Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,198 members, 7,818,662 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:09 PM

D - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / D (830 Views)

"Statue Of Jesus In Anambra Drops Water Miraculously"(Photos Shared On Facebook) / Can I Believe God But Not Jesus And Still Make Heaven? / Can You Rock This Jesus And Mary Bathroom Slippers? (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

D by Nobody: 7:27am On Sep 25, 2016
"

2 Likes

Re: D by Oscar4real(m): 7:41am On Sep 25, 2016
shocked

1 Like

Re: D by rottennaija(m): 8:02am On Sep 25, 2016
Lennycool:
One of the most central messages in Christianity is Jesus's love for all of humanity irrespective of race, social status, gender or nationality, according to Christianity Jesus loves you. This message of undiscriminating love was one of the reasons Christianity spread so quickly in ancient Rome, were it was at odds with the next major religion at the time, The Sons of Mithras, whose religion didn't allow women or slaves to pray to its God. So its message of love was pivotal to its spread, but the question is does Jesus really love you(and since you're on nairaland I'm going to go out on a limb an guess you're African), Jesus was surrounded by slaves and slavery throughout his brief earth walk, yet the text contains nothing about him condemning slavery, which as any one that has ever watched a roman set movie will know was brutal, hence Jesus either approved of it or he tolerated it since it was socially acceptable, but the latter cannot be the answer, since as any one that has ever read the bible will know Jesus didn't care about conforming to society, and regularly went against the Jews, so why nothing on slavery. Another answer might be that he did say something on slavery and that part was removed by slavery loving people, but this begs the question if one part of the bible can be corrupted then what else can and can we know the difference. Now Jesus also preaches of brotherly love but Jesus himself was also bigoted and isn't all loving as he is portrayed.
In Matthew 15:22-26 we find evidence of his bias.

A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, "Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is suffering terribly from demon-possession." Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him and urged him,"Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us." He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel." The woman came and knelt before him. "Lord, help me!" she said. He replied, "It is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs."
sure he healed her daughter later but that doesn't excuse his behaviour. Know how would he have treated an African? Who would even be more different than he was, and certainly not part of the lost sheep of Isreal.
Christians should try to explain this.

This story is in the Bible. UT has been heard of many times
Re: D by Payper(m): 8:16am On Sep 25, 2016
The Bible never really condemned slavery due to the nature of slavery in those days. Slavery in Biblical times was quite different from the slavery of the 17th/18th century, infact let's look at what the Bible says concerning the 17th century-type of slavery:
Exodus 21:16-

"He who kidnaps a man,
whether he sells him or he is
found in his possession, shall
surely be put to
death."

In ancient Israel, it was common practise that people who could not provide for themselves or their families sold them into slavery so they would not die of starvation or exposure. In this way, a person would receive food and housing in exchange for labor.

Despite the fact that slavery back then was mostly self-willed the Bible still went ahead to create rules exist to protect the slave. Injuring or killing slaves was punishable -
up to death of the offending party- like a modern day Labour act that regulates employer-employee relationships.
For instance:

1) Hebrews were commanded not to make their
slave work on the Sabbath,

2) slander a slave,

3) have sex with another man's slave,

4) or return an escaped slave.

5) A Hebrew was not to enslave his fellow countryman, even if he owed him money, but was to have him work as a hired worker, and he
was to be released in 7 years or in the year of jubilee (which occurred every 50 years), whichever came first.

6 In fact, the slave owner was encouraged to "pamper his slave".

These guidelines set the terms on which a Master must treat his slave and erring from these guidelines triggered dere consequences.

The idea that God or Christianity encourages or approves of slavery is shown to be false. In fact, anybody who was caught selling another. person into slavery was to be executed. However, since voluntary slavery was widely practiced during biblical times, the Bible prescribes laws to protect the lives and health of
slaves. Paul, the author of many of the New Testament writings, virtually ordered the Christian Philemon to release his Christian slave from his service to "do what is proper". In addition, numerous verses from the New Testament show that God values slaves as much as any free person and is not partial to anyone's standing before other people.

