Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,983 members, 7,817,901 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:21 PM

Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? (24044 Views)

Overcoming Masturbation : Https://ellaspeaksweb./2016/12/01/the-fig / What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? / The Mystery Of Fig Tree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by seguun(m): 2:37pm On Oct 09, 2016
MuttleyLaff:
Then God said,
"Let the earth produce vegetation: plants bearing seeds, each according to its own type,
and fruit trees bearing fruit with seeds, each according to its own type." And so it was.

- Genesis 1:11

I would curse a worthless living thing to death, especially if in due season, it is not useful, not beneficial, not positively productive and not fruitful

It will be good riddance.

The tree, as seen in Genesis 1:11 above, was already blessed, in line with,
there is an appointed time for everything, like the appointed time to pluck fruit buds from that fig tree

So are you saying a woman who is suffering from barrenness and she's now growing old... has no place in your own creed and should be cursed?

3 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by bbjummy: 2:45pm On Oct 09, 2016
ebenholer:
The fig tree was unproductive and God is using that to elucidate how unproductive people will be jettisoned and thrown off d radar of God's protection at the end of the world.
The bible didn't say the fig tree was unproductive but it says it wasn't it's season to produce fig.Do you expect a two year old to get pregnant at that age? Read the post again it's clear.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by gud4dbest(m): 2:50pm On Oct 09, 2016
EHMIR:
this is a lame attempt at justifying jesus' brutal act towards d innocent tree..its of general knowlege that everything ve their own seasons,including trees.

Clearly it wasnt the season of the fig tree to bear fruits,nd jesus knw this,yet he went ahead to 'murder' the tree...

Wickedness.

Pls @ d bold,iam still waiting for ur lots to move mountains
u're just darkening words without knowledge.what Jesus did there cant b understood by those that are without!
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by ebenholer(m): 2:52pm On Oct 09, 2016
bbjummy:

The bible didn't say the fig tree was unproductive but it says it wasn't it's season to produce fig.Do you expect a two year old to get pregnant at that age? Read the post again it's clear.
I did not say bible said so but trying giving it a spiritual interpretation that can be gotten through indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Bible saying not d season to produce fruit just like Cocoa fruit production is seasonal, and it does mean the tree is too young to bear fruit but no fruit could be found when it is not a season to bear fruits.
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 2:52pm On Oct 09, 2016
emis8:
bro, its all in the scripture.
if you read the whole chapter, you'll get to hear when Peter acknowledged that the tree he cursed actually died.

Why did he curse the fig tree
1. Jesus is the creator of the world
In the beginning, all trees he created rought forth fruits in and out of season, there was always fruits for Adam and Eve to eat. As the creator, he expected that the fig should have fruits wether its his season or not. The fig should have responded to His demand at least.
Remember Jesus said, everyone of us who does not bear fruit, my father will uproot, and those of us who do bear fruits, He will trim so that we bear even much fruit.

2. He cursed the tree to teach them about Faith
when Peter acknowledged that the fig tree he cursed actually died, Jesus told them to "have faith in God"
He told them that if they have the slightest level of Faith, they can speak to a mountain to move from where it is to another place and it will happen as happened to the fig tree.

As a Christian, if you put the little faith you received (as you got born again ) to use, nothing shall be impossible to you. You can speak to anything including money and it will answer you.

Have a glorious Sunday Service.
Jesus is the creator of the world. The same Jesus that wept is your own God. Sorry is your case.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by herald9: 2:53pm On Oct 09, 2016
simplex2:

It was obvious; those two really had it going. Who wouldn't fall for a guy that has 12 well groomed maid servants, feeds thousands of people with 5 agege bread and 2 sardines, turns water to don Simon at will and even saved her life from male customers who didn't get a blow-job from her after paying for it?
Are you okay? grin
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by onyedikafreeman: 2:53pm On Oct 09, 2016
Jesus Christ is the advocate of Himself. Nobody should defend for him. He is a God
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by eROCK247(m): 2:54pm On Oct 09, 2016
kyrios:
who created the world Jesus or God ? And don't tell me Jesus is God cause it's said he is the son of God
Jesus the son of God is God as well (John 1:1).
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by roolnaado(m): 2:58pm On Oct 09, 2016
EHMIR:
this is a lame attempt at justifying jesus' brutal act towards d innocent tree..its of general knowlege that everything ve their own seasons,including trees.

Clearly it wasnt the season of the fig tree to bear fruits,nd jesus knw this,yet he went ahead to 'murder' the tree...

Wickedness.

