Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,004 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:29 AM

Adventures/photoblogs Of the Occasional Traveler - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Adventures/photoblogs Of the Occasional Traveler (3057 Views)

The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant / Annoying Habits Every Nigerian Traveler Should Drop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Adventures/photoblogs Of the Occasional Traveler by TWoods(m): 2:13am On Oct 03, 2016
One of the few things i regret not being able to do in Nigeria is the opportunity to travel for sightseeing. I find it odd that i know more about foreign countries than mine... but as always, you make do with what you can.

I caught the travel bug a few years ago and now make it a point to do at least 2-3 road trips every year. Fortunately, i also have a job that allows me the opportunity to make 1 or more free foreign trips a year... which helps. The goal is to use this as a photoblog of all my adventures.

8 Likes

Re: Adventures/photoblogs Of the Occasional Traveler by Nobody: 8:00am On Dec 07, 2016
TWoods:
One of the few things i regret not being able to do in Nigeria is the opportunity to travel for sightseeing. I find it odd that i know more about foreign countries than mine... but as always, you make do with what you can.

I caught the travel bug a few years ago and now make it a point to do at least 2-3 road trips every year. Fortunately, i also have a job that allows me the opportunity to make 1 or more free foreign trips a year... which helps. The goal is to use this as a photoblog of all my adventures.

I also enjoy travelling..I recently opened a travel blog. No content yet though. I've been incredibly busy. Where have you been to? We could work out something together

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Adventures/photoblogs Of the Occasional Traveler by Nobody: 1:21pm On Dec 10, 2016
Ariel20:

I also enjoy travelling..I recently opened a travel blog. No content yet though. I've been incredibly busy. Where have you been to? We could work out something together
Let's make it a team for three grin grin
My travel experience is rich

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Adventures/photoblogs Of the Occasional Traveler by TWoods(m): 4:38pm On Dec 11, 2016
Ariel20:

Haha nice! I've mostly done more travel within the US. Outside, i've done the Netherlands, Germany and Belgium - hoping to extend this to Sweden in the next two months. Well we can work something together, let me know.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adventures/photoblogs Of the Occasional Traveler by Nobody: 5:46pm On Dec 11, 2016
I kinda know more about Nigeria but would love to know about other places too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Adventures/photoblogs Of the Occasional Traveler by TWoods(m): 2:09am On Dec 23, 2016
So months after starting this photoblog, i finally get around to posting on it! Its been a long work year but at last, i have a few weeks when i have absolutely zero to do other than wake up, eat, clean the house and then do the one thing i love best - driving to find the best spots and eats around me.

When you ask many people what places they like most about America, they are likely to tell you a lot about the popular places - New York city, Chicago, Los Angeles etc. While all these places are great, the areas i find most intriguing are the areas you probably have heard referred to as "real America". These are typically small towns with small populations which you probably would never hear off outside of America. However, i find these places the best areas to visit if you want to really learn about America's history, its people, culture and foods. So since i had a few days to burn on vacation, i decided to spend a few days chronicling my foray into small town America.

By the way, typical characteristics of "small town America":
1. As the name implies, most of these towns are small in size, with populations usually numbering in the hundreds to a few thousands.
2. There is ALWAYS a main street!
3. Other things you will find - courthouse, funeral home, US post office and fire stations (Americans don't joke with their fire services).

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adventures/photoblogs Of the Occasional Traveler by TWoods(m): 2:11am On Dec 23, 2016
First spot - Doylestown, Pennsylvania - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doylestown,_Pennsylvania.

I stumbled into this town quite by accident while looking for an audio store and loved it instantly. For those who have been to Philly, the town is less than 30 miles north.

First photo is the rough map of my ride to the town. Other than the I-78, all the other routes were back roads, which are fun to take because you get to see other small towns on your drive (these trips are more fun in the summer or fall, when the weather is warmer). From route 33, it took under 50 minutes to get to there.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adventures/photoblogs Of the Occasional Traveler by TWoods(m): 2:32am On Dec 23, 2016
NA

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Adventures/photoblogs Of the Occasional Traveler by TWoods(m): 2:33am On Dec 23, 2016
Before the trip, it was needful to fuel up (both literally and figuratively). Here i stopped at my favorite place to grab a bowl of hot soup (you'll find a panera bread in practically every American town you get to - well almost). My favorite food is the Greek salad and chicken and wild rice soup (the tomato bisque with bread is also worth a try). The car had to get some gas too!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adventures/photoblogs Of the Occasional Traveler by TWoods(m): 8:41am On Dec 23, 2016
Small town America is notorious for its numerous one way streets. Likely holdovers from the old days when horse buggies were the prevalent mode of transport. Be sure to look for this type of sign...

