Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,822 members, 7,817,399 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:32 AM

Christians And Alcohol - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christians And Alcohol (4499 Views)

Can Drinking Alcohol Stop A Genuine Born Again; From Making It To Heaven? / Christians And Politics / Christians And Moslems Can Be Friends! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Christians And Alcohol by English1(f): 2:03pm On Jan 04, 2007
I don't care if people drink alcohol or not but I HATE it when a Christian offers me a glass of wine and I end up with a mouthful of sickly grape juice instead. It's not wine so why call it wine? It;s like offering me whiskey and giving me a slice of bread because they are both made from grains!

If you are giving me fruit juice then offer me fruit juice. I like fruit juice. I don't like being lied to.
Re: Christians And Alcohol by goodguy(m): 6:04pm On Jan 04, 2007
mrmayor:

GOODGUY,

Read this in S-L-O-W   M-O-T-I-O-N.

Un-fermented grape juice is not Wine,Ribena is unfermented grape juice its not Wine,Root Beer or Ginger Beer is drank by children all over the world its still not beer but a brilliant marketing strategy.

For the sake of clarity, Ribena cannot be called wine, since it's generally believed that anything 'wine' must be alcoholic.  But in actual fact, it is still wine - a non-alcoholic one, with medicinal values.  Non-alcoholic wines are betteroff called Juices.

mrmayor:

In the below text the Methodist Church used unfermented Grape Juice for communion,again they called it wine another Marketing Ploy.

It's not a marketing ploy.  It is simple English.  I expected that the article I made reference to earlier should have cleared this whole issue.  The problem is that Wine has always been associated with alcohol, intoxication, etc.  Even in the dictionary, most definitions you will get will be something like "An alcoholic beverage. . ."  But even the same dictionary recognises the fact that wine is a generic word, and should not always be associated with alcohol, unless of course, you want me to believe that the dictionary is not reliable afterall.

Even from the etymology, you will see that it was borrowed from the Latin word, 'vinum' which means grape or vine.

Moreso, the dictionary makes us to realise that the common Hebrew word for wine is "_yayin_", from a root meaning "to boil up," "to be in a ferment."  Others derive it from a root meaning "to tread out," and hence the juice of the grape trodden out.   So as you can see, wine is a generic word.  It can either be fermented or unfermented.  It can either be alcoholic or non-alcoholic.  It can either be a soft drink or a "hard drink".

It's all about the grammar.

mrmayor:

Wine is made from one process only F-E-R-M-E-N-T-A-T-I-O-N

Alcoholic wine, Yes.
Re: Christians And Alcohol by agnesoseka: 11:47am On Mar 19, 2007
I drink occassionally and dont see anytin wrong with it,as long as i do it to moderation!!
Re: Christians And Alcohol by Backslider(m): 3:02pm On Mar 19, 2007
@ Agnes

Please Read your Bible

Proverbs 20:1
Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

if not sin is at your door and if you allow it you are going to be destroyed without remedy.
Re: Christians And Alcohol by donnie(m): 4:44pm On Mar 19, 2007
All things are lawful but not all things are expedient(helpful).

The Apostle Paul in the above quote brings us understanding concerning the liberty we have in Christ. According to him, you might not be condemned by any law for doing a thing but such a thng might not help you in your christian walk.

The bible does not expressly condemn drinking or smoking in the scripures, but in my opinion, they are like hindrances or weights in our christain walk. For instance, there is no law that says, thou shalt take a bath daily; but you know that failure to take a bath will hinder your work as a christian worker who is meant to be reaching out to others.

I am not in the same school as those who try to defend the Lord by saying that the wine He changed water into was actually fruit juice or that when he was found eating and drinking with sinners He was actually drinking coke or seven up. I let the Word speak for itslf.

However i will like to say that in our society of today, i do not subscribe to a life of boozing as a christain. I used to be a heavy drinker as a non- christain but after i got saved, i still had the temptaion to drink when some of my worldly friends came around. Nevertheless, i did not back out from following the Lord; i kept pressing on as i tried to love Him more.

Thank God for the church i found myself in. They did not give up on me or drive me away. I will worship God in the beauty of holliness with tears running down my eyes as i felt the presence of the Holy Spirit move all over me. I will listen to God's Word and each time i did, i felt deep hunger for God stirred up within me because i knew i wanted more of Him.

It came to a time when i knew i had to make a decision. I did not want the devil accusing me anymore, telling me that the love and joy i feel inside is as a  result of a bottle of beer i took some minutes ago and not the Holy Ghost. I don't want him telling me that i was bound to any habbit. I wanted to know that it was actualy the boldness of the Spirit i had within me and not dutch courage.

