Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,850 members, 7,817,517 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:37 PM

Know More About Your Brake - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Know More About Your Brake (6824 Views)

Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One / Understand Your Brake System / BRAKE SYSTEM CARE 101: Caring For Your Brake System Components & Fluids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Know More About Your Brake by FordtalkatARS(m): 9:16am On Sep 23, 2016
You can expect to have to replace front discs and pads during a vehicle's life due to wear but are more likely to have to replace rear pads and discs because of corrosion. If you only use your car a little and always keep it in a garage rust is more likely to set in.

Braking systems rely on friction to bring the vehicle to a halt – hydraulic pressure pushes brake pads against a cast iron disc or brake shoes against the inside of a cast iron drum.

When a vehicle is decelerated, load is transferred to the front wheels – this means that the front brakes do most of the work in stopping the vehicle.

Considerable heat is created during braking and for effective operation this heat must be dissipated fairly quickly. Disc brakes are more efficient and their more open design compared to drums means they are much less susceptible to overheating.

When disc brakes were first fitted to all four wheels – initially to large cars and small sports models – a small drum brake was incorporated into the centre of the rear hubs for the parking brake.

As 'discs all round' has become commonplace, parking brake design has moved on and many now work by applying pads directly to the main discs – eliminating the need for a separate drum parking brake.

You might find it more difficult to apply and release a parking brake operating on a disc so it's important to check the operation of the parking brake when you test drive a new car.

Electrically operated parking brakes on newer cars may take a while to get used. The handbook will show a special release procedure to use if the car battery is flat.

With most of the braking force done by the front brakes, any surface rust is quickly cleaned off by the action of the pads on the discs.

Braking effort is much lower on the rear, especially on a small, light vehicle and may not be sufficient to clean corrosion from the surface of rear discs, particularly if the vehicle is used only infrequently and for local trips.

Corrosion is generally not a problem with rear drum brakes.

Initial, light corrosion can be cleaned off under reasonably heavy braking, but if left, this light corrosion gets worse and can lead to surface pitting which is acceptable as long as it does not seriously weaken the discs.
Surface pitting

This used to be a reason for MOT test failure but data available following the introduction of the computerised MOT showed that too many cars were failing the test on 'brake discs pitted' even though this was not sufficient to weaken the disc.

If you only use your car a little, you may need to pay the rear discs special consideration – putting a wet car away in the garage means it's going to spend lots of time in a damp atmosphere for rust to set in.

Front discs will wear and eventually become too thin. For safety reasons, vehicle manufacturers specify a minimum thickness for brake discs and when they reach this point, the discs must be replaced (discs should always be replaced in pairs). Pads must be renewed at the same time.
Distortion

Uneven heating and cooling can cause the disc to change shape and this can be detected as a juddering back through the pedal when the brakes are applied.

Thinner/worn discs are more likely to warp than newer, thicker discs.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Know More About Your Brake by yeyeboi(m): 7:04am On Sep 24, 2016
Ok useful tips, my friend that has a car must see this grin

2 Likes

Re: Know More About Your Brake by nairaman66(m): 7:04am On Sep 24, 2016
Very informative!! Kudos to the OP!!

N.B if you are not writing about Tonto Dike, Snakes, Boobs or Buttocksz don't bother about your piece hitting FP!
Re: Know More About Your Brake by didijay(m): 7:04am On Sep 24, 2016
Cool
Re: Know More About Your Brake by Harwoyeez(m): 7:04am On Sep 24, 2016
Thanks for the info
Re: Know More About Your Brake by nony43(m): 7:06am On Sep 24, 2016
Noted
Re: Know More About Your Brake by kaen1317: 7:12am On Sep 24, 2016
What's there to know? If your brake pads are worn change them and make sure u hv hydraulic
Re: Know More About Your Brake by 9niceguy(m): 7:16am On Sep 24, 2016
good one
Re: Know More About Your Brake by Sonbuking: 7:17am On Sep 24, 2016
Na for pipl wey get motor nah embarassed

1 Like

Re: Know More About Your Brake by Techpaded(f): 7:31am On Sep 24, 2016
Thanks!!
Re: Know More About Your Brake by AnusOdourInhaler: 7:33am On Sep 24, 2016
Rear brakes takes decades to deteriorate
Re: Know More About Your Brake by donklef(m): 7:36am On Sep 24, 2016
Thanks for the info,we drivers know this since 195BC.
Re: Know More About Your Brake by bjt(m): 7:46am On Sep 24, 2016
Sonbuking:
Na for pipl wey get motor nah embarassed

Your own go soon come, learn before the time.
Re: Know More About Your Brake by chrisxxx(m): 8:11am On Sep 24, 2016
This is a bit too long. Not concise. Should have been highlighted for easy reading and comprehension.
I may be the only one feeling this way.

