Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,702 members, 7,809,667 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:48 PM

Where Are The Great Microbiologist And Their Jobs: Advice,ideas And Experience - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Where Are The Great Microbiologist And Their Jobs: Advice,ideas And Experience (23169 Views)

Nine Things Nigerian Bankers Hate About Their Jobs / Microbiologist And Their Laboratories / Is There Any Hope For Microbiologist In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Are The Great Microbiologist And Their Jobs: Advice,ideas And Experience by chimaobinelson(m): 11:33am On Oct 06, 2016
IM A REKNOWN multidrug resistant mycobacterium
MICROBIOLOGIST
MICHAEL OKPARA UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE UMUDIKE....ABIA STATE
AWAITING SERVICE ...NYSC BATCH B
lucky us,we have ample of job opportunities up there.rangin from the health sector to the industrial and petrol chemical sector...not to talk of now d world is delving into BioFuel u know grin
my dear our future brightness dey enter eye!!!

2 Likes

Re: Where Are The Great Microbiologist And Their Jobs: Advice,ideas And Experience by Shammak(m): 11:33am On Oct 06, 2016
pseudomonas:

we do training and research. the internship here isn't paid at all and mostly for undergraduates
Research? Cool
Tell me more about the research.. I am interested
Re: Where Are The Great Microbiologist And Their Jobs: Advice,ideas And Experience by Nobody: 11:38am On Oct 06, 2016
snowangel4
microbiology
graduate
well, I don't like that course one bit but it is not a waste sha. nursing is the best
Re: Where Are The Great Microbiologist And Their Jobs: Advice,ideas And Experience by Shammak(m): 11:38am On Oct 06, 2016
Disneylady:

Yea, that's why I've become a cosmetologist, it's a different field!
Cosmetologist? Wow!
Pharmaceutical microbiology can be applied or am I the only one thinking about this??
Re: Where Are The Great Microbiologist And Their Jobs: Advice,ideas And Experience by Shammak(m): 11:40am On Oct 06, 2016
anonimi:

You CANNOT show the relevance of her four years (or more) WASTED money, efforts, talents etc on campus to her make-up/photography work.
If you can, start and state the relevance here.
Otherwise it is obvious you were bluffing about something you know NOTHING about.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3043814_facebook20151105005801_jpeg1027baba4e35e791f3661e85d47d5487

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2855735_twooptionswallpaper10579600_jpeg618d634ba6258d93161d282181afdc68
Bruh, I am still very sure the knowledge will be needed one day. No knowledge is lost
Re: Where Are The Great Microbiologist And Their Jobs: Advice,ideas And Experience by anonimi: 11:43am On Oct 06, 2016
Shammak:

Bruh, I am still very sure the knowledge will be needed one day. No knowledge is lost

Is the knowledge free?
Four years or more of money, efforts, travel, study and you can't work with it.
If that is not waste, I wonder what is waste?

1 Like

Re: Where Are The Great Microbiologist And Their Jobs: Advice,ideas And Experience by Shammak(m): 11:45am On Oct 06, 2016
michelz:
I see a lot of people are disillusioned about Microbiology. Infact,many people don't know why they studied Microbiology or what it even means to be a microbiologist. Let me briefly open your eyes. As a microbiologist,you're first of all,trained to be independent. You must be able to carry out researches with little or no supervision. Even if you don't get a paid job,there are so many things you can do as a microbiologist. For examples,you can culture helpful microbes,package them and sell to organic farmers and many others who need them; you can develop new antibiotics and other chemicals; you can develop biosurfactants that are highly needed by many industries; you can develop biofuels and help the energy situation of the country; you can bioengineer new organisms to develop better products... The list is endless. Microbiology is one of the best science courses out there,and it cuts across both biological and physical science. For you to find your feet in microbiology as a career,you must first of all be good at it.
You have said it all
Bruh, are you into research??

2 Likes

Re: Where Are The Great Microbiologist And Their Jobs: Advice,ideas And Experience by dtruseeker(m): 11:49am On Oct 06, 2016
I have HND in microbiology/virology. I applied for membership in NISLT I got registered as a licensed associate member of the institute finally I got a job in a general hospital as a laboratory technologist.

