Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,770 members, 7,955,922 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:49 PM

University Of Ibadan Ranks 978 In Top World Universities Ranking By Times Higher - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / University Of Ibadan Ranks 978 In Top World Universities Ranking By Times Higher (67344 Views)

Covenant University Tops In Research Endeavors Among World Universities / 2017 Nigerian Universities Ranking / List Of Top 25 Universities In Africa In 2017 Ranked By Times Higher Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: University Of Ibadan Ranks 978 In Top World Universities Ranking By Times Higher by Just30: 9:06pm On Sep 23, 2016
University of Ghana is ranked 7th in Africa and fall in the 600th band worldwide
Re: University Of Ibadan Ranks 978 In Top World Universities Ranking By Times Higher by Just30: 9:09pm On Sep 23, 2016
3609ja:
The University of Ghana (UG), has once again been named among the world’s most reputable academic institutions.

The institution was ranked in the band of 601- 800 institutions worldwide, according to a 2016 release by the Times Higher Education (THE) World Rankings.

A statement signed by the Director of Public Affairs, Stella Amoah, said the “ranking places the University of Ghana ahead of its peers in the country, as it has become a force to be reckoned with on the continent and on the global front.”

The Times Higher Education World University Rankings are generated from five pillars, each of which represents a key area of higher education excellence – teaching (the learning environment), research (volume, income and reputation), citations (research influence), industry income (knowledge transfer), and international outlook (staff, students and research).

“For a University keen on enhancing internationalization, it is welcome news that the University of Ghana’s strongest pillar was International Outlook where its was ranked in the 5th decile,” she added.

University of Ghana was placed 10th on the African continent in June this year by the Thompson Reuters rankings.

“The continued upward mobility of the University of Ghana in world rankings is an attestation of the University’s quest to become a world-class research intensive university over the next decade,” she said.

‘Background’

The Times Higher Education World University Rankings is an annual global performance list that judge research-intensive universities across all their core missions: teaching, research, knowledge transfer and international outlook. The rankings use 13 key calibrated performance indicators to provide a comprehensive and balanced comparison of performance by the featured Universities.

Last year, the University of Ghana was named in the list as the leading West African academic institution and the only one from Ghana.
- See more at: http://citifmonline.com/2016/09/23/university-of-ghana-ranked-among-worlds-top-universities-2/#sthash.OvR87e6U.4a390phy.dpuf
UG is currently ranked 7th in Africa
Re: University Of Ibadan Ranks 978 In Top World Universities Ranking By Times Higher by IbBarham(m): 9:28pm On Sep 23, 2016
The first and Best.... #IrepUI...
Re: University Of Ibadan Ranks 978 In Top World Universities Ranking By Times Higher by mickool(m): 10:22pm On Sep 23, 2016
Where is ASUU oooo!!! Come and protest.All they know is money, money, money.Big shame to Nigeria education sector.
Re: University Of Ibadan Ranks 978 In Top World Universities Ranking By Times Higher by Rhoteabarca(m): 11:24pm On Sep 23, 2016
Wao! UI making Nigeria proud since 1948. Truly d First nd d Best. I rep d Premier Varsity........Greatest UITES!!!
Re: University Of Ibadan Ranks 978 In Top World Universities Ranking By Times Higher by mikooolud(m): 11:32pm On Sep 23, 2016
Brooklynsouth:
why can't this aafonjarism school make first fifty,useless school of un serious Retarded souls

