Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:58 AM

Why Is African Traditional Worship Not Taught In Schools? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Is African Traditional Worship Not Taught In Schools? (1421 Views)

Nigeria Reintroduces History In Schools From 2018/2019 Academic Session / Hilarious Laws Which You Were Probably Not Taught In School!!! / Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is African Traditional Worship Not Taught In Schools? by Rapmoney(m): 8:22pm On Oct 03, 2016
We claim there are three major religions in Nigeria, yet, only two religions are taught in our schools from primary to tertiary levels. Christian Religious Studies and Islamic Studies (two religions that were forcefully imported into Nigeria by Europeans and Arabs) are taught in schools. We even have departments for these two in our universities and people have been bagging first, second and third degrees in these.

What happens to the third religion, African Traditional Worship, as contained in our constitution? What happens to kids who have been born into families of African Traditional Worship? Don't they deserve to be taught their religious doctrines in school like other kids? With the way we have so much embraced imported cultures, I wonder if any pupil would be bold enough to tell his/her teacher that she wouldn't partake in any of the other two religions classes In our schools, you either choose one; you can't be neutral.

Please, don't tell me children cannot learn African Traditional Worship in schools even if it is their family religion because the Whites introduced formal education to us. Saying that would amount to clearly stating that you worship a "White God". The Supreme Being which I supposed we all subscribe to, irrespective of our religious affiliations, to the best of my knowledge, is a God of KNOWLEDGE. It is Him who gives Wisdom and knowledge.

Before you bother about my religious status, I am not an African Tradional Worshipper. I am just a Nigerian speaking from a rational perspective.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is African Traditional Worship Not Taught In Schools? by royallord1(m): 8:32pm On Oct 03, 2016
honestly speaking.....
if i was in a position to effect change.. even though am a christain i will ensure the growth of our traditional belief..... call for and reenforce the traditional worship committee. modenize where possible.. expose them to the world.... and create public holidays to mark them and as such invite the world to celebrate with us and make some cool foriegn exchange...
do you knw how thrilling it would be for those white dudes to witness a sango or ogun event... when their history is told and their future foretold... omo the foreign exchange go mad...
if possibly create a traditional village.. if possible harmonise some gods... increase their efficacy... and grow their authority...
there would be pilgrimage to nigeria like that of hajj and christain trip to isreal and rome

2 Likes

Re: Why Is African Traditional Worship Not Taught In Schools? by Rapmoney(m): 8:37pm On Oct 03, 2016
royallord1:
honestly speaking.....
if i was in a position to effect change.. even though am a christain i will ensure the growth of our traditional belief..... call for and reenforce the committee. modenize where possible.. expose them to the world.... and create public holidays to mark them and as such invite the world to celebrate with us and make some cool foriegn exchange...
do you knw how thrilling it would be for those white dudes to witness a sango or ogun event... when their history is told and their future foretold... omo the foreign exchange go mad...
if possibly create a traditional village.. if possible harmonise sime gods... increase their efficacy... and grow their authority...
there would be pilgrimage to nigeria like that of hajj and christain trip to isreal and rome
Yet, the governments use these festivals as tourist attractions to generate income.

1 Like

Re: Why Is African Traditional Worship Not Taught In Schools? by eph12(m): 8:39pm On Oct 03, 2016
You can as well ask people to dress as our traditional fore fathers did. We can get rid of our modern houses cars and other luxury that the white man brought with his religion. We shouldn't even go to school in the first place.
Re: Why Is African Traditional Worship Not Taught In Schools? by Rapmoney(m): 8:50pm On Oct 03, 2016
eph12:
You can as well ask people to dress as our traditional fore fathers did. We can get rid of our modern houses cars and other luxury that the white man brought with his religion. We shouldn't even go to school in the first place.
That's a slavish mentality!

So you think you are inferior to the whites because they gave you 'formal education'?

Really, people worship 'white god' and not the Supreme Being.
Re: Why Is African Traditional Worship Not Taught In Schools? by Nobody: 8:52pm On Oct 03, 2016
eph12:
who told you the whiteman brought houses its seems you where leaving in the bush till the white man came and put you and your family in the house or modern house as you call it......congrats sha

2 Likes

Re: Why Is African Traditional Worship Not Taught In Schools? by AngelAhnie(f): 8:53pm On Oct 03, 2016
What is there to learn, I don't think I want to know more about our tradition as an adult not to talk kids.
Re: Why Is African Traditional Worship Not Taught In Schools? by Dilijingsly(m): 8:55pm On Oct 03, 2016
eph12:
Culture is the custom and costumes ,character and characteristics ,manner and mannerisms. of people's way of life
Culture is the way of peoples life.The Europeans brought to us their own traditional religion and will concur to it which is very bad we can still learn our traditional religion.

1 Like

Re: Why Is African Traditional Worship Not Taught In Schools? by Nobody: 9:01pm On Oct 03, 2016
AngelAhnie:
What is there to learn, I don't think I want to know more about our tradition as an adult not to talk kids.
my dear sister for once study about your culture and traditions then judge within you if all you have been told is a lie or if its the truth you have been told about the traditions and cultures of your forefathers

1 Like

Re: Why Is African Traditional Worship Not Taught In Schools? by eph12(m): 9:05pm On Oct 03, 2016
stephenmorris:
who told you the whiteman brought houses its seems you where leaving in the bush till the white man came and put you and your family in the house or modern house as you call it......congrats sha
You don't know the difference between the kind of houses we had then and the ones we have now? Did you not see modern in my comment before you decided let out your frustrations?

