Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,128 members, 7,811,184 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:32 AM

Sunderland Vs Liverpool On Saturday October 17th, 2009, [ 1-0] - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Sunderland Vs Liverpool On Saturday October 17th, 2009, [ 1-0] (1536 Views)

Poll: Who Grabs The Three points?

Sunderland: 0% (0 votes)
Liverpool: 66% (2 votes)
Draw: 33% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Sunderland Vs Manchester United (2 - 1) On 13th February 2016 / Manchester Utd vs Liverpool On 19th Sept: 3 - 2! / Aston Villa - Chelsea On Saturday October 17th [2-1] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sunderland Vs Liverpool On Saturday October 17th, 2009, [ 1-0] by mukina2: 4:16pm On Oct 16, 2009
Vs[img]http://3.bp..com/_1pR541BOT3I/Rm2I7iPVfuI/AAAAAAAAAGg/CfIWVQXtyKQ/s320/sunderland-logo.jpg[/img]

The International break came at a disastrous time for Steve Bruce and Sunderland as the club looked to be building up momentum after a stunning result away at Old Trafford, the home of Manchester United. Sunderland were incredible against the ‘Red Devils’ and they nearly got their just rewards before a late Anton Ferdinand own goal tore apart Sunderland hearts. Still, there were half-a-dozen positives to take from that game, none more so then their attacking prowess that day which seen them terrorise a usually reliable United defence and score twice past a nervous Ben Foster. Sunderland pushed United all the way and they would have been fully deserving of the three points had they have held on until the bitter end.
The ‘Black Cats’ have never welcomed Liverpool with open arms, especially as the ‘Reds’ have won on their previous three visits to The Stadium of Light. However, several big players have come in since and Sunderland look a totally different proposition from the side that lost 1-0 to Liverpool last season. Darren Bent & Kenwyn Jones are playing with an attacking swagger, Lee Cattermole has reinforced what was a weak midfield, while the defence is finally showing a bit of defensive commitment, sticking men behind the ball and they aren’t scared to get a block in when needed.
A small downer for Steve Bruce is the fact that Kenwyn Jones has had to endure a length flight back to England from Trinidad, which could leave him slightly jet-lagged and out-of-sorts with the surroundings. Darren Bent will still remain a handful but if Steve Bruce does have to leave Jones out then you can’t help but think that Sunderland might not have enough fire-power going forward to trouble Liverpool.Zenden,the former Liverpool man is awaiting international clearance, but he could very well feature against his former club.

Rafael Benitez has never been too fond of letting his players go for International duty as he always seems to end up with a half-beaten squad. Well, this week has been no different as both Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres, two of Liverpool’s more influential players, have both returned to Melwood with knocks. Neither participated in midweek for their countries, with Gerrard returning particularly early, but the fact remains that Benitez might have to field a team consisting off players with niggles and low fitness levels. That’s never a good formula, especially in away encounters.A defeat to a fellow rival is never easy to digest but the irony is that the International break came at the perfect time for Mr. Benitez, with the players allowed time to drown their Chelsea sorrows and recover, mentally, in time for their next big league clash. It’s now three defeats in eight for Liverpool this season, two of which have come on the road, with London posing somewhat of a voodoo for Liverpool this term with defeats at Tottenham and Chelsea. It’s imperative that Liverpool put their recent woes behind them and concentrate on getting back to winning ways, sooner rather than later. A trip to Sunderland isn’t the best but it’s one they simply have to take.
Re: Sunderland Vs Liverpool On Saturday October 17th, 2009, [ 1-0] by tayoccu(m): 4:27pm On Oct 16, 2009
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

so we no get 'correct' liverfluke fan for nairaland?