1 Like

Re: D by oloriooko(m): 8:26am On Sep 25, 2016
Payper:

The Bible never really condemned slavery due to the nature of slavery in those days. Slavery in Biblical times was quite different from the slavery of the 17th/18th century, infact let's look at what the Bible says concerning the 17th century-type of slavery:

"He who kidnaps a man,
surely be put to
death."

In ancient Israel, it was common practise that people who could not provide for themselves or their families sold them into slavery so they would not die of starvation or exposure. In this way, a person would receive food and housing in exchange for labor.

Despite the fact that slavery back then was mostly self-willed the Bible still went ahead to create rules exist to protect the slave. Injuring or killing slaves was punishable -
up to death of the offending party- like a modern day Labour act that regulates employer-employee relationships.
For instance:

2) slander a slave,

5) A Hebrew was not to enslave his fellow countryman, even if he owed him money, but was to have him work as a hired worker, and he
was to be released in 7 years or in the year of jubilee (which occurred every 50 years), whichever came first.

These guidelines set the terms on which a Master must treat his slave and erring from these guidelines triggered dere consequences.

The idea that God or Christianity encourages or approves of slavery is shown to be false. In fact, anybody who was caught selling another. person into slavery was to be executed. However, since voluntary slavery was widely practiced during biblical times, the Bible prescribes laws to protect the lives and health of
slaves. Paul, the author of many of the New Testament writings, virtually ordered the Christian Philemon to release his Christian slave from his service to "do what is proper". In addition, numerous verses from the New Testament show that God values slaves as much as any free person and is not partial to anyone's standing before other people.

Thank you for the exposé but I think the point of the OP is why did Jesus make that statement: It is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs.
Re: D by Payper(m): 9:14am On Sep 25, 2016
oloriooko:

Thank you for the exposé but I think the point of the OP is why did Jesus make that statement: It is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs.

OP asked several questions from his post and I tried to clarify the first question asked.
As for Jesus' response to the canaanite woman, I'll like to draw my reference from the Gospel according to Mark ( OP used the Gospel of Matthew in his post) for more clarity, pardon me.

Mark 7:24-30
Jesus left that place and went to the vicinity of
Tyre. He entered a house and did not want
anyone to know it; yet he could not keep his
presence secret. In fact, as soon as she heard
about him, a woman whose little daughter was
possessed by an evil spirit came and fell at his
feet. The woman was a Greek, born in Syrian
Phoenicia. She begged Jesus to drive the demon
out of her daughter.
"First let the children eat all they want," he told
her, "for it is not right to take the children's bread
and toss it to their dogs."
"Yes, Lord," she replied, "but even the dogs under
the table eat the children's crumbs."
Then he told her, "For such a reply, you may go;
the demon has left your daughter."
She went home and found her child lying on the
bed, and the demon gone. NIV

Now:
Weren't Jesus' remarks mean? Why didn't he
heal her daughter immediately?

Jesus tested the woman with a test he knew she
would pass. Jesus treated the people he healed as
individuals, and dealt with each person differently
based on their level of faith. Some people's
requests were granted when they asked ( Mt
8:2-3); some were healed without asking for it (Mk
5:1-13, 25-29); some were asked if they believed
Jesus could heal them before they were healed
( Mt 9:27-30). Jesus may have done this to teach
the woman and the disciples: the woman learned
that she could always trust in God's love and
mercy, even when her requests were not
immediately answered (something Jesus taught
the disciples in Lk 18:1-8 ), and the disciples
learned that God's salvation and mercy were
extended to the Gentiles as well as the Jews.

1 Like

Re: D by Nobody: 11:20am On Sep 25, 2016
Payper:

OP asked several questions from his post and I tried to clarify the first question asked.
As for Jesus' response to the canaanite woman, I'll like to draw my reference from the Gospel according to Mark ( OP used the Gospel of Matthew in his post) for more clarity, pardon me.