1 Like

Re: Why Is African Traditional Worship Not Taught In Schools? by eph12(m): 9:11pm On Oct 03, 2016
Dilijingsly:
Culture is the custom and costumes ,character and characteristics ,manner and mannerisms. of people's way of life
Culture is the way of peoples life.The Europeans brought to us their own traditional religion and will concur to it which is very bad we can still learn our traditional religion.
You don't know "culture" as a topic is treated in schools? If it's culture you are talking about it is there in the schools curriculum. If kids/people choose not to follow their cultures religiously it's not because they were not taught or don't know but because they don't want to.

1 Like

Re: Why Is African Traditional Worship Not Taught In Schools? by Nobody: 9:11pm On Oct 03, 2016
eph12:

You don't know the difference between the kind of houses we had then and the ones we have now? Did you not see modern in my comment before you decided let out your frustrations?
have you read of great zimbabwe ,what about the great benin kingdom or the beautiful kanem bornu empire how the roads were made beautiful or what about the shongai empire or the ancient beauty of timbuktu before it was destroyed by the french empire or the beauty of the kongo empire ,go and read about your history, brother
Re: Why Is African Traditional Worship Not Taught In Schools? by eph12(m): 9:15pm On Oct 03, 2016
Rapmoney:
That's a slavish mentality!

So you think you are inferior to the whites because they gave you 'formal education'?

Really, people worship 'white god' and not the Supreme Being.
Do you have a car? If no do you not desire to have one some day? If yes are you being inferior to the whites?
Re: Why Is African Traditional Worship Not Taught In Schools? by Rapmoney(m): 9:39pm On Oct 03, 2016
Dilijingsly:
Some schools even tell teachers not to wear cultural attires on Fridays; they must all dress in suits and strangling ties!
Re: Why Is African Traditional Worship Not Taught In Schools? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Oct 03, 2016
eph12:

Do you have a car? If no do you not desire to have one some day? If yes are you being inferior to the whites?
this is not about inferiority its about culture and traditions thats all,if not why did the english people pick the english alphabets from the greek language,its about sharing not been inferior

1 Like

Re: Why Is African Traditional Worship Not Taught In Schools? by Rapmoney(m): 10:16pm On Oct 03, 2016
eph12:

My guy, what does car have to do with religious/cultural superiority-inferiority?
Re: Why Is African Traditional Worship Not Taught In Schools? by Rapmoney(m): 10:20pm On Oct 03, 2016
stephenmorris:
my dear sister for once study about your culture and traditions then judge within you if all you have been told is a lie or if its the truth you have been told about the traditions and cultures of your forefathers
Lol, she doesn't even know that people study African Cultures in the lands of the very people whose religious culture many of us see as superior to ours

1 Like

Re: Why Is African Traditional Worship Not Taught In Schools? by Rapmoney(m): 10:28pm On Oct 03, 2016
stephenmorris:
this is not about inferiority its about culture and traditions thats all,if not why did the english people pick the english alphabets from the greek language,its about sharing not been inferior
That's a good point. People had been writing in Egypt even before people started writing in Europe. The whites have time and over again, confessed to that. This is the same mentality that has made our movie industry to portray our religion and culture in the most negative way they could be portrayed.
Re: Why Is African Traditional Worship Not Taught In Schools? by Rapmoney(m): 10:31pm On Oct 03, 2016
olawalebabs, Fynestboi, Richiez cool
Re: Why Is African Traditional Worship Not Taught In Schools? by Nobody: 1:13am On Oct 04, 2016
angry When I see people clamouring for the revival of our traditions, I'm like "How as the tradition and culture itself moved your lives forward?" It is only God that has kept you, and He His still the One keeping you.
The only relevance of our culture is in the area of moral teachings, all other things embedded in culture are devilish. You'll see people making rituals, Killing humans all in the name of culture,.
When you tour some parts of the country, or you listen to people speak and you hear the kinds of things they practice, the kinds of laws the people abide by due to their customs and traditions, you will hate culture.
Thank God for civilisation.
Re: Why Is African Traditional Worship Not Taught In Schools? by Rapmoney(m): 5:23am On Oct 04, 2016
Victurh:
angry When I see people clamouring for the revival of our traditions, I'm like "How as the tradition and culture itself moved your lives forward?" It is only God that has kept you, and He His still the One keeping you.
The only relevance of our culture is in the area of moral teachings, all other things embedded in culture are devilish. You'll see people making rituals, Killing humans all in the name of culture,.
When you tour some parts of the country, or you listen to people speak and you hear the kinds of things they practice, the kinds of laws the people abide by due to their customs and traditions, you will hate culture.
Thank God for civilisation.
Are you thanking God for civilization? I laugh.

Now, the killings and other criminal things you have been hearing, who carries them out? Are these criminal activities not done by the same people that have embraced these foreign religious practices?

To be honest with you, being religious does not make you righteous! Nigerians are just unnecessarily over-religious. Who occupies the drinking parlors and brothels on Sunday evening? Are they not the same people found in different religious houses during the week? Did they come out from shrines?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

5 Studying Mistakes Students Make And The Remedies / List Of Free Adult Education Study Centers In Abia State... / I Want To Study Mechatronics Engineering At Birmingham University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.