Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,182 members, 7,818,574 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:07 PM

Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria (8633 Views)

Prophet Who Practises Both Islam And Christianity In Kogi (Photos, Videos) / How Can Any Intelligent Person Be An Adherent Of Any Of The Abrahamic Religions? / Why Africans Should Not Follow Abrahamic Religions (christianity, Islam, Judaism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by DoctorAlien(m): 1:24pm On Oct 16, 2016
Can you please, in one word, describe a person who asserts that "religion makes people unpatriotic"? sad

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by kilo4sure: 1:27pm On Oct 16, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

the example can be changed to many other things and would still stay the same

health and well-being for instance, I would just abandon my present health if I'm sure to be at optimal health in 20 year's time no matter what

to the heavenly treasures, its obvious its not helping us as a nation

most people are concentrated so much on that heavenly treasures that they've abandoned earthly ones to wishful thinking

why would I make this world a better place with so much effort if all it takes for me to get the heavenly one is simply to believe a Jew that died in a small Israeli village died for my sins and loves me OR the Islamic version?

its obvious we want the path of least resistance, we want excess results with little efforts

making the world a better place is much more difficult, its impossible for everyone on earth to have their mansions anyways, so we simply cling on to the infinite mansions in heaven

there's a saying in Yoruba which I heard in a movie

"when a child sees honey, he simply gets rid of the bean cake" (I don't know if I translated it properly, Yoruba people can help)

it simply translates to the fact that he got rid of something that is good (Beancake) for something much more sweeter (Honey)

that actually captures the average Abrahamic religion adherents
Why would l abandon my present health if l'm sure to be healthy in 20 years time? I don't get you. Anyway, what more can l say? just wanted to correct the impression that the bible promises mansions in heaven simply as a means to escape the world, there are great works to be done in order to attain such mansions. Go find out what those works are.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by DoctorAlien(m): 1:33pm On Oct 16, 2016
Somebody is the only survivor of a ghastly motor accident. Can you give me one logical reason why he should not thank his GOD for sparing his life?

NB: thanking GOD is not the same as not feeling grief for the loss of the other passengers.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by DoctorAlien(m): 1:39pm On Oct 16, 2016
I just discovered another baseless claim in this post sad

we have become a country whose populace depend on wishful thinking, "god will do it" "only god can save us" "god will punish our leaders", and are psychologically unmotivated to be the change we seek. We are still incapable of providing ourselves with basic infrastructure for ourselves.

Can you support this with verifiable statistics?

Can you prove that Christians don't do their best to support the progress of this country, and to be good citizens?

If you cannot prove this with unfalsifiable statistics, then you don't even know why you wrote this uneducative piece.
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by hopefulLandlord: 1:40pm On Oct 16, 2016
kilo4sure:

Why would l abandon my present health if l'm sure to be healthy in 20 years time? I don't get you. Anyway, what more can l say? just wanted to correct the impression that the bible promises mansions in heaven simply as a means to escape the world, there are great works to be done in order to attain such mansions. Go find out what those works are.

maybe the bible didn't say that which is your own interpretation of it

but simply listen to early morning preachers

"where would you spend your eternity"

"vanity upon vanities"

"hell and heaven is real"

"come to Jesus today"

"there would be no sickness in heaven"

"no wars"

"eternal happiness and bliss"
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by kilo4sure: 1:49pm On Oct 16, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

maybe the bible didn't say that which is your own interpretation of it

but simply listen to early morning preachers

"where would you spend your eternity"

"vanity upon vanities"

"hell and heaven is real"

"come to Jesus today"

"there would be no sickness in heaven"

"no wars"

"eternal happiness and bliss"
The bible didn't say that? Really? What then is...
I was hungry and you fed me, had no clothes but you clothed me..Those that teach others to do but do not do shall be the least in the kingdom of heaven...fight the good fight of faith etc. And more...Hebrews 12:1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us.
Tell me, what is that race that is set before us?
1 Corinthians 9:24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.
If we don't run do we get the crown? and what is the race all about? when we run do we not run from where we are to where we want to be? And if we run from where we are, wouldn't this make a difference where we are and at a long distance of many kilometers?
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by hopefulLandlord: 2:05pm On Oct 16, 2016
kilo4sure:

The bible didn't say that? Really? What then is...
I was hungry and you fed me, had no clothes but you clothed me..Those that teach others to do but do not do shall be the least in the kingdom of heaven...fight the good fight of faith etc. And more...Hebrews 12:1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us.
Tell me, what is that race that is set before us?