One night, while sitting with my friend, i made the decision in my heart: no more star, no more stout, no more palm wine.  I shall be full of only the Holy Ghost; nothing else. So that when i recieve a vision or prophecy, i will be sure it is the Holy Ghost giving it and not Star or 'small stout' working on my mind.

It is important where you find yourself at any point in time as a christian because you are meant to be a light unto the world. In my church, i was taught through the Holy Ghost how not to crave for the things which the world lust after nor the so- called pleasures they go after but for more of God's Word. I saw no need for such hanging-out, night parties and so on and we are adviced against such gatherings. If ever i found myself in such a place, it had to be for a reason and as such, i maintain a godly disposition. I distinguish myself With christian piety.

There has to be a difference between those who are serving the Lord and those who serve themselves.  

Not only was i free from condemnation within me, my testimony among those who are outside became worthy of praise. My light shone ever more brightly as it became easier for me to testify of my new life without having to argue my way out of the condemnation of people who do not understand why a christian should drink because as far as they are concerned, you cannot sit there drinking with them, talking about rubbish and then a moment later, try to give them God's Word.

Those who are addicted to drinking started with just a sip. I advice those who will like to live and minister effectively as christians to avoid strong drink! God bless you.
Re: Christians And Alcohol by Backslider(m): 5:42pm On Mar 19, 2007
@donnie

The Apostle Paul in the above quote brings us understanding concerning the liberty we have in Christ. According to him, you might not be condemned by any law for doing a thing but such a thng might not help you in your christian walk.

donnie:

Where did he bring the understanding of THE LIBERTY TO DRINK BEER ! This is outrageous. You must read scripture and know what is expedient(in the context that it was used here) as a Christian and what is not Expedient.

You can not just Lift a statement and make a doctrine out of it.

WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE A HOLY ROYAL PRIESTHOOD
Leviticus 10:9
Do not drink wine nor strong drink, thou, nor thy sons with thee, when ye go into the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations:

donnie:

The bible does not expressly condemn drinking or smoking in the scripures, but in my opinion, they are like hindrances or weights in our christain walk. For instance, there is no law that says, thou shalt take a bath daily; but you know that failure to take a bath will hinder your work as a christian worker who is meant to be reaching out to others.

Another one again.The bible does condemn Strong wine (Alcoholic beverages) When you drink one bottle of coke and one bottle of beer of the same quantity my brother you will be intoxicated the taste is very different as the north is to the south so is STRONG DRINK (WINE) IS TO FRESH WINE SOFT DRINK.

Numbers 6:3
He shall separate himself from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried.

Judges 13:4
Now therefore beware, I pray thee, and drink not wine nor strong drink, and eat not any unclean thing

donnie:

I am not in the same school as those who try to defend the Lord by saying that the wine He changed water into was actually fruit juice or that when he was found eating and drinking with sinners He was actually drinking coke or seven up. I let the Word speak for itslf.

This is just another Outrageous UNRIGHTEOUS STATEMENT Jesus would NEVER have drank STRONG wine JESUS WAS A NAZERENE READ BELOW WHAT THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO DO.

Judges 13:7
But he said unto me, Behold, thou shalt conceive, and bear a son; and now drink no wine nor strong drink, neither eat any unclean thing: for the child shall be a Nazarite to God from the womb to the day of his death.

donnie:

However i will like to say that in our society of today, i do not subscribe to a life of boozing as a christain. I used to be a heavy drinker as a non- christain but after i got saved, i still had the temptaion to drink when some of my worldly friends came around. Nevertheless, i did not back out from following the Lord; i kept pressing on as i tried to love Him more.
Thank God for the church i found myself in. They did not give up on me or drive me away. I will worship God in the beauty of holliness with tears running down my eyes as i felt the presence of the Holy Spirit move all over me. I will listen to God's Word and each time i did, i felt deep hunger for God stirred up within me because i knew i wanted more of Him.

It came to a time when i knew i had to make a decision. I did not want the devil accusing me anymore, telling me that the love and joy i feel inside is as a result of a bottle of beer i took some minutes ago and not the Holy Ghost. I don't want him telling me that i was bound to any habbit. I wanted to know that it was actualy the boldness of the Spirit i had within me and not dutch courage.

One night, while sitting with my friend, i made the decision in my heart: no more star, no more stout, no more palm wine. I shall be full of only the Holy Ghost; nothing else. So that when i recieve a vision or prophecy, i will be sure it is the Holy Ghost giving it and not Star or 'small stout' working on my mind.

ACCORDING TO THE BIBLE YOU WERE NOT A CHRISTIAN WHEN YOU DRANK EVEN IF YOU CAME TO THE SAVING KNOWLEDGE OF CHRIST.

