Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,799 members, 7,810,078 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:10 PM

The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians (5510 Views)

Atheism By Definition Is Problematic / Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton / Rising Atheism By Deji Yesufu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by hopefulLandlord: 3:58am On Nov 30, 2016
JackBizzle:

Who told you that atheists don't believe in good or evil?
lol that guy can't answer because its really hard for him
he'll rather run away to save the little dignity he head left
Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by JackBizzle: 10:12am On Oct 04, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Your ignorance on the subject is pathetic bro . Christian communism is a misnomer , its actually called communualism . They reject some parts of Marxism and only agree to the economic benefits of communism , the same with Islamic communism . Can't you see they attached the religion's name ? undecided . They are simply rejecting the foundation which is atheism and attaching a theological root . Plus is there any such thing atheistic communism ? When will you ever have sense bro?

Bros how far? This is another thread in which you were decimated...... grin
Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by vaxx: 11:16am On Oct 04, 2017
JackBizzle:

10) Atheism is a white man's philosophy
This is a widespread ignorant belief held by many Nigerians due to the fact that they have always been surrounded by religion- christianity, islam and ATR. They fail to realise that there have always been disbelievers with every religion in every continent. Were there not blasphemers in your village before the white man came? Atheists generally have been careful to hide their beliefs so that they won't be harmed. There are many Nigerian atheists who have never even been out of Nigeria, yet they became atheists.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4309031_blackwomenatheists720_jpeg2d420cdc46b7772a4aad3690d9bdec8f

9) Atheists only believe in science
This is another misconception about atheism. Since a lot of atheists use facts and scenitific research to argue, the christians at the end of such arguments feel that atheists just follow whatever scientists tell them. Atheism has nothing to do with science. Science and logic are just the best ways of pointing out that God/religion are unnecessary. Some atheists do not even understand science- they just have a sceptical mind. Atheists are human beings like you- they love, they drink, they play, they fight.

cool Atheism is a result of bad parenting.
Many ignorant nigerians believe that because atheist nigerians come from religious households, their (the atheists') parents must have failed in teaching them the religion. This is not so. People leave religion due to evidence or some experience. You cannot lock everyone's brain to a religion. People change. People grow. People progress.

7) Atheism is a cult
Many ignorant Nigerians do not understand atheism and since it is not inline with their religion, they accuse it of being a cult. A good example of this ignorance is the belief held by many Pentecostal Nigerians that the catholic church is a cult- despite the catholic church being a much older and bigger church than their own

6) Atheism is a religion
This is one of the more dubious lies done not in ignorance but of hatred. Many christians and muslims know that their religions are problematic, so they too try to rope atheism in the problem as well by calling atheism a religion. They see atheists coming together to criticize their religion and they use this as a way to get back at the atheists. How can atheism be a religion? Are there gods in atheism? Is there any mode of worship? How can a lack of belief be a religion? Do atheists have any rituals? If I put 100 atheists in a room, would you find one single thing that ties them all together? No!

5) Atheism is the reason for communism and communist killers
Yes, state or forced atheism came as an integral part of communism but then, not all atheists are communists. Atheism is not a political party or a political doctrine. In fact, communism is more anti-religion or anti-theist than atheist since it kills religious people. Atheism is an empty disbelief and therefore it cannot be a motive for murder or politics. There have been many atheist presidents who have never been tyrants or murderers. In fact, the best president of recent times is an atheist- Jose Mujica of Uruguay.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4309232_josemujicabadgut_jpeg9723f525f1f8f3143ea819c095d6970f

4) Atheists are fools
Many nigerian christians and muslims believe that atheists are fools for two reasons
1) A gaping, colossal pit of hellfire awaits the ignorant unbelievers
2) The bible/quran both have unflattering descriptions for unbelievers
------
Atheists are not fools- they are human beings like you. Atheists just do not believe in hell or the quran or the bible. Furthermore, research shows that atheists/irreligious people tend to be smarter in general, compared to religious people. In fact, some of the smartest people on earth today are atheists. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/religious-people-are-less-intelligent-than-atheists-according-to-analysis-of-scores-of-scientific-8758046.html ......it is also important to note that there are millions of religious people who are smart, if not smarter than atheists.

