Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,964 members, 7,810,669 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:05 PM

Question : The Man That Was With The Woman Caught In Adultery - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Question : The Man That Was With The Woman Caught In Adultery (2211 Views)

7 Nigerian Pastors That Were Accused Of Adultery – No. 3 & 6 Cases Shook Nigeria / Pastor Sunday Adelaja's Church In Adultery Scandal / Pastor In Adultery Mess, Flees Housewife’s Home Unclad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Question : The Man That Was With The Woman Caught In Adultery by Nobody: 10:21am On Oct 09, 2016
Question

A woman was caught in the act of adultery and brought to Jesus...Jesus said "go and sin no more".
Now, she didn't commit adultery with herself. So, why was the man absent from that biblical scene ? Wasn't he also guilty and thus required of being stoned to death ?

Thanks
Happy Sunday
Re: Question : The Man That Was With The Woman Caught In Adultery by hopefulLandlord: 10:32am On Oct 09, 2016
where are our bible scholars?
Re: Question : The Man That Was With The Woman Caught In Adultery by kolaish(m): 10:36am On Oct 09, 2016
it is never possible for the Bible (a book) to record all things that happened in those days, just think of it. The bible only records those that were closely linked to Jesus either physically or spiritually.
Re: Question : The Man That Was With The Woman Caught In Adultery by kolaish(m): 10:36am On Oct 09, 2016
hopefulLandlord:
Remember today is sunday and most people are either in church or on the way to the church
Re: Question : The Man That Was With The Woman Caught In Adultery by Nobody: 10:37am On Oct 09, 2016
hopefulLandlord:
malvisguy212 OLAADEGBU winner01 johnydon22 menesheh Seun Plaeton
Re: Question : The Man That Was With The Woman Caught In Adultery by kabrud: 10:39am On Oct 09, 2016
kolaish:
it is never possible for the Bible (a book) to record all things that happened in those days, just think of it. The bible only records those that were closely linked to Jesus either physically or spiritually.
Meaning the bible is incomplete. grin
Re: Question : The Man That Was With The Woman Caught In Adultery by Nobody: 10:40am On Oct 09, 2016
kolaish:

And the question above has no link ? Why would the woman be charged guilty and nothing was heard of the man ? Maybe the adultery there is self service then.
That's a very important scene that should be recorded no matter what unless the man wasn't charged guilty.
Re: Question : The Man That Was With The Woman Caught In Adultery by johnydon22(m): 10:41am On Oct 09, 2016
kolaish:

So something as basic as the man who committed adultry with the woman is then excused?

This is a lame excuse..

If it's so why then mention the woman at all
Re: Question : The Man That Was With The Woman Caught In Adultery by iLiquidator: 10:49am On Oct 09, 2016
kolaish:
Remember today is sunday and most people are either in church or on the way to the church
Correction!!! Most Christians. What of the self appointed atheist advocates on Nairaland? Are they in the church? Let me ask,.............. seun
Re: Question : The Man That Was With The Woman Caught In Adultery by kolaish(m): 10:54am On Oct 09, 2016
iLiquidator:
Correction!!! Most Christians. What of the self appointed atheist advocates on Nairaland? Are they in the church? Let me ask,.............. seun
your question was addressed to christians and most people (christians) are on the way to the church or in the church. what is wrong with that.
Re: Question : The Man That Was With The Woman Caught In Adultery by kolaish(m): 10:58am On Oct 09, 2016
kabrud:

If a biography (book) is written about someone, can that same book write down all the activities that the man did all his life, including bathing, sleeping, how many times he was corrected by others etc. (not possible). Once again i am telling you that the bible only records the most important ones. If you have a pre conceived idea about the bible, say it out and let us talk about it. Due regards.
Re: Question : The Man That Was With The Woman Caught In Adultery by JSoE(f): 11:01am On Oct 09, 2016
kabrud:
And felixomor was rambling on, on how complete the buybull is. Bros,come and see another evidence of 'completeness' grin Misogynist much?

1 Like

Re: Question : The Man That Was With The Woman Caught In Adultery by felixomor: 11:07am On Oct 09, 2016
johnydon22:

So something as basic as the man who committed adultry with the woman is then excused?

