Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,364 members, 7,826,429 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:12 PM

Who Was King Jehu In The Bible? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Was King Jehu In The Bible? (1493 Views)

Was King James Truly Gay? / Who Was King Zedekiah In The Bible? / Christians Was King Solomon Really Wise?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Was King Jehu In The Bible? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:38pm On Oct 08, 2016
Who was King Jehu in the Bible? What should we learn from the life of King Jehu? Was Jehu the only godly king of Israel?
Re: Who Was King Jehu In The Bible? by orunto27: 11:17pm On Oct 08, 2016
He reigned for 28 years. He disobeyed God in the end. He didn't reign long enough to be accounted righteous before God.

1 Like

Re: Who Was King Jehu In The Bible? by Anas09: 11:25pm On Oct 08, 2016
For starters, King Jehu was the King ordained by Elisha before he died to kill Jezebel.
He was commissioned by God to avenged the house of Israel by killing Jezebel and all the bloodline of Ahab.

King Ahab had disobeyed the God of israel and married a woman from Sidon (Jezebel). Jezebel came into marriage with her gods, she made King Ahab worship idols and completely over ran the Temple of God with satanism. She killed God's prophets and made the worship of her gods national. Through witchcraft, she controlled Ahab as a Pun.

When Elisha was to end his ministry God commanded him to aniont Jehu as the King of Israel to avenge the blood of the Prophets.

You shall strike down the house of Ahab your master, that I may avenge the blood of My servants the prophets, and the blood of all the servants of the L ORD , at the hand of Jezebel. For the whole house of Ahab shall perish; and I will cut off from Ahab all the males in Israel, both bond and free (2 Kings 9 :7-cool.

What to learn from Jehu? Obedience to specific and direct instructions.

In the book of Hosea 1:4 we see God through Proohet Hosea saying, he would take revenge on the house of Jehu.

Meaning, God sent him on an errant, but he over did it. He over stepped his bounds.

Over zealousness can make us over do God's work.

The way we even criticise others and call men of God who we think are fake names.

Self righteousness makes us look and treat others as if they do not have the Holy Ghost just like us.

Even the way we treat Sinners counts. After all, we were once sinners and are even still sinning. If Christ treated us with disdain, we wont be in christ today.

The Sinners today are potentials saints and carriers of the gospel tomorrow. We shd be careful so that we won't end up working against God, thinking we are working for God.

As a matter of fact, we shd not work for God, we shd Walk with God.

Yes, the House of Ahab was wicked, they worshipped idols, and yes he was told to go and kill them, but not to over do it.

He even went to the extent of Killing King Ahaziah of Judah. Who sent him that one?

He exceeded his mandate and brought trouble to his house.

Was Jehu a good King? Here is what the Bible says.

However Jehu did not turn away from the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, who had made Israel sin, that is, from the golden calves that were at Bethel and Dan. And the L ORD said to Jehu, “Because you have done well in doing what is right in My sight, and have done to the house of Ahab all that was in My heart, your sons shall sit on the throne of Israel to the fourth generation.” But Jehu took no heed to walk in the law of the
L ORD God of Israel with all his heart; for he did not depart from the sins of Jeroboam, who had made Israel sin. (2 kings 10: 29-31).

What to learn from Jehu? I think, As a Christian, When God is judging your enemies do not be over joyed.

Here is what the Bible says about that.

Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth:

Lest the LORD see it, and it displease him, and he turn away his wrath from him.
Proverbs:24:17-18

Becareful when God decides to punish your enemies. Make you no go put music dey dance, If you do, God go change him mind. grin.

I no dey understand God sometimes. cheesy

Remeber Jonah?

He wanted destruction for sinners, but God wanted them saved.
God doesn't like it wen any man is being punished, but the soul that sins must die. embarassed

Cc. TheSixthSense.

8 Likes

Re: Who Was King Jehu In The Bible? by afanide: 11:57pm On Oct 08, 2016
hearing that name for the first time undecided
Re: Who Was King Jehu In The Bible? by Nobody: 12:14am On Oct 09, 2016
I was wondering why I was mentioned, then I read again, slowly. Thanks a lot. a timely comment
Anas09:

In the book of Hosea 1:4 we see God through Prophet Hosea saying, he would take revenge on the house of Jehu.

Meaning, God sent him on an errant, but he over did it. He over stepped his bounds.

The way we even criticise others and call men of God who we think are fake names.

Self righteousness makes us look and treat others as if they do not have the Holy Ghost just like us.

Even the way we treat Sinners counts. After all, we were once sinners and are even still sinning. If Christ treated us with disdain, we wont be in christ today.

