Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,071 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:04 AM

Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 (26118 Views)

Amosun Reconciles Awujale Of Ijebuland And Alake Of Egbaland / Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 / Ooni Of Ife Visits Alake Of Egbaland (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 by dtruseeker(m): 8:12am On Sep 26, 2016
This actually happened on my birthday 12th may cheesy
Re: Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 by Nobody: 8:15am On Sep 26, 2016
Since the picture was taken before 1960 it's obvious he had no choice but to attend.
The British had to keep constant check on their colonies and one good way to ensure this was inviting appointed indigenous rulers in a bid to show their subservience to Her Majesty. I'm very sure from the same source one can get pictures of Nigerian rulers representing majority of ethnic groups which produced resources of economic importance to the British.
This is not something to celebrate. If anything, to me, it's a shame from our colonial past.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 by SonofDevil: 8:18am On Sep 26, 2016
charix:
Since the picture was taken before 1960 it's obvious he had no choice but to attend.
The British had to keep constant check on their colonies and one good way to ensure this was inviting appointed indigenous rulers in a bid to show their subservience to Her Majesty. I'm very sure from the same source one can get pictures of Nigerian rulers representing majority of ethnic groups which produced resources of economic importance to the British.
This is not something to celebrate. If anything, to me, it's a shame from our colonial past.
Get out!!!

4 Likes

Re: Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 by ATERI(m): 8:19am On Sep 26, 2016
Opistorincos:
That was when obas are seen as important

Obas were seen as important in 1937 by whom? By the under-privileged children of Yorubaland they were selling to the white man as slaves?

1 Like

Re: Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 by seguno2: 8:19am On Sep 26, 2016
acenazt:
See class

What class can a slave have in front of his masterS
You can imagine the laughter the ORDINARY and not-so-ordinary English folks will have about the African King and his primitive people.

1 Like

Re: Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 by Nobody: 8:20am On Sep 26, 2016
Another dog barking d moon. Pls who get d pic where dog dey use telescope pls help me add it
Chipappii:

No be only class, na school. See those English men on suit, now thats class. Nor be to dress like masquerade. Even the swiss guard make sense pass am.

2 Likes

Re: Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 by DozieInc(m): 8:20am On Sep 26, 2016
Royalty...cool pics.
Re: Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 by SIRTee15: 8:21am On Sep 26, 2016
Chipappii:

No be only class, na school. See those English men on suit, now thats class. Nor be to dress like masquerade. Even the swiss guard make sense pass am.

how do u expect a Yoruba royalty to dress.........
wake up Bro......
slavery n colonialism left our shores decades ago.....
emancipate urself from mental colonialism disturbing ur spirit........

5 Likes

Re: Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 by GogetterMD(m): 8:22am On Sep 26, 2016
ArmedRobber:
Alake of Abeokuta (Egbaland) Oba Ladapo Ademola II
arriving at the coronation of King George VI of England London on 12 of May 1937
How dem take travel? By sea or flight? Just asking ni o
Re: Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 by Chipappii(m): 8:23am On Sep 26, 2016
nerodenero:
It's "class" that a Whiteman is dressed in suit and "masquerade" you called the way the black man is dressed!!! You are not thinking straight.

From the picture, the Blackman was respected, hence the invite and fast-forward to 2016, Chipappii's comment shows he is still a slave to the white.
Yes sir. Am a slave of truth. Drop the prejudice and swear with ur life that the folks on suit don't actually look dapper

1 Like

Re: Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 by soulhighman(m): 8:24am On Sep 26, 2016
Seun4FastLoans:
Egba re wa
Baawa
Re: Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 by Chipappii(m): 8:25am On Sep 26, 2016
SIRTee15:

how do u expect a Yoruba royalty to dress.........
[s]wake up Bro......
slavery n colonialism left our shores decades ago.....
emancipate urself from mental colonialism disturbing ur spirit........[/s]
U actually made sense untill there. Slavery or not. The white folks still looked better.
Re: Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 by ArabMopol(m): 8:26am On Sep 26, 2016
after all this afonjas earlier exposure to western lifestyle due to access to sea, it took 5% just a decade to topple them...
Re: Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 by kunleham(m): 8:27am On Sep 26, 2016
coolebux:
They invite am?
Ask google!!!
Re: Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 by Chipappii(m): 8:27am On Sep 26, 2016
profolaolu:
Another dog barking d moon . Pls who get d pic where dog dey use telescope pls help me add it
Oya kill yaself. That would be after you have learnt how to express yaself.
Re: Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 by ATERI(m): 8:28am On Sep 26, 2016
Chipappii:

Yea, putting on tick jackets and suits in the baking sun of Africa would only mean class to you!

1 Like

Re: Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 by verygudbadguy(m): 8:28am On Sep 26, 2016
Chipappii:

Inferiority complex. Una no dey ever appreciate una own thing. Always falling for anything white even if its fake. angry

1 Like

Re: Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 by Chipappii(m): 8:31am On Sep 26, 2016
verygudbadguy:

Inferiority complex. Una no dey ever appreciate una own thing. Always falling for anything white even if its fake. angry
Which kind inferiority. Oga appreciating boarding a taxi over trekking now makes you inferior because the whites introduced it? Drop the prejudice abeggi
Re: Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 by jidxin(m): 8:31am On Sep 26, 2016
Chipappii:

wow is dz how foooolsh u are? u don't value ur cultural heritage ... u re so lost nd insensitive
Re: Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 by rudekidd: 8:32am On Sep 26, 2016
ATERI:

Obas were seen as important in 1937 by whom? By the under-privileged children of Yorubaland they were selling to the white man as slaves?

