Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:48 AM

Site Overhaul Review: Www.semeonline.com - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Site Overhaul Review: Www.semeonline.com (1244 Views)

Pls Review Www.ebusinessinfos.com / Help Review Www.9jaboys.com / Can You Please Review Www.ogbongeblog.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Site Overhaul Review: Www.semeonline.com by WebMonk(m): 7:52am On Dec 29, 2006
I just redisigned my site. All constructive critism are welcome
Lemme know what you think
Re: Site Overhaul Review: Www.semeonline.com by my2cents(m): 12:00pm On Dec 29, 2006
I try recusing from critiquing flash sites. Nothing against them, especially those implemented well. I just stay away from them purely on a poor usability standpoint. Having said that, I would like to tip my hat to you for being very creative. Not everyone can pull off a cool-looking flash website, not to mention a cross-browser one. Look at www.akwaibomstategov.com in both IE and FF to see why I think that some flash "gurus" should be shot at sight grin

I like the "v2" grin as well. One thing though - under "Illustrations" in your "portfolio" section - when I clicked on each illustration, it took me to a "404" error page. Also, the flash file is pretty large, but I guess there isn't much you can do about that in terms of optimization. See, and I know it may sound archaic, but I still have a 56K modem at home and it hurts me to sit and wait for a large page to load. In your case, a whole 85 seconds.

If you could fix at least the former though, then I would say your redesign is 100% certified cool
Re: Site Overhaul Review: Www.semeonline.com by Afam(m): 12:30pm On Dec 29, 2006
my2cents:

Look at www.akwaibomstategov.com in both IE and FF to see why I think that some flash "gurus" should be shot at sight grin

@My2cents,

Never ever ask people to visit that site again, was the site setup for free or what? So many images that won't load and an excellent time waster.
Re: Site Overhaul Review: Www.semeonline.com by WebMonk(m): 4:20pm On Dec 29, 2006
@ my2cents, thanks for the reply.

as for the major flash file, true, not much could be done concerning optimization. Perhaps i'll replace some of the slides i used. I just tried the illustration section. worked well here. could you give me more info? (flash version, browser you were using when the bug occured, etc)

Thanks a lot for the feedback
Re: Site Overhaul Review: Www.semeonline.com by my2cents(m): 4:58pm On Dec 29, 2006
Afam,

LOL. I will try to reduce my references to that site. I just like using it over and over again to drive my point home on bad flash implementation grin As for what the site costs, I don't know, however I was recently asked to put in a Request for Proposal for a site redesign, so we shall see. Point noted sha.

WebMonk (y your name reminds me of kung-fu film, I don't know wink),
Steps to reproduce:
Home page -> Portfolios -> Illustration
I use Firefox 1.5.0.9 and I have Flash 9. My PC runs Windows XP.

Specific URLs:
http://www.semeonline.com/images%5Cartwork%5Cgrave_poster_final.jpg
http://www.semeonline.com/images%5Cartwork%5CA-Knights-Journey.jpg
http://www.semeonline.com/images%5Cartwork%5Ctale_of_two_sisters.jpg

Basically, all 3 illustrations are "404", but just wanted to provide you with direct links. If my suspicions are right, then it has to do with "%5" used in place of "/". As I nod to the beats of your website tongue, I suggest you either encode the URLs or replace the "%5"s in your fla files.

I hope this helps and let me know what you found out.
Re: Site Overhaul Review: Www.semeonline.com by WebMonk(m): 9:51am On Dec 30, 2006
Fixed the bug, a relative link URL conflict with the forward slash "/". Made it an absolute URL. It's working now. Thanks for the info and feeling the beat  grin

(1) (Reply)

Chat Script And Smf Collapsing / Php/mysql Trainings Begins Next Week. / Php Source Code For Calling Calling Individual Student Online Results

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.