Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,598 members, 7,827,252 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:39 AM

Siasia Quits Youth Football - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Siasia Quits Youth Football (4707 Views)

Poll: Is This A Good Move?

Yes: 81% (49 votes)
No: 18% (11 votes)
This poll has ended

El-rufai, Mikel, Siasia,Ighalo Win At Bet9ja Pitch Awards / Vincent Enyeama Finally Quits Unceremoniously. / Right To Dream (rtd)-One Of The Best Youth Football Academy In The world. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by Nobody: 10:09pm On Oct 16, 2009
Siasia has paid his due and I respect him for that. I guess he admitted that he failed as against the criticism of some who hold that he did otherwise. He admitted his failure and pointed out the reason for it. Saisia tried. He is an Icon as far as coaching in Africa is concerned.
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by naso2(m): 10:25pm On Oct 16, 2009
semid4lyfe:

Professionalism my ass!
I repeat Siasia is a FAILURE and he's making matters worse by saying THE PLAYERS HE SELECTED were uncoachable & refused to listen to his instructions. Shey na me select the players for am ni? The guy should just keep quiet and stop yarning dust jare.
I'm beginning to doubt his coaching credentials sef after all na only 2 2nd place be em best achievement and when did that start counting for anything in this world? Brazil will never celebrate a 2nd place finish in any football competition but my dear 9ja is a country that celebrates mediocrity. Shioor!
He should come and tell me why he kept only one defender behind and why that 'midget' Rabiu Ibrahim went forward to nod during the corner kick that resulted in germany's 3rd goal? Not only that, rabiu was always going forward to nod for all corners when he's short and doesn't have a great leap. Na to dey pose with Ralph Lauren shirt dey do fine boy em sabi.
Nonsense and Ingredients!

I believe you can do better than this, except your name is AMODU SHuAIBU.

Siasia took the U-20 TEAM IN 2005 played the qualifiers, went to Benin and defeated every team to win in Africa, he went to Holland and played till the final lost to argentina,

He started the Olympic 2008 qualifiers and made it ahead of teams like Ghana and south Africa. Overage players did not show up,some other reliables of the team did not show up , he improvised and produced a formidable team that won 4 matches and drew 1 match and lost only to a star-studded Argentine team in the final narrowly. Voted the 15th best coach in the world for the year 2008 and second best in Africa.

If because of this Egypt experience(which could have happened to even the best coach in the world) you term him a failure, I may want to submit that you simply do not understand football. QED
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by AjanleKoko: 10:42pm On Oct 16, 2009
Interesting.
So we know football this well in Africa?
See the mind-boggling analysis from all of y'all. Yet we keep getting beat time and again.
They should try to form a team, including technical crew, from Nairaland next World Cup Qualifiers.
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by Abelicious: 10:44pm On Oct 16, 2009
his words were loaded against those boys,he has insulted their intelligence,is he trying to say they don't understand simple english? then he should speak nigeria!
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by vislabraye(m): 12:16am On Oct 17, 2009
AjanleKoko:

Interesting.
So we know football this well in Africa?
See the mind-boggling analysis from all of y'all. Yet we keep getting beat time and again.
They should try to form a team, including technical crew, from Nairaland next World Cup Qualifiers.
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Siasia has done very well. His previous victories were not fluke, but sheer ingenuity and hardwork. Infact, they were as good as winning the gold medal in 1995 instead of siver. We all know the story, how the ref. robbed us,

If Siasia says the players hardly listen, can you blame him? Is it not true? Let's go back memory lane:

In US 94 world cup, who lost the game for us? Sunday Oliseh. How? Westeroff told the players to kick the ball out of play to delay time. Did he/they listen? If you don't know nigerians love 2 play 2 the gallery
Our match against Tunisia, was it Suaibu that told Taye to play out of position?.
There are other instances when the players just decide to Bleep up. Sometimes i would like to exonerate the coaches of any blame.