pity *shakes head*
Re: Sunderland Vs Liverpool On Saturday October 17th, 2009, [ 1-0] by mukina2: 5:32pm On Oct 16, 2009
close your eyes grin grin
Re: Sunderland Vs Liverpool On Saturday October 17th, 2009, [ 1-0] by tayoccu(m): 5:39pm On Oct 16, 2009
sorry ma!
I won't do dat again grin
Re: Sunderland Vs Liverpool On Saturday October 17th, 2009, [ 1-0] by mykali(m): 6:21pm On Oct 16, 2009
this match is very unpredictable

Bent is unstoppable these days. he will surely score.
Re: Sunderland Vs Liverpool On Saturday October 17th, 2009, [ 1-0] by illusion2: 10:42pm On Oct 16, 2009
tayoccu:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

so we no get 'correct' liverfluke fan for nairaland?

pity *shakes head*
We do have genuine liverpool fans my friend. . . I'll be taking up this responsibility from next match day . . . . . . .Mukina kindly agreed to help with this for this weekend  tongue

As per the game itself. . . its a forgone conclusion,we'll win Sunderland and reclaim our Top 4 place  wink  cool
[center]
[size=15pt]
YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE kiss kiss kiss
[/size][/center]
Re: Sunderland Vs Liverpool On Saturday October 17th, 2009, [ 1-0] by duduspace(m): 1:40am On Oct 17, 2009
@Mukina2

Thank you so much for bailing this once great club out. It is a noble thing for yu to help them out until they are back on their feet again.
Re: Sunderland Vs Liverpool On Saturday October 17th, 2009, [ 1-0] by illusion2: 4:01pm On Oct 17, 2009
HT Sunderland 1 : 0 Liverpool undecided

Of all the freakish goals a team can concede?

A f@cking balloon ?? shocked shocked shocked shocked

Im sure we'll come back from this but I feel the boys were kinda lethargic in the first half. . . . . . . . in comes Mr Mascherano I hope

[center][size=17pt]

YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE kiss kiss kiss
[/size][/center]
Re: Sunderland Vs Liverpool On Saturday October 17th, 2009, [ 1-0] by Jairzinho(m): 4:08pm On Oct 17, 2009
We should win this game. . . . .Im not happy with the selection. . .3 central defenders for heaven's sake??
Re: Sunderland Vs Liverpool On Saturday October 17th, 2009, [ 1-0] by Krayola(m): 4:16pm On Oct 17, 2009
Sloppy from Bent. Had already done the hard work. shoulda been 2-0. Seems Liverpool is the team that might make way for Citeh. cool
Re: Sunderland Vs Liverpool On Saturday October 17th, 2009, [ 1-0] by mykali(m): 4:49pm On Oct 17, 2009
Chelsea have hope where Liverpool is around grin
Re: Sunderland Vs Liverpool On Saturday October 17th, 2009, [ 1-0] by Krayola(m): 4:55pm On Oct 17, 2009
I think it's safe to say Liverpool will never win the Premiership under Benitez
Re: Sunderland Vs Liverpool On Saturday October 17th, 2009, [ 1-0] by Krayola(m): 4:59pm On Oct 17, 2009
3 points for Sunderland.  Liverpool's 4th defeat so far this season.

The EPL table is going to look very different at the end of the season. Nobody come sell groundnut again
Re: Sunderland Vs Liverpool On Saturday October 17th, 2009, [ 1-0] by chic2pimp(m): 5:08pm On Oct 17, 2009
Krayola:

I think it's safe to say Liverpool will never win the Premiership under Benitez
That's for sure. This ain't like valencia where he had a great team.
Re: Sunderland Vs Liverpool On Saturday October 17th, 2009, [ 1-0] by Krayola(m): 5:09pm On Oct 17, 2009
Just saw the replay of Bent's goal. Ref shouldn't have given it. Ball deflected off a beach ball that had landed on the pitch.

