Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:27 PM

Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? (29805 Views)

My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired / Two Nigerians In Dublin Fight Their Landlord Who Wanted To Evict Them (Video) / Eviction, The Tenant And The Law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by oluagness(m): 5:33am On Oct 06, 2016
1. we are planning to grade our street road. each house is to pay #5000. a building is occupied by a tenant, the tenant said his landlord is to pay the money.
who should be responsible for the payment?

2. Notting is working in our area, we have challenges on our transformer often and have to contribute for the maintenance. who should be responsible for this?

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by feldido(m): 5:45am On Oct 06, 2016
The Tenant should be responsible for things like that because they are temporary things.

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by DTOBS(m): 5:51am On Oct 06, 2016
If the landlord is living in the same building with them,he will also make contribution and all other tenants will also do but If he is not living in the place with them, then he has not obligation to join them in the payment...

72 Likes 1 Share

Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by Gboliwe: 5:57am On Oct 06, 2016
Both of them can split the cost. I was at one highbrow street the other day, looking for a house. So, the agent took me there. Fine houses, serene environment. I was excited until i learnt that most of the houses were unoccupied because that street has no light.

The transformer blew since August last year and most tenants felt NEPA demands were too much. As soon as they could, they moved away to another street/environment.

Now, the loss is on the landlords. Most tenants won't rent there.

29 Likes

Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by divinehand2003(m): 6:15am On Oct 06, 2016
In a country where sane humans live with a responsible government, neither the tenant nor Landlord has anything to do with the provision of these social amenities. It's wholly the duty of the government.

However, in a country like ours where the demons of mediocrity and corruption holds sway in the corridors of power, the person who is worse affected by lack of these amenities has to contribute to the cost which can be either the tenant in most cases or the landlord if he also resides there, or both depending on what obtains.

106 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by celestialAgent(m): 6:28am On Oct 06, 2016
what nonsense, will the tenant live there forever?

The tenant that is probably hustling hard to own a house, then you want him to spend on things that will favour him for a short time and favour the landlord on a long run..

It the job of the landlord apparently because he would not hesitate to increase the rent for the next tenant should the facilities be in place.

come to think of it, what if the tenant has no car?

51 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by Nobody: 6:29am On Oct 06, 2016
Who should pay depends on the cost, who lives there and who benefits from the upgrade/repair.

If its a transformer repair for a house that the landlord doesn't live in, then the tenant should pay.

It also depends on the relationship between the landlord and tenant.

There are good and bad tenants and landlords.

2 Likes

Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by Agromuda(m): 6:31am On Oct 06, 2016
Both!!!
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by ERONX(m): 6:31am On Oct 06, 2016
Since both Landlord & tenant would be beneficiaries from the grading of the road & maintenance of the transformer, the expenses for grading the road and maintenance of the transformer should be shared equally between both Landlord & tenant....

1 Like

Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by eph12(m): 6:31am On Oct 06, 2016
feldido:
The Tenant should be responsible for things like that because they are temporary things.

Roads and electricity are not temporary. The tenant can pack out tomorrow.

14 Likes

Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by edlion57(m): 6:31am On Oct 06, 2016
Na house he rented to u or road? pls he is not the governor but ur landlord

6 Likes

Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by photoshoot(m): 6:32am On Oct 06, 2016
Heyy, it is simple. You split the cost

1 Like

Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by VcStunner(m): 6:32am On Oct 06, 2016
The local government.

Even though this is typically wrong in a functioning country, sometimes it's better to work with conscience and get a win-win result. If you want a result, suggest that you split the cost.

1 Like

Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by Echo50(m): 6:32am On Oct 06, 2016
Both of them
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by nymphomaniac(m): 6:33am On Oct 06, 2016
What does the tenancy agreement say? What state are u?. Covenant to pay rates may be inserted in the agreement to favor either the landlord or tenant or may be implied by law depending on the state.

1 Like

Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by Sweetcollins: 6:33am On Oct 06, 2016
Hmmm
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by Kay17: 6:33am On Oct 06, 2016
The graded street road improves the value of the house as a result it is ultimately the responsibility of the landlord. Again the tenant has very limited control over his landlord's property and often requires a written consent from the landlord.

5 Likes

Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by Sweetcollins: 6:34am On Oct 06, 2016
Hmmm, whoever can, should...it's our dear world jare

1 Like

Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by Donniefred(m): 6:35am On Oct 06, 2016
We were told to pay N20k by our landlord to grade our street too.

We no pay shi shi!