YOU CALL YOUR FRIENDS WORLDLY? WHAT DIFFERENTIATED FROM THEM SIMPLE KNOWLEDGE OF WHAT IS WRONG AND RIGHT?
SO YOU KNEW IT COULD COMPETE WITH GOD ISN'T IT?

WELL I AM HAPPY THAT YOU NOW KNOW THAT WITHOUT SCRIPTURE THAT IT WAS WRONG AND REMAINS WRONG FOR EVER.

donnie:

There has to be a difference between those who are serving the Lord and those who serve themselves.

EXACTLY I AGREE WITH YOU 100% WE MUST BE DIFFERENT OUTWARDLY AND INWARDLY.

donnie:

Those who are addicted to drinking started with just a sip. I advice those who will like to live and minister effectively as christians to avoid strong drink! God bless you.

EXACTLY I AGREE WITH YOU ON THAT ONE ALSO.
THE BIBLE SAYS FLEE ALL APPEARANCE OF EVIL DONT TOUCH ANY UNCLEAN THING DONT EVEN TRY TO SAY YOU WANT TO SEE OR EXAMINE IT.
Re: Christians And Alcohol by TV01(m): 6:18pm On Mar 19, 2007
Ah, Donnie the Scribe, meet Backslider the Pharisee  grin.

One doesn't drink 'because he's holier than thou, the other because it's perdition in a bottle  angry.

Donnie in his wisdom came up with this

The bible does not expressly condemn drinking or smoking in the scripures

The Bible does not condemn drinking, but it warns strongly against drinking to excess (a distinction that our resident zealots do not seem t be able to make shocked). The Bible does not mention smoking at all. And smoking and drinking are not in any way the same.

Not to be outdone, Bro' Backslider came up with this;

Where did he bring the understanding of THE LIBERTY TO DRINK BEER ! This is outrageous. You must read scripture and know what is expedient(in the context that it was used here) as a Christian and what is not Expedient.

Christian have liberty in Christ. If you can't deal with it, leave it. Don't try and legislate for everyone else or condenm those who believe differently.

Romans 14:3 - Let not him who eats despise him who does not eat, and let not him who does not eat judge him who eats; for God has received him.

Sis' Agnesoseka summed it up quite succinctly.

agnesoseka:

I drink occassionally and don't see anytin wrong with it,as long as i do it to moderation!!

But the wearers of broad phylacteries and the makers of long repetitive prayers (who suppose themselves to be spiritual titans, but are just religious pygmies) have to have the final [s]overblown essay ful of great swelling words[/s] say!

My advice is as follows;

1 Corinthians 7:23 - You were bought at a price; do not become slaves of men.

Sorry, that wasn't my advice that was 1 Corinthians 7:23. My advice is shove off you two  cool!
Re: Christians And Alcohol by Backslider(m): 6:47pm On Mar 19, 2007
@ TV01

I SPEAK TO THE MATTER AND I THANK GOD I WILL NOT CALL NO ONE NAMES. I WILL SPEAK THE MIND OF GOD YOU QUOTED SCRIPTURE AND YOU DO SO WITH NO BACKGROUND IN SCRIPTURE.

WELL I WILL GO MORE AND SHOW YOU.

By medical definition[b], alcohol is a drug.[/b] The moderate drinker is naive if he does not recognize the peril of eventually becoming addicted himself.

PROVERBS 23
29Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes?

30They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine.

31Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright.

32At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.

33Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things.

34Yea, thou shalt be as he that lieth down in the midst of the sea, or as he that lieth upon the top of a mast.

35They have stricken me, shalt thou say, and I was not sick; they have beaten me, and I felt it not: when shall I awake? I will seek it yet again.

I SUPPOSE YOU WILL SAY COCAINE AND MARIJUANA IS OK RIGHT ?

ALCOHOL IS A DRUG COCAINE IS A DRUG WEE IS A DRUG THEY HAVE BOTH EFFECTS SOME HIGHER THAN THE OTHER

LETS US USE THE SPIRIT PLUS OUR HEADS TO KNOW WHAT IS EVIL AND FLEE FROM IT.

I AM DAMNED IF I DO NOT WHAT I PREACH JUST AS PAUL SAYS IT IF I PREACH AND NOT PRACTICE THE SAME I PREACH I AM A REPROBATE AND A CASTAWAY.

LOOK I DON'T NEED THIS SITE TO BE WHO I AM I HAVE MY BIBLE AND I KNOW WHOM I HAVE BELIEVED DRINK IS EVIL PERIOD

BLESSINGS IN THE NAME OF JESUS
Re: Christians And Alcohol by Backslider(m): 6:59pm On Mar 19, 2007
@all

A man can abstain from all evil things and still go to hell. However you can live a holy life in Christ inwardly and outwardly but you must come to him in a broken form( as a child goes to his father).