it seems we are still saying the same thing and I like the fact that this discussion is very mature, no name calling or aggressiveness

Christianity itself needs to be united first, let us know which is right and wrong form of it because there's lots of confusion already amongst them and they all say they're the right one; they also claim to talk to the holy spirit and are directed by it which makes no sense

when you eventually unite (which is close to impossible) or at least have some semblance of unity, then maybe just maybe some of us might join you

but lest we lose track of the primary discussion (we digressed a lot) we need to separate religion from governance and politics

those developed countries have done that but still finds nothing wrong in you practicing your religion, so long it doesn't conflict with the society

look at USA, they legalised "Sodomy" and became "Sodom and Gomorrah" in the bible but our fellow Nigerian Christians would give testimony when they get visa to live in "Sodom"

truth is that they allowed religion to have its place and gave it the middle finger when it hinders what they term as social well-being

religion has its good use and I'll be idiotic to say otherwise but has to be reigned or it gets out of control like we have in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by Ranchhoddas: 2:38pm On Oct 16, 2016
The same mischievous tactic of blaming religion for all our woes as a nation. The procedure for nation-building is totally independent of religion. Our ''over-religiousity'' if anything is a product of bad governance and not vice-versa.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by plaetton: 3:11pm On Oct 16, 2016
I have asked myself many many times why I loathe religion, the Abrahamic religions so much. I ask myself this question quite often because the last thing I want to become is bigot, to be the very thing that I loathe so much.
And it comes to this.
In the course of my life, I have interacted with people from many many different nationalities, in school, at work, in business, and in social settings, with different cultures and religious worldviews.

A popular belief among Caucasians and Asians are that Blacks have lower cranial dexterity. As a black person, we do all we can to dispel this idea that we are not as smart as everyone else.

However, our affinity for fables, superstition and stone age nonsense is a monumental embarrassment to those who work hard to show that Blacks have as much cranial dexterity as everyone other race.

The other day at an event, I overheard two gentlemen talking seriously about a conference. I crashed in on the conversation, curious to know whether they talking about an economic conference, business conference or whatever was of interest.
They were talking about a Bible conference. Imagine the disappointment in my face. It was like cold water was poured on my curiosity and excitement.

There, I began to ask myself again, why does religion, middle East religion of 2000yrs ago, occupy sooooo much of the African mind ?

The truth is that I have never in my life experiences, walked in on non-Africans( Nigerians) having a serious discussion about religion, the Bible, God etc. These issues only come up when , out of curiosity, I introduce the topic.

What is the allure of " the supernatural" and hand-me-down tokumbo religions to Africans ?

In a typical social setting, try to gather some Nigerians to discuss, for good example , the international space station, or the discovery of new planets and stars. You would likely receive scoffs, mockery of the " white man's" attempt to usurp god.

I try seriously to understand the psychology of religion, as it relates to the African mind.

Is it our poor educational standards?

Is it a deliberately planted TROJAN HORSE by the cunning Europeans ?

Is it just an accident of history that religious superstitions just happened to be a convenient and timely SUBSTITUTE for our own discredited cultural superstitions?

Or,
Is it actually true that Blacks are mentally lazy, and hardwired for simple superstitions that do not involve the rigors of empirical investigations ?

Religion, for me, tends to confirm the stereotype that Africans are mentally lazy, hence the deep attachments , and serious pre-occupation with silly beliefs that add ZERO values to our lives, our SOCIETIES, our future.

This why I see people like Adeboye, Oyedepo, Oyaks and the many many hordes of them as purveyors of WEAPONS OF MIND DESTRUCTION ( WMD).

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by plaetton: 3:57pm On Oct 16, 2016
^ ^
Going back to my reference to the international Space Station(ISS), I have another story worth telling.

Sometime ago this year, I visited very good old friend's house.
Being the kindred spirit that I am, his two young kids took to me instantly. I was happy with their energy and curiosity. They bombarded with questions one after the other about science and nature.
We eventually got around to the International Space Station. They had never heard of it before. I took the cue to tell them all about, showed them the amazing pictures with smartphone. In fact, I went a step further by showing them a live feed from the ISS on a smartphone app.
The excitements on their faces was simply priceless.

Then the father walked in, they ran to him to show him what they just discovered.

Guess what he did ?

He scoffed, scolded and told them to stop that nonsense.

I was shocked, but not too shocked.
He is a Jehovah's Witness.