The Sinners today are potentials saints and carriers of the gospel tomorrow. We shd be careful so that we won't end up working against God, thinking we are working for God.

Yes, the House of Ahab was wicked, they worshipped idols, and yes he was told to go and kill them, but not to over do it.

He even went to the extent of Killing King Ahaziah of Judah. Who sent him that one?

However Jehu did not turn away from the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, who had made Israel sin, that is, from the golden calves that were at Bethel and Dan. And the L ORD said to Jehu, “Because you have done well in doing what is right in My sight, and have done to the house of Ahab all that was in My heart, your sons shall sit on the throne of Israel to the fourth generation.” But Jehu took no heed to walk in the law of the
L ORD God of Israel with all his heart; for he did not depart from the sins of Jeroboam, who had made Israel sin. (2 kings 10: 29-31).

What to learn from Jehu? I think, As a Christian, When God is judging your enemies do not be over joyed.

Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth:

Lest the LORD see it, and it displease him, and he turn away his wrath from him.

Be careful when God decides to punish your enemies. Make you no go put music dey dance, If you do, God go change him mind. grin.

Remember Jonah?

God doesn't like it wen any man is being punished, but the soul that sins must die. embarassed

Cc. TheSixthSense.
Re: Who Was King Jehu In The Bible? by Anas09: 12:36pm On Oct 09, 2016
TheSixthSense:
I was wondering why I was mentioned, then I read again, slowly. Thanks a lot. a timely comment
God bless you Soldier. Keep burning for Christ.

1 Like

Re: Who Was King Jehu In The Bible? by analice107: 5:08pm On Oct 13, 2016
afanide:
But you've heard of Jezebel right? He killed Jezebel.

@OLAADAGBU, what have you to say further?
Re: Who Was King Jehu In The Bible? by afanide: 6:43pm On Oct 13, 2016
analice107:

Oh i see.......
Re: Who Was King Jehu In The Bible? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:17am On Oct 14, 2016
analice107:

Let me deposit a few more facts about Jehu before we begin to learn from his adventure:

1. He was a prophet and son of the "seer" Hanani (2 Chronicles 16:7), who denounced King Baasha of Israel for following in the ways of Jeroboam ((1 Kings 15:25-32).

Jehu later rebuked Jehoshaphat, king of Judah, for helping Ahab the king of Israel in his wars against the Arameans (2 Chronicles 19:1-2). The writings of this prophet were included in one of the records of the reign of Jehoshaphat, The Book of the Kings of Israel (20:34).

2. Jehu was also an important army officer during the reigns of Ahab and Jehoram (2 Kings 9:25), who was anointed as king of the northern kingdom of Israel (1 Kings 19:16-17). In the following revolution he exterminated the royal house of Israel, the king of Judah, and a royal party from the south. He executed the worshippers of Baal in order to revive true worship in Israel. As king, he ruled in Samaria 28 years (841-814 BC) and began a dynasty that lasted 100 years.

In the time of Jehu the prophets were engaged in a religious equivalent of war with the adherents of the Tyrian Baal. Elijah met and defeated the Canaanite priests on Mount Carmel (1 Kings 18:17-40). Later he and then Elisha were commissioned to anoint Jehu as king. The prophets waited until the time was right (2 Kings 9:1-10), at which time Elisha sent a "son of the prophets" to Ramoth-gilead to designate Jehu as the morarch.

Jehu left his siege of Ramoth-gilead in northern Transjordan to meet the king of Israel in Jezreel. There he killed King Jehoram and Ahaziah, the king of Judah (2 Kings 9:17-28). His bloody ways continued as he extinguished the royal house of Ahab (2 Kings 10:1-17) and 42 ambassadors of goodwill from Judah (apparently without provocation). Israel's bloodbath finally ended in Samaria. There Jehu cunningly vowed to serve Baal with a zeal greater than that of Ahab. Unsuspecting devotees of Baal gathered in great numbers to join in a festival sacrifice. Instead, the devotees themselves became the sacrifice, and the house of Baal in Samaria was destroyed and desecrated by turning its ruins into a latrine.

Political and economic problems had contributed to unrest. Under the reign of Ahab and Jezebel, justice was corrupted. The poor lost their land in the drought and their property rights were ignored (1 Kings 18:5-6). Jehu threw the body of Jehoram into the field of Naboth the Jezreelite (2 Kings 9:25-26) as justice for the crime of Ahab and Jezebel (1 Kings 21:19). But religious passions dominated the case. Jehu called his slaughter of the house of Omri his "zeal for the Lord." Jehonadab, a Recabite, joined Jehu as he travelled toward Samaria (2 Kings 10:15-17). Recabites opposed social and economic developments that took place in the northern kingdom under Ahab. They followed a strict moral code and lived a simple life (Jeremiah 35). Since Recabites represented the most conservative elements of Yahwism, they became natural allies for the reform of Jehu.