3) Atheists want to eradicate religion
This is one of the biggest fears of many ignorant and or dubious religious folk. They assume that atheists just hate religion and want to see it gone. There are good and bad atheists, just like there are good and bad religious people. Most good atheists, just like most good christians just want to enjoy their freedom to believe what they believe. Also, many atheists also want there to be separation of church and state- this also leads to the confusion that atheists want religion gone.

2) Atheism is satan's plan to deceive unbelievers in the end times
Atheists do not believe in Satan or any other deity. Full stop.

1) Atheists have no religion/God, hence they lack moral grounding.
This misconception is one of the biggest ones that atheists keep having to deal with. Many religious Nigerians seem to believe that morals come from the bible/quran. No- there are many sources for morality- logic, family, society and culture. Morality does not come from your religious books- or else, we would still be having slaves and killing blasphemers. Take the issue of human cloning- where did we get the morality to be against it? There is nothing against cloning in any religion or holy book- we all (christians, muslims, atheists hindu etc) came together in the form of united governments to say "no" to the terrible science of human cloning.

cc hahn, kingebukasblog, feargodandlive, dblackninja, hopefullandlord, johnydon22, josep1832, ishilove, lalasticlala, femarse, PastorAIO , ValentineMary , Pyrrho , braithwaite , dragonEmperor , theonejabulani , lepasharon , cloudgoddess , ifenes , Hopefullandlord , brigance , stephenmorris , thehomer , dalaman , Ranchhoddas , CAPSLOCKED , lilbrown007 , Elohim1, RaphieMontella , Weah96 , SirWere , sonofluc1fer , CEOmyn , beejay
no cultural minded Africa should be an atheist....it is a taboo

Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by JackBizzle: 11:22am On Oct 04, 2017
vaxx:
no cultural minded Africa should be an atheist....it is a taboo

You should really think before you post. Your picture says "You will forever be a slave as long as you are relying on another race for the definition of God"

Yet, here you are with christianity. A foreign Jewish religion brought to you by the British.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6057790_fbimg1506894770979_jpeg581cd75cf6187c5745bf27e09018be36
Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by vaxx: 11:25am On Oct 04, 2017
JackBizzle:

You should really think before you post. Your picture says "You will forever be a slave as long as you are relying on another race for the definition of God"

Yet, here you are with christianity. A foreign Jewish religion brought to you by the British.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6057790_fbimg1506894770979_jpeg581cd75cf6187c5745bf27e09018be36
j think you are missing the link bro...it also address you...read careful...I am not a Christian...
Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by PastorAIO: 11:38am On Oct 04, 2017
Atheism has really landed in Nigeria o! I just got back yesterday and was amazed. How do I know that it is having a big cultural impact? Well because they are starting to make Nollywood films with atheist characters in them. The Atheists are always the bad guys though.
Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by hopefulLandlord: 11:40am On Oct 04, 2017
PastorAIO:
Atheism has really landed in Nigeria o! I just got back yesterday and was amazed. How do I know that it is having a big cultural impact? Well because they are starting to make Nollywood films with atheist characters in them. The Atheists are always the bad guys though.

that's interesting, can you give me the title of these Nolly movies?
Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by PastorAIO: 11:56am On Oct 04, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

Sorry, I only catch them half way through when I'm at the barbers or somewhere. I don't actually sit down and watch them.
Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by JackBizzle: 12:05pm On Oct 04, 2017
PastorAIO:

Well, there's an atheist convention in November.
Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by hopefulLandlord: 12:09pm On Oct 04, 2017
PastorAIO:

Sorry, I only catch them half way through when I'm at the barbers or somewhere. I don't actually sit down and watch them.

okay
Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by hopefulLandlord: 1:39pm On Oct 04, 2017
JackBizzle:

Well, there's an atheist convention in November.
when exactly?
Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by JackBizzle: 1:52pm On Oct 04, 2017
Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by peacesamuel94(m): 2:35pm On Oct 04, 2017
Saying atheists do not want religion eradicated, is lying confidently and blatantly.
Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by hopefulLandlord: 2:40pm On Oct 04, 2017
peacesamuel94:
Saying atheists do not want religion eradicated, is lying confidently and blatantly.

we have a mind reader here, he's been able to read all Atheist's minds and knows we want religion eradicated

1 Like

Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by JackBizzle: 2:40pm On Oct 04, 2017
peacesamuel94:

We dont want religion to be eradicated. Everyone has a right to worship.

