Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,792 members, 7,820,785 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:35 PM

Entrepreneurship Is Overrated! A Better Approach To Unemployment - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Entrepreneurship Is Overrated! A Better Approach To Unemployment (636 Views)

Entrepreneurship Is For The Rich or The Poor? / Entrepreneurship Is Not The Solution. / Freelancing: A Quick Escape For Unemployment Among Nigerian Youths (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Entrepreneurship Is Overrated! A Better Approach To Unemployment by WebGuy: 6:25pm On Oct 12, 2016
Every few months, the National Youth Service Corps turns out thousands of fresh corp members who had completed their one-year mandatory service to join the teeming population of young unemployed graduates.

With the unemployment rate at 13.3 percent in the second quarter of the year and a tendency to increase in the next few months, many people have proposed that young people should start their own business as a way out of this national dilemma. Well, I disagree totally.

I believe in entrepreneurship, or why else would I have become an entrepreneur myself? What I strongly advocate against is resorting to entrepreneurship as bailout from economic and financial mess.

An entrepreneur is someone who takes calculated risks to add value to a wider society with the hope of making money and building wealth not an unemployed, frustrated graduate who happens to find himself in entrepreneurship as a result of no choice. Not everybody is cut out of entrepreneurship, so youths shouldn’t be misled into thinking that struggling to build a business with no knowledge or capacity to run a business, is a fool proof way to earn a means of livelihood.

What unemployed graduates should do instead:

1 . Find out what your natural giftings are: We are all gifted in certain ways and we all can do certain things better and easier than others. Find out what it is.

2. Improve on the gift: It is important to be really good at what you do. Read books, attend seminars, talk to mentors… Know your stuff. Also get to know the market in which you operate in.

3 . Locate your market: Look for individuals, groups, and organizations that are in need of your skill and market yourself to them.

4 . Don’t stop improving on yourself: Learning is a continuous process. Don’t limit the amount of knowledge or qualifications you wish to attain. You never know what little bit of knowledge will help you propel your career.

5 . Be an intrapreneur: Get a paid job (if possible) while you improve on your skill and its marketability. This helps you to gather experience and funds to establish your own business.

Raising entrepreneurs is a key step in resolving the unemployment issue in Nigeria, but it must be approached from a better perspective.

http://sobolation.com/entrepreneurship-overrated-better-approach-unemployment/

1 Share

Re: Entrepreneurship Is Overrated! A Better Approach To Unemployment by WebGuy: 6:25pm On Oct 12, 2016
What do you think?
Re: Entrepreneurship Is Overrated! A Better Approach To Unemployment by dake40(m): 8:46pm On Oct 12, 2016
Good Observation from you SIR,

But I'm sorry, you took the term BUSINESS and ENTREPRENEURSHIP as synonyms. The former is an offspring of the latter. Mark Zurk, Oluwaseun Osewa,Linda ikeji e.t.c are all entrepreneurs.

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/197850

You wrote

"1 . Find out what your natural giftings are: We are all gifted in certain ways and we all can do certain things better and easier than others. Find out what it is.

2. Improve on the gift: It is important to be really good at what you do. Read books, attend seminars, talk to mentors… Know your stuff. Also get to know the market in which you operate in.

3 . Locate your market: Look for individuals, groups, and organizations that are in need of your skill and market yourself to them.

4 . Don’t stop improving on yourself: Learning is a continuous process. Don’t limit the amount of knowledge or qualifications you wish to attain. You never know what little bit of knowledge will help you propel your career.

What an Irony, all these you've listed above are some of the attributes of Entrepreneurship. In as much as you Innovate and Subjectively bring your Ideas into reality, You are an Entrepreneur

The term ENTREPRENEURSHIP is broader in significance.

You should make your research sir.

(1) (Reply)

Lawyers In The House Help Please / I Want To Transfer Money To Someone In China / 5 Most Lucrative Environments To Get An Office Space In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.