* Alcoholism makes men fail; legalism helps them succeed in the world.
* Alcoholism makes men depend on the bottle; legalism makes them self-sufficient, depending on no one.
* Alcoholism destroys moral resolve; legalism gives it strength.
* Alcoholics don't feel welcome in church; legalists love to hear their morality extolled in church.

I say this to be balanced in Christ so we don't say our righteousness is our own.
Re: Christians And Alcohol by donnie(m): 8:47pm On Mar 19, 2007
@ backslider. Have you seen this scripture before? Colossians 2:16 -Let no man therefore judge you in meat or in drink,
Re: Christians And Alcohol by donnie(m): 9:03pm On Mar 19, 2007
And did you say i was not a christian because i drank? Now isn't that outrageous? Well before i ask you to prove what you just said, i will ask you this question which you must answer correctly if truely you understand this message of salvation: When did the disciples(apostles) of Jesus get born-again? Was it while Jesus was with them? Or at his death? His resurrection? when? Please answer this question.
Re: Christians And Alcohol by Backslider(m): 6:42am On Mar 20, 2007
@donnie
You said
donnie:

@ backslider. Have you seen this scripture before? Colossians 2:16 -Let no man therefore judge you in meat or in drink,

Does that mean you can drink Gamaline 20 or kerosine  After all he said you shall take up scorpions and drink poison ? STRONG DRINK IS EVIL even a sinner knows this.

donnie:

And did you say i was not a christian because i drank? Now isn't that outrageous? Well before i ask you to prove what you just said, i will ask you this question which you must answer correctly if truely you understand this message of salvation: When did the disciples(apostles) of Jesus get born-again? Was it while Jesus was with them? Or at his death? His resurrection? when? Please answer this question.

What spirit does a man that says he has christ in him sits with unsaved souls drinks alchohol in your own words.
Where people Smoke cocaine and wee can you visit there and take cocaine with them what spirit is that.

My mother sold drinks for 2 decades and I know what drinks is ( maybe I am not fair to your knowledge of sin but please forgive me I can say on all authority beer wine hard spirits is SINFUL)

Anyway THERE IS THE DECEPTIVENESS OF SIN. If my words causes you anger please pardon me, but don't be deceived by the deceptive nature of sin.

Hebrews9
22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.   

Ye are my disciple if ye do my will
Bible says without the sheding of blood there is no remission of sin.
Re: Christians And Alcohol by sage(m): 8:51am On Mar 20, 2007
TV01:

Ah, Donnie the Scribe, meet Backslider the Pharisee grin.

One doesn't drink 'because he's holier than thou, the other because it's perdition in a bottle angry.

Donnie in his wisdom came up with this

The Bible does not condemn drinking, but it warns strongly against drinking to excess (a distinction that our resident zealots do not seem t be able to make shocked). The Bible does not mention smoking at all. And smoking and drinking are not in any way the same.

Not to be outdone, Bro' Backslider came up with this;

Christian have liberty in Christ. If you can't deal with it, leave it. Don't try and legislate for everyone else or condenm those who believe differently.

Romans 14:3 - Let not him who eats despise him who does not eat, and let not him who does not eat judge him who eats; for God has received him.

Sis' Agnesoseka summed it up quite succinctly.

But the wearers of broad phylacteries and the makers of long repetitive prayers (who suppose themselves to be spiritual titans, but are just religious pygmies) have to have the final [s]overblown essay ful of great swelling words[/s] say!

My advice is as follows;

1 Corinthians 7:23 - You were bought at a price; do not become slaves of men.

Sorry, that wasn't my advice that was 1 Corinthians 7:23. My advice is shove off you two cool!

grin grin grin cheesy cheesy

I completely agree with you.

@TV01 my brother, is it not a shame what so called christianity has resulted into? Rather than warning people about God's plan for the destruction of human rulership, the main theme of the bible, the harlot closes its eye to the main message of the bible and spend all there time confusing their members with self righteous and baseless inclinations grin aka ribena=wine cheesy.

I guess when you ignore what you should be doing you end up in frivolities like arguing that wine is now Ribena. Thats hilarious.

This self righteous attitude was the same reason why Jesus rejected the scribes and the Pharisees.

Why, they even accused Jesus of beign a sinner who was taking wine in excess cheesy.
Jesus kicked their asses out.

People should realise that no amount of self rigteousness is going to take them anywhere.

N?B Jesus drank alcoholic wine, all his apostles did the same. The bible has nothing against alcohol in moderation.

Alcohol, like food should be in moderation.

But if you are a slave of man, u can keep on with traditions of men as doctrine. cool. Seems like enslavement to selfrighteous doctrines that has no biblical bases suits many people. Make una carry go grin cheesy
Re: Christians And Alcohol by Backslider(m): 10:13am On Mar 20, 2007
@Sage

If Alcohol is not a drug tell me.