By 1937, slave trade had ended.. grin grin grin slave trade ended in 1808 grin grin grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 by rudekidd: 8:33am On Sep 26, 2016
seguno2:

What class can a slave have in front of his masterS
You can imagine the laughter the ORDINARY and not-so-ordinary English folks will have about the African King and his primitive people.

Yorubas were never primitive people grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 by ArabMopol(m): 8:34am On Sep 26, 2016
GogetterMD:

How dem take travel? By sea or flight? Just asking ni o
Alake of Abeokuta (Egbaland)
Oba Ladapo Ademola II
merely invited to act as Royal entertainer to the colonial masters ... some sort of masquerade amusement to the Royal families and it numerous white guests

1 Like

Re: Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 by Chipappii(m): 8:35am On Sep 26, 2016
jidxin:
wow is dz how foooolsh u are? u don't value ur cultural heritage ... u re so lost nd insensitive

Re: Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 by jidxin(m): 8:35am On Sep 26, 2016
Chipappii:

Which kind inferiority. Oga appreciating boarding a taxi over trekking now makes you inferior because the whites introduced it? Drop the prejudice abeggi
no u lack sense of judgement nd ur argument nd dz illustration is so out of place....so u mean we should all be on suit I think ur ability to think is so myopic nd still under western colonisation u may not be aware of it cos bot ur consciousness nd subconsciousness is under subjugation

3 Likes

Re: Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 by slimfresh(m): 8:36am On Sep 26, 2016
Chipappii:

Judging by your approach I can see that you are ladened with inferiority complex. The suit you're talking about is part of their dressing culture, learn to appreciate and cherish what you have not gloating on other people's........it's people like you that helped foster slavery back then, you'll be given mirror for 100 able bodied men and gullible as I presumed you could have been you would have seen it as class just like you're seeing suit as class over the traditional attire.....YOUR SHALLOWNESS IS APPALLING. (no offence meant, I couldn't help but tell you the naked truth)

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 by Chipappii(m): 8:36am On Sep 26, 2016
ATERI:

Yea, putting on tick jackets and suits in the baking sun of Africa would only mean class to you!
Oga that thing na africa?
Re: Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 by Chipappii(m): 8:40am On Sep 26, 2016
jidxin:
no u lack sense of judgement nd ur argument nd dz illustration is so out of place....so u mean we should all be on suit I think ur ability to think is so myopic nd still under western colonisation u may not be aware of it cos bot ur consciousness nd subconsciousness is under subjugation
No sir, u lack comprehension ability.

Re: Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 by verygudbadguy(m): 8:40am On Sep 26, 2016
Chipappii:

Look at the picture very well and imagine the respect the king commanded. In 1937, Nigeria was far ahead of this white guys. But our inferiority complex made us to be where we are today.
Re: Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 by ATERI(m): 8:40am On Sep 26, 2016
rudekidd:

By 1937, slave trade had ended.. grin grin grin slave trade ended in 1808 grin grin grin

Yea, right; on paper! We continued to sell our people till after the end of the Second World War!
Re: Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 by Chipappii(m): 8:43am On Sep 26, 2016
slimfresh:

Judging by your approach I can see that you are ladened with inferiority complex. The suit you're talking about is part of their dressing culture, learn to appreciate and cherish what you have not gloating on other people's........it's people like you that helped foster slavery back then, you'll be given mirror for 100 able bodied men and gullible as I presumed you could have been you would have seen it as class just like you're seeing suit as class over the traditional attire.....YOUR SHALLOWNESS IS APPALLING. (no offence meant, I couldn't help but tell you the naked truth)
if ur mind was as musch myopic and u didn't lack comprehension ability, you would have noticed that i neva disputed his class or school or whatever.

Re: Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 by Chipappii(m): 8:45am On Sep 26, 2016
verygudbadguy:

Look at the picture very well and imagine the respect the king commanded. In 1937, Nigeria was far ahead of this white guys. But our inferiority complex made us to be where we are today.
Jisos. Oga did you say far ahead. 1937, when you were still under them Brits? Okay kontinu
Re: Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 by slimfresh(m): 8:55am On Sep 26, 2016
Chipappii:
if ur mind was as musch myopic and u didn't lack comprehension ability, you would have noticed that i neva disputed his class or school or whatever.

@the bolded sorry to disappoint you bro, my mind ain't myopic and before you question one's understanding you should have a checkup on yours? Just what point were you trying to make with the comment? Your contrasting yourself unless you intend to affirm your mind is myopic which I doubt.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

London Notting Hill Carnival (pictures) / Alaafin Of Oyo Dances With His Oloris On His 51st Coronation Anniversary (video) / Chanel Chin: Oluwo Of Iwo's Wife Beautiful In Adorable Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.