Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,141 members, 7,818,432 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:36 PM

Becoming A Mahram Through Breastfeeding – Fataawa Islamiyyah – Shaykh Ibn Baaz - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Becoming A Mahram Through Breastfeeding – Fataawa Islamiyyah – Shaykh Ibn Baaz (627 Views)

Guidelines On Shaking Hands With Non-mahram / To Whom Are The Deeds Of A Child Written? – Shaykh Ibn Baaz / Striving Hard, Competing For Good Deeds In Ramadaan – Shaykh Ibn Baaz (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Becoming A Mahram Through Breastfeeding – Fataawa Islamiyyah – Shaykh Ibn Baaz by Nobody: 7:32pm On Oct 11, 2016
Shaykh Ibn Baaz (rahimahullaah) said:

If a woman suckles a child for five well known breastfeedings or more during the first two years, the infant becomes a child for her and her husband who is the owner of the milk, and all that woman’s children from the husband or from other husbands become siblings of this infant, and the children of the man who is the owner of the milk, whether from the breastfeeding woman or from other wives, become siblings of the infant. Her brothers become maternal aunts for him, and the brothers of the husband, the owner of the milk, become paternal uncles for him, and the father of the woman becomes a grandfather for the child and the father of the husband, the owner of the milk, becomes a grandfather to him and the husband’s mother becomes a grandmother to him, because Allaah says concerning female mahrams in Soorat al-Nisa’;

“your foster mothers who gave you suck, your foster milk suckling sisters”{al-Nisa’ 4:23}

And the Prophet (pbuh) said: “What becomes mahram (forbidden for marriage) through breastfeeding is that which become mahram through blood ties.” And he (pbuh) said: “There is no breastfeeding except during the first two years.” And it was proven in Saheeh Muslim that ‘Aa’ishah (r.a) said: “When the Qur’an was first revealed, the number of breast-feedings that would make a child a relative (mahram) was ten, then this was abrogated and replaced with the number of five which is well-known. Then the Prophet (pbuh) passed away when that was the state of affairs.” This version was narrated by al-Tirmidhi but it is also found in Saheeh Muslim {page 3 of Fataawa Islamiyyah}

from this we can deduce that if for instance I want to adopt a male child because my wife is barren I can ask my wife to tell my sister in law to breastfeed that male infant(that is below 2years old) that way he becomes mahram for my wife when he becomes an adolescent...

And Allaah knows best.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Becoming A Mahram Through Breastfeeding – Fataawa Islamiyyah – Shaykh Ibn Baaz by Nobody: 9:49pm On Oct 11, 2016
[b]Look the hadith below: Salim (R.D) has attains puberty and still he was breastfeed 2 be muharam of that family.

Aisha reported: Salim, the freed slave of Abu Hudhaifa, lived with him and his family in their house. The daughter of Suhail came and said: Salim has attained puberty as men do, he knows what they know, and he enters our house freely, and I sense that this bothers the heart of Abu Hudhaifa. So the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said: Let him be fed with breast milk and he will become unlawful for you in marriage, then the feelings in his heart will disappear. Source: Sahih Muslim 1453, Grade: Sahih

She returned and said, “I fed him with breast milk and the feelings in Abu Hudhaifa’s heart disappeared.”

Does this means even an adult can be breastfeed to become muharam? If Yes. When this occur between couples, the wife automatically becomes a mother to her husband? If no share more light.

Not necessarily asking the question 4 myself but I know it will benefit many. [/b]
Re: Becoming A Mahram Through Breastfeeding – Fataawa Islamiyyah – Shaykh Ibn Baaz by Nobody: 2:08am On Oct 12, 2016
FriendChoice:
Look the hadith below: Salim (R.D) has attains puberty and still he was breastfeed 2 be muharam of that family.

I've seen that hadith before, the scholars are divided regarding the application of the hadith into three opinions;

1) the hadith about sahlah(the wife of Abu Hudhayfa) is abrogated although this opinion is a weak one because abrogation is done on basis of confirmed dates.

2) the hadith of sahlah is a special ruling for her and Saalim and this is the view of shaykh Ibn Baaz alongside majority of the scholars, hence it is the is the correct view, the correctness is strengthened if we consider this hadith in sahih Muslim;

Umm Salama, the wife of Allaah's Apostle ( ﷺ ), used to say that all wives of Allaah's Apostle ( ﷺ ) disclaimed the idea that one with this type of fosterage (having been suckled after the proper period) should come to them. and said to 'A'isha:

By Allaah, we do not find this but a sort of concession given by Allaah's Messenger (ﷺ ) only for Saalim, and no one was going to be allowed to enter (our houses) with this type of fosterage and we do not subscribe to this view

Reference : Sahih Muslim 1454
In-book reference : Book 17, Hadith 38
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Book 8, Hadith 3429

http://sunnah.com/muslim/17

3) That it is not specific to sahlah and Saalim rather it applies to anyone in such difficult situation as sahlah.