Wise man please tell me Cocaine is not a Drug
Tell me we is not a Drug

I have used and sold some of those things before I know very WELL THAT THE DESTROY A MAN.

YOU COME AND PREACH DRINK ANYTHING WHY DONT YOU EAT AND DRINK ANYTHING?

YOUR HEART KNOWS WHAT IS EVIL AND YOU KNOW THAT YOU CAN NOT DRINK ALL THINGS

I AM NOT IN NIGERIA AND I KNOW THAT SOME PEOPLE GET HIGH FROM GLUE

SOME EVIL GET HIGH FROM PETROL CHEMICALS

SO DON'T TELL ME WHAT I KNOW

I KNOW SIN WELL WELL AND I AM NOT DECEIVED AND FOOLED BY IT DECEPTIVENESS

I WILL RATHER BE A SLAVE TO THE BIBLE THAN A SLAVE OF STRONG LIQUOR. WHATSOEVER YOU TAKE IN THAT MAKES YOU INTOXICATED IS EVIL

I SAY THIS IS THE MILK THAT COMES OUT OF THE BREAST OF LEVIATHAN THE DRAGON.

GO ON DRINK TO THE DAMNATION OF YOUR SOUL I HAVE MADE MY CASE GOOD DAY
Re: Christians And Alcohol by EmoreO(m): 10:39am On Mar 20, 2007
the reason 4 not drinking is quite simple.alcohol can control you there by making u do things u wouldn't have done.and also taking excess will make u a nuissance to yourself and others
Re: Christians And Alcohol by TV01(m): 4:06pm On Mar 20, 2007
Backslider:

I SPEAK TO THE MATTER AND I THANK GOD I WILL NOT CALL NO ONE NAMES.

Yes now! Being fully aware of Donnies hyper religious superiority and your own overblown sense of piety, I figured you would refuse to answer back (and actually think you are accruing religious brownie points)   grin !

Donnie appears to have changed tack for some reason  No probs BS, more opprobium for you  grin.

sage:

Alcohol, like food should be in moderation.

Leave them 0!

That is the starting point.

Anyone who eats more than is necessary, has more clothes than they need, live in a house that is larger than they require, drive an uneccesarily large or expensive car are all under the same condemnation by Bro' Backsliders anal religious logic. I still love him sha  cheesy!

You also fail to distinguish between moderate or very occasional use and all out alcoholism. Not to mention your erroneously bracketing smoking/drug use with acceptable levels of wine consumption.

Please advise, if the Lord turned water into wine and wine drinking = drug abuse, where does your bombast leave you?

Anyway, if my occasional glass of wine causes my brother to stumble, I will no longer drink at all, lest I cause the one for whom The Lord died to stumble. At that point, love trumps knowledge.

Needless to say most of your MOG's (across denomination here) all look suspiciously well-fed and appear to lack no good thing. Tell me Bro' BS, what is their fate?

Love ya!

God bless
Re: Christians And Alcohol by batu: 4:56pm On Mar 20, 2007
TV01:

Anyway, if my occasional glass of wine causes my brother to stumble, I will no longer drink at all, lest I cause the one for whom The Lord died to stumble. At that point, love trumps knowledge.

Words of wisdom and words on marble; thanks TV01!

@backslider,
I hope you will be able to see the scripture-backed doctrinal truth and divine wisdom in this small passage by TV01 I quoted above. Just as I told you yesterday, Christ is for Grace, Love and Peace rather than your over-pious doctrine of fire and brimstone your posts almost always exudes.
Re: Christians And Alcohol by Backslider(m): 7:31am On Mar 21, 2007
@TV01

MY stand on using abusive word is from scripture. i don't and will never attack no one here my only enemy is satan. I don't need to show you piousness, I am pure through his blood not of works so that any man should boast.

should i now live in sin so that grace may abound? Nay

Call me any name you like Label me whatever the truth stands sure, those that follow the bottle have felt the power and the deceitfulness of sin.

I know what God saves from and Alchohol WHICH I HAVE DRANK WEE WHICH I HAVE SMOKED IS PART OF THEM .

You can qoute any scripture you like as the Lord liveth and as i know alchohol is evil and destroys slowly. I DONT NEED A ROCKET SCIENTIST TO TELL ME WHAT I HAVE EXPERIANCED ABOUT ALCHOHOL.

I HAVE HAD THE SAME ARGUMENT WITH SOME PEOPLE ABOUT COCAINE HERE IN GHANA AND THEY SAY IF YOU TAKE PURE COCAINE YOU WILL NOT GET MAD.

I HAVE GONE TO DEPTHS OF SIN AND SINFULNESS OF MAN AND I HAVE SEEN THE DECEPTIVENESS OF SIN.
SO PLEASE DONT JUST GO THERE.

