Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,094 members, 7,811,066 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:07 PM

Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) (51909 Views)

Half-Unclad Women In Birnin Amina, Niger State, Can't Afford Clothes (Pics) / Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) / Badirat Olaitan-adeyemi Donates To School For The Handicap In Oyo (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by Ishilove: 1:18pm On May 06, 2015
[img]http://3.bp..com/-D6rFRKBuEk4/VUn_HL0XWCI/AAAAAAAAF_o/9bSzomNXooM/s1600/yy.jpg[/img]

This epic photo was taken in 1952 at Bomadi Delta province.
http://www.lailasblog.com/2015/05/not-quite-long-ago-pupils-went-to.html

Seriously?? According to oral history, western style clothes only came into the present day Delta state as recently as the 1930s, but even at that it is surprising that two decades after, kids went to school butt naked. In a bid for the European imperialists to sell their manufactured products, foreign textile materials and sewing machines were imported into the country, and the presence of these products made it possible for people in Delta, Ukwuaniland for example, to take up tailoring as an occupation. Before then, the Onicha-Ukwuani people were weavers of the local cloth called 'nchichi or 'ukor ogbolu,' a kind of cover cloth. This cloth is small in size, made of cotton and tied around the body. This was their mode of dressing before the influx of western style fashion which stifled the local industry.

At the risk of anachronism (judging past events using contemporary standards), I am seriously wondering why these children were not covered with nchichi before being shipped off to school. I can see one little boy at the extreme right who is the only one not in his birthday suit.

All so note that majority of the kids in the photo are male, unlike now when the opposite is the case. How times have truly changed.

21 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by justi4jesu(f): 1:21pm On May 06, 2015
grin grin grin grin grin grin This is so hilarious, see different sizes of lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

7 Likes

Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by Nobody: 1:21pm On May 06, 2015
Chai see romancelanders oh grin

Wow ppl really went to school like that.. I guess in those days it wasnt seen as nothing now our minds are corrupt so all innocence is gone..

With pedos and all sorts one cant send kids to school like dis

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by gudluckgreat(m): 1:33pm On May 06, 2015
Lala247:
Chai see romancelanders oh grin

Wow ppl really went to school like that.. I guess in those days it wasnt seen as nothing now our minds are corrupt so all innocence is gone..

With pedos and all sorts one cant send kids to school like dis

Even when your dp dey show your front.
Your back is imaginable.
U carry back sister grin grin

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by Nobody: 1:34pm On May 06, 2015
gudluckgreat:

Even when your dd dey show your front.
Your back is imaginable.
U carry back sister grin grin

Lol no worry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by leshluap(m): 1:34pm On May 06, 2015
is that one trying to kiss that guy?

2 Likes

Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by CountDracula(m): 1:37pm On May 06, 2015
leshluap:
is that one trying to kiss that guy?
loool. I think say na only me see d guy

2 Likes

Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by CountDracula(m): 1:39pm On May 06, 2015
Some nairalanders' grandfather is in dis pics o cool

18 Likes

Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by pTomz(m): 1:40pm On May 06, 2015
shocked na frog som bin dey chop?? c belle cheesy

1 Like

Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by Nobody: 1:41pm On May 06, 2015
shocked
Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by MrMcJay(m): 1:41pm On May 06, 2015
Lolz.
Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by Nobody: 1:41pm On May 06, 2015
really cwazy then i guess... hoow were they taught?

1 Like

Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by Atk01(f): 1:41pm On May 06, 2015
See stomachs.! shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by MrKIZITO(m): 1:41pm On May 06, 2015
Ok
Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by Yosifperfect(m): 1:41pm On May 06, 2015
Daddy and Mummy play go sweet die grin grin grin grin grin

8 Likes

Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by braintext(m): 1:41pm On May 06, 2015
[size=18pt]Most of them there are our parent,senators, lectures etc....

But why is it only boys? angry [/size]

3 Likes

Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by Nobody: 1:42pm On May 06, 2015
. grin
Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by Nobody: 1:42pm On May 06, 2015
try dat with me and d females will go home with nine months homework

1 Like

Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by pocohantas(f): 1:42pm On May 06, 2015
Their stomachs!!!

What were they feeding them? shocked

1 Like

Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by Tenim47(m): 1:42pm On May 06, 2015
I remember wen i do go widout sandals

2 Likes

Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by UnknownT: 1:42pm On May 06, 2015
Pesin mess for back, so the ones wey dey front look back to see who mess

1 Like

Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by menesheh(m): 1:42pm On May 06, 2015
They are our present PROFFESORS and academicians of today (i mean the older ones).

Older people alway say that children of nowadays dont read, but i always doubt that postulation because, children of today are more smarter than that of the yester years with the pretty much enormous knowledge they are predispose to.

2 Likes

@Ishilove...there are females...4th nd 7th from the left expect they are castrated males...
Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by slinkman(m): 1:42pm On May 06, 2015
try am now, na belle go follow oo
grin smiley smiley smiley grin

This is so funny. But they are just kids. Before then adults in some places also walked around unclad.

It just strikes me as ironic any time Nigerians condemn women for indescent dressing considering the fact that just years ago people walked around unclad.

Its funny that the Europeans who brought clothes to us now dress indescently but Nigerians who just discovered fabrics not too long ago are quick to condemn indescent dressing. Classic case of our always trying to be more catholic than the pope.

3 Likes

Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by gabriel212: 1:42pm On May 06, 2015
I AM A YORUBA BUT THIS IS INSULTING TO OTHERS TRIBE AND IT IS NOT BEFITTING FOR FRONT PAGE
Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by jnrbayano(m): 1:42pm On May 06, 2015
Education was easier then, at least lectures administered sunk in well through many exposed avenues..

smiley

2 Likes

Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by agarawu23(m): 1:43pm On May 06, 2015
lol

thank God for "civilization"
Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by bosschinalu(m): 1:43pm On May 06, 2015
The future matters more than the past..Let bygones Bε̲̣̣̣̥ bygones please...

1 Like

Re: Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) by Minet16(m): 1:43pm On May 06, 2015
hmmm more like *missing *chibok* delta boys found

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Exclamation In Various Ngerian Tribes/dialect / Low Turnout As Oluwo Of Iwo Marries Kano Princess / Oba Rilwan Akiolu's Palace On Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.