NB: This is 2023 and NISLT have stopped registering Microbiology graduates except you graduated with SLT
Re: Where Are The Great Microbiologist And Their Jobs: Advice,ideas And Experience by hollaytan: 12:05pm On Oct 06, 2016
Microbiology
Unilorin nav
University of oldenburg
MSc in progress
Re: Where Are The Great Microbiologist And Their Jobs: Advice,ideas And Experience by toyinid78: 12:27pm On Oct 06, 2016
Disneylady:
Disneylady
Microbiologist
Federal University of Agriculture Abeokuta
Graduate
CEO "Crystal's Touch"

I swear, if I knew I would have studied Cosmetology
haha micro biology can give u money,stardom n a name dat wud last for ever,like seriously its d lecturers dat made d terrain stagnant. U can b very successful n travle wide with microbs
Re: Where Are The Great Microbiologist And Their Jobs: Advice,ideas And Experience by Skyfornia(m): 12:28pm On Oct 06, 2016
2dugged:
I am interested

Do you have any experience? If you have then call or chat me on WhatsApp...08037550246
Re: Where Are The Great Microbiologist And Their Jobs: Advice,ideas And Experience by Disneylady(f): 1:03pm On Oct 06, 2016
Shammak:

Cosmetologist? Wow!
Pharmaceutical microbiology can be applied or am I the only one thinking about this??
What you are talking about is pure microbiological procedures. Cosmetic products are pure chemicals and I don't think microorganisms are involved. Moreso,, how do I get an anti- infective products from Escherichia coli or Candida albicans to cure the diseases caused by them with counterfeit laboratory equipment, unstable power supply(ofcourse I need a microscope) etc and things I would need are not at my disposal. Not to talk of funds.... you think microbiology is a cheap course to practise

1 Like

Re: Where Are The Great Microbiologist And Their Jobs: Advice,ideas And Experience by Leward(m): 1:11pm On Oct 06, 2016
pseudomonas:

we do training and research. the internship here isn't paid at all and mostly for undergraduates
I will be doing my IT soon and it sounds like your institution is purely about microbiology, how can I apply for IT?
Re: Where Are The Great Microbiologist And Their Jobs: Advice,ideas And Experience by nelszx: 1:20pm On Oct 06, 2016
microb:
Fun of advice of the day for IT students and undergraduate... Can you carry out Coliform test practically? If no get to it

What test is that I've not for one day heard of such test.
Re: Where Are The Great Microbiologist And Their Jobs: Advice,ideas And Experience by nelszx: 1:24pm On Oct 06, 2016
dtruseeker:
I have HND in microbiology/virology. I applied for membership in NISLT I got registered as a licensed associate member of the institute finally I got a job in a general hospital as a laboratory technologist.

In the north I suppose?
Re: Where Are The Great Microbiologist And Their Jobs: Advice,ideas And Experience by yinkhar(f): 1:37pm On Oct 06, 2016
Yinka
Microbiologist
Awaiting service

......i love mcb (virology to be precise)
Re: Where Are The Great Microbiologist And Their Jobs: Advice,ideas And Experience by Pororo(f): 1:46pm On Oct 06, 2016
microb:
Let everyone start by introduction in dis format.. 1.user/nick name, 2.course of study 3.institution 4.Are u working? 4a. if yes, where and position 4b if no. 4ba Undergraduate or graduate 4bb level/stage/position cool

Pororo
Environmental microbiologist
University of ibadan (BSc), .........., ........
Yes, a university (post doctoral researcher)

There's hope for microbiologists. Its an important discipline with many facets in d world.
Its unfortunate that lab technicians are usurping our positions in hospitals. This is due to d fact dt they're paid less compared to those with d microbio degree itself.
In addition, medical micro is hot cake outside d country but as this thread is abt d way forward for microbiologists in 9ja, i will advice dt once u have a first degree in micro, find ur way outside d country or else, simply get an extra certificate in another field to survive.