3 Likes

Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by emerged01(m): 6:35am On Oct 06, 2016
1 landlord is responsible. You want to grade road/land and he is "land-lord".

2 Government. They are responsible for the maintenance because tenants pay NEPA bills and tax.

6 Likes

Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by yommen: 6:35am On Oct 06, 2016
Gboliwe:
Both of them can split the cost. I was at one highbrow street the other day, looking for a house. So, the agent took me there. Fine houses, serene environment. I was excited until i learnt that most of the houses were unoccupied because that street has no light.

The transformer blew since August last year and most tenants felt NEPA demands were too much. As soon as they could, they moved away to another street/environment.

Now, the loss is on the landlords. Most tenants won't rent there.

That explains why it is landlord's responsibility to pay. They can decide not to pay and their houses will remain vacant. Or what do you think all those other monies they charge should be used for?

3 Likes

Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by babyfaceafrica: 6:36am On Oct 06, 2016
If I am the tenant*m not contributing a dime for the road,will however contribute towards the transformer likewise the landlord
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by Nobody: 6:36am On Oct 06, 2016
on issues like this, as long as the landlord isn't residing there, the tenants does the payment.. but if he is, then you both split the money...

3 Likes

Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by anonimi: 6:37am On Oct 06, 2016
divinehand2003:
In a country where sane humans live with a responsible government, neither the tenant nor Landlord has anything to do with these social amenities. It's wholly the duty of the government.

However, in a country like ours where the demons of mediocrity and corruption holds sway in the corridors of power, the person who is worse affected by lack of these amenities has to contribute to the cost which can be the tenant in most cases or the landlord if he also resides there, or both depending on what obtains.

Mostly, OUR fault as WE look on helplessly while the public servants collect OUR money for doing nothing.
Why are we such mumus

During his first years as a state senator, Obama was a co-sponsor of a bill that re-structured the Illinois welfare program into the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program. He also helped get various pieces of legislation that established a $100 million Earned Income Tax Credit for working families, increased child care subsidies for low-income families, and required advance notice before mass layoffs and plant closings passed.

Extracted from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois_Senate_career_of_Barack_Obama

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3084794_DumbPeople_jpg287f2b4d3ead2f536f99f92cbca9c590

5 Likes

Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by engrjosefz(m): 6:38am On Oct 06, 2016
Tenants
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by KingRex1(m): 6:39am On Oct 06, 2016
In normal cases, its the landlord nd it also depends on the agreement clause.
The lease may be in FRI terms where the cost of full repairs and insurance is borne on the tenant
But if it's a serviced property with service charges paid every rent year, it likely lies in hands of the landlord.
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by NickDirect: 6:40am On Oct 06, 2016
The tenant should be responsible for the payment because he has been given possession of the property for the duration of his rent. If the Landlord is resident in the same said property then the landlord can choose to take responsibility in full or demand that the tenant contributes towards it because I believe the tenant does not move from the property by air.

2 Likes

Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by KINGwax007(m): 6:41am On Oct 06, 2016
Both of 'em
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by Nobody: 6:44am On Oct 06, 2016
Some of the issues that's bedevilled us as a people usually is as a result of disunity and apathy. My Igbo blood thought me that, "Where one is sheltered, he protects the roof from leaking for he will be the one to suffer when it rains".

The tenant(s) should be responsible for the contribution. If however they are lucky the landlord is in the same house with them, he should bear the lion share of the contribution. The light, good road and security within a community is enjoyed by the people resident there so what is the landlord's business if he doesn't stay there?

My take on the matter sha.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by NickDirect: 6:44am On Oct 06, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
If I am the tenant*m not contributing a dime for the road,will however contribute towards the transformer likewise the landlord

Lol... If I was in charge of the road repair I will ensure you there not pass that road again and just remain in the compound you paid rent for.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by anonimi: 6:44am On Oct 06, 2016
emerged01:
1 landlord is responsible. You want to grade road/land and he is "land-lord".

2 Government. They are responsible for the maintenance because tenants pay NEPA bills and tax.

You are assuming that WE actually all pay our TAXES completely & promptly.
Moreover, I hope you understand that whatever the local, state and federal governments collect from others, they do so on OUR behalf as citizens who form the various levels of SOVEREIGNTY.

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/avatars/pcvhprupz53v0i2s3lqkiiftaebf16ps1287728[/img]

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ikoyi Building Collapse: Number Of Survivors Now 15, 42 Dead ― Sanwo-olu / Plan Of My 6 Flat, 2 Bedroom Each. What Do U Think / Universal Hotel, Brothel Shuts In Uyo After 30 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.