Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,615 members, 7,823,678 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:12 PM

Yoga, Its Benefits And Where To Find Yoga Classes In Nigeria - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Yoga, Its Benefits And Where To Find Yoga Classes In Nigeria (1772 Views)

Plus-Sized Yoga Instructor Shows Off Her Flexibility In Semi Nude Photos / Yoga With Nigerian Dwarf Goats Craze Takes Off In The US. See Photos / Health Benefits And Side Effects Of Zobo Drink (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Yoga, Its Benefits And Where To Find Yoga Classes In Nigeria by TheNGmag(m): 12:21pm On Oct 01, 2016
Yoga has been around for more than 5000 years, with more than 100 different yoga forms. Yoga has been described as "the union of mind, body, and spirit," which addresses physical, mental, intellectual, emotional, and spiritual dimensions towards an overall harmonious state of being. The First Lady, Aisha Buhari described it as ‘’A gift from India to the world’’ encouraging Nigerians to practice in order to enhance their well being. With the hustle and bustle of Nigeria, the benefits of adopting yoga seem even more attractive, imagine that annoying Bus Driver shouting over your head and having the will power to block him out. Yes! Yoga does that and many more.

A few of the benefits of yoga are:

Improves your flexibility
Builds muscle strength
Perfects your posture
Betters your bone health
Increases blood flow
Drops your blood pressure
Makes you happier
Improves your balance
Helps you sleep deeper
Peace of mind
Form of meditation
Encourages self care and the list goes on

So this is where we come in. How can you practice Yoga at your own leisure, at your own pace?

Check out the Nigerian Yoga Foundation to see for yourself just how yoga is making its presence felt in Nigeria.

If you live in Lagos, have you heard of Chi’s Yoga Classes? Chi’s Yoga was born of the idea of procuring space for healing in Lagos, Nigeria. They offer single and small group morning sessions in the comfort of private homes, hotels and health centres for beginners as well as advanced yoga practitioners. Other places include Spa and Fitness at Four Points by Sheraton, Yoga with Stacy at Garden Pearls, 1 Vanni close off Universal road, Adeniyi Jones, Ikeja and Proflex Fitness Center at 20-24 Ozumba Mbadiwe Avenue, Victoria Island, Lagos.

In Abuja you have The Yoga Room and can join them on Facebook to participate in classes, even better call them on 08168054715. You also have the Cevenés Spa on Obafemi Awolowo Way (0809 971 3501), and for those closer to the Airport Oasis Stayfit Gym at Gwarimpa will do the trick (0803 600 0283).

If you find the centre’s too expensive and have mildly fast internet at home, learn online at Do Yoga With Me, all you have to do is register and follow for free yoga tutorials. Learn on YouTube with Yoga Vidya and yes, even Wikihow has Yoga training for beginners.

If your commitment is at an all time high, why not download the apps?

-Yoga Studio at just £2.99

-Daily Yoga- Lose Weight, Get Relief for free (but I warn with in-app purchases)

-5 Minute Yoga for those in a haste And

-Simply Yoga Free for the most passionate but broke of us.

Yoga has undergone much scientific study, with various psychological and physical theories suggested. In human research, yoga has been shown to reduce heart rate and blood pressure, increase breath holding time and lung capacity, improve muscle relaxation and body composition, cause weight loss, and increase overall physical endurance. Yoga may positively affect levels of brain or blood chemicals, such as monoamines, melatonin and stress hormones. Changes in several mental functions, including perception, attention, cognition, processing of sensory information, and visual perception, are described in human research.It is proposed that health may be affected by mind-body interactions that occur through techniques such as yoga, and that daily practice of yoga may help to maintain wellness.

So although you might not have a yoga centre near you, the benefits of trying on your own seem too attractive to pass by.

source: http://thengmag.com/Blog/2016/10/yoga-its-benefits-and-where-to-find-yoga-classes-in-nigeria

Re: Yoga, Its Benefits And Where To Find Yoga Classes In Nigeria by WooodSI: 4:42pm On Sep 04, 2020
I'm looking for more information about yoga. My boyfriend introduce me to this sport, or how can we call it? This is a kind of mixture of stretching and meditation. BTW, thanks for sharing this with us! When I was reading about chakras meaning I foscused mainly on Sacral Chakra. I want to reveal my sexuality, I want to feel okay with my sexuality and savor the taste of life! As I said my boyfriend practice yoga, I'm gonna do the same to release my energy. He always tells me how cool is to have succes at job by doing this.
Re: Yoga, Its Benefits And Where To Find Yoga Classes In Nigeria by samkayy(m): 12:28am On Aug 30, 2022

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Photo - Man Survived The Most Dangerous Accident Of All Times. / Hanta Virus Killed 36 People In Chana Today / One Testicle Bigger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.