Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,952 members, 7,952,831 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:51 AM

DREADLOCKS MAINTAINANCE: Butters Isn't Good For Your Locks!!! - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / DREADLOCKS MAINTAINANCE: Butters Isn't Good For Your Locks!!! (2266 Views)

Bald Head Man Rocking Dreadlocks Shows Off Swag (photos) / Natural Hair Butters And Creams,selling On 100% Www. Afrihap.com / counter thread: Wearing Fake Butt And Boobs Pad Isn't Bad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

DREADLOCKS MAINTAINANCE: Butters Isn't Good For Your Locks!!! by K9blunt(f): 3:02am On Sep 22, 2016
I won't debunk the benefits of Sheabutters, beeswax and others.

While they are good for starting dreads, they are not OK for long time maintenance of locks. Reasons are....

1: the locks are not designed like natural free hair, while the locks are matted they retain butters,therefore creating buildups.
Thats the reason most professional lockticians advise against using conditioners for washing locks.

2: these butters can loosen your locks...yes they are actuallly used at first for creating locks but not really...you can lock your hair without them.
Butters only help the locks look clean and well kept while its short, what makes your hair really lock up is by not combing your hair (also called free forming) so do not just take any tom dick and harry's advice that if you dont put butters or waxes, would make your hair not to lock up. They just want to sell.. Most jamaicans dont use butters.

3: RESIDUE YUCK!
Ive always battled residues because of my continuous use of shea butter, whenever i shampooed i always felt i didnt properly wash my hair then i never got comfortable around people (cause of smell)
Residue isnt good for hair most especially dreadlocks, as locks are designed to retain unlike unlocked hair.

The solutions to maintenance of dreadlocks are quite simple and very inexpensive...i will post it as a new thread soon.

So fellow lockers ,please do away with butters and waxs for your own good.

Ps: all these points are based on my personal observatuons and personal experience, you can refute them constructively if you feel otherwise about them.

Ciao!

1 Like

Re: DREADLOCKS MAINTAINANCE: Butters Isn't Good For Your Locks!!! by dadoctore(m): 7:27am On Sep 22, 2016
Love the way dem locks fit you, nice figure too wink

1 Like

Re: DREADLOCKS MAINTAINANCE: Butters Isn't Good For Your Locks!!! by K9blunt(f): 9:25am On Sep 22, 2016
dadoctore:
Love the way dem locks fit you, nice figure too wink

Thanks dear, you're a gem!
Re: DREADLOCKS MAINTAINANCE: Butters Isn't Good For Your Locks!!! by dadoctore(m): 11:13am On Sep 22, 2016
smiley
K9blunt:

Thanks dear, you're a gem!
Re: DREADLOCKS MAINTAINANCE: Butters Isn't Good For Your Locks!!! by Nobody: 2:59pm On Oct 15, 2016
@K9blunt

Is there any harm in using leave in treatments?
Re: DREADLOCKS MAINTAINANCE: Butters Isn't Good For Your Locks!!! by K9blunt(f): 3:05pm On Oct 15, 2016
Muafrika2:
@K9blunt

Is there any harm in using leave in treatments?

Nope as long as you wash it off completely... Then you're good.

1 Like

Re: DREADLOCKS MAINTAINANCE: Butters Isn't Good For Your Locks!!! by Nobody: 3:28am On Nov 29, 2016
K9blunt

How do I get the natural aloe Vera gel is it sold? Or is it the actual gel from a harvested aloe plant ?
Re: DREADLOCKS MAINTAINANCE: Butters Isn't Good For Your Locks!!! by K9blunt(f): 10:06am On Nov 29, 2016
Muafrika2:
K9blunt

How do I get the natural aloe Vera gel is it sold? Or is it the actual gel from a harvested aloe plant ?

It's the actual gel from a harvested plant.
Re: DREADLOCKS MAINTAINANCE: Butters Isn't Good For Your Locks!!! by Nobody: 11:01am On Nov 29, 2016
K9blunt:

It's the actual gel from a harvested plant.
Oh.
smiley
I think I can find that somewhere.

1 Like

Re: DREADLOCKS MAINTAINANCE: Butters Isn't Good For Your Locks!!! by K9blunt(f): 1:21pm On Nov 29, 2016
Muafrika2:

Oh.
smiley
I think I can find that somewhere.

Definitely, it's common almost everywhere.

