Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,543 members, 7,819,929 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:59 AM

Centenary Hall Ake: The Historic Hall Which Egbas Built For 100 Years(pic) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Centenary Hall Ake: The Historic Hall Which Egbas Built For 100 Years(pic) (24355 Views)

Enugu Centenary, Lifestyle & Golf City In Pictures / The Historic Point Of No Return In Badagry: A Nairalander's Account / Enugu Centenary And Golf City Is Emerging- Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Centenary Hall Ake: The Historic Hall Which Egbas Built For 100 Years(pic) by OBALORLA(m): 4:00pm On Sep 25, 2016
The most popular means of transportation in Abeokuta are taxicabs and bikes. Buses and trains are less and are least popular in terms of movement. Perhaps this is due to the population and movement rate of the populace (approximately 500,000) compared to lagos which houses over 20 million.

I took a straight shuttle from the main campus of Mapoly straight down to the notorious Panseke. The aim was to quickly visit one of the oldest monumental structures in the state.

Panseke is to Abeokuta what Oshodi is to Lagos. It is the most popular bus stop in this rocky city. According to one of the aged drivers who embarked on a lengthy narration session on getting to know I am a stranger, ‘Kosi oko ton wa ti ooni ri ni panseke‘ (i.e in panseke, you will find a bus or cab to wherever you are going in Abeokuta).

I boarded a bike after many minutes of continuous haggling because in Abeokuta, what they do is add at least #50 to the original cost of the fare. For instance if the real cost of a fare is supposed to be 100 the driver/rider will tell you it’s 150. Expecting you to haggle the price down to 90 naira, but if you don’t, you’d angrily continue to live with the perception that ABK (an acronym for Abeokuta) is an expensive city to live in. Haggling is a highly needed trait every traveler should have, trust me.

The picture soon became clearer and more colourful when on alighting right in front of the cream painted building, I discovered it stands directly in front of the almighty Alake palace.
centenary hall Ake
a closer look at the centenary hall Ake

“How long could this building have been standing here?” I wondered as a moved cautiously towards the evidently empty edifice.

“Perhaps, it’s not an opening day”, I wondered as I went closer, this time a few steps away from the entrance. As I made the last step, I heard someone shout (signifying that I wait and at the same time asking me what i wanted).

With my travel handbag strapped around my shoulder, I quickly retreated from the action as I walked briskly towards the frail looking man seated inside a shop right beside the hall. It wasn’t difficult to understand that he was the one in charge of the hall.

He inquired my mission and I wasted no time in prostrating while I answered his question as I rose from my horizontal position. He was impressed with the mission with the look on his face. I was almost sure he’d be glad to show me around the hall as intended.

We set to work instantly as he led me into the hall.

According to him, the centenary hall is the photo album of Egba Land, it is where the portrait of past heroes of Egbaland are being fixed for sake of history.

Baba brought out a historic book which houses the names of past kings, chiefs and heroes in Egba land and their period of reign.

Baba decried the poor data collection attitude of Africans including Nigeria because the farthest the book could provide us was as far back as 1920. I consoled him with a prolonged grin- assuring him that I’d try my best in doing my part in helping the situation.

king of Egba land
a pose beside the potrait of Oba Adedotun Aremu Gbadebo

Showing the past kings of Egba kingdom:

Oba Oladapo Ademola ii

According to history,Oba Oladapo reigned from 27th of sept. 1920 to the 26th of December 1962, spending a whooping 42 years on the throne.

“Ademola lawa gbonju bal aye” (i.e Ademola was the king we grew up knowing)
Oladapo Ademola II 1920-1962
Oladapo Ademola II
1920-1962

Oba Samuel Adeshina gbadebo

King Samuel Adeshina ascended the throne on the 28th of September 1963 and ruled until the 3rd of February 2005 (another 42 years).

Oba Adedotun Aremu Gbadebo

Stepped in November 2006 and is still the present ruler till date.

The past chiefs of Egba land include:

Late chief Sogunle Aboaba.

Chief Sogunle during his time was the Balogun of Egba from 1815 to 1911.

Chief Anthony Oladunjoye Adetolu

This chief was the Asalu of Egbas and base of Ake during his reign. He was also the president of the native court grade “A” Ake Abeokuta and later died at Abeokuta on the 25th of January 1925. He was a descendant of The Larun and Jibodu house.

Chief Durojaiye Sowemimo

Reigned from 1865 to 1949. Up till his death, he was the Balogun of all the Christians in Egba land.

Chief Tairu Braimoh Olaleye

Was installed as Balogun Ilagun on the 3rd of March 1906 and became the Otun of Egba land in 1907. He later died on the 29th of June 1913.