2 Likes

Re: Know More About Your Brake by cardoctor(m): 8:12am On Sep 24, 2016
Its usually the first thing you learn about when you get into the driving seat for the first time.
Re: Know More About Your Brake by kayelm87(m): 8:46am On Sep 24, 2016
You should also check your brake pad, when it wears completely, your car disc is in trouble and you won't enjoy your driving when you step on the brake pedal.
Re: Know More About Your Brake by Emeka71(m): 10:24am On Sep 24, 2016
I use to think the brakes have more impact on the back tyre than the front tyre.

1 Like

Re: Know More About Your Brake by moscobabs(m): 12:42pm On Sep 24, 2016
Op I bought my car (Quest) In 2014 and I have not changed any of the break pad till date even the break fluid has not reduced since then and my break never failed me for once although I use the car twice a week
do I need to be afraid of anything since there is no negative sign now?

thanks sir
Re: Know More About Your Brake by lonelydora: 12:48pm On Sep 24, 2016
After two days, I still entered first page. Where are all our Nairalanders? Hope rapture never take place ooooo.
Re: Know More About Your Brake by professore(m): 2:57pm On Sep 24, 2016
(discs should always be replaced in pairs). Pads must be renewed at the same time.

I gained this

1 Like

Re: Know More About Your Brake by babestell(f): 5:42pm On Sep 24, 2016
My car screeches when I am reversing or coming to a stop. Should I be worried?
Re: Know More About Your Brake by Chuknovski(m): 7:59pm On Sep 24, 2016
Brakes are very important for effective drive
Re: Know More About Your Brake by Chuknovski(m): 8:04pm On Sep 24, 2016
[quote author=babestell post=49639692]My car screeches when I am reversing or coming to a stop. Should I be worried?

No much worries depending on the position, front or rear, then you may need to change your pad,although there are fake pads that make funny noises when brake is applied, bottom line take the car to mechanic to diagnose
Re: Know More About Your Brake by erico2k2(m): 12:59pm On Sep 25, 2016
moscobabs:
Op I bought my car (Quest) In 2014 and I have not changed any of the break pad till date even the break fluid has not reduced since then and my break never failed me for once although I use the car twice a week
do I need to be afraid of anything since there is no negative sign now?

thanks sir
aways check ur brake pads, its a very easy thing to do, if you can get your Tyre off,look how thick they are fru the calipers.
Re: Know More About Your Brake by erico2k2(m): 1:01pm On Sep 25, 2016
[quote author=Chuknovski post=49643151][/quote]
if you ever had that squicky noise, ask such person to add brake grease to the back and non contact part of the pad, this will stop it.
NB not regular grease but brake grease,silicon based.

2 Likes

Re: Know More About Your Brake by FordtalkatARS(m): 11:09am On Sep 27, 2016
@moscobabs...First of all I hope where your car is parked is not exposed to water or any other liquid that could bring up the pad rusting? if no, there I can tell you that you need not be worried from experience, but if it were to be an area in which water could easily penetrate or the car is exposed to liquid i.e rainfall, marshy areas, then there is cause for alarm because the penetration of liquid to the brake pads allows for rusty surface and this may endanger its qualitative output when used.
Re: Know More About Your Brake by FordtalkatARS(m): 11:13am On Sep 27, 2016
@babestell...Please take note the period in which you notice the screeching sound and secondly what kind of car are we looking at?
Re: Know More About Your Brake by erico2k2(m): 9:09pm On Sep 28, 2016
FordtalkatARS:
@moscobabs...First of all I hope where your car is parked is not exposed to water or any other liquid that could bring up the pad rusting? if no, there I can tell you that you need not be worried from experience, but if it were to be an area in which water could easily penetrate or the car is exposed to liquid i.e rainfall, marshy areas, then there is cause for alarm because the penetration of liquid to the brake pads allows for rusty surface and this may endanger its qualitative output when used.
Bross brake pads do not rust, thier surface are made of high carbon and ceramics, almost same material as your native pot
there are two reason you will get squicks,,
You brake pads are finished and teh metal in teh back is binding with teh disc
The spring behind it is weaken and there is movement each time you apply brake

(1) (Reply)

How To Detect Car Horn Faults / Is It A Crime To Drive Right Hand Cars In Nigeria: ? / Custom Duty For Lexus RX 350

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.