All in all, i wish siasia a successful career.
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by vislabraye(m): 12:20am On Oct 17, 2009
vislabraye:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Siasia has done very well. His previous victories were not fluke, but sheer ingenuity and hardwork. Infact, they were as good as winning the gold medal in 2005 instead of siver. We all know the story, how the ref. robbed us,

If Siasia says the players hardly listen, can you blame him? Is it not true? Let's go back memory lane:

In US 94 world cup, who lost the game for us? Sunday Oliseh. How? Westeroff told the players to kick the ball out of play to delay time. Did he/they listen? If you don't know nigerians love 2 play 2 the gallery
Our match against Tunisia, was it Suaibu that told Taye to play out of position?.
There are other instances when the players just decide to Bleep up. Sometimes i would like to exonerate the coaches of any blame.

All in all, i wish siasia a successful career.

Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by hedges007(m): 6:06am On Oct 17, 2009
Wonderful, 2010 world cup was extremely superlative, i just watched the final match 2 hours ago, but to my surprise, Nigeria was missing throughout the tournament, what a pity? Food for thought Siasia, that was a well fashioned move. I wish our megalomaniac politicians could understand simple law of duty? To quit when the ovation is loudest or when the ovation is extremely low,, in the case of our politicians, when no ovation at all.
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by sylve11: 8:56am On Oct 17, 2009
semid4lyfe:

Professionalism my ass!
I repeat Siasia is a FAILURE and he's making matters worse by saying THE PLAYERS HE SELECTED were uncoachable & refused to listen to his instructions. Shey na me select the players for am ni? The guy should just keep quiet and stop yarning dust jare.
I'm beginning to doubt his coaching credentials sef after all na only 2 2nd place be em best achievement and when did that start counting for anything in this world? Brazil will never celebrate a 2nd place finish in any football competition but my dear 9ja is a country that celebrates mediocrity. Shioor!
He should come and tell me why he kept only one defender behind and why that 'midget' Rabiu Ibrahim went forward to nod during the corner kick that resulted in germany's 3rd goal? Not only that, rabiu was always going forward to nod for all corners when he's short and doesn't have a great leap. Na to dey pose with Ralph Lauren shirt dey do fine boy em sabi.
Nonsense and Ingredients!

talk wisely na angry angry cool
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by steve26(m): 9:24am On Oct 17, 2009
Lawrence you said it all. why cant people just admit their failure instead of coming up with flimsy excuses. paid his dues my ass, if you say he has paid his due then what has the ghanain coach paid? just accept the guy flopped this time and he should go work harder silly
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by lordss(m): 10:14am On Oct 17, 2009
NIGERIANS, MUST WE WIN ALL THE TIME, TODAY SIASIA IS A GOOD COACH TOMMROW SIASIA IS A BAD COACH, ABEG WE GET 2 MOUTH
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by honeric01(m): 10:49am On Oct 17, 2009
Some Nigerians can be stupid sometimes, if you give them your head, they will ask for your hand, if you give them your hand, they will ask for your butt. what else do you want? he admitted his mistakes, yet you want to kill him, if you are that good at coaching, why haven't you established your own football academy or better-still coach an u-4 side?
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by lordss(m): 11:45am On Oct 17, 2009
HUMAN BEINGS ARE INSATIABLE , U CAN NEVA SATISFY HUMAN
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by adebayo6(m): 12:56pm On Oct 17, 2009
is gud for him bt dis is our land no mata the odd
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by galatico(m): 12:59pm On Oct 17, 2009
It's high time he step up to the Super Eagles job .
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by Nobody: 1:02pm On Oct 17, 2009
Its time to move up sia1.humble&gentle man.If u saw/heard his speech during d MTN/AIT awards,u'll understand my point
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by micokem: 3:28pm On Oct 17, 2009
Its really a good tin dat he realized tin weren't working as he planned.Quiting youth football is good 4 him since the boys are not ready to learn n deliver to us their fans.i believe there are so many clubs out there ready to bid for Siasia,His agent should nt relent on any good offer.Siasia is going places.my role model. smiley cool
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by blackweaver(m): 5:36pm On Oct 17, 2009
steve26:

Lawrence you said it all. why cant people just admit their failure instead of coming up with flimsy excuses. paid his dues my ass, if you say he has paid his due then what has the ghanain coach paid? just accept the guy flopped this time and he should go work harder silly

it seems you didn't read the initial article; Siasia DID admit that he failed which is more than you will hear from most other coaches, in fact i will like someone to remind me of another coach (local or foreign) that admitted to failing after losing in a tournament; i think that's one of the makings of a good leader, admitting that you messed up; yes he admitted that the boys didn't play according to plan but he didn't absolve himself of the blame and i think it's unfair to accuse him of doing so
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by kliverpool(m): 6:12pm On Oct 17, 2009
how can u explain 90 goal minute celebration like you have won the world cup when u know u
need as many goals as possible,playing against 9men.and u still have like 3minutes to go.
is that the fault of the coach.
don't they have brains?

i have never seen any set of chicken brain players
Siasia should do something else.
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by Paulopoloo: 8:04pm On Oct 17, 2009
What has he done to deserve promotion? how many trophies has he lifted as a coach with the youth teams? What is his coaching qualification? How is his profile like? What example has he shown? Can he boast of any record as a coach? How many Nigerian coaches have lost two matches in a row? Has coaching also become a zoning formula? Help me tell him that 'he that can not do well in little things can not also do well in much'. He should rather be apologizing to Nigerians than re-opening our wounds.
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by Nobody: 8:46pm On Oct 17, 2009
Well i want to believe that something is seriously wrong with Nigeria soccer now, and it is because the whole system is too corrupt. The NFF, the coaching crew and our sport ministry contributes to our soccer failure. What do you expect out of a team that is selected not by merits or performance but on settlements. Ministers will donate players, senior eagles will donate, NFF executives will donate theirs e.t.c and at the end there will be no good performance. Siasia has done his own but he also contributes to the failure. He did not complain about African youth when he was winning medals and he was being praised here and there but now that he fumbled our players are no more good. he did not complain before the competition for us to know, abi, they didnt train under him. Why must he take players that doesn't follow instructions to that kid of competition, i mean to World cup and not to friendlies. Anyway he is an African man, flimsy excuses for his failure. Goodluck to him wherever he decides to go.
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by ono(m): 10:48pm On Oct 17, 2009
Well I support his quitting but I don't quite agree with his generalising the defects with youth football in Africa. I'll rather he makes it a Nigerian thing. All the bad stuff he said about African youths are mostly found in Nigerian youths.

Anyways, Ghana just proved him wrong in his assertions.

All said, I wish him luck in his quest to move up.
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by vislabraye(m): 11:03pm On Oct 17, 2009
How many Nigerian Coaches do u know that has achieved what Siasia has achieved. What would endear him to the heart of many Nigerians (reasonable Nigerians) is when he left. Most Nigerians do not know when to say time up. Give Siasia kudos and stop bitching him
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by akinalabi(m): 12:54am On Oct 18, 2009
He should get a clubside, win trophies before I reckon with him as
a manager
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by Nobody: 8:29am On Oct 18, 2009
akinalabi:

He should get a clubside, win trophies before I reckon with him as
a manager

my feelings too
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by mireco(m): 8:49am On Oct 18, 2009
Its sad that Siasia wants to quit cos he's got the technical know how. The problem with out team isn't of skill but emotional hazard. They need to control there emotions regarding celebration of goals and also knowing which match is a do or die affair. Its about using common sense when u need it. That isn't taught in school. there is no systematic application of such but using the best discretion at that point in time. In all it has to do with loyalty to Ur country. I think the players should undergo a psychic training.
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by BabaO2: 1:54pm On Oct 18, 2009
But in Africa the players don't listen, their thinking is low and you have to repeat yourself over and over or they will forget."
loads of nonsense and daft statement from siasia, no wonders the team failed because of his daftness.
so Ghana that won the tournament is from Europe or south America?
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by adebayo201: 10:07am On Oct 19, 2009
All is nönsense. Siasia or the player$ are to b blamed. Bt we African or 9jaz dnt learn 4rm failure.
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by EARLMAGIC: 7:16pm On Oct 22, 2009
Siasia was one of my favourite Nigerian Players of his era. His silky skills and deft touches made him a delight to watch.
As a coach I have supported and wished him success.

I am really disappointed at the statement credited to him and even more shocked at the people who have written in support of what he said.