It's lack of proper background and solid training, coupled with lack of parental care and guidance and dysfunctional brain and manner that an idiot of merlin Era will open her dirty and stinking mouth to insult products of the first and the best University in Nigeria as 'unserious and retarded soul'. We know u r sick, but we don't expect u to show it to the public. Tonto....check for the English meaning
Re: University Of Ibadan Ranks 978 In Top World Universities Ranking By Times Higher by pearlMomo87(f): 11:58pm On Sep 23, 2016
Dts my Alma Mata. greatest Unites!!! Great. recte sapere fon.
Re: University Of Ibadan Ranks 978 In Top World Universities Ranking By Times Higher by SHOCK7(m): 1:10am On Sep 24, 2016
Brooklynsouth:
why can't this aafonjarism school make first fifty,useless school of un serious Retarded souls
Seriously 're you well at all?
Re: University Of Ibadan Ranks 978 In Top World Universities Ranking By Times Higher by femmieday1(m): 8:13am On Sep 24, 2016
PLEASE I need contact of any student in University of Ife asap he/she must be a frequent user of the school library contact me laglaw01@gmail.com or 0701 732 8643
Re: University Of Ibadan Ranks 978 In Top World Universities Ranking By Times Higher by TheVictorious(m): 8:25am On Sep 24, 2016
ibadanfinest:
And someone will say they only recognize webometrics ranking. Some youth self, brain they don't have, how can u prefer a ranking that is based on your availability on the internet to that which is based on research, infrastructure, quality of lecture etc

Even that webometrics ranking, UI still come top among Nigerian Universities, but honestly its really nothing because I have ceased to compare UI with other Nigerian Universities, it ls Ojoro, its like comparing Barca with Nigerian premiere league team

Webometrics ranks on the same indices used by THE, just that it does not consider reputation as such.

You people should always do research into different rankings and their parameters before you post things on internet

That UI dropped in expectation in webometrics or 4icu doesn't make the rankings any less.

Even the topic of this thread is funny! UI was actually on Times higher education, but they dropped in the rankings. Last year for example, they were in the 600th band category, but now, 800 and something, I hope they dont drop out like UNN did.

Lately only two Nigerian institutions have been increasing in rankings: OAU and CovenantUniversity. University of Lagos is also doing fine.

If you must criticize this post, please do so by citing relevant points

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/university-ibadan?ranking-dataset=133819

UNN no longer in THE ranks: https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/university-nigeria-nsukka

Re: University Of Ibadan Ranks 978 In Top World Universities Ranking By Times Higher by ibadanfinest(m): 10:46am On Sep 24, 2016
TheVictorious:

Webometrics ranks on the same indices used by THE, just that it does not consider reputation as such.

You people should always do research into different rankings and their parameters before you post things on internet

That UI dropped in expectation in webometrics or 4icu doesn't make the rankings any less.

Even the topic of this thread is funny! UI was actually on Times higher education, but they dropped in the rankings. Last year for example, they were in the 600th band category, but now, 800 and something, I hope they dont drop out like UNN did.

Lately only two Nigerian institutions have been increasing in rankings: OAU and CovenantUniversity. University of Lagos is also doing fine.

If you must criticize this post, please do so by citing relevant points

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/university-ibadan?ranking-dataset=133819

UNN no longer in THE ranks: https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/university-nigeria-nsukka

I think you lack capacity to carry out research, if not you won't defend webometrics ranking. like I said, even in the latest webometrics ranking, UI still tops among Nigerian university though it is 19th in Africa and came 1sglt and 13th in Nigeria and Africa in 4icu ranking respectively.

The link you provided is a testimony of how poor your reearch ability is.

http://www.4icu.org/top-universities-africa/

http://www.webometrics.info/en/Ranking_africa

Below is d link of criteria for ranking

http://www.webometrics.info/en/Methodology
Re: University Of Ibadan Ranks 978 In Top World Universities Ranking By Times Higher by ibadanfinest(m): 10:56am On Sep 24, 2016
Just30:
University of Ghana is ranked 7th in Africa and fall in the 600th band worldwide

