Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,355 members, 7,815,756 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:43 PM

THE SABBATH ÐAÝ: Saturday Or Sunday? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / THE SABBATH ÐAÝ: Saturday Or Sunday? (608 Views)

Saturday Or Sunday? Which One Is The Real Sabbath Day As Stated In The Bible? / Which Day Is Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday? / Which Day Is The Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

THE SABBATH ÐAÝ: Saturday Or Sunday? by Ebiezprada(m): 10:14am On Oct 08, 2016
Hello ladies and gentlemen, this has been an issue on my mind for sometime now.
I've always known sunday to be the first day of the week and saturday to be the seventh day of the week and according to the holy bible, God rested on the seventh day after His work of creation for six days.
Over time, I've heard preachers say sunday is the sabbath day while there are churches who actually worship on saturdays and claim it to be the ideal sabbath day.
I need your ideas and thoughts with reasons on which day you think is the ideal sabbath day.
Re: THE SABBATH ÐAÝ: Saturday Or Sunday? by Scholar8200(m): 11:31am On Oct 08, 2016
Ebiezprada:
Hello ladies and gentlemen, this has been an issue on my mind for sometime now.
I've always known sunday to be the first day of the week and saturday to be the seventh day of the week and according to the holy bible, God rested on the seventh day after His work of creation for six days.
Over time, I've heard preachers say sunday is the sabbath day while there are churches who actually worship on saturdays and claim it to be the ideal sabbath day.
I need your ideas and thoughts with reasons on which day you think is the ideal sabbath day.
The sabbath you find in the law is Saturday.

The sabbath was mentioned in Genesis 2:1,2; and was also integrated into the law for the Israelites Exodus 20:8. But note that at NO time was the sabbath observed by Abraham yet he, inherited the promise, was declared righteous by faith etc

The poster below falsely claims Abraham kept the sabbath but cannot prove this. Before the law, there is NO evidence that anyone kept the sabbath! At least circumcision was given and we have details of how Abraham did it!

Besides, the law had its role: Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster. Gal. 3:24,25

However, neither Jesus nor the Apostles commanded keeping of the sabbaths as a requirement for salvation. In fact the above must have been the reason why the Church met on sunday, the day of Christ's resurrection which they called the Lord's day.

I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet, Revelation 1:10 See Acts 20:7 and 1 Corinth 16:2,3 (also see for better understanding of Lord's day http://biblehub.com/commentaries/revelation/1-10.htm)

Others like Enoch, Noah etc what we find is that they walked with God, just like Abraham, by faith!

Bare this in mind:

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of[b[size=18pt] the sabbath days:[/size]

17 Which [size=18pt]are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.[/size][/b]

Colossians 2:16,17

Anyone who claims to keep the sabbath today(as found in the law) but does not keep the other sabbaths(there are others in the law too) is deceiving himself in the midst of a great misunderstanding.

1 Like

Re: THE SABBATH ÐAÝ: Saturday Or Sunday? by DoctorAlien(m): 3:13pm On Oct 08, 2016
Ebiezprada,

The Sabbath day is Saturday. There is no doubt as to its identity.

The Sabbath institution is as old as Creation. It certainly predates Sinai. GOD gave the Sabbath to Adam in Eden. All the holy men of GOD, from Adam to Seth, to Methuselah, to Enoch, all kept the Sabbath day. Contrary to the assertion of the poster above me, Abraham kept GOD's law(See Genesis 26:5). The Sabbath was a part of the law he kept.

We Christians keep the law not to be saved, but because we are saved. We also try not to disobey this law because we will be judged by it(James 2:12). We are justified by faith, but not by faith alone, because faith without works is dead(James 2:14).

Jesus commanded us to keep the law. In fact, teaching men to disregard the law is a great offence in the sight of GOD.(Matt.5:17-19). Jesus himself kept the Sabbath(Luke :16). Wouldn't you like to be like Jesus?