Good luck dear

1 Like

Re: DREADLOCKS MAINTAINANCE: Butters Isn't Good For Your Locks!!! by Nobody: 1:27pm On Nov 29, 2016
K9blunt:

Definitely, it's common almost everywhere.

Good luck dear
wink

1 Like

Re: DREADLOCKS MAINTAINANCE: Butters Isn't Good For Your Locks!!! by Geoforever(f): 11:03pm On Nov 29, 2016
Too much of shea butter isn't too good for both natural hair and relaxed hair can s of d ability to attract dust and thereby causing itching(dandruff).It can be used to straighten relaxed hair as well as mix a small quantity for conditioning of d hair.Wax has no negative effect on locks but too much of it isn't good,der are lots of hair wax in d market and its ll be nice to go for the best especially d ones with tea tree oils.Good leave in conditioner can be applied on dreadlocks,The only difference between dreadlocks and every other hair is just d maintenance and d use of good products not just d available ones.For more info about natural dreadlocks maintenance call me on 08035151554 or what's app me on 08087306328

Re: DREADLOCKS MAINTAINANCE: Butters Isn't Good For Your Locks!!! by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jan 10, 2017
K9blunt:
I won't debunk the benefits of Sheabutters, beeswax and others.

While they are good for starting dreads, they are not OK for long time maintenance of locks. Reasons are....

1: the locks are not designed like natural free hair, while the locks are matted they retain butters,therefore creating buildups.
Thats the reason most professional lockticians advise against using conditioners for washing locks.

2: these butters can loosen your locks...yes they are actuallly used at first for creating locks but not really...you can lock your hair without them.
Butters only help the locks look clean and well kept while its short, what makes your hair really lock up is by not combing your hair (also called free forming) so do not just take any tom dick and harry's advice that if you dont put butters or waxes, would make your hair not to lock up. They just want to sell.. Most jamaicans dont use butters.

3: RESIDUE YUCK!
Ive always battled residues because of my continuous use of shea butter, whenever i shampooed i always felt i didnt properly wash my hair then i never got comfortable around people (cause of smell)
Residue isnt good for hair most especially dreadlocks, as locks are designed to retain unlike unlocked hair.

The solutions to maintenance of dreadlocks are quite simple and very inexpensive...i will post it as a new thread soon.

So fellow lockers ,please do away with butters and waxs for your own good.

Ps: all these points are based on my personal observatuons and personal experience, you can refute them constructively if you feel otherwise about them.

Ciao!

why dread? Religious or fashion?
Re: DREADLOCKS MAINTAINANCE: Butters Isn't Good For Your Locks!!! by K9blunt(f): 5:51pm On Jan 10, 2017
fabiano09:

why dread? Religious or fashion?

It has nothing to do with religion or fashion, I just realized it's better taking care and pride in what I grow out naturally. A lifetime change more like.
Re: DREADLOCKS MAINTAINANCE: Butters Isn't Good For Your Locks!!! by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jan 10, 2017
K9blunt:

It has nothing to do with religion or fashion, I just realized it's better taking care and pride in what I grow out naturally. A lifetime change more like.
what made you realise ?
Re: DREADLOCKS MAINTAINANCE: Butters Isn't Good For Your Locks!!! by K9blunt(f): 8:00pm On Jan 10, 2017
fabiano09:

what made you realise ?

When I got compliment on my weave 5years ago
Re: DREADLOCKS MAINTAINANCE: Butters Isn't Good For Your Locks!!! by dearpiriye: 12:44pm On Mar 21, 2018
Thank you K9 blunt. I nearly threw away my beeswax cos of some of the comments I saw online. I will continue till my locks form.
Can you please share your care routine when you were just starting out? I'm two weeks in already though but I want to know if there is anything I'm missing that can be corrected.
Also is hair mousse good for locks?
Re: DREADLOCKS MAINTAINANCE: Butters Isn't Good For Your Locks!!! by dearpiriye: 11:05am On Jan 28, 2019
dearpiriye:
Thank you K9 blunt. I nearly threw away my beeswax cos of some of the comments I saw online. I will continue till my locks form.
Can you please share your care routine when you were just starting out? I'm two weeks in already though but I want to know if there is anything I'm missing that can be corrected.
Also is hair mousse good for locks?

I've now seen the light. Please don't use even for starting your locs. You don't need butters to start. Build up and it's after effects are difficult to get out.

(1) (Reply)

The Swag On These Guys Will Make Any Lady Drool / . / Check Out My Colourful Grey And Pink Smokey Eye.....(before MEETS AFTER)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.