UI was within the same 600th band. our current position is 80 something, we were unlucky not to remain within the 600 band but am sure we can do better.
Re: University Of Ibadan Ranks 978 In Top World Universities Ranking By Times Higher by elvision1(m): 4:02pm On Sep 24, 2016
LastProphet:

learn before talking, webometrics only ranks a school's website not even the campus. if you have been to UI before you wont type this crap, some depts alone in UI have over 200 professors and you are hear talking thrash

so you are admitting that your U.I, the first university in Nigeria is technologically backward and has less web presence than a university in Kenya? Okay.
Re: University Of Ibadan Ranks 978 In Top World Universities Ranking By Times Higher by elvision1(m): 4:10pm On Sep 24, 2016
sucess001:

even in your Webometrics...UI comes first for Nigeria...
http://www.webometrics.info/en/Africa
we talking bout the world here.
Re: University Of Ibadan Ranks 978 In Top World Universities Ranking By Times Higher by ibadanfinest(m): 6:28pm On Sep 24, 2016
elvision1:

we talking bout the world here.

Now you are talking about the world. it seems you didn't properly digest my first post that you mentioned. If you did, you would have noticed my displeasure at the position UI is and my call to Uites not to celebrate because we are the first in Nigeria, cos our target at this level should go way beyond Nigeria.
Re: University Of Ibadan Ranks 978 In Top World Universities Ranking By Times Higher by TheVictorious(m): 8:48pm On Sep 24, 2016
ibadanfinest:

I think you lack capacity to carry out research, if not you won't defend webometrics ranking. like I said, even in the latest webometrics ranking, UI still tops among Nigerian university though it is 19th in Africa and came 1sglt and 13th in Nigeria and Africa in 4icu ranking respectively.

The link you provided is a testimony of how poor your reearch ability is.

http://www.4icu.org/top-universities-africa/

http://www.webometrics.info/en/Ranking_africa

Below is d link of criteria for ranking

http://www.webometrics.info/en/Methodology

Nobody is disputing the fact that UI topped in webometrics, every Tom Dick and Harry knows that. Shallow minded people weigh things at face value like you've just done now but since your post suggest that you research more than me (if at all), I don't think you're shallow-minded, and you therefore shouldn't act so.

Now to the point again, do you know that UI also dropped in Webometrics ranking (I posted that here when it was released and I explained the parameters elaborately: https://www.nairaland.com/3258037/final-webometrics-ranking-16-released). I do my research before I post things, so I wouldn't need your links (thank you!); I study methodologies of virtually all rankings you can think of every year and how they're improved upon (except NUC ranking sha - I don't think they have, loooollz! ).

Mind you, WEBOMETRICS (Ranking Brand Name) considers various criteria of which webometrics itself (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webometrics) is a chief criterion. It is also noteworthy that all other rankings you can think of (including THE that has undisputedly gone a step further) rely on webometrics in ranking universities. Check the highest ranked universities in THE, they must have maintained a consistent top spot on Webometrics for a period of time.

The biggest difference between THE and Webometrics is that it gives research impact and visibility much higher scores than webometrics; and also the reputation I mentioned earlier, which THE considers paramount (Your first post suggests you didn't know this) - Which is why they are the best. When it comes to Web Presence that you are critical of as a ranking criterion, funny enough; it counts most in 4ICU rankings than any other ranking, not even in Webometrics!; and this is not also out of place for a useful 21st century ranking parameter.
[When you judge a University by web presence, it represents how the University is able to publicize what it does in the school on the web so that other universities can take note. For example, when you access world class universities' website, you would notice that all the research papers, all the academic activities, seminars and conferences, all the infrastructure, a detailed curriculum vitae of all the staff, a detailed program course list for all the departments, all the inventions and innovations, all the pedagogical techniques, all the student accomplishments, all the university partnerships are publicized on the web. (Credit to Nobody for this fact)]. Every ranking (be it 4ICU, Webometrics or THE) has a purpose, just that it should be clearly stated and precisely explained by whoever is publishing rankings here or on any other site, newspaper, magazine, etc.

Now go back and peruse my first post critically, and you'll understand what I'm saying: I didn't and will never dispute the fact that UI is the highest ranking Nigerian university, what I'm simply doing is expressing concern and raising alarm that they're drastically dropping in the rankings, and the parameters are making it glaring, but the lame man can't see it, all he does is jubilate any time he sees the topic of the ranking; without even doing research on how it was arrived at.