Late Chief (Prince) Rufai Olatunbosun Adeyemi Ayodeji Jiboso

Reigned as the Otun of Itoko from 1965 to 1977

Born in 1867 and died on the 7th of June 1977

Chief A.A Titcombe

Born in 1886 and died in 1953. He was the Asoju of Egba land during the reign of late king Oladapo Ademola II and was also the secretary of Egba native authority within 1937-1950.

Chief Mrs Esther Bisoye Tejuosho (OON)

Became the Iyalode of Egba land in 1982

Was born in 1916 and died in 1996.

Her son who is the present Oba of Sapon (leadership runs in the blood!) is Oba Adedapo Adewale Tejuosho He ascended the throne on the 20th of may 1989 and is currently still ruling.
Interior of the centenary hall
Interior of the centenary hall

After putting all these facts and figures down in my notepad, Baba added that centenary hall is also a multipurpose events centre where innumerable numbers of events (especially weddings) are held.

Though, it’s a historical centre, it’s not restricted as everyone could use it for events but will have to pay a token to gain access.

What fascinated me more was the smell of history oozing uncontrollably inside the hall.

I thanked Baba, took a couple of pictures including a selfie with baba, which he was pleased with, before heading straight to the other side of the road to explore the palace of the Alake of Egba land.
selfie with Baba who also doubled as my photographer after few minutes of training
selfie with Baba who also doubled as my photographer after few minutes of training

I was however barred by a palace guard. He explained to me that I couldn’t come in because the council of chiefs were having a meeting. I turned back without protesting. How could I have?

Fact: The centenary hall’s foundation was laid in 1830 and completed in 1930 after a 100 years.

http://www.nomadicnegro.com/2016/09/25/centenary-hall-ake-the-hall-which-took-egba-people-100-years-to-build/

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Centenary Hall Ake: The Historic Hall Which Egbas Built For 100 Years(pic) by tosine25: 4:45pm On Sep 25, 2016
informative
Re: Centenary Hall Ake: The Historic Hall Which Egbas Built For 100 Years(pic) by chukxie(m): 5:01pm On Sep 25, 2016
What a magnificent European building. Nigeria is dotted with historical monuments like the one in your article waiting to be explored, and their stories told. Thank you for sharing the story of this great monument with us.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Centenary Hall Ake: The Historic Hall Which Egbas Built For 100 Years(pic) by Larwin(m): 5:07pm On Sep 25, 2016
cool

@Op in case your thinking of donating boreholes to the Abẹ́òkúta or ogún communities you can contact me.

For more info on borehole drilling and geophysical investigations check here.

https://www.nairaland.com/3236298/know-geophysical-investigation-borehole-drilling

wink wink wink

1 Like

Re: Centenary Hall Ake: The Historic Hall Which Egbas Built For 100 Years(pic) by OBALORLA(m): 10:18pm On Sep 25, 2016
tosine25:
informative

thanks tosine25. all you need do is just stay tuned. the aim is to explore as many monuments as possible
Re: Centenary Hall Ake: The Historic Hall Which Egbas Built For 100 Years(pic) by OBALORLA(m): 10:25pm On Sep 25, 2016
chukxie:
What a magnificent European building. Nigeria is dotted with historical monuments like the one in your article waiting to be explored, and their stories told. Thank you for sharing the story of this great monument with us.

don't worry chukxie, the drive bothers around the fact that many do not know these places exist. but I pray to live long so as to explore as much as I can.
thanks for reaching out. just stay tuned as I push for the next monument.
Re: Centenary Hall Ake: The Historic Hall Which Egbas Built For 100 Years(pic) by OBALORLA(m): 10:27pm On Sep 25, 2016
Larwin:
cool
I sight u larwin
Re: Centenary Hall Ake: The Historic Hall Which Egbas Built For 100 Years(pic) by chukxie(m): 1:07am On Sep 26, 2016
OBALORLA:

don't worry chukxie, the drive bothers around the fact that many do not know these places exist. but I pray to live long so as to explore as much as I can.
thanks for reaching out. just stay tuned as I push for the next monument.

You're right about many people not knowing the existence of such historical monuments. Part of the reason is because we live in a country where history is not valued. Another reason is that tourism (local and international) is almost nonexistent in Nigeria. Sad, right?

