the rational behind this draconian decision. The private school operators are the largest provider of employment in Lagos State. These private school owners suffer untold hardship in the hands of the state government through multiple taxation. This is just a ploy to garner revenue for the state government because an approved school pay about 7 different taxes to the coffers of the state government. This is very unfair because these private school operators are the largest stakeholders of education in Lagos state. The government will give you very stringent condition for approval and you will still part with large chunk of money to ministry officials. Go and see some of their so call Government schools and you will be amazed at the deplorable state of the infrastructure and condition of learning. Sosan tried it and got hand hands burnt.

Hmmm, you are so right. That Sosan part brings a lot of memories. Closing down private schools without provisions for the pupil creates even a bigger mess! Most government owned schools are over populated already. So, where would the ejected students, go? And the thousands of staff??

The government need to calm down and find a way of partnering with private schools, especially those who aren't all out for the profit but, to solve a social problem.
It is true that private schools make a lot of money, however not all of them deserve the harsh treatment from LASG. The annual bills/taxes are becoming so unbearable.

Apparently, we have alot of school owners/educators who are social entrepreneurs, people who are set out primarily to cause social change, bridging the education gap, people who arent necessarily doing what they do for profit, but passion. So why wouldn't any government want to partner with them? Shutting down schools would create greater mess.
Re: 10,444 Illegal Private Schools In Lagos To Be Shut Down by bid4rich(m): 6:35pm On Sep 20, 2016
[size=16pt]BravOOOoooooo!!! My Governor. hope you will absorb the affected individual into the state house for immediate employment sha[/size]

1 Like

Re: 10,444 Illegal Private Schools In Lagos To Be Shut Down by Originalsly: 7:50pm On Sep 20, 2016
Hmmm.....schools operating illegally would lose their licence....think this guy went to one of these schools.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10,444 Illegal Private Schools In Lagos To Be Shut Down by Jimi23(m): 7:57pm On Sep 20, 2016
10,000 or 10 million. Una never comb Lagos well well.
Re: 10,444 Illegal Private Schools In Lagos To Be Shut Down by Adeevah(m): 9:22pm On Sep 20, 2016
See threat

Where should the children(students) go to?
Your non-functional, polluted and ill-operated public schools...

Where should the workers(teachers) go to?
To carry arms or join the millions of unemployed graduates...

Why not just tell them to start contributing a termly due to your office or through the EO's account
Re: 10,444 Illegal Private Schools In Lagos To Be Shut Down by Adeevah(m): 9:29pm On Sep 20, 2016
john650:
This is good news. I hope the school on my street is one of them so I can have peace. I can't imagine the state government would give them a license to operate a secondary school in a residential neighborhood and in a private home. I've been looking for a long time to find someone who would help me shut them down. The kids play lound drums all day.

Does the state have a hotline where people can call in to report cases of illegal operation of a school? I will be the first person to call.

Hmmmm...
That's some1'z investment you know
And also many people(teachers) pot of soup
Re: 10,444 Illegal Private Schools In Lagos To Be Shut Down by Biodunkuye(f): 9:30pm On Sep 20, 2016
When govt closes down d schls,wat will happen to owners of the schl,who make a living,wat will happen to the teachers,students,were will dey go frm dere.does d govt have any plan for them.this will only increase the rate of unemployment
Re: 10,444 Illegal Private Schools In Lagos To Be Shut Down by ebucool(m): 11:15pm On Sep 20, 2016
Nigeria changes fm bad to worst, even the once started1990 are all illegal
Re: 10,444 Illegal Private Schools In Lagos To Be Shut Down by nkemjacob2(m): 1:01am On Sep 21, 2016
APC clueless ness is getting activated again
Re: 10,444 Illegal Private Schools In Lagos To Be Shut Down by passyhansome(m): 8:46am On Sep 21, 2016
Nigeria herself is illegal, and doesn't have license to be a country yet. So kini difference?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Violence Mars YABATECH SUG Election, 4 Students Feared Dead / 5 Benefits Of Choosing A Private University And Polytechnic / Kano Spends N1bn On School In Niger Republic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.