Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,854 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:42 AM

My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia (47705 Views)

Nigerian Girl In Russia Talks About Life In Russia, Racism And What Life Is Like / Nigerians, Lets Go On A Vacation / TBS BRT Bus Station: First Time Experience During Rush Hour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by obontami: 11:59pm On Oct 13, 2016
Histrings08:
Racism can't be eradicated.. Ask me why nd I'll explain
why please tell me
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by metallisc(m): 12:03am On Oct 14, 2016
PunterTim:
It beats me atimes when peeps get affected by this!.Why would i be concerned when someone insults my skin color.There is absolutely nothing wrong with me being black and the whole world knows it,why should i be bothered.

I'm sorry but peeps that these things get to are fragile,weak emotionally and psychologically!

1 Like

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Klinee: 12:04am On Oct 14, 2016
john650:

If you've never being, then don't say what you don't know. Even in the USA, where there is a large black population, there are many communities where a white person will not walk towards you on the same path of the road. Instead, they will cross the road and walk on the other side.
It is a fat lie!!!!!!!
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by obontami: 12:05am On Oct 14, 2016
rosieflower2:
I can only imagine.... Kpele o

Wow so pretty

cheesy
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by metallisc(m): 12:07am On Oct 14, 2016
themosthigh:

You are a very big liar. I have lived in St. Petersburg for 15 years and never experienced anything like this....there are few racists and incidents but nobody will stare at you in those countries since everywhere is filled with blacks and they even have more than 3 Nigerian restaurant and one of it is run by my wife. Is it by force to make it to the front page?
Even when I was living in Novosibirsk as the very few black person. I never experienced any form of racism and the occasional stares was out of curiosity not hate.
Unless maybe you are a remarkably ugly person or your attire was unbelievably ancient or weird which in that case you will get stares even in you hamlet

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Originalsly: 12:07am On Oct 14, 2016
Richy4:

searching his bag without searching that of his partner was not how to figure someone out sir..... refusing to give him back his bag and having a field day making fun of him was not the way to figure one out.... why do you think a superior police officer will ask his mate to apologize?..Do you think it was easy to ask a uniformed person to tender an apology just like that? The way i see it, his anger is justified...
No doubt..the Police was racist (what's new?)...I guess I was expecting the public to be hostile...but then again...guess being with his white mate helped a lot.
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by kenraj(m): 12:07am On Oct 14, 2016
Mekky2010:
I studied in Moscow and must frankly say that your experience is not a common one, St Pburg is a tourist city where millions of foreigners visit yearly. My guess is that you were probably forming Americana, with your shoes, shirt, etc displaying American flag and Russians have natural disdain for US more than the colour of your skin.

If u ever wish to visit Russia again, contact me, I ll get my pals to give you the amazing Russian hospitality ....

I hope you were able to visit Petergof before the bad experience...

The story got me gazed. I have been living in St.petersburg for about 6 years and i tell you point blank that i have never experienced such. Not even with the police. I am not denying the fact that racism exist irrespective of region, but i can tell you point blank it has drastically reduced compared to this narration from our brother.

I am happy you stated that St.petersburg is a tourist city and according to UNESCO, Its the 10th most visited tiurist city in the world. You dont have to bother your friends to give him the hospitality treat.. I promise to do that on his next trip and I am ready to clear his doubt.

OP.. Are you its St.Petersburg, Russia you visited?

3 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by kidman96(m): 12:09am On Oct 14, 2016
otokx:
Feel free to visit Port Harcourt with your white friend; nobody will abuse you racially.

They'll just kidnap the friend. Its not personal.

1 Like

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by cooltola(m): 12:11am On Oct 14, 2016
Na we cause am, when we see oyinbo in our turf regardless if they get money or not, we will be treating them like Kings. Nothing wrong being friendly. But some of us will do extra just to be nice. What do you expect in Russia? You have not heard of stories from our fellow brothers in Moscow. PLease do your homework first before visiting some cities of Europe.

6 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by kenraj(m): 12:13am On Oct 14, 2016
themosthigh:

You are a very big liar. I have lived in St. Petersburg for 15 years and never experienced anything like this....there are few racists and incidents but nobody will stare at you in those countries since everywhere is filled with blacks and they even have more than 3 Nigerian restaurant and one of it is run by my wife. Is it by force to make it to the front page?
Even when I was living in Novosibirsk as the very few black person. I never experienced any form of racism and the occasional stares was out of curiosity not hate.
Unless maybe you are a remarkably ugly person or your attire was unbelievably ancient or weird which in that case you will get stares even in you hamlet
\

You can imagine the big lie.. I still live in SPB till this moment since about 6 years and i can say categorically that the Op lied.