Ibn taymiyyah explained the difficult situation thus; the adult (man) can't do without entering the house of the woman for basic needs and it's difficult for her to observe hijab from him just like this case.

although shaykh Ibn Uthaymeen said that it's not possible to find a condition equal to that of Saalim again because she already knew him before the verse was revealed. Therefore the matter returns to being specific to sahlah and Saalim.

Does this means even an adult can be breastfeed to become muharam?

like I've said, the more correct view is that it is specific to the case of sahlah and saalim and note that he did not drink directly from sahlah, the proof for that is It is narrated in the Tabaqat of Ibn Sa'd and elsewhere that Sahlah would pour her breast-milk into a utensil each day for five continuous days and Salim would drink from it. He did not directly drink from the bréast of Sahla, as it is not permitted to expose one’s awrah in front of a non-Mahram adult let alone have him suckled. Imam Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani (Allah have mercy on him) has also mentioned this in his al-Isaba fi tamiz al-Sahaba. (See: Tabaqat Ibn Sa’d, 8/271 & al-Isaba, 4/337)

the emboldened was gotten from http://www.daruliftaa.com/node/6030?txt_QuestionID

I just brought that because some non-muslims and shi'as at times bring that narration to vilify Ahlus-sunnah wal jama'ah.

If Yes. When this occur between couples, the wife automatically becomes a mother to her husband? If no share more light.

No, since the correct view is that it was specific to sahlah and saalim, she does not become mother to her husband because following the correct opinion establishes that to be a mahram through breastfeeding it must be done on an infant below the age of 2.

I hope the explanation was clear, if no pls ask,

and Allaah knows best.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Becoming A Mahram Through Breastfeeding – Fataawa Islamiyyah – Shaykh Ibn Baaz by Nobody: 2:42am On Oct 12, 2016
Re: Becoming A Mahram Through Breastfeeding – Fataawa Islamiyyah – Shaykh Ibn Baaz by MrOlai: 7:14am On Oct 12, 2016
lexiconkabir:

I've seen that hadith before, the scholars are divided regarding the application of the hadith into three opinions;
1) the hadith about sahlah(the wife of Abu Hudhayfa) is abrogated although this opinion is a weak one because abrogation is done on basis of confirmed dates.
2) the hadith of sahlah is a special ruling for her and Saalim and this is the view of shaykh Ibn Baaz alongside majority of the scholars, hence it is the is the correct view, the correctness is strengthened if we consider this hadith in sahih Muslim;
Umm Salama, the wife of Allaah's Apostle ( ﷺ ), used to say that all wives of Allaah's Apostle ( ﷺ ) disclaimed the idea that one with this type of fosterage (having been suckled after the proper period) should come to them. and said to 'A'isha:
By Allaah, we do not find this but a sort of concession given by Allaah's Messenger (ﷺ ) only for Saalim, and no one was going to be allowed to enter (our houses) with this type of fosterage and we do not subscribe to this view
Reference : Sahih Muslim 1454
In-book reference : Book 17, Hadith 38
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Book 8, Hadith 3429
http://sunnah.com/muslim/17
3) That it is not specific to sahlah and Saalim rather it applies to anyone in such difficult situation as sahlah.
Ibn taymiyyah explained the difficult situation thus; the adult (man) can't do without entering the house of the woman for basic needs and it's difficult for her to observe hijab from him just like this case.
although shaykh Ibn Uthaymeen said that it's not possible to find a condition equal to that of Saalim again because she already knew him before the verse was revealed. Therefore the matter returns to being specific to sahlah and Saalim.
like I've said, the more correct view is that it is specific to the case of sahlah and saalim and note that he did not drink directly from sahlah, the proof for that is It is narrated in the Tabaqat of Ibn Sa'd and elsewhere that Sahlah would pour her breast-milk into a utensil each day for five continuous days and Salim would drink from it. He did not directly drink from the bréast of Sahla, as it is not permitted to expose one’s awrah in front of a non-Mahram adult let alone have him suckled. Imam Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani (Allah have mercy on him) has also mentioned this in his al-Isaba fi tamiz al-Sahaba. (See: Tabaqat Ibn Sa’d, 8/271 & al-Isaba, 4/337)
the emboldened was gotten from http://www.daruliftaa.com/node/6030?txt_QuestionID
I just brought that because some non-muslims and shi'as at times bring that narration to vilify Ahlus-sunnah wal jama'ah.
No, since the correct view is that it was specific to sahlah and saalim, she does not become mother to her husband because following the correct opinion establishes that to be a mahram through breastfeeding it must be done on an infant below the age of 2.
I hope the explanation was clear, if no pls ask,
and Allaah knows best.

Masha Allah!

Our Nairaland Grant Mufti has spoken! grin
Re: Becoming A Mahram Through Breastfeeding – Fataawa Islamiyyah – Shaykh Ibn Baaz by Nobody: 7:50am On Oct 12, 2016
MrOlai:

Masha Allah!
Our Nairaland Grant Mufti has spoken! grin
lol, omo ile kew lawa o grin

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

I Need Clarification On This. / Beautiful Dua From The Holy Qur'aan. / Eid-l-fitri 2019: Moon Sighted, Sultan Declares Tomorrow Tuesday Eid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.