Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,980 members, 7,838,490 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 11:30 PM

How I Was Nearly Scammed In Lagos. - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How I Was Nearly Scammed In Lagos. (589 Views)

Man Commits Suicide After He Was Scammed Of 6 Months Visa By An Agent / Motorcyclists Robbers In Imo Nearly Burnt To Death (Photos) / 2 Motorcycle Thieves Caught In Abia, Tied & Nearly Burnt To Death By Angry Mob (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Was Nearly Scammed In Lagos. by dwilliams: 6:43am On Sep 26, 2016
I would like to share what transpired between me and some hoodlums yesterda.
My dads friend gave me a certain amount of dollar bills to change yesterday, being a Saturday and by virtue of some pressing engagements which I had to attend to in lagos, I had a lot to do yesterday, so after the function which I attended, I went to d bureau d change office at opebi and it was closed,checked some other nearby offices and it was also closed and this was just a little past 6 in the evening, I have heard so many tales about this criminals that do exchange currencies and I read one thread which opened to that effect earlier this year on Nl.
So I was so skeptical about doing it with those boys, but due to the fact that I was supposed to leave Lagos the next day I was short on options.
So I approached one of the guys , he agreed to exchange it for me at 420 to a dollar, I agreed,i felt no need to start arguing over ten naira(430), I decided to test the young man and his friend with a hundred dollar note
He gave me the equivalent which was supposed to be 42,000# but when I counted I counted 41 pieces of 1000 naira notes, so I felt perhaps since I was in a haste I counted it wrongly, so I decided to pocket the moni and gv dem the other ones to change for me, I did not let them know I had other dollar bills with me, the guy insisted that i should recount the funds again. I said there was no need, but he repeated it, so I obliged and recounted and it was 41000# instead of the supposedly 42000.
So he scolded his partner dat why couldn't he count properly, the guy said he was right,so he gave it to him, he recounted and affirmed dat it was 41000 instead of 42000,
Now here lies the trick, when he counted and said it was a thousand naira short, when he wanted to add the missing note to it,HE CAREFULLY REMOVED ABOUT 15 PIECES FROM THE 41000 WHILE COUNTING WITH HIS RIGHT HAND WHILE his friend complemented MY PHONE IN A BID TO DISTRACT ME FROM OBSERVING, having done that the friend gave him one thousand naira note to complete it, I never knew what transpired until he gave me the money back dat the missing note has been added to it.
When I held the moni, I knew something was amiss because d bulky feeling I felt initially was not there, as I decided to recount de said there was no need for that,and immediately I flared up threw the moni on d ground and gripped his shirt, told dem I was a confirm street boy from ekpoma, told dat right now one person must die here.
Ppl came around scolded the thieves and the gave me my funds,I took the next available bike and left in a haste before I would av mysef to blame.

This incident occured at the Mobil filling station very close to airport hotel at Ikeja.

Things to take into cognisance to avoid been scammed while changing currencies.
1) don't go alone,I was alone and that was why I was distracted
2) before leaving home write the number of the dollar bills u r to exchange or if possible take pics with it,else aboki
Or those hoodlums would tell u brought fake bills to change,they would simply take it in and expertly swap it with a fake currency and create a scene dat u brought fake notes to exchange.
3) always open ur eyes, after counting ur notes,avoid giving dem d notes back as de did to me,in some cases instead of removing one thousand naira notes,de would swap it with 500 or 100 naira notes and put it in the middle, I had d instinct dat it was not bulky any more and dat was y I knew.so if u av any cause to return d moni back to dem please recount don't say that the alleged error has been amended.
4) if possible tell dem to gv u normal old notes as d minted notes some times are fake currencies.
Above all keep an open mind,we or none of our relatives would fall a victim to dis cheap scams dis recession period, one love
Re: How I Was Nearly Scammed In Lagos. by Adeoba10(m): 6:56am On Sep 26, 2016
Engagement jollof rice dey sweet die...
Re: How I Was Nearly Scammed In Lagos. by tasceige(m): 7:00am On Sep 26, 2016
Wow... Thank God for street..
But boss,
Please can I have a note of the unchanged bills? Just one Biko... sad sad
Re: How I Was Nearly Scammed In Lagos. by UrennaNkoli(f): 7:04am On Sep 26, 2016
Once they give you any money, never return it back to them. They have other dubious plans and secondly, its safer to trade with those abokís or mallams. They'll hardly cheat you.
Re: How I Was Nearly Scammed In Lagos. by ObaKlaz: 7:06am On Sep 26, 2016
*EXTRA TIP: In case you fall into their hands and you are able to quickly smarten up before they deal their final combo blow on you, just throw the rest cash down, grab one of them by the jugular and tell them you're a VERIFIED EKPOMA STREET GUY!grin
Re: How I Was Nearly Scammed In Lagos. by dwilliams: 7:41am On Sep 26, 2016
tasceige:
Wow... Thank God for street..
But boss,
Please can I have a note of the unchanged bills? Just one Biko... sad sad

no vex I go help u keep am till dollar reach 600

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Student Jailed In The UK For Sexually Assaulting A Girl / Woman Masterminds Son’s Kidnap / 9 Year Old Girl Brutally Beaten By Her Father In Lagos (photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.