State street is one of the popular streets here - plenty of mom and pop shops, bars, restaurants...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adventures/photoblogs Of the Occasional Traveler by TWoods(m): 8:46am On Dec 23, 2016
With the advent of google and computers, old school libraries are becoming relics of the past. I found this one on state street as well. Interestingly enough, i found quite a lot of old African Writers Series books here - The beautiful ones are not yet born (Ngugi Wa 'Thiongo), Mine boy (Peter Abraham). There was a section entirely devoted to Chinua Achebe and i could find a couple of works by Cyrprian Ekwensi. They had a book on the history of the Nigerian economy too... the things you find...

Depending on the size of the town, you're far less likely to find your typical hotel chains here. Rather, you'd find older Beds and Breakfast-style lodges and Inns, like this one from 1902. They aren't cheap either.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adventures/photoblogs Of the Occasional Traveler by TWoods(m): 8:51am On Dec 23, 2016
In my view, the best, cheap eats are to be found here. I saw this on State street but didn't stop in (i'll certainly be back to try the gelato).

Of course, no American town is complete without its own pizzeria...

Or bar...

I recently became a fan of olive oil as an accompaniment to tomatoes and mozzarella so of course, i had to capture this -

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adventures/photoblogs Of the Occasional Traveler by TWoods(m): 8:54am On Dec 23, 2016
This was by far the highlight of my day... if you've never tried Belgian waffles with ice cream, you simply haven't lived!

May i suggest you make this little hole-in-the-wall your next destination...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adventures/photoblogs Of the Occasional Traveler by TWoods(m): 8:59am On Dec 23, 2016
There is something to be said for rustic looking streets with old lamp posts...

You're also likely to find a local theater. Usually not the typical chain theaters that you're used to in big cities so don't expect the same level of comfort and equipment. Also the movie offerings are usually small. Today there were only three movies on offer, with a 3-hour gap between shows. Planning ahead is good if you intend to catch a show at any one of them.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adventures/photoblogs Of the Occasional Traveler by TWoods(m): 9:03am On Dec 23, 2016
All in all, i had a great couple of hours. Good food, nice people, nice atmosphere and a healthy appreciation for the types of cultures that make up the fabric of America.

For my next adventure, i heard there's a great spot in Philadelphia where you can find authentic German cuisine and i obviously didn't need a second invitation to try it out. Pictures uploading later tomorrow...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adventures/photoblogs Of the Occasional Traveler by Lordkylie(f): 5:58pm On Apr 07, 2017
TWoods where are you??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Adventures/photoblogs Of the Occasional Traveler by TWoods(m): 2:58am On Apr 08, 2017
Lordkylie:
TWoods where are you??

Quite busy working and traveling for the meantime... really beautiful miss! If I may say so myself.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Adventures/photoblogs Of the Occasional Traveler by Babysho(m): 12:42am On Dec 16, 2017
Manchester By The Sea was on on that day. I didn't know that the star actor, Casey is Ben Afflek's brother. I enjoyed the movie and his acting.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Adventures/photoblogs Of the Occasional Traveler by Nobody: 9:09pm On Dec 16, 2017
please revive this thread. it's beautiful.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adventures/photoblogs Of the Occasional Traveler by DereI(f): 2:33pm On Jan 14, 2018
Yeah, I hope he does. Really beautiful pictures

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adventures/photoblogs Of the Occasional Traveler by Lmaomen1(m): 10:28am On Nov 20, 2019
I would like to travel like this now that Christmas in coming. But who wouldn't want to? I follow a few guys that travel around the world and I wonder: "How the hell are they able to find time and money for that?". I mean I could leave my job and travel, but where to take the money for? One of the guys I follow calls himself bald and bankrupt. Well, he's bald for real, but is he really bankrupt? I don't think so. He traveled a lot of countries. I watched his videos from Eastern Europe and Asia and damn I would like to be in his place, traveling the creepy villages from Russia.

1 Like

Re: Adventures/photoblogs Of the Occasional Traveler by Nobody: 5:32am On Feb 08, 2020
IT
Re: Adventures/photoblogs Of the Occasional Traveler by Nobody: 1:57am On Feb 18, 2020
TWoods:

i love travelling too,i will like to travel around with you sir, can I pm?
Re: Adventures/photoblogs Of the Occasional Traveler by Girlbestfriend(f): 9:34pm On Jun 18, 2021
Revive this thread please.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

U.k Visa Advice My People / Latest Information On Form A / Photos: Check Out This Oyibo Woman On Nigeria Traditional Clothes.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.