3 Likes

Re: Centenary Hall Ake: The Historic Hall Which Egbas Built For 100 Years(pic) by OBALORLA(m): 2:20am On Sep 26, 2016
chukxie:

You're right about many people not knowing the existence of such historical monuments. Part of the reason is because we live in a country where history is not valued. Another reason is that tourism (local and international) is almost nonexistent in Nigeria. Sad, right?

sure. its DAT appalling but this is the little I can do from my end here. I hope it helps though.
Re: Centenary Hall Ake: The Historic Hall Which Egbas Built For 100 Years(pic) by chukxie(m): 4:17am On Sep 26, 2016
OBALORLA:

sure. its DAT appalling but this is the little I can do from my end here. I hope it helps though.

I'm looking forward to your next update. Have a good sleep there in 9ja, it's morning here.

1 Like

Re: Centenary Hall Ake: The Historic Hall Which Egbas Built For 100 Years(pic) by OBALORLA(m): 6:13am On Sep 26, 2016
chukxie:

I'm looking forward to your next update. Have a good sleep there in 9ja, it's morning here.

see y its not good to be rude on a faceless platform like nairaland. u never might know when oyinbo is engaging u grin
chukxie:

see y its not good to be rude on a faceless platform like nairaland. u never might know when oyinbo is engaging u
Re: Centenary Hall Ake: The Historic Hall Which Egbas Built For 100 Years(pic) by chukxie(m): 8:23am On Sep 26, 2016
OBALORLA:

see y its not good to be rude on a faceless platform like nairaland. u never might know when oyinbo is engaging u grin

see y its not good to be rude on a faceless platform like nairaland. u never might know when oyinbo is engaging u

You're right there! I no be oyibo oooo! I be proper 9ja guy wey just like the 'Ajala Travel' lifestyle.
Re: Centenary Hall Ake: The Historic Hall Which Egbas Built For 100 Years(pic) by usufi: 8:30am On Sep 26, 2016
This is artistic
Re: Centenary Hall Ake: The Historic Hall Which Egbas Built For 100 Years(pic) by Gracito(f): 8:34am On Sep 26, 2016
Ohhh, how I love history!!
Re: Centenary Hall Ake: The Historic Hall Which Egbas Built For 100 Years(pic) by Princelegacylemoha(m): 8:39am On Sep 26, 2016
This awesome, take a look at the ARCHITECTURE, solid and VINTAGE , well reinforced and structurally strong construction, with beautiful dentils and ROMAN Architecture !!

Re: Centenary Hall Ake: The Historic Hall Which Egbas Built For 100 Years(pic) by ekorian: 8:39am On Sep 26, 2016
@Op, what about Oba Oyebade Lipede...?

1 Like

Re: Centenary Hall Ake: The Historic Hall Which Egbas Built For 100 Years(pic) by aariwa(m): 8:40am On Sep 26, 2016
ok
Re: Centenary Hall Ake: The Historic Hall Which Egbas Built For 100 Years(pic) by OlujobaSamuel: 8:41am On Sep 26, 2016
kudos, but i get question for whoever can ans, was it initially planned to build it for 100yrs or the nigerian factor kicked in and they strived to complete it when the thing don use about 100yrs with no significant improvement on its contruction?

1 Like

Re: Centenary Hall Ake: The Historic Hall Which Egbas Built For 100 Years(pic) by Adeoba10(m): 8:41am On Sep 26, 2016
@OBALORLA... Nice one... You shld also have visited the first church in Nigeria, is just a stone throw from that centenary hall.
Re: Centenary Hall Ake: The Historic Hall Which Egbas Built For 100 Years(pic) by SmileXtraone: 8:41am On Sep 26, 2016
Which part of Nigeria has daylight at 3AM The time on the pic sha cheesy kiss
Re: Centenary Hall Ake: The Historic Hall Which Egbas Built For 100 Years(pic) by ATK4Joy(f): 8:43am On Sep 26, 2016
Obalorla uve done a great job! That is Abk for you! The first time I to this place I noticed all those Ancient buildings! Is a lovely place to be

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Centenary Hall Ake: The Historic Hall Which Egbas Built For 100 Years(pic) by KangaIye: 8:43am On Sep 26, 2016
grin grin grin
Re: Centenary Hall Ake: The Historic Hall Which Egbas Built For 100 Years(pic) by ephemm(m): 8:44am On Sep 26, 2016
You and your old man better go back and learn, the history of Abeokuta and his Kings were documented far beyond 1920.