Mark 7:24-30
Jesus left that place and went to the vicinity of
Tyre. He entered a house and did not want
anyone to know it; yet he could not keep his
presence secret. In fact, as soon as she heard
about him, a woman whose little daughter was
possessed by an evil spirit came and fell at his
feet. The woman was a Greek, born in Syrian
Phoenicia. She begged Jesus to drive the demon
out of her daughter.
"First let the children eat all they want," he told
her, "for it is not right to take the children's bread
and toss it to their dogs."
"Yes, Lord," she replied, "but even the dogs under
the table eat the children's crumbs."
Then he told her, "For such a reply, you may go;
the demon has left your daughter."
She went home and found her child lying on the
bed, and the demon gone. NIV

Now:
Weren't Jesus' remarks mean? Why didn't he
heal her daughter immediately?

Jesus tested the woman with a test he knew she
would pass. Jesus treated the people he healed as
individuals, and dealt with each person differently
based on their level of faith. Some people's
requests were granted when they asked ( Mt
8:2-3); some were healed without asking for it (Mk
5:1-13, 25-29); some were asked if they believed
Jesus could heal them before they were healed
( Mt 9:27-30). Jesus may have done this to teach
the woman and the disciples: the woman learned
that she could always trust in God's love and
mercy, even when her requests were not
immediately answered (something Jesus taught
the disciples in Lk 18:1-8 ), and the disciples
learned that God's salvation and mercy were
extended to the Gentiles as well as the Jews.
Guy na so you take corner corner my question? One part of the bible does not affect the relevance of the other. Jesus basically called this woman inferior and you're saying it's a test. He also stated plainly that he came only for the lost sheep of Isreal, and the woman continued to beg and so he threw the scraps for her. Is that not ethnicism?

1 Like

Re: D by Nobody: 11:43am On Sep 25, 2016
Payper:

"He who kidnaps a man,
surely be put to
death."

For instance:

2) slander a slave,

Have you read the Bible at all, so you're trying to tell me all the slaves were willing. I dey laugh you grin please open Numbers 31: 8 -18 and then come with that rubbish. Also your argument is flawed in the new testament were the romans allowed a brutal form oofd slavery to which Jesus said nothing on. Most of the slaves then didn't sell themselves but were forced into it. So please make up another excuse for Jesus.

2 Likes

Re: D by SirShifty: 1:51am On Sep 26, 2016
Christians will defend anything once its in the Bible whether it is slavery, genocide, racism. Jesus never intended his message for any other group than the Jews, he was a loyal devotee of the in-group mentality and hostility for outer groups like every other religious Jew at the time. In this passage he openly states the woman is inferior to Israeli people. It was Apostle Paul who invented the idea of spreading the message to the Gentiles.

2 Likes

Re: D by oaroloye(m): 8:44am On Sep 28, 2016
SHALOM!

As usual, the Unbeliever Fool misses the point, pointed at, and complains about the pointer.

Yahshua HAD NO RIGHT to Heal the Canaaniite woman's DEVIL-TORMENTED daughter, until the mother humbled herself, and exploited the ONLY OTHER LOOPHOLE that would work:

She could receive SCRAPS OF POWER that Yahshua had had UNUSED, because the Israelites he was sent to serve HADN'T DEPLETED IT, as a CHATTEL OF THE COVENANT PEOPLE.

What was the Daughter's Complaint: she was TORMENTED BY A DEVIL.

How does THAT happen?

The Devils CANNOT walk up to just ANYBODY, and start "TORMENTING" them!

That cannot happen.

. AMOS 3:3.

3. "Can two walk together,
except they be agreed?"

. DIANETICS AXIOM 118.

118. A person cannot become aberrated unless
They have Agreed-Upon that Aberration,
Been In-Communication With a Source of Aberration,
And have Had Affinity-For the Aberration.