Siasia though took Nigeria to the finals the Olympics and under 20 world cup, His ability to read a game and make the right tactical changes are questionable. In both finals when we were losing to Argentina he could not make brave substitutions. Every football coaching manual would tell you that when you are losing in a knockout stage of a competition you should sacrifice a midfielder or defender for an attacker as there is no difference if you lose 10-0 or 1-0 in a finals. Remember Bonfree Jo taking off Mobi Okparaku in the semi finals and finals of Atlanta 96 and bringing in an attack minded player on both occasions (Wilson Oruma and Emmanuel Amunike Respectively).
Siasia he could not make such moves. He wanted to lose with dignity. You don’t win silvers, you lose gold! Against Germany in this recent tournament, you are up a goal and a man in the knockout stages and all you have to do is stretch the game and make the field bigger so the extra man shows. We were playing long balls into the German Half.

I am happy he said he has failed. We know the boys he took are not best, but the coach should not openly say such things about his players.
I hope Siasia did not say this things or i would have lost a lot of respect for him.
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by naso2(m): 11:40pm On Oct 23, 2009
EARLMAGIC:

Siasia though took Nigeria to the finals the Olympics and under 20 world cup, His ability to read a game and make the right tactical changes are questionable. In both finals when we were losing to Argentina he could not make brave substitutions. Every football coaching manual would tell you that when you are losing in a knockout stage of a competition you should sacrifice a midfielder or defender for an attacker as there is no difference if you lose 10-0 or 1-0 in a finals. Remember Bonfree Jo taking off Mobi Okparaku in the semi finals and finals of Atlanta 96 and bringing in an attack minded player on both occasions (Wilson Oruma and Emmanuel Amunike Respectively).

Which kind analysis be dis one now? abeg make we hear word.

Which coaching book says when you are 1 goal down you have to replace a midfielder or defender with  an attacker? Everybody na coach for nigeria now. In Atlanta Mobi was injured go and watch that match again, and a coach may decide to do that if either his team is sustaining pressure on the opponent to equalise or/and if the defending team is replacing a midfielder/attacker with a defender. In that game Brazil was replacing their key strikers like Ronaldo and sitting back to absorb pressure and kill time.  Yes sometimes a coach brings in an attacker to replace a defender but my friend it not so linear.  Dont come here judging Siasia with this "nursery school " analysis.

When Yemi tella's team was down by 1 goal to columbia 10  minutes to the end of the game, did he replace a defender with an attacker before we equalised and won?

Even the best coaches have their bad days , it was just a bad day for siasia BUT HE REMAINS A GOOD COACH ANY DAY.
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by EARLMAGIC: 9:25am On Oct 25, 2009
na_so:

Which kind analysis be dis one now? abeg make we hear word.

Which coaching book says when you are 1 goal down you have to replace a midfielder or defender with  an attacker? Everybody na coach for nigeria now. In Atlanta Mobi was injured go and watch that match again, and a coach may decide to do that if either his team is sustaining pressure on the opponent to equalise or/and if the defending team is replacing a midfielder/attacker with a defender. [b]In that game Brazil was replacing their key strikers like Ronaldo and sitting back to absorb pressure and kill time. [/b]  Yes sometimes a coach brings in an attacker to replace a defender but my friend it not so linear.  Dont come here judging Siasia with this "nursery school " analysis.

ANY DAY.[/b]

I really dont know why I am replying to this. Maybe just to educate you as I can see your knowledge of football is little.
In the Brazil match our first substitution was Ikpeba for Amunuike at half time
then Tesilim Fatusi came on for Tijani Babangida in the 67th minute. At the same time brazil brought in Rivaldo for Juninho. how can that be negative substitution. when both are attack minded midfielders.
We removed Mobi in the 82nd minute for Oruma, the Brazillians brouht on Savio who is a left sided attacking midfielder to exploit that gap 5 minutes later. How can that be time killing
So your analysis of the tactical reasons for the substitutions is frail.

Just like you said "its Not Linear" but its more often than not done when you are down at the knockout stages of a tournament you sacrifce a defender for a midfielder or an attacker! I cant believe a football pundits is arguing against this

BUT HE REMAINS A GOOD COACH ANY DAY: I am not arguing with that fact. He can improve. he needs  to go for broke when need be and not hold back.