1 Like

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by IGLE25(m): 12:15am On Oct 14, 2016
Exactly.... Let haters keep hating blacks while the black keep progressing!!!!
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by nzeBiddle(m): 12:17am On Oct 14, 2016
I can relate ...I live in Berlin - have hardly had any issues here ...but the moment I went to neighboring Poland - Sczcecin, Krakow and Wroclaw on a weeklong tour with a group of buddies ( some latinos and a couple of europeans... i was the only black person among the 8 of us) I 'jammed' covert racism first- hand. At the airport I am pulled aside and searched further (more or less frisked) while my mates are just passed after presenting documents without further checks. Same rubbish would repeat itself time and again in inter-city train stations. Hanging out at night was almost a nightmare especially in Sczcecin as some drunk eggheads be wan mob us one of them nights shouting specifically at me "go back to your country bla bla" .wan even come ginger fight lol. Too many funny experiences.

I keep telling my mans dem back home, nor be by bla bla I wan cut out, I wan cut out; Nothing like your own country at the end of the day. You will never appreciate/ understand how crucial your dignity as a human being is untill you are constantly subjected to racism - overt or covert. Believe me RACIAL PROFILING kills slowly - particularly when you are subjected to such time and again.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by danwilliams4u(m): 12:18am On Oct 14, 2016
Histrings08:
Racism can't be eradicated.. Ask me why nd I'll explain
why
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by mytym(m): 12:23am On Oct 14, 2016
ERONX:
It all happened on the 10th of October I left home in Ontario and decided to go on vacation in the beautiful city of st Petersburg with a childhood friend of mine who is White. When taking our usual tour walk with our complete papers and tourist passport, I observed that most people along the street kept on staring and moving away from us especially me....

We later discovered we've missed our way because we visited most of the tour centers with our map, so we decided to ask the locals around for help. When I approached them for direction, although we had issues with language difference they would just grin and shout out loud, some would run away and avoid me from getting close when I tried asking for direction.

I finally discovered I was been avoided because of my dark skin colour, so i asked my friend to do the questioning while I stood far away but there was no way they could help even with the map due to the language difference. They offered assistance by pointing to a police stand we went there with the intention of asking for direction, the two policemen shook hands with my white friend but ignored shaking hands with me, after giving us directions on how we could get a cab that will take us to our hotel, we thanked them and we were about leaving the policemen called us back and asked what I'm carrying in my backpack. I told him I have my papers some money and my lunch. He took the bag from me checked it himself he saw my papers were complete yet he refused returning my backpack, i got very angry and asked him to return my backpack yet he refused my friend tried pleading yet he refused...

What made me angry was because he didn't ask for the contents in my friend's backpack when he saw how furious and angry I've become, he returned the backpack and started raining abusive racist word in both Russian and English. I threatened him I would file a complaint to the Russian Police, and told him I would file legal actions against him. After threatening him, he stopped the insult and in a few minutes a police car drove to our scene i believe the locals around contacted the police. A superior officer from the police vehicle apologised on his behalf, he was also asked to apologise which he did reluctantly the most embarrassing part of it was when all the drama was unfolding the locals around gathered to catch a glimpse of what was happening while others took pictures.

We finally got back to the hotel I was very angry all through, I had to reschedule for the next flight and I went back home the next day.

All through my lifetime I have never been subjected to such a degrading and embarrassing moment.

RACISM IS BAD #SAYNOTORACISM

Whenever i hear sad tales of racism from victims, i find solace in this song by John Stephens (John Legend) and Lonnie Lynn (Common). The song titled GLORY is written as a soundtrack to the movie SELMA - A movie on Disenfranchisement of Black Voters, their pains, struggle and victory...

One day
When the Glory is come,
It Would Be Ours, It Would Be ours

Oh One Day
When the War is Won,
We Would Be Sure, We Would Be Sure

O Glory!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by AfroBlue(m): 12:40am On Oct 14, 2016
funny that op finally got his/her oyinbo wake up racism call grin

live in an oyinbo nation (canada i presume).

hang out with an oyinbo friend.

spend your hard earned money on a vacation to yet anoda oyinbo nation while many of your kinsmen back home in the motherland are suffering deep recession and hunger pains.

cry

7 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by namuguibe(m): 12:49am On Oct 14, 2016
bettercreature:
Sue who? You seems never travelled abroad.
Sorry bro discrimination is everywhere it's just worse in Asia.Next time send your white friend
Dont take public transport i mean train or bus
Dont use the same lift with white people
Don't greet them
Try to be confident and proud
Avoid walking alone esp in Asia
Always go straight to the police if you miss the road
Don't swim when they are in pool or nearby
Don't gym when they are there
Avoid going to tennis court when they are there
Find a black dominated church
The list is endless
Which country in Asia is this that you visited and had this experience?