JESUS MAKING ALCHOHOL? YOU WILL SOON SAY HE MADE WEE ALSO SO WE CAN SMOKE IT OR EAT CANNABIS SOUP.

WHAT!!!!! DONT YOU KNOW THAT PEOPLE USE COCAINE TO COOK FOOD AND THAT IS HOW THEY RECRUIT SOME DRUG ADDICTS?

I WILL SHOW NOW THE POWER OF ALCHOHOL.

GIVE A MAN ONE BEER EVERY FRIDAY FOR A YEAR. THE NEXT YEAR DONT GIVE HIM HE WILL RUN BACK TO BUY WITH HIS OWN MONEY THE DECEPTIVENESS OF SIN.

NO ALCHOHOLIC STARTED WITH 5 BOTTLES BUT THEY STARTED JUST WITH ONE.

I CAN BE SO CALLED PIOUS AND STILL GO TO HELL ( BECAUSE A MAN CAN BE PROUD OF HIMSELF SATAN WORSHIPED GOD FROM ETERNITY TO ETERNITY AND WAS PROUD). I am not above God and what I say here. If i said this in love or hatred God will Judge MY INTENT.
Re: Christians And Alcohol by Backslider(m): 9:48am On Mar 21, 2007
FREDERICKSBURG, Va. - An anti-smoking group called on the U.S. National Slavery Museum to return a donation from tobacco giant Philip Morris USA, saying the company targets children "for another form of slavery."
ADVERTISEMENT

Matthew L. Myers, president of the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, sent a letter to the museum's executive director, Vonita Foster, last week. Myers said the association with the nation's largest cigarette manufacturer would counter the museum's goal of educating children.

"This is indeed a laudable goal, but by taking receipt of this donation, the museum is joining forces with a company that continues to target children for another form of slavery," Myers wrote

IF WE SAY WE ARE CHRISTIANS ARE WE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THE MORAL LIGHT OF THE WORLD?

HOW IS THAT PEOPLE IN A NON CHRISTIAN OUTFIT EVEN REFUSED ANYTHING THAT HAS TO DO WITH TOBACCO COMPANY!

THERE IS EXPEDIENCY AND THERE IS NEEDFULNESS HOW YOU CANNOT TAKE ONE AND LEAVE THE OTHER.

IT NEEDFUL THAT I HELP MY BROTHER SO THAT HE DOES NOT GET DESTROYED OR KILLED BY AN ADDICTION TO CHEMICALS i.e Alcohol(FUNCTIONAL HYDROXY) cigarette NICOTINE

IT HOWEVER EXPEDIENT THAT IF HE SENDS ME TO BUY IT OR ASK ME FOR MONEY TO BUY IT I WILL NOT BUY IT OR EVEN TOUCH IT (FOR I WILL NOT BE AN AID TO HIS SIN)
Re: Christians And Alcohol by Nobody: 12:23pm On May 23, 2008
Why Do Some Churches Preach Against Taking Alcohol When It Is Not Biblical?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A lot of christian denominations especially the pentecostal preach that the bible says we shouldn't take alcohol and a lot of people believe this lie without verifying it in  the bible themselves. i have searched the whole bible and i found several passages that endorses the taking of alcohol and not one that says you should not take it, for lack of space i cannot state all of them here but i would mention two well known examples, 1 Jesus turned water into wine, 2 Jesus served his disciples wine at the last supper. Now i know some hypocrites would try and suggest that it was non alcoholic wine. but my answer to that is there is no such thing as non alcoholic wine, wine as defined in the dictionary is "an alcoholic beverage". Also certainly if you read the bible well you would know that wine in the bible is intoxicating hence passages such as "do not be drunk with wine". emphasis here is drunk, notice the bible did not say "do not drink wine" it said "do not be drunk with wine" meaning that we can drink, we just shouldn't get drunk. or put another way we shouldn't drink excessively. but then some of my christian brethen would say the bible says we shouldn't drink ( i am still waitng for the day someone would show me were in the bible). Why do we deceive ourselves so much Remember the book of revelations 22 : 18-19 forbids us to add or remove anything from the word of God. so all ye false preachers beware
Re: Christians And Alcohol by Nobody: 4:31pm On May 25, 2008
actually te bible says we should not take alcohol, but i personally see nothing wrong in drinking responsively.
Re: Christians And Alcohol by Nobody: 4:35pm On May 25, 2008
actually the bible tells us not to take alcohol, but i see nothing wrong in drinking responsively, say if one can maintain 1 bottle per month.
Re: Christians And Alcohol by niman(m): 6:07pm On May 25, 2008
It depends upon the people who wants or not use drink alcohol, if some one can give up the alcohol to drink, that will be very very good for him or her for all reason, the main reason is the who wants to feel the presence of God he/she must to give up first alcohol, then other, !

