Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,600 members, 7,955,211 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 07:39 PM

The Border Town - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Border Town (462 Views)

Flash Short Story: Death At The Border. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Border Town by collinometricx: 10:23pm On Sep 20, 2016
I will like u quys to correct, criticise mhi any were u feel am qoinq wronq
Re: The Border Town by collinometricx: 10:26pm On Sep 20, 2016
The Border Town
Chapter One
Ebosele got up from the King-sized family bed and stretched lazily. It was going to be another long day. But he was determined to enjoy it to the full. He had every bit of the day planned out in detail. He peered outside, trying to see through the blinds of their bedroom window. Then he looked above the Samsung 65" HU 8500 curved Smart 3D TV, which had cost him a fortune, toward the exquisite wall clock that seemed to float just above the expensive contraption. It was 5:05am. No wonder it was still dark outside.
Ebosele looked down at his wife who was still sleeping. She was as beautiful as he remembered her from seven years ago. It was their fifth anniversary as a couple, and they still had no kids. She had always been very worried about their state; more worried than he could ever bring himself to be. Today he wanted her to forget about their childlessness. They were still a young couple, and he believed their babies were on the way. God had blessed them with much wealth. He was certain He'd bless them with children as well. Ebosele had waited till this morning before finally unravelling his plans to her for their anniversary. Last year, he'd taken her to Dubai. He'd been planning another trip for them this year, but business had held him back. Later in the day, he would take her to Sheraton Hotel here in Abuja and they'd celebrate their anniversary in a grand style. He already paid for a brand new Ferrari Sergio at the asking price of $ 3.5 million dollars. It was one out of the only six that were manufactured in the world. He had been selected by auto maker to come pick it up himself, when they became certain that he was for real. He had had to lie to his wife that he was travelling out of the country for a business trip. When he saw the car, he'd been convinced that it was worth every dollar.
Ebosele strolled into the bathroom to get a bathe. He would freshen up, then profess his love for Ese and hit her with his love package for the day. He stretched out his right hand to switch on the tap. He couldn't. He tried again. Again his hand passed through thin air. He panicked. What was wrong? It was then he realised the bathroom door was still closed. How had he passed through without opening the door? Ebosele tried to control his heart beat as it raced faster toward a crescendo. He rushed back into the bedroom. His wife was just coming round. He shouted at the top of his voice. It was a loud shout. But his wife was oblivious. He looked closely beside her and saw his body. What? How come he was still lying down? He jumped back onto the bed and lay on his body, willing the nightmare to cease; to no avail. He heard his wife calling his name. He saw her shake his body many times. He saw the shock on her face, the fear in her eyes and the pain in her voice. He saw her shake him repeatedly as she called out his name. Each time she called, he answered. But she didn't hear; couldn't hear him. It was then he realised what was truly happening. He was no more...
To be continued...
Re: The Border Town by collinometricx: 10:35pm On Sep 20, 2016
The Border Town
Chapter Two
Ese couldn't believe her eyes. She had to be dreaming. Her husband's flesh felt cold. Shivers ran down her spine. She shook him again. It was their fifth wedding anniversary today. Was he trying to pull a prank on her? Today wasn't the day for such expensive jokes. She called his name for the umpteenth time. He wasn't answering.
"Baby... Please wake up. I beg you, please... Don't leave me alone. Please. Oh God... Oh God... Why aren't you answering?" Ese wailed.
She picked up the phone and called their family doctor.
There was a cackle at the other end, then a voice said "Hello..."
"Hello Doc," Ese began. "He's not talking to me... He's so cold... He's not moving Doc. Please help me. Help me ooo, help me Doc..."
"Calm down ma'am. Who are you talking about?" The voice asked calmly.
"My husband ooo. Please help me. Help me ooo. I'm finished. Heeeeey. My enemies have won. They have won ooo. Doctor ooo. See me. See me ooo..."
"I'll be right there ma'am. Please give me a few minutes." Then the line went dead.
Ebosele stood beside the woman he loved. He tried to comfort her. Her eyes were red and swollen. She still wore her nightie. He watched as the medical team carried him on a stretcher toward the ambulance parked on his driveway. His wife ran after them.
"Baby go back inside and wear something more decent. Haba! How can you come out of the house in your nightie?"
But Ese just kept running and wailing. There was not the slightest indication she had heard him.
"Baby?" Ebosele tried again. "Can you hear me?" He was getting tired of being ignored. "Maybe not then." He shook his head in frustration.
He had overheard the doctor telling his colleagues that he was dead. How can he be dead? He was still here for God's sake! Why won't anyone notice him? Even his wife couldn't see him? This was painful and disappointing. He got inside the ambulance along with his wife and the medical team. He felt so light; so free. This was all new to him. Their team of house maids had stared at his body as they wheeled it into the ambulance. They were all crying. Was he dead? Was he truly dead? Is this how it felt to die? His house, his wife, his name... Was it all over? No! He couldn't believe it. He would just hope this whole mix up sorts itself out. With a more determined look, he floated in and out of the van... Wait a minute! He wasn't walking. For the first time he realised he wasn't actually stepping on the ground. He was floating. Was he now a spirit or a ghost? He couldn't tell.
Dr Dave Sullivan was convinced Mr Ebosele was dead. But how? The man had regular medical check ups. He had no history of heart or brain diseases, and he was barely 36. He was dumbfounded. Dave knew there were some unexplained deaths, but not in his wildest dreams had he ever imagined that a man so full of life could just die. He was bent on performing a post mortem. He needed a closure; something to help him move on. Ebosele was his responsibility.So he somehow felt responsible for his death. Was there something he missed? Something he could have done?
Ese watched as the doctors gathered round his husband's body. They wouldn't let her into the room. What were they doing to him? Was he alive? Was this all a dream?
Ebosele floated about the room. He knew from the sombre faces of the doctors that there was nothing else they could do. But he was still here. He needed to find someone who could see him. He needed to somehow communicate with his wife. This was all strange. He didn't believe in ghosts. How had he suddenly become one?
To be continued 2moro 3pm

(1) (Reply)

Wordpress / The Documents- short fiction story / Toke Makinwa Dazzles As Coverstar Of Vanguard Allure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.