One question  to you my friend, was Mobi injured again in the Finals against Argentina when we were 1-2 down and he had to go off in the 62nd minute and be replaced by Oruma an attacking midfielder.

"In Atlanta Mobi was injured go and watch that match again"!
mate you have to watch the match again

Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by naso2(m): 8:54am On Oct 26, 2009
@EARLMAGIC
We may go on and on about the atlanta team but it remains that we differ on two grounds

1. That when a team is down by one goal a good coach must always replace a midfielder/defender with a striker.
2. That when your opponent is one man down, you just spread your play by expanding the field and  beat the 10-man team

1.My position is simply that when a team is down there is no universal rule that says a good coach brings in a extra striker. A coach has several good options like replacing his strikers with the ones on the bench,or asking the midfielders to move up into the opponents territory.

That Bonfrere Joe did it and it worked does not make it the standard, if so I may want to ask why he did not do that when we were beaten by liberia and sierra leone (lowly rated teams) in the build up to korea/japan 2002.

It is only wise that when a team is down , the coach does not commit tactical blunders in a bid to get an eqauliser and allow the leading team get an "insurance goal". Every coach knows that once it is still a 1 goal lead  you still have a chance to even scores up to the last second. Chelsea Vs Barca is one example that even when a team is down by own goal it will be foolish  to get so ambitious and sacfrice your defense. Barca eqaulised almost in the last minute, there was no substitution in line with your suggestion.

In the olympic final Siasia threw enough of his men upfront and everyone knows that on a luckier day we sure would have had an equaliser.

2. Football is like a chess game , when you think only for the 11-man team , you miss it completely. Yes when a team is one man up , expanding play is an advantage but that may count for nothing in terms for goals if you dont look at what your opponent is doing.

When a team has 10 men , the coach tells the boys to  cede certain portions of the field to the opponent , guard its final third and wait to catch the opponent on a counter.Just what Germany did. So expanding play and all that may not make much difference

Secondly when a team with very tall players like Cameroun,Germany,senegal go one man down, because of the average pace/reach of each player they sometimes need only slight positional adjustment to minimise the effect of the one man shortage.
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by EARLMAGIC: 8:18pm On Oct 27, 2009
@ na so
This is my final position on this matter

"It's difficult to work with young African players as they struggle to comprehend you, so therefore you need a lot of time, if you don't have that you will never succeed.
"In Africa the players don't listen, their thinking is low and you have to repeat yourself over and over or they will forget
. Statement credited to Siasia

Below is the list of players that played for Nigeria in 1985 under 20. see the name in bold letters? he was a young African player which makes "his thinking is low and you have to repeat yourself over and over or he will forget It's difficult to work with this African player as he will struggle to comprehend you"

Nr. Name                                Date of Birth
1            Alloy AGU                                 2/07/1967
2         Godwin EVEH                              01/06/1968
3        Kingsley ONYE                              05/08/1966
4         Akanni WAIDI                                 03/04/1969
5       Andrew UWE                               12/10/1967
6      Michael ODU                                 24/02/1966
7      Michael DOMINIC                            12/09/1969
8    Augustine IGBINABARO                    07/08/1967
9    Odiaka MONDAY                               12/10/1966
10   Osaro OBOBAIFO                               01/08/1966
11   Mark ANUNOBI                                  12/10/1967
12   Ndubuissi OKOSIEME                        28/09/1966
13   Samson SIASIA                                 14/08/1967
14   Titus MBA                                           05/05/1968
15    Niyi ADELEYE                                     19/10/1966
16    Wasiu IPAYE                                     06/07/1968
17    Christian OBI                                    02/01/1967
18    Uche IKEOGU                                    28/12/1967
Coach: Paul HAMILTON (ENG)

In 1989, world football's ruling body, FIFA, slapped a two-year ban on Nigeria from the World Youth Championship after discrepancies were discovered in the age declarations of Samson Siasia, Dahiru Sadi and Andrew Uwe.
This same man opens his mouth to insult african youths and people clap for him.
He who is without sin, let him cast the first stone.
My guy I love Siasia but he should mind what he says. Nigerians have short memory but not all of them

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Get Youruk Pool Week 19 Live Draws(sure Winnings) / Which European Team Can Eagles Beat? / Ahmed Musa And Ali Nuhu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.