But as i mentioned earlier, opportunities r plenty for microbiologists outside d country (especially in Manitoba, Canada ).

Cheers

1 Like

Re: Where Are The Great Microbiologist And Their Jobs: Advice,ideas And Experience by dtruseeker(m): 1:50pm On Oct 06, 2016
nelszx:

In the north I suppose?
Yes
Re: Where Are The Great Microbiologist And Their Jobs: Advice,ideas And Experience by nelszx: 2:19pm On Oct 06, 2016
dtruseeker:
Yes
Technologist as in technician or what do you mean by Technologist cos general hospital takes MLScts or is your Technologist same as a scientist or technician?
Re: Where Are The Great Microbiologist And Their Jobs: Advice,ideas And Experience by Julx(f): 2:21pm On Oct 06, 2016
dtruseeker:
Pls how did you go about it.. I'm interested in becoming a member
Re: Where Are The Great Microbiologist And Their Jobs: Advice,ideas And Experience by Julx(f): 2:25pm On Oct 06, 2016
dtruseeker:

Pls how did you go about the NISLT registration
Re: Where Are The Great Microbiologist And Their Jobs: Advice,ideas And Experience by Dynamicbae: 2:35pm On Oct 06, 2016
Mcb... Uniben..... Bsc(graduate)...
Re: Where Are The Great Microbiologist And Their Jobs: Advice,ideas And Experience by dtruseeker(m): 2:36pm On Oct 06, 2016
Julx:

Pls how did you go about the NISLT registration
visit here and click membership http://www.nislt.gov.ng/
Re: Where Are The Great Microbiologist And Their Jobs: Advice,ideas And Experience by dtruseeker(m): 2:38pm On Oct 06, 2016
nelszx:

Technologist as in technician or what do you mean by Technologist cos general hospital takes MLScts or is your Technologist same as a scientist or technician?
almost same as technician but not up to scientist
Re: Where Are The Great Microbiologist And Their Jobs: Advice,ideas And Experience by lordfalcao(m): 2:43pm On Oct 06, 2016
yinkhar:
Yinka Microbiologist Awaiting service

......i love mcb (virology to be precise)
you really love virology. ?
Re: Where Are The Great Microbiologist And Their Jobs: Advice,ideas And Experience by myrrtle(m): 3:04pm On Oct 06, 2016
A microbiologist is scientist who studies microscopic organisms and how they interact with their environment.

Microbiologists study the structure, function, chemistry, evolution and ecology of microbes to find ways of applying them to benefit mankind in areas such as agriculture, food production and medicine.

A microbiologist should be curious, analytical, methodical, patient, persistent and safety-conscious, and have the ability to handle and operate scientific equipment. They should also be able to communicate effectively and work well independently and in a team.

Famous microbiologist include Anton Van Leeuwenhoek ( early description of protozoa, fungi, and bacteria), Louis Pasteur (germ theory), Robert Koch (Koch’s postulate), Ferdinand J Cohn (classification of bacteria), Paul Ehrlich (cure for syphilis), Alexander Fleming (penicillin), and Francis Peyton Rous (first experimental prove of virus causing cancer).

Pursue a career in microbiology if you have aptitude for science and interest in microorganisms and their effects. You should be someone who enjoys doing laboratory experiments and working with a microscope.

What does a Microbiologist do?
Microbiologists may do some or all of the following:
perform research and experiments
study microorganisms to identify their features, function and uses
study microorganisms growth, development, and reproduction
study microorganisms and observe their reactions to chemical and other kinds of stimuli
study the distribution of microorganisms in nature
use scientific equipment such as microscopes, centrifuges and computers
develop useful applications of microorganisms to benefit mankind
write research articles and reports
teach at colleges and universities
source: http://careersome.com/biological-and-physical-sciences/microbiologist.html
Re: Where Are The Great Microbiologist And Their Jobs: Advice,ideas And Experience by slimfresh(m): 3:16pm On Oct 06, 2016
Slimfresh
Microbiologist
Olabisi Onabanjo University
Graduate......not yet working.
Re: Where Are The Great Microbiologist And Their Jobs: Advice,ideas And Experience by nelszx: 3:40pm On Oct 06, 2016
dtruseeker:
almost same as technician but not up to scientist