There is only one day which GOD called His own: the Sabbath day(Isa. 58:13). John was in Spirit on the Sabbath day.
Re: THE SABBATH ÐAÝ: Saturday Or Sunday? by DoctorAlien(m): 4:00pm On Oct 08, 2016
It is worthy of note that Paul, whom some people constantly misquote just to support their unbiblical notion actually kept the Sabbath day too(Acts 17:2).

Would Paul keep the Sabbath day and then tell us not to keep it? You know the answer to this question.

In the light of this, we see that in Col. 2:16-17, Paul was talking about ceremonial laws and rites. Apart from the Seventh-day Sabbath(Saturday), which is a part of the moral law, there are other Sabbaths with the Jews kept. They included jubilees, feasts(of booths, etc), the seventh-year sabbath, etc. However, these were ceremonial, and not a part of the distinct 10 Commandments.

Included in these ceremonial rites are commandments concerning foods and drinks. These were all nailed to the cross, as they were pointing to Christ.

Ask yourself, if we are now free from the law, are we to kill, steal, fornicate, bow down to images, take GOD's name in vain, covet, and lie?

If not, where are these commands explicitly stated?
Re: THE SABBATH ÐAÝ: Saturday Or Sunday? by Medicis(m): 4:10pm On Oct 08, 2016
Scholar8200:
The sabbath you find in the law is Saturday.

The sabbath was mentioned in Genesis 2:1,2; and was also integrated into the law for the Israelites Exodus 20:8. But note that at NO time was the sabbath observed by Abraham yet he, inherited the promise, was declared righteous by faith etc

The poster below falsely claims Abraham kept the sabbath but cannot prove this. Before the law, there is NO evidence that anyone kept the sabbath! At least circumcision was given and we have details of how Abraham did it!

Besides, the law had its role: Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster. Gal. 3:24,25

However, neither Jesus nor the Apostles commanded keeping of the sabbaths as a requirement for salvation. In fact the above must have been the reason why the Church met on sunday, the day of Christ's resurrection which they called the Lord's day.

I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet, Revelation 1:10 See Acts 20:7 and 1 Corinth 16:2,3 (also see for better understanding of Lord's day http://biblehub.com/commentaries/revelation/1-10.htm)

Others like Enoch, Noah etc what we find is that they walked with God, just like Abraham, by faith!

Bare this in mind:

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of[b[size=18pt] the sabbath days:[/size]

17 Which [size=18pt]are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.[/size][/b]

Colossians 2:16,17

Anyone who claims to keep the sabbath today(as found in the law) but does not keep the other sabbaths(there are others in the law too) is deceiving himself in the midst of a great misunderstanding.

1000 likes Bro!!!
Re: THE SABBATH ÐAÝ: Saturday Or Sunday? by DoctorAlien(m): 4:15pm On Oct 08, 2016
Moreover, just a little research on the origin of the observance of Sunday will make it clear that it has its root in paganism.

GOD Himself came to down to this earth just to communicate the 10 Commandments to Israel. GOD actually spoke the 10 Commandments with His own lips, and all Israel heard. GOD then says, "My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips." Psa. 89:34.

In the light of this verse, do you think anybody can change anything in the 10 Commandments which GOD spoke with His own lips? Or do you think any man can demote the 10 Commandments from the exalted position in which GOD has kept it?
Re: THE SABBATH ÐAÝ: Saturday Or Sunday? by DoctorAlien(m): 4:30pm On Oct 08, 2016
Saint Paul urges us in 1 Cor. 4:16 to imitate him.

Again, Paul urges us in 1 Cor. 11:1 to imitate him, just as he imitated Christ.

Now, if we are to imitate Paul(and ultimately Christ), are we not to keep the Sabbath, just as Paul did(Acts 17:2)?
Re: THE SABBATH ÐAÝ: Saturday Or Sunday? by Ebiezprada(m): 9:46pm On Oct 08, 2016
Thanks folks for your diligent replies.......more suggestions please!

(1) (Reply)

Sexual Sin, The Harsh Truth / Does Failure To Pay Tithe Lead Someone To Hell-lookingfly / Are Ghosts Real? We Spill The Beans For You! (terrifying)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.