Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,562 members, 7,827,102 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:10 AM

Smart Ways To Conduct Yourself During Job Interviews - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Smart Ways To Conduct Yourself During Job Interviews (16067 Views)

5 Ways To Stay Positive During Job Search / 5 Major Mistakes Graduates Make In Their First Job Interviews / How To Act During Job Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Smart Ways To Conduct Yourself During Job Interviews by nmreports: 11:07am On Oct 07, 2016
The following are just few tips I would like to share with you today.

I have been opportune to interview applicants seeking job at my company for sometime now and I would like to share some of the things I felt if they did right would have earned them some space to meet with the Managing director.

One thing you must first have in mind is that if you do not leave a wow effect on your interviewer, it will be difficult for them to even call you back. You want to be remembered after the interview right?.

These are some of the things the people I have interviewed did but left me feeling they are just a wrong fit for the company:

1) Talking too much. When you talk too much, your words lose value.
2) Contradicting yourself; You studied Biology but you applied for a logistics role so I asked why logistics and you said you just love logistics and its what you want to do.
I asked further where you see yourself in 3 years and you said you see yourself as a renowned biologist. Isn't that confusing?.
3) Looking like a rockstar with Baloteli hair style and several hand bands on your wrist.
4) Slouching on the chair. Sitting lazily and in a drooping way.
5) Using buzz words that you don't even know its meaning or at worst your interviewer doesn't even know what it meas.
6) Looking disinterested. Have a sharp countenance on.
7) Walk across the room with power. To do this, make sure your strides are fast but well taken.

As a result of the above, I will like to share some successful interview conducts to help you scale through your next interview.

1) Be confident. This means you act it even if you are not it. Stand tall and let your pace and stride be firm and fast as this makes you appear confident.
2) Dress sharp and stay sharp.
3) Always have a subtle smile on your face. This helps you to ease nervousness.
4) When you enter the room, close the door behind you without looking back.
5) Do not sit until you are asked to do so.
6) Research on the organization and know as much as you can about your interviewer if possible.
7) Ask smart questions if you are asked to.

These tips are things a lot of people do not do at interviews trust me. They are simple tips but it goes a long way.

You might think everyone knows this but I can tell you that out of the 10 people I interviewed this past weeks, none of them acted accordingly.

Find more lovely, practical and helpful tips here: https://humanresourceng..com.ng/

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Smart Ways To Conduct Yourself During Job Interviews by nmreports: 9:43am On Oct 08, 2016
Very difficult to get jobs nowadays so I hope this helps.
We must continually help one another get better.

You could check my past threads too.

4 Likes

Re: Smart Ways To Conduct Yourself During Job Interviews by nmreports: 9:22am On Oct 10, 2016
In number 7 above, I meant not walking across the room with power may not paint you well. Shoulders down looking defeated is a no no.

If you have an interview this week, do the following:

1) Go with a pen.
2) Have a small diary.
3) Place your hands on the table after sitting.
4) Sit straight and look into the interviewers eyes.
5) More importantly, go prepared.
6) Ask for when you should expect a reply.
7) Send an email to say thanks while reiterating your interest.
cool Tell your interviewer you believe you are a good fit for the job and you are positive about it.
9) Describe yourself as a very positive person.
10) Talk about your passions as it relates to the job. If you have evidence, go with them.

1 & 2 makes you look passionate and brilliant.

6 Likes

Re: Smart Ways To Conduct Yourself During Job Interviews by nmreports: 7:46am On Oct 15, 2016
During interview's, it is very important to sell yourself.
It's like a sales pitch. Be convincing and professional yet.

Interviews is not basically to get answers to questions. It is primarily to meet with you and to study if you have the right values and attitude as well as if you are the right fit for the job.
Re: Smart Ways To Conduct Yourself During Job Interviews by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 7:13am On Oct 16, 2016
a little alcohol always helps for those who get freaked out during interviews.
try it and thank me later.

