Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,180 members, 7,818,563 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:51 PM

Hypertension Treatments: Lifestyle Changes And Medications - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Hypertension Treatments: Lifestyle Changes And Medications (776 Views)

8 Lifestyle Habits You Should Change To Make You Fall Asleep Faster / Mouth Odour In Nigeria,[ Causes & Treatments] / •get Rid Of Your Fibroids Naturally,hypertension And Kidney Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hypertension Treatments: Lifestyle Changes And Medications by LordIbro(m): 4:08pm On Sep 25, 2016
Hypertension, or high blood pressure, is dangerous because it can lead to strokes, heart attacks, heart failure, or kidney disease. The goal of hypertension treatment is to lower high blood pressure and protect important organs, like the brain, heart, and kidneys from damage. Treatment for hypertension has been associated with reductions in stroke (reduced an average of 35%-40%), heart attack (20%-25%), and heart failure (more than 50%), according to research.

High blood pressure is now classified as a blood pressure greater than 140/90 in people under age 60, and greater than 150/90 in people over age 60.

To prevent high blood pressure, everyone should be encouraged to make lifestyle modifications, such as eating a healthier diet, quitting smoking, and getting more exercise. Treatment with medication is recommended to lower blood pressure to less than 140/90 in people younger than age 60, and less than 150/90 in people older than age 60.

Treating high blood pressure involves lifestyle changes and possibly drug therapy.

Lifestyle Changes to Treat High Blood Pressure
A critical step in preventing and treating high blood pressure is a healthy lifestyle. You can lower your blood pressure with the following lifestyle changes:

Losing weight if you are overweight or obese
Quitting smoking
Eating a healthy diet, including the DASH diet (eating more fruits, vegetables, and low fat dairy products, less saturated and total fat)
Reducing the amount of sodium in your diet to less than 1,500 milligrams a day if you have high blood pressure; healthy adults should try to limit their sodium intake to no more 2,300 milligrams a day (about 1 teaspoon of salt).
Getting regular aerobic exercise (such as brisk walking at least 30 minutes a day, several days a week)
Limiting alcohol to two drinks a day for men, one drink a day for women
In addition to lowering blood pressure, these measures enhance the effectiveness of high blood pressure drugs.

Drugs to Treat High Blood Pressure
There are several types of drugs used to treat high blood pressure, including:

Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors
Angiotensin II receptor blockers (ARBs)
Diuretics
Beta-blockers
Calcium channel blockers
Alpha-blockers
Alpha-agonists
Renin inhibitors
Combination medications
Diuretics are often recommended as the first line of therapy for most people who have high blood pressure.

However, your doctor may start a medicine other than a diuretic as the first line of therapy if you have certain medical problems. For example, ACE inhibitors are often a choice for a people with diabetes. If one drug doesn’t work or is disagreeable, additional medications or alternative medications may be recommended.

If your blood pressure is more than 20/10 points higher than it should be, your doctor may consider starting you on two drugs or placing you on a combination drug.

http://so-dawn.com/2016/09/25/hypertension-treatments-lifestyle-changes-and-medications/
Re: Hypertension Treatments: Lifestyle Changes And Medications by DevilsVEGETABLE(m): 4:10pm On Sep 25, 2016
Bro nice job but her are some few tips to
To avoid... HIGHBLOOD P

1. Think less of APC and their scam ( its Impossible anyways)
2. Stay away form badwomen or girls
Proverbs 5:8-10 (no matter how you do it)
3. Exercise more often and sleep more.
4. Make sure money doesn't knock u out
Re: Hypertension Treatments: Lifestyle Changes And Medications by Nobody: 8:26pm On Sep 25, 2016
I realised my bp was above 150,when i went for check up,had to do lipid profile,my cholesterol was very high
I get to do the test every three months..and I've been taking caduet.and vasoprin.. Was told it works both ways,for bp and cholesterol..
.but despite my change in diet,exercise n all,there isn't much improvenent
As per my bp,it fluctuates it reduces,then increases..
embarassed cry

(1) (Reply)

4 Delicious Strawberry Smoothie Recipes / Natural Remedies For Rheumatism And Arthritis / Foods That Threatens Your Libido. No 8 Will Shock You!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.