Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,183 members, 7,818,590 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:23 PM

What Do You Think About The Sweeping Of The Village Arena In Some Parts Of Igbol - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Do You Think About The Sweeping Of The Village Arena In Some Parts Of Igbol (837 Views)

Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) / Welcome To The Village Where They Drink The Same Water With Goats (PHOTO) / Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do You Think About The Sweeping Of The Village Arena In Some Parts Of Igbol by lightwalk(m): 6:40am On Oct 15, 2009
In the Nsukka cultural zone of Enugu State, many Chrisitians are barred from participating in the sweeping of village arena for the reason that there are “idol” shrines in the village arena. What has emerged as a compromise is that the Christian Churches allow their members to sweep only areas in the village arena that are not close to “idol shrines”. Whereas this is acceptable to Christians, the adherent of indigenous cultre do not buy into this compromise. For them, this compromise has not resolved the issue of the status of “idol” shrines.

First I don't even know whether there are idols in Igboland.
Second: One cannot runaway from his/her motherland (if there are idols, then they should be destroyed)
What is your opinon about this?
Re: What Do You Think About The Sweeping Of The Village Arena In Some Parts Of Igbol by Nobody: 7:34am On Oct 15, 2009
people can sweep wherever they want,but this idiotic notion of idols is rubbish.

There is no such thing existing
Re: What Do You Think About The Sweeping Of The Village Arena In Some Parts Of Igbol by lightwalk(m): 1:02pm On Oct 15, 2009
^^Maybe to you, but at least you no how serious the situation is undecided
Re: What Do You Think About The Sweeping Of The Village Arena In Some Parts Of Igbol by sayso: 1:03pm On Oct 15, 2009
that is our culture.
Re: What Do You Think About The Sweeping Of The Village Arena In Some Parts Of Igbol by udezue(m): 6:55pm On Oct 15, 2009
Leave the idols alone. They are part of our culture and history.
Re: What Do You Think About The Sweeping Of The Village Arena In Some Parts Of Igbol by AndreUweh(m): 7:10pm On Oct 15, 2009
Sweeping of the village arena is an aspect of Igbo culture that brings cleanliness to the community. Second, it is a way of bringing community members together.
It is morally wrong for our roads to grow bushy, unkept and unclean because of christianity. When the Buhari/Idiagbon regine introduced the monthly clean-up exercises, everyone participated in that programme irrespective of faith. My fellow xtians, cleanliness is next to Godliness.
Re: What Do You Think About The Sweeping Of The Village Arena In Some Parts Of Igbol by lightwalk(m): 9:34pm On Oct 15, 2009
Thanks Andre. I'm really grateful you said the whole thing
Must we continue to be slaves of religion. Did God give us brains so that we take orders only and never get to use it??
I really don't think so undecided

(1) (Reply)

Late Emir Of Kano's Son, Sani Bayero And Wife Welcomes A Baby Girl - Photos / “How Igbos Make Money” / Have You Seen When A Tree Is Cut And It Starts Shedding Blood Like Humans? I Saw

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.