This would not be taken lightly in an Islamic thread. Tolerance goes both ways
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by onyedikafreeman: 2:59pm On Oct 09, 2016
According to the Bible, nobody should question God, even if, what we read seems contradicting.
I have so many questions yet to be answered but what can i say. He is God, He knows the reason why He made the bible so confusing.
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by bbjummy: 3:00pm On Oct 09, 2016
ebenholer:

I did not say bible said so but trying giving it a spiritual interpretation that can be gotten through indwelling of the Holy Spirit.
I don't understand the spiritual interpretation you are attaching to it cos the bible was clear on the season of productivity.
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by roolnaado(m): 3:02pm On Oct 09, 2016
EHMIR:

Wickedness.

This would not be taken in an Islamic thread. Tolerance goes both ways
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by sholey4love: 3:10pm On Oct 09, 2016
Jeaus causes the fig tree Because a fig tree grows together with it leaves. But when Jesus saw only the leaves without fig, he caused the tree for not producing.

This means that the tree produced leaves at the wrong time and it can deceive people looking as if there is fig on it.

This was what made Jesus move further when he saw the tree full of leaves and found nothing on it ,then cause the tree for deceiving people as if it time has come.

Hope you now understand clearly.

You can search more about fig tree production.
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Oct 09, 2016
emis8:

As a Christian, if you put the little faith you received (as you got born again ) to use, nothing shall be impossible to you. You can speak to anything including money and it will answer you.
seriously? And Africa is still the poorest continent in the world.

3 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Terye(m): 3:46pm On Oct 09, 2016
danosky91:
he was hungry and a hungry person is an angry one he vented his hunger anger on the tree.BTW wen did trees bcome innocent and sinful.tank God u recognize there was power . He is still d lord of lords.shalom
then I guess your Jesus was wicked. Isn't the the lord who created the tree? He should have known its not the time for it to fruit since he is the same person that created it.. Your doctrine makes no sense to me.. (No offense)... Why will God be hungry in the first place?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Omojolaray(m): 3:47pm On Oct 09, 2016
Sirwallace:

guy, the reason you gave up there are as crappy as lame. cursing an innocent tree to teach them about faith! that's lame.

secondly, God created heaven and heart not Jesus Christ.

lastly, admit he made a ridiculous mistake which was not supposed to be documented in the bible. common sense will tell all the right thinking man that what he does is inappropriate and needless.
Jesus is God.....one day you'll know
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Alhajipablo(m): 3:49pm On Oct 09, 2016
chinnyness122:
Mark 11:12-14 says,
The next day, as they were coming back from Bethany, Jesus was hungry. He saw in a distance a fig tree covered with leaves, so He went to see if He could find any figs on it. But when He came to it, he found only leaves, BECAUSE IT WAS NOT THE RIGHT TIME FOR FIGS. Jesus said to the fig tree " No one shall ever eat figs from you again!" And His disciples heard Him.

then verses 20-21 says
Early the next morning, as they walked along the road, they saw the fig tree. It was dead all the way down to its root. Peter remembered what happened and said "look, Teacher, the fig tree you cursed has died!"

So my brethren, I ask, because I am not understanding. since it wasn't time for the fig to bear fruits, was He really expecting to see some figs up there? I know every fruit and.plants have their seasons. Is there suppose to be some kinda miracle fruit up there?
Pls someone should explain plz, I want to understand.

# no hating# no cursing#
Mods pls. I need answers
An hungry man is an angry man
Simple.
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by kyrios: 3:59pm On Oct 09, 2016
eROCK247:
bro how can you be yourself and your son at the same time bro it's confusing

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by kyrios: 4:02pm On Oct 09, 2016
eROCK247:
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. How does this prove anything ?

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Terye(m): 4:05pm On Oct 09, 2016
Alhajipablo:

An hungry man is an angry man
Simple.
with that, you agree with Act 2:22 that Jesus was man, chosen among the Israelis .. Gracias!

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Sirwallace(m): 4:05pm On Oct 09, 2016
Omojolaray:
Jesus is God.....one day you'll know

sure, and so will you realise the truth someday. can we rest the case cus I don't like to engage in fruitless argument with brainwashed people.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by adokop94: 4:06pm On Oct 09, 2016
According to my understanding,the fig tree by nature is not like any other tree it bring forth fruit it fruit before leaves comes out.So practically any fig tree with leaves is indicating that it has fruits.
Lesson one is the fig tree is an hypocrite and the only place in which Jesus express his displeasure most is on hypocrisy Matthew 23 v 13-35
More so,to back up the lesson of the unfruitful tree Luke 13 v 6-9: here the fig tree is a believer that is not fruitfull 2 Timothy 4 v 2
Lastly to teach them about faith;that is faith could get one instant answers even without prayers...that is why most miracle Jesus did he will first ask of the persons' faith.Infact faith can make the impossible happen.
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Terye(m): 4:07pm On Oct 09, 2016
kyrios:
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. How does this prove anything ?
That I am God, that you are my son and you are with me, and you are also me.. That verse is usually used by Protestant churches except witnesses to justify that Jesus was God..
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Alhajipablo(m): 4:10pm On Oct 09, 2016
Terye:
with that, you agree with Act 2:22 that Jesus was man, chosen among the Israelis .. Gracias!
of course Eusebius according to Otemanudo is a man
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Sirwallace(m): 4:11pm On Oct 09, 2016
kyrios:
bro how can you be yourself and your son at the same time bro it's confusing