Regardless, Liverpool did not deserve a win
Re: Sunderland Vs Liverpool On Saturday October 17th, 2009, [ 1-0] by chic2pimp(m): 5:19pm On Oct 17, 2009
No Torres, No Gerrard, No Liverpool Simple.
Re: Sunderland Vs Liverpool On Saturday October 17th, 2009, [ 1-0] by kaypumpin2(m): 5:50pm On Oct 17, 2009
Y.N.W.A

[b]Y[/b]ou [b]N[/b]ervously [b]W[/b]alk [b]A[/b]lone grin
Re: Sunderland Vs Liverpool On Saturday October 17th, 2009, [ 1-0] by illusion2: 6:04pm On Oct 17, 2009
Really sad game. .  , apart from the balloon brouhaha,we didn't create any serious chances & as angry as it may sound,I think Rafa needs to move on. . .this is Liverpool,not some mid table team. . . . .

He's had sufficient time to turn things around & has sadly come up short. . . *sad,sad*  embarassed
Re: Sunderland Vs Liverpool On Saturday October 17th, 2009, [ 1-0] by mukina2: 6:33pm On Oct 17, 2009
kay_pumpin:

Y.N.W.A

[b]Y[/b]ou [b]N[/b]ervously [b]W[/b]alk [b]A[/b]lone grin
grin grin grin
Re: Sunderland Vs Liverpool On Saturday October 17th, 2009, [ 1-0] by Cristalz(f): 8:05pm On Oct 17, 2009
When I said it some weeks ago they were fighting me. grin

Rafa has got no creativity. . .no ideas. He relies too heavily on Torres and Gerrard.
Today Torres and Gerrard were absent. No effective plan B.

Sunderland played way better. Too bad they had to rely on a balloon to do the finishing for them. grin
Re: Sunderland Vs Liverpool On Saturday October 17th, 2009, [ 1-0] by illusion2: 10:04pm On Oct 17, 2009
Cristalz:

When I said it some weeks ago they were fighting me. grin

Rafa has got no creativity. . .no ideas. He relies too heavily on Torres and Gerrard.

Sunderland played way better. Too bad they had to rely on a balloon to do the finishing for them. grin
No one was fighting you my dear. . . . you were insinuating that MANURE was a perfect team while The Mighty Reds had issues tongue
Re: Sunderland Vs Liverpool On Saturday October 17th, 2009, [ 1-0] by duduspace(m): 11:05pm On Oct 17, 2009
@illusion2

This is not meant to be tongue in cheek but I just dey watch match of the day and if the highlights are anything to go by, it seems it was a beat down for yu people by Sunderland today, see all the one on ones sunderland lost.
Re: Sunderland Vs Liverpool On Saturday October 17th, 2009, [ 1-0] by call4shola(m): 11:40pm On Oct 17, 2009
You'll never self-service alone. I feel for Rafa, guesss he is wanking alone now, too many losses in 2 consecutive games, hope they make the top 4,
Re: Sunderland Vs Liverpool On Saturday October 17th, 2009, [ 1-0] by illusion2: 1:36am On Oct 18, 2009
call4shola link=topic=338642.[s:
msg4754558#msg4754558 date=1255819238]
You'll never self-service alone. I feel for Rafa, guesss he is wanking alone now, too many losses in 2 consecutive games, hope they make the top 4,
naughty,naughty shocked shocked
Re: Sunderland Vs Liverpool On Saturday October 17th, 2009, [ 1-0] by EARLMAGIC: 2:32pm On Oct 18, 2009
Oops we did it again.
I do not know about you guys but I am long suffering fans of Liverpool. I was too young to really savour the initial sucsess of the early 80's but really suffrered in the 90's.

I hardly get joined in arguments with Chelsea and Arsenal fans as most of them are "follow follow fans" who cannot date Chelsea beyond abramovich or know what Arsenal was before Wenger.