This is a lame excuse..

If it's so why then mention the woman at all

There is nothing lame there. The main aim of the story was the teaching on grace, the law and forgiveness.
The man has no role with regards to the lesson.
Re: Question : The Man That Was With The Woman Caught In Adultery by kabrud: 11:07am On Oct 09, 2016
kolaish:
If a biography (book) is written about someone, can that same book write down all the activities that the man did all his life, including bathing, sleeping, how many times he was corrected by others etc. (not possible). Once again i am telling you that the bible only records the most important ones. If you have a pre conceived idea about the bible, say it out and let us talk about it. Due regards.
We are saying the same thing; the Bible is not complete.
Re: Question : The Man That Was With The Woman Caught In Adultery by felixomor: 11:09am On Oct 09, 2016
JSoE:

And felixomor was rambling on, on how complete the buybull is.
Bros,come and see another evidence of 'completeness' grin
Misogynist much?

Hahaha,
u r as good as the person who said birth certificate is not complete because it doesnt state the brand of pampers the baby wore at birth.

I just pity u, i thot u found something substantial.
Just shift abeg.
Re: Question : The Man That Was With The Woman Caught In Adultery by JSoE(f): 11:18am On Oct 09, 2016
felixomor:

Hahaha,
u r as good as the person who said birth certificate is not complete because it doesnt state the brand of pampers the baby wore at birth.

I just pity u, i thot u found something substantial.
Just shift abeg.

grin Hehehe
Yes, the buybull is as complete as your birth certificate. Right?
Re: Question : The Man That Was With The Woman Caught In Adultery by felixomor: 11:19am On Oct 09, 2016
JSoE:

grin Hehehe

Gerrout.
I told u not to call me until u find a more complete book.
Please obey.
cool
Re: Question : The Man That Was With The Woman Caught In Adultery by felixomor: 11:21am On Oct 09, 2016
JSoE:

grin Hehehe
Ok?
Re: Question : The Man That Was With The Woman Caught In Adultery by Nobody: 11:27am On Oct 09, 2016
felixomor:

There is nothing lame there. The main aim of the story was the teaching on grace, the law and forgiveness.
The man has no role with regards to the lesson.

Sounds misogynistic ...

You guys preach falsehoods and call it grace. Sounds like grave to me.
This is simple. This isn't from the part of Jesus but of those who fetched the woman out.

*the man ran away, so they caught just the woman
*the man wasn't guilty

Those are the possible outcomes and none has nothing to do with your grace thing.
Re: Question : The Man That Was With The Woman Caught In Adultery by felixomor: 11:35am On Oct 09, 2016
TheAgba:

Sounds misogynistic ...

You guys preach falsehoods and call it grace. Sounds like grave to me.
This is simple. This isn't from the part of Jesus but of those who fetched the woman out.

*the man ran away, so they caught just the woman
*the man wasn't guilty

Those are the possible outcomes and none has nothing to do with your grace thing.

I can see u dont understand my writings.

Moreover, u know those possibilities, yet u want the man to be included in the story.
Re: Question : The Man That Was With The Woman Caught In Adultery by Nobody: 11:45am On Oct 09, 2016
felixomor:

I can see u dont understand my writings.

Moreover, u know those possibilities, yet u want the man to be included in the story.

Hope you don't mind reading the actual OP again ?
Re: Question : The Man That Was With The Woman Caught In Adultery by Nobody: 1:08pm On Oct 09, 2016
TheAgba:
Question

A woman was caught in the act of adultery and brought to Jesus...Jesus said "go and sin no more".
Now, she didn't commit adultery with herself. So, why was the man absent from that biblical scene ? Wasn't he also guilty and thus required of being stoned to death ?

Thanks
Happy Sunday

The Pericope adultera, the story of the woman taken in adultery is entirely fictional. It does not appear in the earliest manuscripts of John, it is a fictitious account with a mainly spiritual message, in fact the story appeared briefly in the Gospel of Luke.

It is a story about humility and forgiveness. The author also wished to convey undertones of Kabbalah teachings in the actions Jesus performed.