The first Alake of Egbaland was Sagbua Okukenun who ruled between August 1854 to 1862. Prior to the appointment of Oba Sagbua Okukenum in 1846, Shomoye was installed as a Regent for one year, between 1845 and 1846 and following the demise of Oba Sagbua Okukenum in 1862, Shomoye return to the throne of the Alake of Egbaland as a regent where he spent four years between 1862 and 1868 before the appointment of Oba Ademola I in November 1869. He ruled for eight years until his demise on 20 December 1877. In January 1879, Oba Oyeekan was appointed has the Alake of Egbaland. He spent three years on the throne as a result of his death in September 1881. Thereafter, Oluwajin was appointed in February 1885 and ruled in this capacity for four years (died 1889). After two years of the vacant seat of Alake of Egbaland, Oba Oshokalu was appointed in September 1891. He ruled in this capacity for seven years until his demise on 11 June 1898. In the same year, Oba Gbadebo I became the Alake of Egbaland. He spent twelve years on the throne until his death on 28 May 1920.He died at the age of 66 years (1854–1920). Following the demise of Oba Gbadebo I in 1920, Ladapo Samuel Ademola II became the new ruler. He ruled for 42 years but was on exile for two years, (following protest by Egba women led my Mrs Funmilayo Ransome Kuti) between 1948 and December 1950. After his death in 1962, the throne was vacant for one year and on September 1963 Oba Adesina Samuel Gbadebo II was appointed as the new Alake of Egbaland. After the death of Adesina Samuel Gbadebo on 26 October 1971, Samuel Oyebade Lipede became the king. He ruled in this capacity for 33 years until his demise on February 2005, which led to the appointment of Adedotun Aremu Gbadebo III

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Centenary Hall Ake: The Historic Hall Which Egbas Built For 100 Years(pic) by aariwa(m): 8:45am On Sep 26, 2016
I hope they included the names of the Ransome kuti family members in the roll call of Egba heroes,because they used activism to fight oppressive governments for the advancement of humanity;particularly Fela and Madam Ransome Kuti.Obasanjo is very controversial and so i dont know whether his name should be there or not
Re: Centenary Hall Ake: The Historic Hall Which Egbas Built For 100 Years(pic) by Funjosh(m): 8:45am On Sep 26, 2016
Awa lomo olumo

and the most funny part of it is that i only pass through that place embarassed but never take time to visit

2 Likes

Re: Centenary Hall Ake: The Historic Hall Which Egbas Built For 100 Years(pic) by ephemm(m): 8:55am On Sep 26, 2016
[quote ]Chief Mrs Esther Bisoye Tejuosho (OON)

Became the Iyalode of Egba land in 1982

Was born in 1916 and died in 1996.

Her son who is the present Oba of Sapon (leadership runs in the blood!) is Oba Adedapo Adewale Tejuosho He ascended the throne on the 20th of may 1989 and is currently still ruling. [quote ]

What's the meaning of this nonsense self?

Who brought this sh1t to FP?

what's Oba of Sapon?

The title is Osile of Oke Ona Egba.

There are 5 prominent Obas in Abeokuta and each have their subjects in towns and villages surrounding Abeokuta (Obafe, Kobape, Owode, Odeda, Osiele, Ifo, Itori, Ewekoro etc)

The titles of the 5 Obas are:
Alake of Egbaland
Osile of Oke Ona Egba
Agura of Gbagura
Olowu of Owu
and
Olubara of Ibara

9 Likes

Re: Centenary Hall Ake: The Historic Hall Which Egbas Built For 100 Years(pic) by godwinkessi: 8:56am On Sep 26, 2016
Bb

1 Like

Re: Centenary Hall Ake: The Historic Hall Which Egbas Built For 100 Years(pic) by Pavore9: 9:02am On Sep 26, 2016
Love visiting such historical places.
Re: Centenary Hall Ake: The Historic Hall Which Egbas Built For 100 Years(pic) by miqos02(m): 9:03am On Sep 26, 2016
ok
Re: Centenary Hall Ake: The Historic Hall Which Egbas Built For 100 Years(pic) by Psyrus(m): 9:04am On Sep 26, 2016
03:00am you be winch?

1 Like

Re: Centenary Hall Ake: The Historic Hall Which Egbas Built For 100 Years(pic) by Funjosh(m): 9:09am On Sep 26, 2016
[quote author=ephemm post=49679054][/quote]Thanks for modifying you comment cheesy

1 Like

Re: Centenary Hall Ake: The Historic Hall Which Egbas Built For 100 Years(pic) by slimfresh(m): 9:10am On Sep 26, 2016
Chipappi will come here now and say this looks like a pen house

(1) (2) (Reply)

Terrible Accident In Delta,People Burnt 2 Death Beyond Recognition(Graphic Pics) / Road Safety Officer Killed In Ondo By Reckless Driver (Photo) / Nigerians To Pay N107,500 For IELTS From September 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.