Back to Liverpool this is a very bad start to the season. The last team to win the league losing 4 of the first nine matches is liverpool. I dare to believe but the squad is not strong. The loss of Alonso is massive and we really do not know what Aquillani will offer us. Italians cane be temperamental outside of Italy. We let Keane go and brought back Voronin, He is not a match winner. Carragher is not getting Younger and Glen Johnsons attacking ambitions have exposed Carraghers failings even more. We need to start winning and winning soon and this has to be home to Lyon in the champions League, and Manu away.
The motto remains "Pride Passions Power and Glory"
u"ll never walk alone"
Re: Sunderland Vs Liverpool On Saturday October 17th, 2009, [ 1-0] by BinghiNya(m): 3:27pm On Oct 18, 2009
Liverpool will wake up after serial raping by United and Lyon. grin
Re: Sunderland Vs Liverpool On Saturday October 17th, 2009, [ 1-0] by rasputinn(m): 4:03pm On Oct 18, 2009
Hey scousers,was just passing through,but I saw a visitor here and had to drop in to tatafo that he referred to y'all as loserpool on another thread grin grin grin

sorry sorry ooo
Re: Sunderland Vs Liverpool On Saturday October 17th, 2009, [ 1-0] by rasputinn(m): 4:09pm On Oct 18, 2009
Cristalz:

Of course there was an effective plan B,only that it was against the scousers,yes,plan B or plan Balloon,it's one and the same thingy
Re: Sunderland Vs Liverpool On Saturday October 17th, 2009, [ 1-0] by illusion2: 5:25pm On Oct 18, 2009
EARLMAGIC:

Oops we did it again.
I do not know about you guys but I am long suffering fans of Liverpool. I was too young to really savour the initial sucsess of the early 80's but really suffrered in the 90's.I hardly get joined in arguments with Chelsea and Arsenal fans as most of them are "follow follow fans" who cannot date Chelsea beyond abramovich or know what Arsenal was before Wenger.
Back to Liverpool this is a very bad start to the season. The last team to win the league losing 4 of the first nine matches is liverpool. I dare to believe but the squad is not strong. The loss of Alonso is massive and we really do not know what Aquillani will offer us. Italians cane be temperamental outside of Italy. We let Keane go and brought back Voronin, He is not a match winner. Carragher is not getting Younger and Glen Johnsons attacking ambitions have exposed Carraghers failings even more. We need to start winning and winning soon and this has to be home to Lyon in the champions League, and Manu away.
The motto remains "Pride Passions Power and Glory"
u"ll never walk alone"
Welcome my friend,please join us on the Mighty Reds thread ,as you have rightly identified most of the MANURE,GONER & ABRAHAMOVICH supporters know very little about genuine club loyalty . . . .you're spot on with your analysis. . . see you soon on the Liverpool thread. smiley

As always

[center]YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE  wink wink[/center]
Re: Sunderland Vs Liverpool On Saturday October 17th, 2009, [ 1-0] by txxxed(m): 7:41pm On Oct 18, 2009
I am not a Liverpool fan, but the match against Sunderland really gave me much to think about in football.
We should play the game fair right, but how fair was the goal Bent scored yesterday to beat Liverpool. A ball deflected from an object thrown unto the pitch, i think the referee should have disallowed that goal.
What do you guys think?

Read more at www.gamegist.com
Re: Sunderland Vs Liverpool On Saturday October 17th, 2009, [ 1-0] by adebayo201: 12:21am On Oct 19, 2009
Short of words
Re: Sunderland Vs Liverpool On Saturday October 17th, 2009, [ 1-0] by EARLMAGIC: 9:23am On Oct 19, 2009
about the Sunderland goal.

The rule of the game says that if there is interference by a foreign object then there should be a "drop ball". Thats the rule, but football will not be the beautiful game that it is if there are no controversies.

I am a liverpool fan and i'm passionate about my club but a dispassionate analyst.

referres make mistakes, some rules are not used daily so they are forgotten.

Lets move on we are a good side and we need to beat Lyon in anfield and then on to Man United.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Laugh With Me (frank Sinclair Own Goals ): / FA Cup Semis + Prize Money / Kevin De Bruyne And Goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois Battle Over A Girl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.