Please i need your help. We're launching a new service to the Nigerian market very soon and we need feedback that will determine how we will implement the service.
Please help us fill this short survey. Its just a few questions, and you'll receive freebies for filling the survey when we launch.
Thanks.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/GD87XVW
Re: Smart Ways To Conduct Yourself During Job Interviews by petrov10: 7:14am On Oct 16, 2016
borin topics these days
Re: Smart Ways To Conduct Yourself During Job Interviews by Orestino(m): 7:14am On Oct 16, 2016
okay
Re: Smart Ways To Conduct Yourself During Job Interviews by dreamworld: 7:14am On Oct 16, 2016
Let's bring lala to the thread, let him ascertain if the thread is worthy of hitting front page

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Smart Ways To Conduct Yourself During Job Interviews by DrHighchief(m): 7:19am On Oct 16, 2016
nmreports:

I have been opportune to interview applicants seeking job at my company for sometime now and I would like to share some of the things I felt if they did right would have earned them some space to meet with the Managing director.

One thing you must first have in mind is that if you do not leave a wow effect on your interviewer, it will be difficult for them to even call you back. You want to be remembered after the interview right?.

These are some of the things the people I have interviewed did but left me feeling they are just a wrong fit for the company:

2) Contradicting yourself; You studied Biology but you applied for a logistics role so I asked why logistics and you said you just love logistics and its what you want to do.
I asked further where you see yourself in 3 years and you said you see yourself as a renowned biologist. Isn't that confusing?.
3) Looking like a rockstar with Baloteli hair style and several hand bands on your wrist.
5) Using buzz words that you don't even know its meaning or at worst your interviewer doesn't even know what it meas.
7) Walk across the room with power. To do this, make sure your strides are fast but well taken.

As a result of the above, I will like to share some successful interview conducts to help you scale through your next interview.

1) Be confident. This means you act it even if you are not it. Stand tall and let your pace and stride be firm and fast as this makes you appear confident.
6) Research on the organization and know as much as you can about your interviewer if possible.

These tips are things a lot of people do not do at interviews trust me. They are simple tips but it goes a long way.

You might think everyone knows this but I can tell you that out of the 10 people I interviewed this past weeks, none of them acted accordingly.

Find more lovely, practical and helpful tips here: https://humanresourceng..com.ng/

Thanks for d writeup. What are some likely questions someone can ask?
Re: Smart Ways To Conduct Yourself During Job Interviews by DrHighchief(m): 7:19am On Oct 16, 2016
Thanks for d writeup. What are some likely questions someone can ask
Re: Smart Ways To Conduct Yourself During Job Interviews by dfrost: 7:20am On Oct 16, 2016
PerfectlyPerfect:
a little alcohol

Alcohol? Do you how the society looks at someone that reeks of alcohol during the day?

Bros this your advice to prospective job seekers no make brain abeg. Haba!
Re: Smart Ways To Conduct Yourself During Job Interviews by davibid: 7:21am On Oct 16, 2016
If at all I took all that you've said seriously

On the other hand where are jobs

Because there's nothing called job that I've not applied for since graduation both online and offline including Buhari's fake N Power and all others...

Buhari where the jobs you promised

1 Like

Re: Smart Ways To Conduct Yourself During Job Interviews by KINGTELLER: 7:31am On Oct 16, 2016
nmreports:
If you have an interview this week, do the following:

1) Go with a pen.
2) Have a small diary.
3) Place your hands on the table after sitting.
4) Sit straight and look into the interviewers eyes.
5) More importantly, go prepared.

1 & 2 makes you look passionate and brilliant.

Place ur hand on the table Some interviewer will term it as being impolite. Secondly, are you permitted to write during interview?
Re: Smart Ways To Conduct Yourself During Job Interviews by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 7:32am On Oct 16, 2016
dfrost:

Alcohol? Do you how the society looks at someone that reeks of alcohol during the day?

Bros this your advice to prospective job seekers no make brain abeg. Haba!
I didn't mean to take it in excess. just a little and you cn always brush when you're done.
Re: Smart Ways To Conduct Yourself During Job Interviews by nmreports: 7:33am On Oct 16, 2016
KINGTELLER:

Place ur hand on the table Some interviewer will term it as being impolite

Its the right thing to do. The ideal thing to do.
It's the etiquette of sitting when being interviewed.
Re: Smart Ways To Conduct Yourself During Job Interviews by Xtopher123(m): 7:38am On Oct 16, 2016
I wish all those seeking Job Success.. But somehow, dunno if it's just me, I don't have the Zeal to Do a Job search..

