Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,145 members, 7,811,218 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:54 AM

History as Made First-ever Green Card Is Awarded - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / History as Made First-ever Green Card Is Awarded (853 Views)

Referee Shows Football’s First Ever GREEN Card To Discipline Player / Iheanacho Makes History As Leicester Trashes Fleetwood(pics) / Algeria Vs Nigeria: Why I Awarded Penalty Against Super Eagles – Referee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

History as Made First-ever Green Card Is Awarded by thesicilian: 8:47pm On Oct 09, 2016
Officials for the Italian second tier announced at the beginning of the season that the player shown the most cards for fair play will receive an award

History was made in Italy this week as Vicenza attacker Cristian Galano received Serie B's first-ever green card, which was awarded for fair play.

Officials speaking for the Italian second tier announced the scheme at the beginning of the season and said that the player with the most green cards at the end of the season will receive a reward.

Tuesday marked the first instance of the new policy in action, when Galano admitted that no Virtus Entella defenders had touched the ball when referee Marco Mainardi had incorrectly called for a corner kick.

Serie B president Andrea Abodi admits that the cards are largely symbolic, but is eager to promote the Italian second division in a more positive light following the match fixing scandal that rocked the league at the beginning of the season.

“It’s a symbolic award,” Abodi said. “It could be something very simple. The important thing is to recognise it when a professional does something exemplary.”

“We think that football needs positive messages,” a Serie B spokesman added.

“This sport is too often embroiled in controversy that drives people away from the stadiums.”

Re: History as Made First-ever Green Card Is Awarded by LordZero(m): 9:17pm On Oct 09, 2016
This is a good innovation but it will take a long time to make honest men out of footballers(99% of them lies whether consciously or unconsciously).

(1) (Reply)

I Won 45 Out Of My 50 Match Predictions Last Weekend See How Much I Made / WEIRD! See 6 Footballers Who Suck Their Thumb Better Than Babies / Football Bet Hints And Rules No 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.