This is the personal thought, thanks.

niman
Re: Christians And Alcohol by Nobody: 11:11am On May 26, 2008
holamiday:

actually te bible says we should not take alcohol, but i personally see nothing wrong in drinking responsively.
niman:

It depends upon the people who wants or not use drink alcohol, if some one can give up the alcohol to drink, that will be very very good for him or her for all reason, the main reason is the who wants to feel the presence of God he/she must to give up first alcohol, then other, !

This is the personal thought, thanks.

niman
Can any of you two guys quote at least one bible passage in proper context which supports the blasphamious statements you just made, cause i have read several srciptures in the bible that says we can take alcohol.
Re: Christians And Alcohol by Nobody: 9:17am On May 27, 2008
Jagoon:

Can any of you two guys quote at least one bible passage in proper context which supports the blasphamious statements you just made, cause i have read several srciptures in the bible that says we can take alcohol.
you know honestly i can not exactly where but i am dead sure God hasn't permited us to take alcohol ask your pastor. you must be misinterpreting the bible.
Re: Christians And Alcohol by Nobody: 10:16am On May 27, 2008
holamiday:

you know honestly i can not exactly where but i am dead sure God hasn't permited us to take alcohol ask your pastor. you must be misinterpreting the bible.
I don't rely on my pastor or any man to tell me the word of God, i read my bible myself. even though i could seek my pastors guidiance in studying the bible, ultimately i depend on the bible and not my pastor to know the word of God. I can assure you that i have asked several preachers and people like your self who have decided to add their personal biase to the bible to show me were it is explicitly stated in the bible that you shouldn't drink, nobody as been able to come up with any. I would now give you two scriptures which says you can drink apart from the popular example of Jesus turning water into wine and sharing of wine at his lastsupper.(Please note that jewish wine that was taken then was alcoholic contrary to the deception some self righteous people trying to suggest that it was non alcoholic)  Deuteronomy 14 : 26 says; spend it on whatever you want , beef, lamb, wine, beer, and there in the presence of the lord your God you and your families are to eat and enjoy yourselves 1 timothy 5 : 23 says; donot drink water only, but take a little wine to help your digestion since you are sick so often. These are direct bible quotes were it was expressly stated that we can take wine, beer, or other strong drinks yet some people commit blasphemy and preach what is not in the bible just because personally they don't like alcohol. Holamiday, i would advise you to read your bible more if you desire to know the true word of God and not just rely on your pastor who is an ordinary man like you with his own human biases.
Re: Christians And Alcohol by iHustle(m): 5:24pm On Jan 07, 2011
The problem myopic people have with alcohol is drunkenness. I have these questions for them:

1. why don't they have a problem with gluttony, oversleeping, overworking, excessive sugar consumption, etc. Aren't they equally bad?
2. Is too much of anything good? why do they single out alcohol?   

Now, for those 'Christians' who follow what their 'pastors' tell them: that drinking alcohol is a sin, I bet you don't have a clue who Christ is, and you haven't studied your Bible well enough to escape from the deceit of your 'pastor'.     shocked shocked shocked

I have this for you:

1. Genesis 14:18- Then Melchizedek, the king of Salem and priest of God Most High, brought him(Abram) bread and WINE
2. Psalm 104:15-  WINE to make them glad,
3. Ecclesiastes 5:18-  Even so, I've noticed one thing, at least, that is good. It is good for people to eat well, drink a good glass of WINE, and enjoy their work-whatever they do under the sun-for however long God lets them live.
4. Isaiah 25:6- In Jerusalem, the LORD Almighty will spread a wonderful feast for everyone around the world. It will be a delicious feast of good food, with clear, WELL-AGED WINE and choice beef. 
5. John 2- Jesus converts water to? WINE, 
6. Mark 14:23- And he(Jesus) took a cup of WINE and gave thanks to God for it. He gave it to them, and they all drank from it. And he said to them, "This is my blood, poured out for many, sealing the covenant between God and his people.
7. Timothy 5:23-  Don't drink only water. You(Timothy) ought to drink a little WINE for the sake of your stomach because you are sick so often.