What we want is religion to be a personal thing and properly regulated.

Churches and mosques pay taxes.

1 Like

Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by peacesamuel94(m): 3:39pm On Oct 04, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

we have a mind reader here, he's been able to read all Atheist's minds and knows we want religion eradicated

Well I don't have to be a mind reader to know that , many of you by your actions have shown it countlessly, the way you blame religion for Nigeria/ Africa's problems, the way you mock and scoff at the beliefs of religious people , is open for all to see. so turning around to say that you don't want religion eradicated in other to appear good, is living in denial.

However, maybe there still exist a class of atheist that I never came across all this while, and I'm guessing you belong to the group that want religion to thrive... right?
Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by peacesamuel94(m): 3:56pm On Oct 04, 2017
JackBizzle:

We dont want religion to be eradicated. Everyone has a right to worship.

What we want is religion to be a personal thing and properly regulated.

Churches and mosques pay taxes.

Really? if this ur view is sincere then I guess, you've never created a thread to condemn religious people and their beliefs since you said everyone has a right to worship. True?
Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by JackBizzle: 4:30pm On Oct 04, 2017
peacesamuel94:

Really? if this ur view is sincere then I guess, you've never created a thread to condemn religious people and their beliefs since you said everyone has a right to worship. True?

Your rights stop where and when it infringes mine. I condemn any religious person who infringes on my rights as an atheist
Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by PastorAIO: 10:39am On Oct 08, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

Here is something else I've just found in Facebook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNi17azOhjc
Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by Deicide: 2:01pm On Oct 08, 2017
PastorAIO:

Lol this is a common joke among religious people na and so many misconceptions with it grin surprise you don't know about it
Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by JackBizzle: 9:16pm On Oct 08, 2017
PastorAIO:

Ah, the old 'atheist professor' hoax
Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by PastorAIO: 10:24pm On Oct 08, 2017
Deicide:

Lol this is a common joke among religious people na and so many misconceptions with it grin surprise you don't know about it

Yes I know the joke however I think it is significant that filmmakers feel motivated to spend their resources dramatising it. Why are they bothered? I think that whatever is going down in nollywood etc is an I
Portent marker of the state of wider Nigerian society.
Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by Deicide: 7:57am On Oct 09, 2017
PastorAIO:

Yes I know the joke however I think it is significant that filmmakers feel motivated to spend their resources dramatising it. Why are they bothered? I think that whatever is going down in nollywood etc is an I
Ok i get your point
Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by Deicide: 7:59am On Oct 09, 2017
PastorAIO:

Ok i get your point
Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by Popquiz: 7:17pm On May 20, 2019
[color=#000099][/color]
Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by Popquiz: 7:22pm On May 20, 2019
WORLDPEACE:

Reasons Why Atheism Looks Like A Religion
1. The fact that many Atheists are puzzled that the other side does not share their beliefs when the 'fact' is supposed to be obvious to all. That is subjectivity. This is exactly how the minds of religious people work.
2. The obsessive need to proselytize by some atheist can begin to look like they were given the commission to do so by a higher power. This is what the very religious do.
3. The self-righteousness of some. The "we are not like them who have done this and that" expressions. It's like watching christians and Muslims go at one another.
4. The "Scientists say" prefix every time Atheists want to make an important point often reminds one of "My Pastor says" or the "Qur'an says" which basically means that that "greater mind's" views overrules yours and everybody else's. This too is the stuff religion is made of.

And you know the say "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."
Re: The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians by GracieX3(f): 5:58am On May 05, 2021
Great thread. I wonder where kingebukasblog is.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Was Jonah Angry When Ninevah Repented? / Prayer Points For Pregnant Woman In Expectation Of Safe Delivery / DIGC CROSSOVER MESSAGE. By Dr. Pst. Paul Enenche

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.