Jehu's revolution seriously weakened the worship of Baal. Although not all of the adherents were eliminated, Baalism no longer remained the official religion of the state (2 Kings 10:28). Rather, Baalism united with Yahwism to form the sinister syncretistic religion that was denounced by the prophet Hosea.

Politically, the revolt of Jehu was disastrous. The triple alliance between Tyre, Israel, and Judah was shattered by the atrocities. Israel, now isolated, became easy prey for Assyria and Syria. Jehu attempted to buy some help from Assyria by paying tribute to Shalmaneser III. That event is pictured on the Black Oblisk in a relief from the campaign of 841 B.C. An inscription names "Jehu, son of Omri," as the one kneeling before Shalmaneser.

After the Assyrian threat dissipated in 838 BC, Hazael, king of Aram-Damascus, conquered all of Israelite Transjordan as far as the Arnon (2 Kings 10:32-33). In a 2nd campaign in 815 BC, Hazael moved across the Jordan River, through the Jezreel plain, and down the coast, conquering the land as far as Gath in the northern Shephelah. There the son of Jehu, Jehoahaz, paid tribute to Hazael (2 Kings 12:18). The revolution weakened Israel both politically and economically.

Later generations spoke of the massacre of the house of Omri with horror (Hosea 1:4). Jehu did not destroy the golden calves of Jeroboam, and so continued the combined worship at Bethel and Dan. In the final analysis the revolution, which was meant to purge Israel of oppression and false religion, succeeded in doing neither.

3. Jehu was also a member of Judah's tribe, the son of Obed and Azariah's father (1 Chronicles 2:38).

4. Jehu was also the prince of Simeon's tribe, and the son of Joshibiah, who, along with others, migrated to the valley of Gedor in search of good pasture (1 Chronicles 4:35).

5. Jehu was also one of he skilled warriors who joined David at Ziklag. Interestingly, he was of Saul's tribe, Benjamin, and from Anathoth, to which Abiathar of the priests of Eli was later banished (1 Chronicles 12:3).
Re: Who Was King Jehu In The Bible? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:54am On Oct 14, 2016
Anas09:

For starters, King Jehu was the King ordained by Elisha before he died to kill Jezebel.
He was commissioned by God to avenged the house of Israel by killing Jezebel and all the bloodline of Ahab.

King Ahab had disobeyed the God of israel and married a woman from Sidon (Jezebel). Jezebel came into marriage with her gods, she made King Ahab worship idols and completely over ran the Temple of God with satanism. She killed God's prophets and made the worship of her gods national. Through witchcraft, she controlled Ahab as a Pun.

When Elisha was to end his ministry God commanded him to aniont Jehu as the King of Israel to avenge the blood of the Prophets.

You shall strike down the house of Ahab your master, that I may avenge the blood of My servants the prophets, and the blood of all the servants of the L ORD , at the hand of Jezebel. For the whole house of Ahab shall perish; and I will cut off from Ahab all the males in Israel, both bond and free (2 Kings 9 :7-cool.

In the book of Hosea 1:4 we see God through Proohet Hosea saying, he would take revenge on the house of Jehu.

Becareful when God decides to punish your enemies. Make you no go put music dey dance, If you do, God go change him mind. grin.

Remeber Jonah?

Cc. TheSixthSense.

Good Job! cheesy
Re: Who Was King Jehu In The Bible? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:57am On Oct 14, 2016
afanide:

Have you read the 5 facts I posted about Jehu up there? Read it and then tell us what we can learn from this Jehu of a guy. smiley
Re: Who Was King Jehu In The Bible? by Anas09: 12:21pm On Oct 14, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Good Job! cheesy

You mean am right?
Re: Who Was King Jehu In The Bible? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:37pm On Oct 14, 2016
Anas09:

You mean am right?

Way to go! cheesy
Re: Who Was King Jehu In The Bible? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:42pm On Oct 14, 2016
orunto27:

He reigned for 28 years. He disobeyed God in the end. He didn't reign long enough to be accounted righteous before God.

That was a laconic answer. wink
Re: Who Was King Jehu In The Bible? by Anas09: 2:43pm On Oct 14, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Way to go! cheesy
Yeaaahhhh. wink

1 Like

Re: Who Was King Jehu In The Bible? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:40pm On Nov 02, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Who was King Jehu in the Bible? What should we learn from the life of King Jehu? Was Jehu the only godly king of Israel?

