Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,493 members, 7,819,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:56 PM

Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? - Music/Radio (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? (14319 Views)

African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? / Why Isn't The Radio Rocking No More?/ How Will They Stop Downloads Etc: / Can I Download Nigerian Music From the Internet? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by naijadiva2(f): 1:16am On Nov 14, 2007
i think a music need to be original to make it in the world market like malian,senegalese,and congolese.nowaday nigerians artists are too influenced by r&b and rap with bad english accent lol.

exactly. if you hear a conglese, senegalese, or malian music, you'll know its african music but nigerians copy to much from what they think hip hop/r&b is. it took me a while to get past the accent before i stared to like nigerian music. i grew up listening to old traditional nigerian music with my father and sometimes prefer it more to the more recent music.
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by fakedavid: 1:23am On Nov 14, 2007
naija_diva:

exactly. if you hear a conglese, senegalese, or malian music, you'll know its african music but nigerians copy to much from what they think hip hop/r&b is. it took me a while to get past the accent before i stared to like nigerian music. i grew up listening to old traditional nigerian music with my father and sometimes prefer it more to the more recent music.

Go and sing your own - u this croaky voiced toad.
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by naijadiva2(f): 1:34am On Nov 14, 2007
don't be mad cuz i'm telling the truth. until they get internationally known outside the nigerian community, then you can speak.
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by Ndipe(m): 1:40am On Nov 16, 2007
Hands down@naijadiva, that's what I am also thinking. Youssou N'dour is one of the famous musicians from Africa. From your comment, which I do agree, my take is that our musicians are perhaps trying too hard to incorporate foreign music into our beat. We are known for doing so. Look at the literary forum and read one of the comments from some guy, who in a bid to reach an international audience is incorporating foreign settings in his novels. I mean for what?
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by Ndipe(m): 3:20am On Jul 03, 2009
TayoD:

@Ndipe,

I was surprised you mentioned Shade Adu without saying anything about the Grammy Award Winner, SEAL.  You have also left out Tunde of the Lighthouse Family. 

Femi Kuti and Lagbaja are unique Nigerian Brands that are doing very well internationally.

Seal? What remix does he play? Trado Nigerian music or mainstream music? As for Lagbaja, is he popular in the USA? Note, I am not trying to diss any of the musicians. One might say that traditional nigerian music might not be accepted in the mainstream, but look at Youssou who is perhaps the most famous musician from Africa. His beat is derived from his culture. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youssou_N'Dour
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by chiogo(f): 11:34pm On Jul 03, 2009
@topic, who knows

Although a lot of people here know "African queen", I doubt many of them know it was sung by a Nigerian.
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by Ndipe(m): 9:42pm On Jul 06, 2009
And what's the name of the Nigerian musician who wrote the African Queen?

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com//index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13608&Itemid=55
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by brooklyn99: 2:16pm On Dec 06, 2009
Who d hell said pun n fat joe aint american?dem niggas is of puerto rican descent,so they 100% americans.full blooded boricuas baby!!!infact,fat joe's spanish aint even all that,I've heard duke speak it b4 and it aint that good.
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by brooklyn99: 2:23pm On Dec 06, 2009
@gbengaijot:nas is not nigerian!!!I've heard my nigerian friends say this numerous times and this is wut I tell them:nas' pops changed his name to oludara jones on some afrocentric ish:e was born in mississppi!!!how is he nigerian.I've also heard em say shaq,kobe and a host of others are nigerian.lol.don't b surprised whn I blow n become popular people will say I'm nigerian cus I used to b on nairaland
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by brooklyn99: 2:30pm On Dec 06, 2009
@rof-lmao shakira is 100% colombiana!who told u she american?ho just learnt how to speak english.wyclef is haitian,he wasn't born here.he might hold a u.s passport now but that don't change ish
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by brooklyn99: 2:38pm On Dec 06, 2009
@christino:christina aguilera is american!n the reason we aint feelin 'rappers' like dizee rascal is cus we don't understand jack dat they be sayn.he did a track with bun b a while n I swear I didn't have a clue wut he was sayn despite repeated listenings
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by chiogo(f): 6:55pm On Dec 06, 2009
^^WTF? He just had to reply everyone on a thread that's over 2 years old. undecided
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by brooklyn99: 7:09pm On Dec 06, 2009
Hey chiogo ugly;I'm not usin the computer so there's no way for me ro c the dates they were posted,u dig?now onto serious biz,my mans in hartford they lookn for a chic that's down for a freakoff,n u came to mind, u'll b paid handsomely.ho
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by chiogo(f): 7:12pm On Dec 06, 2009
brooklyn99:

Hey chiogo ugly;I'm not usin the computer so there's no way for me ro c the dates they were posted,u dig?now onto serious biz,my mans in hartford they lookn for a chic that's down for a freakoff,n u came to mind, u'll b paid handsomely.ho
Sorry, I don't do oldies. embarassed I'm sure you can do the job, just make sure you have enough lube. Have fun wink
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by AkinW: 7:56pm On Dec 06, 2009
Putting it simply, Nigerians are they own worst enemy, the good news is, things are slowly changing.
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by brooklyn99: 10:19pm On Dec 06, 2009
Listen here ho,who's the oldie?I bet ur black ass is older than me.wut u say we come pick u up in front of one of those projects in roxbury where u usually hang out?
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by chiogo(f): 10:35pm On Dec 06, 2009
brooklyn99:

Listen here ho,who's the oldie?I bet your black ass is older than me.wut u say we come pick u up in front of one of those projects in roxbury where u usually hang out?
You're boring, come up with something better. Def still an oldie.
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by brooklyn99: 11:31pm On Dec 06, 2009
Yah?oldie,huh?suck on dis?
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by chiogo(f): 11:46pm On Dec 06, 2009
brooklyn99:

Yah?oldie,huh?suck on dis?
Suck on what? I don't see anything. grin
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by brooklyn99: 12:28am On Dec 07, 2009
Suck on dat imaginary cock u fiending 4
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by chiogo(f): 12:45am On Dec 07, 2009
LOL how did you know? embarassed

Too bad I don't like to share so I'll leave it to you, you need it more.
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by brooklyn99: 12:48am On Dec 07, 2009
Nah I'm offering trust me u can have it
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Nov 13, 2010
*knows this is old*
Because your artists haven't done a lot of collab.s with Jamaicans and American artists  tongue
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by Ndipe(m): 9:30pm On Nov 13, 2010
MzDarkSkin:

*knows this is old*
Because your artists haven't done a lot of collab.s with Jamaicans and American artists  tongue

Though it's an exception, Sade refused to collaborate with JayZ and she is still a success. Akon who is riding on the wave of popularity hasnt (in recent times) collaborated with an American artiste, so, there must be more to the lack of popularity of Nigerian music abroad.
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by Nobody: 11:58pm On Nov 13, 2010
^ Sade is NOT  a Nigerian artist LMFAO! She is of Nigerian descent (her dad) but she is not doing traditional Nigerian music which is what we are talking about. The only reason she was able to turn anybody down (she is not first or last to do so) is because her MULTICULTURAL band put her on the map due to her being a European citizen. Had Sade lived all her life in Nigeria that would be another story.

Akon?! ARE YOU SERIOUS! Akon's first track "locked up" featured on of the hottest American rappers Styles P (who is half South African btw wink) not to mention his RECENT (2010) collaboration with Quincy Jones and other artists like Snoop Dogg, Emineim, and dancehall/ reggae artists; etc.

If we talk about Nigerian-American Wale you will see his "adaptation" to and collaboration with American culture/music is why he is one of Americas rising rappers right now. He reps Naija but he's not shunning the world in the process.

Nigerian musicians/ artists tend to want to "keep it 100 percent Naija" and you cannot expect any recognition with that mentality. We Jamaicans and Americans have collaborated with Latin musicians, rock musicians, r&b, country; etc.

Dancehall-Reggae although a relatively foreign music genre to the Americans WILL ALWAYS be relevant because of the sound one, but two our willingness and compatibility with other music genres which is why a reggae artist can have a hit song in the U.S., dissapear for two years and come back with the same love.
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by phboy(m): 2:04pm On Nov 16, 2010
James Bond: "Do you expect me to talk?"
Goldfinger: "No Mr Bond, I expect you to DIE!"

Black James Bond @ www.myspace.com/namccbedis1 angry angry
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by kombo(m): 7:13pm On Mar 03, 2013
I found a website i download Nigeria musics from www.naijabambam.com
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by progoh: 9:10pm On Mar 05, 2013
may be because of they are the ones rating them and if you are also chance to do that I think you will like to bring your first.
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by JLANCE(m): 5:22pm On Jul 25, 2013
Hehe
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by Ndipe(m): 12:24am On Aug 15, 2015
Our artistes, like psquare and iyanya, I discovered, are making waves in America. Infact, they are gradually replacing "sweet mother" at nigerian functions with kukere and the like. Good job.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Phyno - 'Onyeoma' Ft. Olamide (Video) / Help With This Mtn Caller Tune Name Pls / Heal The World Was Written In 2015 – Patoranking Reveals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.