Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,277 members, 7,957,704 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 05:52 PM

You Can Be Free From Sin - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / You Can Be Free From Sin (372 Views)

3 Reasons Why I Don't Preach On Repentance ( "Turn From Sin" ) - Paul Ellis / For Christians: How To Be Free From Masturbation, Other Addictions / How A Christian Can Be Free From Condemnation After Committing Sexual Sins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

You Can Be Free From Sin by Nobody: 3:45pm On Sep 28, 2016
It is truth that makes free (Jn. 8:32) and we have the Spirit of Truth in us today in the Person of the Holy Spirit (Jn. 14:16-17). Lets ask Him to reveal this truth in us today so we are convinced like Paul in 2Cor. 5:14 (NIV). You may have already noticed that you can't get through this without a bible so go ahead and grab one!

The first thing is to consider yourself dead to sin as Rom. 6:11 puts it. The truth is that we are indeed dead to sin and this truth can be seen all over Scriptures - Rom. 6:2, 1Pet. 2:24
Rom. 6:1-7 shows us clearly how we died to sin and that is through baptism. You are free from sin because by associating yourself in like manner with Christ's death through baptism, YOU also died . Yes, I said it right, YOU DIED!!! (2Cor. 5:14, 5:17, Col. 3:1-3). You are dead to the whole law (Rom. 7:6)

Please note, when I say you are free from sin, what I mean is that the thing ( your old man) that produces sin in you is done away with in Christ (Rom. 6:6). He was the one who motioned us to sin (Rom. 7:5) and then it wasn't our will as long as he lived in us.
Also, note that unbelievers are not sinners because they sin but rather because they have that sin nature (their old man) in them. However, they that are in Christ have put off the old man even with his deeds (Col. 3:9), it is no longer in you to sin.

But now that we are free from sin, what next? Gal. 5:1 adjures us to stand fast in the liberty wherewith Christ has made us free. It means we should take hold of the liberty Christ has given us lest we lose that freedom. Therefore, we can be free but don't know we are free and so in our minds, we think we are bound and it becomes so for us (Prov. 23:7). Sadly, this is the state of many Christians who are still struggling with sin nut thank God, not anymore!!!

So now, how can we exercise this freedom to begin to live in the reality of the fact that we are free from sin? It is simple, lets take this instance.
Say, for example, there's a man whom you've been a slave to all your life and have been obedient to him all the while. Then, one day, someone tells you something, that you are not this man's slave but rather, the man is at your command. You doubt at first then, this person shows you a book that documents when and how you were made free from this man and the best part is that AN EYEWITNESS confirms it that what this person is telling you is the truth. It shows how a man came on your behalf and defeated your wicked slave master on your behalf and in the end, paid the price for your ransom (for every slave has a price). And not just that, this man's father also adopted you into his family as his own child. Also, in reality, this family (into which you've now been adopted), is master over all others.
So now, after you've seen this truth, what do you do when this your wicked slave master requires a task from you? Do you beg him or struggle with him? No!! You tell him you've found out the truth he never wanted you to find out, how you're the son of the master of all masters and immediately, he'll let you go because he knows that contending with you is contending with your father. And since your father has already paid the price for your freedom and also defeated him in his tricks and shamed him openly, he has no choice but to let you go.

This is true, even in Christ Jesus (Col. 2:11-15). You were slaves, your wicked slave master was satan, the man who paid the price for your ransom is Jesus (Rom. 4:25, 6:23), the person who adopted you is God (Eph. 1:5), the person who told you is me and the eyewitness of course is the Holy Spirit (Eph. 9:14).

By accepting Christ as your Lord and Saviour, something dies in you, that old man who produces sin in you. But if you are not aware of it, you will think you are still the same person. Not only does something die in you, Someone else comes alive in you, the Holy Spirit, your eyewitness. And since His nature is contrary to your old man (Gal. 5:17), He prompts you to live in righteousness. But also, if you are not aware and conscious of Him, you cannot obey and follow His promptings (Gal. 5: 16, Rom. 8:4).

But now you know the truth, so the next time sin comes knocking at your door saying: come on lets fornicate, lie or steal, you don't need to struggle anymore in your mind whether or not to obey, infact, you don't even need to fight, you just need to hold your peace for Christ has fought and won for you. You just tell him this:

How can I who died to sin live any longer in it?? (Rom. 6:1-2)
I am born of God, I cannot sin for God's seed (the Holy Spirit) remains in me (1Jn. 3:9)
You just speak as you are led of the Spirit. When temptation comes, just look to Him, it is He Who'll deliver you (Gal. 5:16).

Believe me, when you thus speak, inspired by the Holy Spirit, it is FINISHED. The desire immediately vanishes. He may go away to come at another opportune time but as long as you keep looking to the Holy Spirit and speaking as inspired by Him, you'll remain victorious.

Halleluiah!!! You can be free from sin.
For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending His Own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit - Rom. 8: 3-4

Finally, I must say this, you are not just dead to sin, you are alive to God (Rom. 6:11). This means you can now obey Christ for when you were slaves to sin, you were free from the control of righteousness (Rom. 6:20). Therefore, now, being made free from sin, you became slaves to righteousness (Rom. 6:18). It is now in you to do right. The desire will just well up so strongly in you. This his the Holy Spirit motions you to bring forth fruits of love, joy, gentleness, longsuffering and so on (Gal. 5:22-24).
So I say, walk in the Spirit and you shall not fulfil the lust and desires of the flesh (Gal. 5:16)

Shalom!!!

cc
barnabas91
analice107

Sorry its coming late.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Know Your Works 2 / Is This What Really Happened? / OPEN HEAVEN Devotional(fri. 11/11/2016)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.