Suggested answer:

https://gotquestions.org/King-Jehu.html
Re: Who Was King Jehu In The Bible? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:28pm On Nov 17, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Suggested answer:

https://gotquestions.org/King-Jehu.html

Question: "Who was King Jehu in the Bible?"

Answer: Before his reign as king, Jehu functioned as a commander in the army of Ahab (2 Kings 9:5, 25) in the northern kingdom of Israel. Jehu was the son of Jehoshaphat, although he is more commonly mentioned as son of Nimshi, his grandfather, perhaps because Nimshi was more well-known. Jehu's name, meaning "Yahweh is he," portrays well his future, God-given task: to obliterate the house of Ahab along with the worship of Baal that pervaded Israel at the time.

Jehu was a reformer of sorts who was used by God to clean up the mess that Ahab had made. Of King Ahab it is recorded that he "did more evil in the eyes of the Lord than any of those before him" (1 Kings 16:30). Marrying Jezebel, daughter of the king of the Sidonians, Ahab was seduced into her idolatrous worship of Baal and Ashtoreth. Although God was patient for a time with Ahab, his many sins eventually brought God’s judgment upon his family line (1 Kings 21:20–22). This judgment first lands upon Ahab’s own head, as he is shot and killed in a battle against the Arameans (1 Kings 22:34–38).

God chose Jehu as one of three men who would enact His judgment upon Ahab's family. God told the prophet Elijah, "Anoint Hazael king over Aram. Also, anoint Jehu son of Nimshi king over Israel, and anoint Elisha son of Shaphat from Abel Meholah to succeed you as prophet. Jehu will put to death any who escape the sword of Hazael, and Elisha will put to death any who escape the sword of Jehu" (1 Kings 19:15–17). One way or another, Ahab's dynasty would be destroyed.

God also chose Jehu to be the king of Israel. After he was anointed king, Jehu immediately took steps to secure the throne. Knowing that Joram, son of Ahab, had recently gone to Jezreel to recover from wounds in a battle against the Arameans, Jehu ordered his men to seal the city so that no one could alert Joram of Jehu's anointing (2 Kings 9:1–16). Jehu made haste to Jezreel and killed two of Ahab's sons—Joram, king of northern Israel, and Ahaziah, king of Judah (2 Kings 9:14–29). Jehu then proceeded to Jezebel's palace in Jezreel, where the queen stood watching for him at her window. At Jehu's command, eunuchs surrounding Jezebel threw her down from the window. Jezebel's blood splattered over the pavement, and, just as had occurred to Ahab, her blood was licked up by the dogs and her body eaten (2 Kings 9:30–37; cf., 1 Kings 21:20–26; 22:37–38).

Jehu left no man standing who was in alliance with King Ahab, as God had commanded long before through Elijah. Entering the temple of Baal, Jehu slaughtered all the priests of Baal and destroyed the temple and its sacred stone, thus eradicating Baal worship in Israel (2 Kings 10:23–28).

The Lord blessed Jehu for his obedience, granting him a dynasty that would last to the fourth generation (2 Kings 10:30). However, because Jehu continued to hold on to the idolatrous worship of King Jeroboam (2 Kings 10:29, 31; 12:26–30), God began to reduce the size of Israel, gradually giving them over to the power of even Hazael of Syria (2 Kings 10:32–33). Jehu reigned over Israel a total of twenty-eight years and was succeeded by his son Jehoahaz (2 Kings 10:35–36).

Through Jehu we can learn that, although it is true that God blesses and grants success to those who seek to obey Him, God also can and will pull away His blessing from one who wilfully chooses to live in sin. As Jesus says in Matthew 6:24, "No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other." We cannot serve God while continuing to hold on to false gods. As Joshua said, we must "choose for [ourselves] this day whom [we] will serve" (Joshua 24:15). Where does your allegiance lie?
Re: Who Was King Jehu In The Bible? by sonofthunder: 9:37pm On Nov 17, 2016
Elijah never anointed Jehu, did he?
Re: Who Was King Jehu In The Bible? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:53am On Nov 18, 2016
sonofthunder:

Elijah never anointed Jehu, did he?

No. Neither did Elisha but the latter delegated that duty to one of the "sons of the prophet." smiley

1 Like

Re: Who Was King Jehu In The Bible? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:47pm On Oct 09, 2019
Who does King Jehu portray today? undecided

(1) (Reply)

Drop A Message For Living Faith Church At 36 Years. / “the Hallelujah Challenge Will Change Nothing In Nigeria” - Joy Isi Bewaji / Why Can't The Theists Understand?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.