Just Imagine the healthy curiosity of millions of Nigerian children, Nigeria's future, shot down and relegated every single day by middle East stone age bullshytes. undecided

20 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by kazyhm(m): 4:15pm On Oct 16, 2016
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by kazyhm(m): 4:22pm On Oct 16, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

it seems we are still saying the same thing and I like the fact that this discussion is very mature, no name calling or aggressiveness

Christianity itself needs to be united first, let us know which is right and wrong form of it because there's lots of confusion already amongst them and they all say they're the right one; they also claim to talk to the holy spirit and are directed by it which makes no sense

when you eventually unite (which is close to impossible) or at least have some semblance of unity, then maybe just maybe some of us might join you

but lest we lose track of the primary discussion (we digressed a lot) we need to separate religion from governance and politics

those developed countries have done that but still finds nothing wrong in you practicing your religion, so long it doesn't conflict with the society

look at USA, they legalised "Sodomy" and became "Sodom and Gomorrah" in the bible but our fellow Nigerian Christians would give testimony when they get visa to live in "Sodom"

truth is that they allowed religion to have its place and gave it the middle finger when it hinders what they term as social well-being

religion has its good use and I'll be idiotic to say otherwise but has to be reigned or it gets out of control like we have in Nigeria

cool brain you gat
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by raphieMontella: 4:34pm On Oct 16, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

hmmm

I agree to a large extent with the above

but we have to see that there's a verse being "misinterpreted" according to you but "well interpreted" according to someone else, this is further buttressed by so many denominations of Christianity, each claiming their own interpretation is right

who therefore is actually right?

who is interpreting "vanity upon vanities" the right way?

promise of heaven simply makes many Nigerians lazy about the here and now, that's simply a fact

seriously speaking, if I'm sure that I'll hit £1B lottery in 20 year's time, how do you think I'll put efforts in the here and now? I'll probably just do enough to survive till then, not try to better my life in the now financially since there would be no such thing as financial handicap in my life in 2 decades time,

would you see me saving? building houses? etc

why would I do that when there's a £1B waiting for me in 20 years time?

that is how the concept of afterlife affects the now of the average Nigerian Abrahamic god adherents; just talk to them for a few minutes and they'll quickly spill it to you indirectly
i'm yet to understand what oyedepo is using 4 private jets for..
Sight seeing in heaven?
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by seankay(m): 4:36pm On Oct 16, 2016
This should be on FP. It's eye and mind opening
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by 4kings: 4:39pm On Oct 16, 2016
raphieMontella:

i'm yet to understand what oyedepo is using 4 private jets for..
Sight seeing in heaven?
To spread the Goodnews grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by kazyhm(m): 4:50pm On Oct 16, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by Nobody: 5:25pm On Oct 16, 2016
kilo4sure is the only Christian that tries to make sense on this nairaland I swear.
I can see a silly one up there denying the obvious. Its irritating.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by raphieMontella: 5:27pm On Oct 16, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
The same mischievous tactic of blaming religion for all our woes as a nation. The procedure for nation-building is totally independent of religion. Our ''over-religiousity'' if anything is a product of bad governance and not vice-versa.
the poorer countries tend to be more religious.
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by raphieMontella: 5:28pm On Oct 16, 2016
4kings:
To spread the Goodnews grin
hehe!! He should dash me one and see converts pouring in like ants!!
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by ValentineMary(m): 5:31pm On Oct 16, 2016
Shollyps:
I no fit cope again with unending argument everyday.. I don become a gentle atheist....minding my own business... na radical atheist like you,Hahn,Johny god go punish pass. your own hell fire will be hotter...
God of reason would bless us for saving people from ignorance.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by Ranchhoddas: 5:39pm On Oct 16, 2016
raphieMontella:

the poorer countries tend to be more religious.
Yes. Their religiousity is as a result of their poverty. A good healthcare system will make citizens less likely to pray for healing, a working economy would make them less likely to pray for visa abroad, jobs, contracts etc. An efficient educational system would make students less likely to pray for good grades. Comprende?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by raphieMontella: 5:45pm On Oct 16, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Yes. Their religiousity is as a result of their poverty. A good healthcare system will make citizens less likely to pray for healing, a working economy would make them less likely to pray for visa abroad, jobs, contracts etc. An efficient educational system would make students less likely to pray for good grades. Comprende?
we said the same thing o..i just ''broaded it''..
A country can be poor not only from bad governance.....but other stuffs...
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by ValentineMary(m): 5:46pm On Oct 16, 2016
kilo4sure:

Lol which one be new theist again, l never hear that one before o.
All these theist on NL that just came recently. They hardly make a point just uploading memes here and there
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by Shollyps(m): 5:48pm On Oct 16, 2016
ValentineMary:

God of reason would bless us for saving people from ignorance.
I wanna be bless too o..maybe make I become active again ..lol
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by Ranchhoddas: 5:59pm On Oct 16, 2016
raphieMontella:

we said the same thing o..i just ''broaded it''..
A country can be poor not only from bad governance.....but other stuffs...
Okay. I get.
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by Sammy07: 6:01pm On Oct 16, 2016
I know there will be world war 3 and religious will likely cause the main reason
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by Nobody: 7:06pm On Oct 16, 2016
educating thread.
you may also find this thread interesting

https://www.nairaland.com/3410135/why-must-take-science-more
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by WORLDPEACE(m): 7:29pm On Oct 16, 2016
plaetton:
^ ^
Going back to my reference to the international Space Station(ISS), I have another story worth telling.

Sometime ago this year, I visited very good old friend's house.
Being the kindred spirit that I am, his two young kids took to me instantly. I was happy with their energy and curiosity. They bombarded with questions one after the other about science and nature.
We eventually got around to the International Space Station. They had never heard of it before. I took the cue to tell them all about, showed them the amazing pictures with smartphone. In fact, I went a step further by showing them a live feed from the ISS on a smartphone app.
The excitements on their faces was simply priceless.

Then the father walked in, they ran to him to show him what they just discovered.

Guess what he did ?

He scoffed, scolded and told them to stop that nonsense.

I was shocked, but not too shocked.
He is a Jehovah's Witness.

Just Imagine the healthy curiosity of millions of Nigerian children, Nigeria's future, shot down and relegated every single day by middle East stone bullshytes. undecided
Your story is incomplete. Why did he scoff? Why did he scold them?
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by plaetton: 7:54pm On Oct 16, 2016
WORLDPEACE:

Your story is incomplete. Why did he scoff? Why did he scold them?
Most religious people, Abrahamic religions, think that scientific curiosity and exploration, robs their God of his mystery and majesty.
The more we demystify the universe, the less the need for superstitions and myths to fill in the gaps.

Therefore, my friend's reaction was just probably a programmed knee-jerk reaction.

I see that type of reaction all the time.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by WORLDPEACE(m): 8:05pm On Oct 16, 2016
plaetton:

Most religious people, Abrahamic religions, think that scientific curiosity and exploration, robs their God of his mystery and majesty.
The more we demystify the universe, the less the need for superstitions and myths to fill in the gaps.

Therefore, my friend's reaction was just probably a programmed knee-jerk reaction.

I see that type of reaction all the time.
You cannot make assumptions for your friend. That black and white view of the world that leaves no other shades is harmful to everyone and you are guilty of it. Unless your friend already knows that you are an atheist who is eager to share his unbelief with children, he shouldn't act that way. I know Jehovah's witnesses because I used to be one. They regard science as a tool to prove the existence of God rather than as something to fear. You should next time try to find out why he acted the way he did.
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by plaetton: 8:12pm On Oct 16, 2016
WORLDPEACE:

You cannot make assumptions for your friend. That black and white view of the world that leaves no other shades is harmful to everyone and you are guilty of it. Unless your friend already knows that you are an atheist who is eager to share his unbelief with children, he shouldn't act that way. I know Jehovah's witnesses because I used to be one. They regard science as a tool to proof the existence of God rather than as something to fear. You should next time try to find out why he acted the way he did.

It wasn't my business to probe him. We are tight friends for a long time because we keep religion out of our friendship.
My discussions with the children had absolutely nothing to do with religion, but on the innocent curiosity of children.
If my atheistic worldview was a factor in his reaction, then it still dovetails with my point that religious beliefs tend to snuff out scientific curiosity.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by WORLDPEACE(m): 8:37pm On Oct 16, 2016
plaetton:

It wasn't my business to probe him. We are tight friends for a long time because we keep religion out of our friendship.
My discussions with the children had absolutely nothing to do with religion, but on the innocent curiosity of children.
If my atheistic worldview was a factor in his reaction, then it still dovetails with my point that religious beliefs tend to snuff out scientifically curiosity.
But this case is a poor example. You made an assumption.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Do You Think Jesus Is God? If Yes Then Answer These Questions / Where Is Ife Oodaye Located? / What Does The Bible Mean By The Gates Of Hell?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.