And if you're part of those who criticize Webometrics that UI (which has once been ranked 10th in Africa, I can't recall the year) is not making top 1000, and accept THE because they did in the THE, dont come later and disregard THE also if Unilag, CovenantUni and OAU get ranked above them by TimesHigherEducation. Just Saying sha.

Kindly remain factual in your reply.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: University Of Ibadan Ranks 978 In Top World Universities Ranking By Times Higher by ibadanfinest(m): 10:44pm On Sep 24, 2016
[quote author=TheVictorious post=49644255]

My first post was to criticize UI position. I know we have dropped
My subsequent post is to criticize someone that said he only recognized webometrics ranking and also to discourage uite from celebrating because we are first in Nigeria.
Re: University Of Ibadan Ranks 978 In Top World Universities Ranking By Times Higher by TheVictorious(m): 2:32am On Sep 25, 2016
[quote author=ibadanfinest post=49646829][/quote]

Okay good unlike others you can acknowledge you have dropped.

We both know you're the best in Naija but do you know ain't the best performing institution in Nigeria right now?
Re: University Of Ibadan Ranks 978 In Top World Universities Ranking By Times Higher by ibadanfinest(m): 2:49pm On Sep 25, 2016
TheVictorious:

Okay good unlike others you can acknowledge you have dropped.

We both know you're the best in Naija but do you know ain't the best performing institution in Nigeria right now?

First that could be subjective, it also depends on the angle you are looking at it and I don't have the trend analysis data of other skul.

So I can't say. All I know is I always want my alma Mata to improve if possible geometrically in
1. LEARNING
2. RESEARCH
3. INFRASTRUCTURE
4 ETC
Re: University Of Ibadan Ranks 978 In Top World Universities Ranking By Times Higher by TheVictorious(m): 5:05pm On Sep 27, 2016
ibadanfinest:

First that could be subjective, it also depends on the angle you are looking at it and I don't have the trend analysis data of other skul.

So I can't say. All I know is I always want my alma Mata to improve if possible geometrically in
1. LEARNING
2. RESEARCH
3. INFRASTRUCTURE
4 ETC

Not been online for some time.

Now to the point:

The angle am looking at is research and web visibility in which the previously mentioned schools are beginning to UI them a run for their money.
Re: University Of Ibadan Ranks 978 In Top World Universities Ranking By Times Higher by Nobody: 8:45am On Jan 31, 2017
ibadanfinest:
And someone will say they only recognize webometrics ranking. Some youth self, brain they don't have, how can u prefer a ranking that is based on your availability on the internet to that which is based on research, infrastructure, quality of lecture etc

Even that webometrics ranking, UI still come top among Nigerian Universities, but honestly its really nothing because I have ceased to compare UI with other Nigerian Universities, it ls Ojoro, its like comparing Barca with Nigerian premiere league team
Webometric ranking is a purely academic ranking which is aimed at measuring the relevance and impact of Academic research journals published by researchers in a given
Higher institution of learning to researchers(lectures and student) world wide. Webometrics uses four web indicators to measure the value for the journals published by each Institution. It is important to note that webometrics does NOT measure the popularity of websites.

Times Higher Education
THE is a university ranking system which makes use of the following indicators: Research Journals, Alumni CEOs, No of Faculty with Nobel laureate, No of Alumni with Nobel laureate and International outlook. University of Ibadan is currently the best university in Nigeria for THE ranking

4icu: Measures the popularity of university websites

NUC rankings: The NUC denounced university rankings for 2015 and 2016 but would embark on ranking universities for 2017.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Federal Poly Nasarawa 2016/2017 screening for HND and ND. / Nekede Poly Furious With Lady Claiming She Graduated With God Help, Private Part / We Were Abandoned In Cyprus & Dropped Out Of School - Dancing Security Guards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.