1 Like

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Sanchase: 12:50am On Oct 14, 2016
Any Non-English speaking country you visit is always more challenging than English speaking countries.

Even a lot of British are racists even though they colonised us let to talk of non English speaking countries.

Just the difficulty in pronouncing African names is a very racial issue in countries like Britain, so imagine Russia that don't even use the English alphabets.

The real British will tell you we give equal opportunity but it doesn't mean it is equal rights.

2 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Nobody: 12:57am On Oct 14, 2016
Zenit Petersburg sometimes ago sold ALL black players in their team, black Americans, black Europeans, all the black.... Petersburg is no go area fr black in Russia...

2 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Ask4Info: 1:00am On Oct 14, 2016
Nigerians are the biggest racist.

4 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Nobody: 1:01am On Oct 14, 2016
FastShipping:
Racism is everywhere in the west. Don't be shocked to read from me that racism in the US is high as ever. I have seen it all.

Racism in the US is advanced on a higher level it's the type that affects a opportunities of a race, racism in other country is nothing compared to the US. F.cuk America
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Bollinger(m): 1:07am On Oct 14, 2016
FastShipping:
Racism is everywhere in the west. Don't be shocked to read from me that racism in the US is high as ever. I have seen it all.

I'd rather take racism in the west than tribalism in Nigeria (Which is not as rampant as you make it sound). If you respect yourself and the law, no one will phuck with you. At least one can understand why someone could be racist. People react to something that is different to them. What doesn't make sense is when blacks are racist to one another. Not in another man's land, but in their own country. Wrap your head around that.

4 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Largeabbey: 1:07am On Oct 14, 2016
In Germany are a lot of Russians and one Russian guy blantantly told me that many Russians are racists which I have honestly noticed myself.

2 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by kachi19: 1:10am On Oct 14, 2016
if u wanna experience racism first hand, Russia is your destination wink

2 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by DICKtator: 1:32am On Oct 14, 2016
amanikondo:

My friend once lived in one part of South Korea. Imagine he was in an elevator and when the elevator opened, all the people that wanted to go in ran away on seeing him.

grin grin grin grin
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by delishpot: 1:33am On Oct 14, 2016
engrchykae:
I ADVICE AFRICANS ESPECIALLY NIGERIANS TO BE ANNOYINGLY PROUD,ARROGANT,CONFIDENT,PHYSICALLY FIT,FINANCIALLY FIT,SOCIALLY RELEVANT,CONTEST FOR POLITICAL OFFICES,ACQUIRES LOTS OF SKILL.
THIS IS THE SWEETEST REVENGE YOU CAN HAVE OVER. THE SICK WHITE RACE,ASK THE JEWS,RUN THE WHITE,NEVER LET THEM RUN YOU,THE. JEWS ARE DOING IT. SO. WE CAN DO IT BETTER..

Jews are smart. Black brains need resetting we have let ourselves go

1 Like

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by HBIAFRA1: 1:41am On Oct 14, 2016
Even the tribalism in nigeria is worse than the recism in western world, the level of hatred the yorubas have for the Igbos is nothing to write home about, I remembered when my landlady back then tore an Igbo lady's cloth just on the grounds say d lady always buys new clothes and flaunts her beauty, d woman said to d lady " u buy new cloth and u go de form " as she held the cloth and tore it, later said Igbos should pack out of her house, its only God who doesn't reject or discriminate so bros no vex for russians, when u are in asia pls stop talking to dem anYhow just be bold on your own, we are all wonderfully and fearfully made....lol

2 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by DICKtator: 1:42am On Oct 14, 2016
nzeBiddle:
I can relate ...I live in Berlin - have hardly had any issues here ...but the moment I went to neighboring Poland - Sczcecin, Krakow and Wroclaw on a weeklong tour with a group of buddies ( some latinos and a couple of europeans... i was the only black person among the 8 of us) I 'jammed' covert racism first- hand. At the airport I am pulled aside and searched further (more or less frisked) while my mates are just passed after presenting documents without further checks. Same rubbish would repeat itself time and again in inter-city train stations. Hanging out at night was almost a nightmare especially in Sczcecin as some drunk eggheads be wan mob us one of them nights shouting specifically at me "go back to your country bla bla" .wan even come ginger fight lol. Too many funny experiences.

