Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,706 members, 7,827,584 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:55 PM

Ladies, That Bra May Be Killing You - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Ladies, That Bra May Be Killing You (575 Views)

Nigerian Lady Finds This Inside Her Bra (Video) / Violet J: My Breasts Are Too Heavy, My Bra Size Not In Market, I Need Surgery" / Busty Lady's No Bra Day Photos Got Nigerians Talking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ladies, That Bra May Be Killing You by Azeemokoya: 4:45pm On Sep 26, 2016
In the last two decades, women everywhere have been persuaded to believe that wearing a bra can cause breast cancer following revelations which claimed there was a link, from the book ‘Dressed to Kill’ by Sydney Singer and Soma Grismaijer.

While the idea has been given a boost by various opinions, observers in the know seemed to have found comfort in the fact that none of the proponents is a medical practitioner or cancer researcher.

Such comfort is largely based on the premise that the authors neither subjected their book to critical review by medical experts neither was their study published in a respected journal, as is the case with works of science. In fact, scientists have strongly panned the book for not taking into account known risk factors for breast cancer, especially obesity, which increases women’s likelihood for wearing a bra for longer periods.

Nevertheless, the authors claim that underwired bras block circulation of lymphatic fluid, thus causing breasts to swell with toxins. The World Health Organization calls chemical toxins the primary cause of cancer. However, poisons accumulating in breast tissue are normally flushed by clear lymph fluid into large clusters of lymph nodes nestling in the armpits and upper chest.

It is unlikely, though, that lymph fluid would be trapped by an un

derwire, because it doesn’t flow in that direction and a properly fitting bra prevents breast ligaments from overstretching. Christine Haycock, a surgeon at the New Jersey College of Medicine says that inherited traits- not ligaments or breast size- are the reason some breasts give in to gravity. Bouncing bosoms help clear the lymphatics, she offered.

The narrative of Singer and Grismaijer linking bras and breast cancer was also based on their observation that just before a woman begins her period, oestrogen floods her system, causing her breasts to swell. Hence, if she continues wearing the same bra size, life-saving lymphatics will be even more tightly squished. According to them, bra-free women have just a one in 168 chance of being diagnosed with breast cancer. The same as men, who are obviously bra-free.

“Don’t sleep in your bra!” Singer pleads, maintaining that women who want to avoid breast cancer should wear a bra for the shortest period of time possible- certainly for less than 12 hours a day. He also submits that some 80% of bra-wearers who experience lumps, cysts and tenderness will see those symptoms vanish “within a month of getting rid of the bra.”

However, not every woman is ready to hang up her mammary gland support system. As one woman said, “My tits will sag all the way to my navel without a bra.”

While not prepared to shift grounds, the husband and wife team who are medical anthropologists, opined that there is some form of establishment censorship of the bra-breast cancer connection. According to them, like the cancer treatment business, the bra business is huge, making up a multiple of the $6 billion-a-year bra business in the US alone.

But Dr. Jennifer Gunter, an American obstetrician and gynaecologist, stated that the fear factor scares women and could cause those with a breast cancer diagnosis to blame themselves for wearing a bra. Her advice to women is that if you find your bra is painful, you should not panic that you have cancer, but head to the high street and get measured for a new bra.
http://www.jalupon.com/ladies-that-bra-may-be-killing-you/#more-3784

1 Like

Re: Ladies, That Bra May Be Killing You by Cutehector(m): 4:52pm On Sep 26, 2016
I think what causes excessive sagging of boobs is when nursing mothers tie their baby onto their back with wrapper which then stresses their breasts and weakens the tissues which results in sagged breasts over a long period of time
Re: Ladies, That Bra May Be Killing You by Nobody: 5:05pm On Sep 26, 2016
Cutehector:
I think what causes excessive sagging of boobs is when nursing mothers tie their baby onto their back with wrapper which then stresses their breasts and weakens the tissues which results in sagged breasts over a long period of time
I don't think so, there are some girls that have had saggy since 15....I think it's natural to have saggy boobs smiley
Re: Ladies, That Bra May Be Killing You by Cutehector(m): 5:33pm On Sep 26, 2016
ItsQuinn:
I don't think so, there are some girls that have had saggy since 15....I think it's natural to have saggy boobs smiley
grin Lol I just don't like it wen women carry their babies on d back by tying wrapper. I'll just never allow my wife do that...
Re: Ladies, That Bra May Be Killing You by Nobody: 5:49pm On Sep 26, 2016
Cutehector:
grin Lol I just don't like it wen women carry their babies on d back by tying wrapper. I'll just never allow my wife do that...
me neither, I will rather use "baby carrier" for the chest than to use wrapper....eww lipsrsealed
Re: Ladies, That Bra May Be Killing You by Cutehector(m): 5:54pm On Sep 26, 2016
ItsQuinn:
me neither, I will rather use "baby carrier" for the chest than to use wrapper....eww lipsrsealed
now these are the kind of gifts people ought to be buying for the couple wen they get married.

Baby Carrier is a very good gift... infact I will just check out the price on amazon

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Marijuana Can Cure Epilepsy – Studies / 9 Strange Things Your Body Does That You Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms / Lagos State Wants Queens College Shut Down Indefinitely

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.