[See: SCIENTOLOGY 0-8: The BookOf Basics, by L. Ron Hubbard.]

DON JUAN MATUS, the Manual Teacher of CARLOS CASTANEDA explained and demonstrated how COMPLETE IGNORANCE of Spiritual Knowledge and Procedures caused Spuritual Energy to CONDENSE on the forward part of the Soul Body, forming an IMPENETRABLE SHIELD against SPIRITUAL POWERS.

Therefore, it had happened in History, that peoples with Ultimate Spiritual Powers that could uproot MOUNTAINS, even, were TOTALLY SCREWED by Conquerers who didn't know JACK!

[See: THE FIRE FROM WITHIN, by Carlos Castaneda.]

One of his fellow Apprentices, MARIA ELENA, confided to Carlos Castaneda how that the Manual have warned them all, that their training would reach a critical point where they would LOSE ALL SHIELDS, and become VULNERABLE to HOSTILE SPIRITUAL INFLUENCES they could not control.

She was rather wicked and foolish, so she disregarded his warnings, never to go to the numerous ANCIENT TEMPLES and SHRINES they had in their country- so she went to every one she could.

Son Juan Matus warned them NOT TO FOOL WITH POWER-OBJECTS (Fetishes, Charms, Amulets,) when they reached that stage. So she found one. It was just a stone that had a hole through it one's finger could fit into.

She intuited that it might have been the Power-Object of a Sorcerer, and so she cultivated it.

She hit the "JACKPOT." Sorta.

She began to see part of the LIFE HISTORY of the Sorcerer who had owned that stone- centuries ago.

Specifically, she saw HOW HE DIED.

He was POWERFUL- but he was TAKEN OUT by somebody even more powerful.

At the end, he was overrun by PYGMY PEOPLE, who came for HIS Power.

He didn't want to GIVE it to them- so they took it BY FORCE.

BY EATING HIM ALIVE.

Therefore, he struggled to send his remaining power into the stone- which they knew, but could not stop- so they began biting his flesh and drinking his blood the faster.

He died horribly.

Maria Elena SAW all this FROM THE VIEWPOINT OF THE POOR FOOL WHO HAD OWNED THE STONE.

She could FEEL some of his DEATH-AGONIES as if they were happening to HER!

This was because SHE HAD NO SHIELDS.

SHE COULD NOT TURN THE VISIONS OFF.

She began to go INSANE from the continual visions of Pygmy People rushing her, and biting her to death!

[See: THE SECOND RING OF POWER, by Carlos Castaneda.]

THIS IS WHAT THE CANAANITE WOMAN MEANT, BY: "MY DAUGHTER IS GRIEVOUSLY TORMENTED WITH A DEVIL!"

THIS is how you GET such Devils!

You DARED to pass Judgment on a PROPHET OF GOD, for IGNORING a DEVIL-WORSHIPPER?

If the Woman had RESPECTED YAHWEH GOD- said that she RENOUNCED their Devil-Worshipping ways, and REPENTED to serve THE ONE TRUE GOD, it would HAVE TO have been a DIFFERENT STORY!

But SHE RENOUNCED NOTHING.

Do you understand?

Do you understand the DEPTHS of your BLASPHEMY?

Re: D by Nobody: 9:06am On Sep 28, 2016
See this negro oh, so what's your point. I asked a simple question, and you've quoted up to five books, unaffiliated with the bible. Did Jesus say this woman was a devil worshipper or did the bible just say her daughter was possessed, how is tormenting and working together, the same. Besides Jesus came for the sinners and not the righteous.

1 Like

Re: D by Nobody: 10:59am On Sep 28, 2016
when I see a black person defending racism or slavery, I wonder where their brain went,I is in slavery also,I don't blame you,just like a chicken defending chicken suya or feather pillow

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

What Are The Different Names And Titles Of The Bible? / Who Takes Glory In A Fake Church / Fake Man Of God Everywhere. . Please Mind Where You Worship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.