I keep telling my mans dem back home, nor be by bla bla I wan cut out, I wan cut out; Nothing like your own country at the end of the day. You will never appreciate/ understand how crucial your dignity as a human being is untill you are constantly subjected to racism - overt or covert. Believe me RACIAL PROFILING kills slowly - particularly when you are subjected to such time and again.

I still marvel at how you talk about racism by comparing ones country is respect their dignity over another. Nigeria is a tribalistic country and tribalism is a subset of racism.
There is no difference in both. To even make it worse, people from the same tribe still Stereotype and discriminate against their kind!!. This is why racism in foreign country is nothing but laughable because most Nigerians have experienced it in another form(tribalism)

The only reason why it is worrisome abroad is because with the supposed level of exposure of the white man and how liberal thy are, it should have been a thing of the last but alas, it isn't.

Quite shameful though

grin grin grin grin
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by bookface: 1:53am On Oct 14, 2016
I am surprised by the comments i see here.

Most of you that compare tribalism to racism don't really know what true racism feels like.

You haven't yet experienced being publicly humiliated, discredited, and lowered in a foreign country, all just because of your skin colour. It is not an experience i would wish on an enemy.

You haven't experienced the monkey calls, being spat at, assaulted, or trampled on - you haven't felt being hated, for no single reason at all. Unless you take a mile walk in OP's shoes, then stay in your quiet village, eat some cassava and shut the hell up!

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Nobody: 1:55am On Oct 14, 2016
AfroBlue:
funny that op finally got his/her oyinbo wake up racism call grin

live in an oyinbo nation (canada i presume).

hang out with an oyinbo friend.

spend your hard earned money on a vacation to yet anoda oyinbo nation while many of your kinsmen back home in the motherland are suffering deep recession and hunger pains.

cry
There is racism everywhere, even Ontario in canada where the op likely came from is not an exception. We all know how the natives are being treated, and a black canadian girl recently wrote an article for vice news about racism she experienced in her four years of studying at a university in london, ontario. Although i have friends that have experienced racism all over the country, I haven't personally experienced one yet and i dont pray too. If i do experience one, i would not be shocked. Lol
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Mille: 1:57am On Oct 14, 2016
topsyking:

seriously what are u looking for in russia.. do some research before travlling to some countries .. you see how many blacks even nigerians been killed in russia,ukraine.

@ mille.. am surprise to hear that.. i have lived in cluj and nothing like that ever happen.. i think romania are even more friendlier than some eastern europe..hate hungary like shit, try poland .. you will hate yourself..

Oh really? Yes, they are mostly friendly except for some idiots.

What's wrong with Hungary. Never been there but the Hungarian women I have met and talked to love black men like mad. I have lots and lots of date offers from them, very beautiful and above my class. I've been running from them because I don't have enough to be spending on dates. But I surely will go to 2 this weekend.

I'm surprised to hear of Poland. The three Polish colleagues I have (all Erasmus female students) are actually very nice to me. One even told me her sister is married to a black man. I need more info on Poland because I have promised to come visit them in Warsaw after the Erasmus.

3 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by ABEngine(m): 1:59am On Oct 14, 2016
After all these buy "made in Nigeria" to grow the Naira campaign, you left the likes of Yankari Game Reserves, Obudu, Ikpoba hills, Ugwuta Lake resorts and the likes for St. Petersburg and still summoned the courage to come to Nairaland and complain.

Those thugs in Police outfits dey you like people wey Oga Seun fit bully?

OK.. Kwantinue.

I believe Czech would have been more welcoming though it's certainly devoid of the surging tourists at the moment.

Bros no mind me o... na shjooke i dey o

1 Like

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Mayflowa(m): 2:11am On Oct 14, 2016
bettercreature:
Sue who? You seems never travelled abroad.
Sorry bro discrimination is everywhere it's just worse in Asia.Next time send your white friend
Dont take public transport i mean train or bus
Dont use the same lift with white people
Don't greet them
Try to be confident and proud
Avoid walking alone esp in Asia
Always go straight to the police if you miss the road
Don't swim when they are in pool or nearby
Don't gym when they are there
Avoid going to tennis court when they are there
Find a black dominated church
The list is endless

Are you serious on these?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Air Peace: Allen Onyema Crying As Nigerians Return From South Africa / 11 Reasons Why You Must Japa From Nigeria / Woman On Attacked Kaduna-Abuja Train Returns To Same Seat (See Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.