I've always had this desire to run my own organisation.. Might take me time, but definitely with hardword *Smartwork* I'll get there..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Smart Ways To Conduct Yourself During Job Interviews by nmreports: 7:41am On Oct 16, 2016
DrHighchief:

Thanks for d writeup. What are some likely questions someone can ask

1) You could ask your interviewer: "What kind of person can you not work with". Very smart question.

2) "Do you think I have the right values to work with you". Go further to say he or she can count on you to do a great job.

3) You could ask "What basic challenge are they currently facing because in case you are taken, you would like to ensure thats your first responsibility".

Genuine questions that doesn't look practiced gets HR folks talking.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Smart Ways To Conduct Yourself During Job Interviews by johndwayy(m): 7:42am On Oct 16, 2016
Thanks for this info..
Re: Smart Ways To Conduct Yourself During Job Interviews by bana91(m): 7:47am On Oct 16, 2016
petrov10:
borin topics these days
as you can see the post is meant for the educated ones
Re: Smart Ways To Conduct Yourself During Job Interviews by TheOonlyOne: 7:48am On Oct 16, 2016
Nice tips there... See more insurance tips at https://www.nairaland.com/283293/job-insurance-tips
Re: Smart Ways To Conduct Yourself During Job Interviews by casttlebarbz(m): 7:52am On Oct 16, 2016
The alcohol advice got me cracking ....mayb some puff of s.k might also b of help
Re: Smart Ways To Conduct Yourself During Job Interviews by dfrost: 7:56am On Oct 16, 2016
PerfectlyPerfect:

I didn't mean to take it in excess. just a little and you cn always brush when you're done.

Brush mouth, take peppermint, tom tom, baba blue, mouth rinse et al. Alcohol will still be perceived. Better avoid it totally before the interview.
Re: Smart Ways To Conduct Yourself During Job Interviews by danielsmith(m): 7:56am On Oct 16, 2016
bana91:
as you can see the post is meant for the educated ones
Re: Smart Ways To Conduct Yourself During Job Interviews by xtivin(m): 7:58am On Oct 16, 2016
Argue with them if the oppurtunity arise,but don't be rude and make sure you are certain of the subject.Try leave something positive at the tablet of thier heart
Re: Smart Ways To Conduct Yourself During Job Interviews by EnEnPeecee: 8:33am On Oct 16, 2016
Orestino:
okay
tongue tongue tongue undecided undecided
Re: Smart Ways To Conduct Yourself During Job Interviews by EnEnPeecee: 8:36am On Oct 16, 2016
dreamworld:
Let's bring lala to the thread, let him ascertain if the thread is worthy of hitting front page
oh so lala is now a snake undecided undecided undecided
Re: Smart Ways To Conduct Yourself During Job Interviews by Chuksnwafor1985: 8:41am On Oct 16, 2016
what would you do with the pen and writing materialsIs it polite to write while d interview is on?tnks broda...God bless u
Re: Smart Ways To Conduct Yourself During Job Interviews by onward4life(m): 9:18am On Oct 16, 2016
nmreports:

Abeg yu in the Name of Heaven. Help Me.

MAY WE MEET YOU. ??

Hw du I start pls.

Thanks
Re: Smart Ways To Conduct Yourself During Job Interviews by Nobody: 9:29am On Oct 16, 2016
Nice
Re: Smart Ways To Conduct Yourself During Job Interviews by Bhenehdikt(m): 9:34am On Oct 16, 2016
During an interview, your hands should be on your lap. Your file should on your left hand on your lap,while your right hand should be free in case of gesture.
The reason while your file should be on your left hand side is because whenever you want to bring out any document from your file,you'll use your right hand and not your left,if the file is on your right hand side,it wouldn't make much sense that way..

If your hands are on the table,where would your files be? On your supposed employers table? If you say the files will be on your lap when your hands are on the table,don't you think the files might fall off? Wouldn't you feel comfortable with your hand on your file? Think about it.

6 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

Coming To Lagos For Opportunities! / More Writers Are Needed For Long-term Project / Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.