*Throughout the New Testament you'll hear Jesus using WINE in several parables

What is the definition of WINE?
1.)  alcohol fermented from grapes: an alcoholic drink made by fermenting the juice of grapes
Microsoft® Encarta® 2008. © 1993-2007 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
2. ) alcohol fermented from other fruit: an alcoholic drink made by fermenting the juice or an infusion of another fruit, a flower, or a vegetable
dandelion wine
Microsoft® Encarta® 2008. © 1993-2007 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
3.)  something stimulating or intoxicating: something that has a stimulating or intoxicating effect resembling that of wine (literary)

A word is enough for the wise!
Re: Christians And Alcohol by tpia1: 5:42pm On Jan 07, 2011
all fructose and monosacaride sugar is wine based but it is soft wine when it is converted to alcohol by fermentation it is no more soft wine.

going by this definition, all food is wine.

even eba.
Re: Christians And Alcohol by tpia1: 5:49pm On Jan 07, 2011
@ topic

stuff means different things to different people.

some avoid alcohol, others consider it a sin to drink coffee, while we also have AA [alcoholics anonymous] consisting of those for whom wine is a problem.

in some countries, i understand the water quality is bad, so the residents drink wine or some other alcohol instead.

if you must drink, do so without judging those who dont, and if you dont drink, then remember not to be overly critical about those who do.

we all have to make our own mistakes in life, and learn from them if possible.

my opinion which isnt infallible.

for many, drinking [like smoking] is a way of life and to each his own.
Re: Christians And Alcohol by ayobase(m): 3:59pm On Mar 16, 2012
English1: Can anyone explain to me why some (certainly not all) Christians believe that they mustn't drink alcohol?

After all, Jesus drank it. He turned water into wine. Even at the last supper he said that wine was his body so many Christians use wine in their holy communion.

Why do the no-alcohol christians disapprove of people doing something that Jesus did?

I'm not criticising anyone who holds this belief, I don't care who drinks alcohol and who doesn't, but I'd just like to understand why you believe it?

differentiate btw wine and alcohol!
Re: Christians And Alcohol by ayobase(m): 4:09pm On Mar 16, 2012
iHustle: The problem myopic people have with alcohol is drunkenness. I have these questions for them:

1. why don't they have a problem with gluttony, oversleeping, overworking, excessive sugar consumption, etc. Aren't they equally bad?
2. Is too much of anything good? why do they single out alcohol?   

Now, for those 'Christians' who follow what their 'pastors' tell them: that drinking alcohol is a sin, I bet you don't have a clue who Christ is, and you haven't studied your Bible well enough to escape from the deceit of your 'pastor'.     shocked shocked shocked

I have this for you:

1. Genesis 14:18- Then Melchizedek, the king of Salem and priest of God Most High, brought him(Abram) bread and WINE
2. Psalm 104:15-  WINE to make them glad,
3. Ecclesiastes 5:18-  Even so, I've noticed one thing, at least, that is good. It is good for people to eat well, drink a good glass of WINE, and enjoy their work-whatever they do under the sun-for however long God lets them live.
4. Isaiah 25:6- In Jerusalem, the LORD Almighty will spread a wonderful feast for everyone around the world. It will be a delicious feast of good food, with clear, WELL-AGED WINE and choice beef. 
5. John 2- Jesus converts water to? WINE, 
6. Mark 14:23- And he(Jesus) took a cup of WINE and gave thanks to God for it. He gave it to them, and they all drank from it. And he said to them, "This is my blood, poured out for many, sealing the covenant between God and his people.
7. Timothy 5:23-  Don't drink only water. You(Timothy) ought to drink a little WINE for the sake of your stomach because you are sick so often.

*Throughout the New Testament you'll hear Jesus using WINE in several parables

What is the definition of WINE?
1.)  alcohol fermented from grapes: an alcoholic drink made by fermenting the juice of grapes
2. ) alcohol fermented from other fruit: an alcoholic drink made by fermenting the juice or an infusion of another fruit, a flower, or a vegetable
dandelion wine
3.)  something stimulating or intoxicating: something that has a stimulating or intoxicating effect resembling that of wine (literary)

A word is enough for the wise!

imagine....so with all d records of wine drinking amidst celebrations in the Bible...was there any case of misbehaviour,cos Im sure somepple wld have drunk (awoof) in excess.
When Jeus turned the water to wine...was it left for some minutes for it to ferment. (alcohol)
So, now alcohol is now wine.
Do u know what fermented wine(alcohol) caused in the Bible.....daughter sleeping with, father, the naked man that issued curse!
Devil and his doctrines....the guy sabi Bible pass all of ur here o!
Re: Christians And Alcohol by CELL2ME2: 2:41pm On Mar 17, 2012
how on this earth will somebody say that drinking alcohol is a sin? have any of you that is saying this thing tested vine before? vine is the wine that JESUS and hid appostles used on last supper. vine is just like palmwine in tis fresh state its testy but contains alcohol while the alcohol increases as it ferments. If you va acatholic frined ask him how many % is mass wine. please lets wake up here. when in the bible one of the criteria of being reach is have a vine yard

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Christianity Losing The Battle On Nairaland? / The Revelation Story [ As John Might Have Told It Today ] - Jack Kelley / What's the Contributions Of Christianity To The Modern Science And Technology?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.