Lucky you it's really difficult to come by these days

1 Like

Re: Where Are The Great Microbiologist And Their Jobs: Advice,ideas And Experience by Alhajipablo(m): 4:04pm On Oct 06, 2016
pseudomonas:

I do research and training.Consulting as well. are you a microbiologist? i can't seem to find your contribution yet on this thread Alhajipablo
I am a microbiologist too about to finish my service(stream 2 palava)I am interested in your line of work; I want to be of help to others and also advance the course of microbiology in Nigeria.
Re: Where Are The Great Microbiologist And Their Jobs: Advice,ideas And Experience by Perotti: 4:10pm On Oct 06, 2016
B.Sc Microbiology (OAU, 2:1)
M.Sc Agric Microbiology and Biotechnology (Distinction)
Employment status: Unemployed.
Is Mcb worth the stress: Yes if outside Nigeria, but no if in Nigeria.
Regrets: Yes, I wish I applied to US schools for MSc
Re: Where Are The Great Microbiologist And Their Jobs: Advice,ideas And Experience by deltateam: 4:19pm On Oct 06, 2016
Coldfaya:
microbiology....... a wasted effort in Nigeria. not to make anyone feel bad but that's the fact. we thought we could fit in most places but truth is out there, we belong almost nowhere in particular.

my advice after school, it's either you get a life outside microbiology or go for MSc so you'd become a lecturer and train more microbiologist into this facade of a life.

I read microbiology tho and I know what I'm saying

When an elder speaks its takes another elder to understand where he's coming from.
I can relate with this insightful post. After having read Microbiology I discovered to my utmost dismay that there was a standing order that Microbiologist have no business in a laboratory in Nigeria. They will rather employ Science Laboratory Technologists. I can count the number of Microbiologists I know that are well paid. I met one of my colleagues and she is now working in a bank. 1 works in Guiness.1 got first class and was retained as Graduate Assistant Lecturer. Others business or just there still carrying CV up and down after over 6 years of completing service.

Microbiology is overated especially in Nigeria.Yet every year you see people filling Microbiolgy as a course as if their father built a company.

Unless you are exceptionally good in Microbiology and ready to get first class. Your chances in working in a Microbiogy field and being paid well is just 15%

Last Bullet: Most of these institutions offering Microbiology should be shut down. During my time we were over 150 students in our level. You will cry during practical seeing 15 students clustered around a petri dish. Most end up copying practical answers. I can count the number of Microscopes we had then.Not more than 3 highest. Some ended up not using Microscope except during 6 months IT.Those that learnt something did it during IT or like a friend and colleague who volunteered to help a lecturer who has his own laboratory where she learnt a lot even how to collect blood sample to test HIV etc I feel like crying remembering all.

2 Likes

Re: Where Are The Great Microbiologist And Their Jobs: Advice,ideas And Experience by deltateam: 5:09pm On Oct 06, 2016
Julx:
I studied Microbiology . Loved the course however I will say the lecturers and NSM are not playing their parts well to make sure that the graduate they send out each year are being relevant in that field. The medical lab science have taken over the medical microbiology aspects now the science lab tech have taken over the industry and institutional laboratory. So if you are having just BSc on microbiology the society is making it difficult for you to fit in, and nsm isn't doing much. I hv an MSc in microbiology, went for an interview in one of the federal universities to work in the microbiology laboratory I did well in the exams and interviews but was denied employment because I didn't have science lab technology certification or license. I been making moves to write the professional exam for slt but the body in Ibadan have been posting me saying the adimission forms are not yet out.

I can relate with this post too. Its so painful.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Pictures Of Women Doing Brick Laying / Workers Block Road In Kaduna With Refuse Dump Over Owed Salaries / Sacked 900 Dangote Workers Protest Non-Payment Of Benefits In Lagos (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.