dude, leave it alone. let the guy stick with his believe. most of these guys fail to reason on their own. all they do is reason along line their self acclaimed man of God. simple logical reasoning that result to deductive conclusion will go a Long way in resetting their defect brain thinking to default setting.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by adokop94: 4:12pm On Oct 09, 2016
the word was later made flesh read that chapter through(John 1 -1-11)
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Redhot111(m): 4:17pm On Oct 09, 2016
For those of u saying 'innocent tree', u must 1st understand that all things was created for man. Hence only man was made in God's image. Having said dat, Jesus was actually teaching is about faith, and again the issue of Christians bearing fruits. Now Christians are expected to bear Kingdom fruits not minding seasons, situations, locations etc. Matthew: 3. 10. And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. - Bible Offline.
so the fact dat he decided to use the tree as a lesson for human shouldn't be such a big deal. All things including that tree was made 4 man. It could hv been used for firewood, roofing member, chewing stick or jst for lessons. It served it's purpose and that was it.
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by biggz82: 4:21pm On Oct 09, 2016
emis8:
bro, its all in the scripture.
if you read the whole chapter, you'll get to hear when Peter acknowledged that the tree he cursed actually died.

Why did he curse the fig tree
1. Jesus is the creator of the world
In the beginning, all trees he created rought forth fruits in and out of season, there was always fruits for Adam and Eve to eat. As the creator, he expected that the fig should have fruits wether its his season or not. The fig should have responded to His demand at least.
Remember Jesus said, everyone of us who does not bear fruit, my father will uproot, and those of us who do bear fruits, He will trim so that we bear even much fruit.

2. He cursed the tree to teach them about Faith
when Peter acknowledged that the fig tree he cursed actually died, Jesus told them to "have faith in God"
He told them that if they have the slightest level of Faith, they can speak to a mountain to move from where it is to another place and it will happen as it happened to the fig tree.

Have a glorious Sunday Service.

Jesus is th son of God not the creator, from the beginning all fruits has their season, Adam n Eve had enough to eat because all manar of fruit was in the garden, at that particular place it was just the fig tree and it was not its season to bear fruits. So i think it was out of anger. Hungry man is a angry man.
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by mmsen: 4:25pm On Oct 09, 2016
donhils:

Look, He didn't kill the tree, the tree died because Jesus talked. It's just like in these days, u went to your Mango tree to pluck some and u didn't find anything, out of 'frustration' u said na wa for this mango oh...and left. That's how to explain it, but because He is Jesus Christ, fig tree components said abeg oh b4 we offend the master let us kukuma die.

Look, He didn't kill the tree, the tree died because Jesus talked.

He killed the tree but it was manslaughter and not murder?

The all singing, all dancing man/deity didn't appreciate his own power?
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by adokop94: 4:26pm On Oct 09, 2016
You have got it wrong God is not man but spirit John 4v 24 spirit can inhabit man in fact We are called the temple of God 1 Corinthians 6v 19
If you consider how Jesus was conceived it was by this same spirit Luke 1 v 35 that is why Paul finalized the Trinity issue by saying "God was manifest in flesh" 1 Timothy 3 v 16 read 1 John 5 v 7
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by NemzySeries(m): 4:27pm On Oct 09, 2016
it wuz a lesson of faith meant 4 hiz disciples to witness & learn frm
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by manutdadex(m): 4:36pm On Oct 09, 2016
Strawman:

If you're tired of reading troll comments, I think I can help you with your question.

@bolded part, first of all, of course it wasn't the plant's season, but let me tell you something: Fig trees bear fruit before they start to grow leaves. So on seeing "in a distance a fig tree covered with leaves", they all expected it to have produced plenty fruit already. Some plants happen to produce fruit early and before their season, it happens.

Now, for why he cursed the plant? Jesus was teaching his disciple a lesson. There's a lot of symbolism that fig tree could teach on; about faith, about "fruitless" people, about Israel as a whole etc. you've probably heard most of it. The act is simply just like your school teacher cutting off some plants, or killing an animal to bring to class and teach his students one or two things - it's normal. And it's not like the tree was someone's property or something so... wink
intelligent answer bro! Jesus will go xtra length just to pass a message to u!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Boko-Haram Spies Sent To Oyedepo's Church Ran Mad? / Complete Testimony Of Heaven And Hell | New 2013 - Linda Ngaujah Part 1 / Gideon Isah Replies Yanick Aka Over Allegations Against Prophet Fufeyin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.