Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,433 members, 7,958,305 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 12:09 PM

Going For A Teaching Job Interview - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Going For A Teaching Job Interview (4037 Views)

Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba / See Nine (9) Dos And Donts While Going For A Teaching Job Interview In Nigeria / No TRCN Certificate, No Teaching Job – FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Going For A Teaching Job Interview by Nobody: 4:07pm On Sep 22, 2016
Please I need your advice. I was invited for a job interview on Saturday 24th September, 2016. Please what do I need to prepare for. What are the things I should be prepared for. It is an international school and I don't want to lose this opportunity.
Re: Going For A Teaching Job Interview by Dyt(f): 4:28pm On Sep 22, 2016
Zaynie

kiss

1 Like

Re: Going For A Teaching Job Interview by zaynie(f): 5:15pm On Sep 22, 2016
Dyt smiley

Hello Cheenway, I have been privileged to sit at the panel chair in many interviews. This is what we look at.

There are usually 2 or 3 stages of interview.
Stage 1: Paper interview where some questions are asked both in Maths and English and may be general knowledge or essay sha. What they check out is your intelligence, handwriting and writing skill. If you are for primary you might want to infuse humour in your writing and go easy on the big words. For secondary a good use of your vocab is necessary.

Stage 2: Teaching Practice.
Be presentable: modest and neat clothes, tidy hair, don't put dramatic make up. Minimal jewelry.
Be confident : smile and speak clearly. A teacher's ultimate tool is her voice. Clear and confident.
Be a teacher: practice like 3 topics to perfection before hand. When asked to teach, request to teach a topic of your choice. Make good use of the board with illustrations.
Carry the kids along. Introduce yourself to them. Smile at them yet be firm so they don't take over the class from you. Ask them questions and encourage them to ask you questions too. Each time they ask or answer a question, they should tell their names and try not to forget. Your vocab will depend on the class.

Stage 3: Chatting with the Employer
To discuss work details and offer.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Going For A Teaching Job Interview by Nobody: 10:14pm On Sep 22, 2016
zaynie:
Dyt smiley

Hello Cheenway, I have been privileged to sit at the panel chair in many interviews. This is what we look at.

There are usually 2 or 3 stages of interview.
Stage 1: Paper interview where some questions are asked both in Maths and English and may be general knowledge or essay sha. What they check out is your intelligence, handwriting and writing skill. If you are for primary you might want to infuse humour in your writing and go easy on the big words. For secondary a good use of your vocab is necessary.

Stage 2: Teaching Practice.
Be presentable: modest and neat clothes, tidy hair, don't put dramatic make up. Minimal jewelry.
Be confident : smile and speak clearly. A teacher's ultimate tool is her voice. Clear and confident.
Be a teacher: practice like 3 topics to perfection before hand. When asked to teach, request to teach a topic of your choice. Make good use of the board with illustrations.
Carry the kids along. Introduce yourself to them. Smile at them yet be firm so they don't take over the class from you. Ask them questions and encourage them to ask you questions too. Each time they ask or answer a question, they should tell their names and try not to forget. Your vocab will depend on the class.

Stage 3: Chatting with the Employer
To discuss work details and offer.
Thanks Zaynie. I've done the written test weeks before. I'm wondering what other thing I am expected to do on the said date.
Also I am running my NCE presently in English/Social studies and in my 2nd year. How much should I expect them to pay? I am a teacher but haven't worked with a school of this standard. I can compare this school with Isolog and Peaklane Schools,located in Alagbole.
Re: Going For A Teaching Job Interview by zaynie(f): 9:15pm On Sep 23, 2016
cheenway:

Thanks Zaynie. I've done the written test weeks before. I'm wondering what other thing I am expected to do on the said date.
Also I am running my NCE presently in English/Social studies and in my 2nd year. How much should I expect them to pay? I am a teacher but haven't worked with a school of this standard. I can compare this school with Isolog and Peaklane Schools,located in Alagbole.

Honestly I don't know.
I don't even know where Alagbole is..... undecided
I do know that in my previous school, NCE holders are usually placed as TAs unless they have like 5 years experience.
They are usually paid between 25-40k depending on so many things but put in mind that some schools pay as low as 15k or even 8k for NCE holders.
Good luck.

3 Likes

Re: Going For A Teaching Job Interview by Nobody: 11:01pm On Sep 26, 2016
Finally got the job and resumed today. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement

2 Likes

Re: Going For A Teaching Job Interview by Kirinwa: 3:13am On Sep 27, 2016
cheenway:
Finally got the job and resumed today. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement

So how much are you being paid?

1 Like

Re: Going For A Teaching Job Interview by Nobody: 5:05pm On Sep 27, 2016
Kirinwa:

So how much are you being paid?

It is 25k for a start. I'm on 12 weeks probation. After then, everything will be regularised. I hope it is a good start, Zaynie

2 Likes

Re: Going For A Teaching Job Interview by zaynie(f): 9:23pm On Sep 29, 2016
cheenway:

It is 25k for a start. I'm on 12 weeks probation. After then, everything will be regularised. I hope it is a good start, Zaynie

It's a good start. Remember you can only get better.
Start getting experience. Whatever you are told to do, do it with zeal and don't discard before you give it a try.

Work there maximum 3 years and find somewhere better. Where a better experience and money awaits you.
Having 10 years experience in one place isn't equal to having 10 years experience in like 4 places. The latter is far superior than the former.

Good luck.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Lady Who Got Just 10k As UNN Best Graduating Student To Now Get N500,000 / Jambites See The 40 English Questions That Came Out For Today's UTME / Yabatech Change Of Course Form! For 2011/2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.