Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,329 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:23 AM

Lessons In How Not To Implement Application Security - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Lessons In How Not To Implement Application Security (3952 Views)

I Need Volunteers To Implement A Codeigniter Based Platform For Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lessons In How Not To Implement Application Security by 2mNaira: 12:50am On Oct 02, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

You can disable passing session id's through the URL by turning it off in a .htaccess file or PHP ini file. This doesn't prevent the hijacking (made a mistake earlier) just makes it less vulnerable.
When use_trans_sid is enabled, PHP will pass the session ID
via the URL. This makes the application more vulnerable to
session hijacking attacks.
Another measure is to disable JavaScript access to cookies so a hacker cannot get access to the session id from a cookie using XSS.

To the best of my knowledge, session id are never sent via url by default unless you specifically request that it be sent via url.

If my memory serves me right, cookies get sent by url only when you do not allow creation of cookies on your computer.

Disabling javascript to prevent session hijacking by turning javacsript off is not a good idea because most applications need javascript and so it is not really a pragmatic solution. Besides, there are many other ways of preventing XSS without turning javascrpt off.

1 Like

Re: Lessons In How Not To Implement Application Security by 2mNaira: 12:58am On Oct 02, 2016
lekropasky:
thanks. I kinda like the option d, but does that mean C/C++ codes are free from being reverse engineered?.

Of course all codes can be reversed engineered. Its just that codes that are compile directly to machine language like c/c++ are more difficult to reverse engineer than those the compile to intemediate language like Java and C#.
Re: Lessons In How Not To Implement Application Security by Nobody: 7:01am On Oct 02, 2016
mnairaland:

To the best of my knowledge, session id are never sent via url by default unless you specifically request that it be sent via url.

If my memory serves me right, cookies get sent by url only when you do not allow creation of cookies on your computer.

Disabling javascript to prevent session hijacking by turning javacsript off is not a good idea because most applications need javascript and so it is not really a pragmatic solution. Besides, there are many other ways of preventing XSS without turning javascrpt off.

Next time, read through well.. disable JavaScript access to the cookies.
The session Id stuff is still worth mentioning, so no one turns it on in production without knowing the risk.
Re: Lessons In How Not To Implement Application Security by Nobody: 7:29am On Oct 02, 2016
mnairaland:
From what I have gathered here this is my opinion on how to prevent session hijack.

DanielTheGeek:

Another measure is to disable JavaScript access to cookies so a hacker cannot get access to the session id from a cookie using XSS and also force cookies to be sent over HTTPS.
You can even go to the extent of storing the IP with the cookie and when they change, re-auth but some people's ISP's reallocate IP's quickly so you may end up annoying legit users.
Re: Lessons In How Not To Implement Application Security by 2mNaira: 7:55am On Oct 02, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

Next time, read through well.. disable JavaScript access to the cookies.
The session Id stuff is still worth mentioning, so no one turns it on in production without knowing the risk.

OK. Sorry about that.
Re: Lessons In How Not To Implement Application Security by 2mNaira: 6:47am On Oct 05, 2016
@SeunThomas,I hope you have not abandoned this thread.
Re: Lessons In How Not To Implement Application Security by seunthomas: 7:10am On Oct 05, 2016
Will continue with the thread later in the week. Need to handle some work related stuff.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network / Which Programming Language Is Used In Programming Sim Cards? / Managed Extensions for C++.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.