1 Like

Re: Question : The Man That Was With The Woman Caught In Adultery by Joc86: 1:34pm On Oct 09, 2016
If I may say, the tradition about immorality is always pointing at women. Take for instance, in some part of enugu, any woman that is married but commits adultry got struck by death or madness but for men, it is not so. In most cases, the tradition is only against women. Remember then, christianity was still in the process.
Re: Question : The Man That Was With The Woman Caught In Adultery by Nobody: 1:37pm On Oct 09, 2016
Sarassin:

The Pericope adultera, the story of the woman taken in adultery is entirely fictional. It does not appear in the earliest manuscripts of John, it is a fictitious account with a mainly spiritual message, in fact the story appeared briefly in the Gospel of Luke.

It is a story about humility and forgiveness. The author also wished to convey undertones of Kabbalah teachings in the actions Jesus performed.

I don't know if you're here to confuse me. But anyway, thanks.
Re: Question : The Man That Was With The Woman Caught In Adultery by Nobody: 2:44pm On Oct 09, 2016
TheAgba:

I don't know if you're here to confuse me. But anyway, thanks.

Not at all. Biblical scholars have long acknowledged that the story was a later insertion and not found in the earliest codices. Like many other accounts about Jesus in the NT, it's purpose is mainly allegorical.

1 Like

Re: Question : The Man That Was With The Woman Caught In Adultery by Nobody: 3:02pm On Oct 09, 2016
Sarassin:

Not at all. Biblical scholars have long acknowledged that the story was a later insertion and not found in the earliest codices. Like many other accounts about Jesus in the NT, it's purpose is mainly allegorical.

Your emphasis is on "interpolation". Well, it's kinda obvious when comparing the synoptic gospels.
Re: Question : The Man That Was With The Woman Caught In Adultery by Nobody: 4:05pm On Oct 09, 2016
TheAgba:

Your emphasis is on "interpolation". Well, it's kinda obvious when comparing the synoptic gospels.

I wouldn't quite agree that it is an "obvious interpolation" due to comparisons with the synoptic writers. The Gospel of John as you well know contains quite a few stories and events about Jesus not mentioned in the other gospels, the "Johanine community" seemed to have sources distinct from the common sources of the synoptic writers, even though we are now beginning to see event correlations between the Gospels of Matthew and John but I digress.

The point is, Bible compilers had the story floating around probably in the margins of much later documents and simply made the insertion into the Gospel of John for convenience. There is virtually no chance it was written by the same author of the Gospel of John, and since it was mainly allegorical in nature then the issue of the "man" caught up in the adultery simply did not arise.
Re: Question : The Man That Was With The Woman Caught In Adultery by byteHead(m): 7:24pm On Oct 09, 2016
Furthermore the story says after d crowd and pharisees had melted away (presumably from embarrassment because of what Jesus said "he that is without sin should cast d first stone"), nobody was left except Jesus and d woman. In that case who is d narrator of what Jesus said to her.

Very fine story indeed.
Re: Question : The Man That Was With The Woman Caught In Adultery by analice107: 11:16pm On Oct 11, 2016
JSoE:

grin Hehehe Yes, the buybull is as complete as your birth certificate. Right?
Are you a lesbian too?
Re: Question : The Man That Was With The Woman Caught In Adultery by JSoE(f): 12:30am On Oct 12, 2016
analice107:
Are you a lesbian too?
Yea and you're my partner grin

1 Like

Re: Question : The Man That Was With The Woman Caught In Adultery by Amberon: 4:20am On Oct 12, 2016
This question isn't necessary. The most important thing is that Jesus Christ our Lord and savior didn't condemn her. He didn't let her be stoned to death. If he had let her to be stoned while the man was absent, this question would've been justified; but right now its inconsequential.
Re: Question : The Man That Was With The Woman Caught In Adultery by Nobody: 10:18am On Oct 12, 2016
Amberon:
This question isn't necessary. The most important thing is that Jesus Christ our Lord and savior didn't condemn her. He didn't let her be stoned to death. If he had let her to be stoned while the man was absent, this question would've been justified; but right now its inconsequential.

I don't know what to tell you. Maybe "inconsequential" would do.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Confessions Of An Evil Man / Oprah Winfrey Opens Church, Founds Religion. / Who Is The Keeper Of The Money Bag In Churches

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.