Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:43 AM

Hair Extensions; (PICS) Do You Know Its Source - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Hair Extensions; (PICS) Do You Know Its Source (1006 Views)

Second Income Source Online Steps Not Tutorial / She Has No Source Of Income, Should I Breakup With Her? / Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hair Extensions; (PICS) Do You Know Its Source by NightHawke: 9:13am On Oct 17, 2016
I was amazed after reading the investigative report by Reuters on women's hair extensions in India and felt the need to share. CNN also did a report recently. Most of the persons whose hair are sold into this trade are in abject poverty.
Is the craze for human hair really worth it?

WEAVING PROFITS
Keep your hair on: Africa is a billion-dollar business for Indian beauty firms Manu Balachandran
January 08, 2015
India-Africa-Hair, Hair today, more tomorrow. (Reuters/Siphiwe Sibeko)

Lately, an unusual and lucrative business opportunity has been created in Africa for Indian beauty and wellness companies—human hair.

Indian hair, renowned for its strength and texture, has become a sought-after commodity in Africa, where it is sold as wigs or extensions. The demand is such that it has encouraged many Indian companies to not only weave hair export into their global strategy, but also to invest in hair care business in the continent itself.

On Tuesday, Godrej Consumer Products India announced its plans to acquire the South Africa-based hair extension company Friska hair for an undisclosed amount.

“This acquisition reflects our continued commitment to providing African consumers with a wide range of superior quality products at affordable prices,” the company’s managing director Vivek Gambhir said in a statement (pdf). “We remain very excited by the tremendous potential of the African market.”

Other Indian firms including Marico, Dabur and VLCC also have hair care businesses in African countries such as South Africa, Morocco and Nigeria.
Temple tresses

India’s hair export market is believed to be worth about Rs2500 crore ( $393.5 million), and is posting annual growth between 10% and 30%.

Since urban Indians tend to get chemical treatments for their hair at beauty salons, rural temples and villages are the preferred destinations for exporters looking for natural, high quality hair.

Among the biggest contributors is the Tirupathi Temple in Andhra Pradesh, which holds online auctions annually. Since 2011, it has managed to collect Rs618 crore ($97 million) through the sale of hair via e-auctions.

The Indian hair market is typically known to export two types of hair: Remy and non-Remy. Remy hair, usually collected from temples, is of the highest grade and gives a natural look since the hair cuticles face same directions. Non-Remy hair, on the other hand, is processed because the cuticles do not face the same direction. So it is treated with hydrochloric acid to remove the cuticles, which reduces the quality of hair, before export.
Africa’s hair market

Africa’s dry hair market—as the market for weaves, wigs and extensions is known—is currently estimated to be worth $6 billion a year and growing. As a result, it has drawn global consumer giants such as Unilever and L’Oreal, who are investing heavily in African hair care products.

Since Africa’s young population is poised to expand rapidly (pdf), and urbanisation is increasing, consumer spending on personal care products is also expected to rise. And by all indications, that’s likely to include a lot of Indian hair.
WARNING
October 13, 2016

1 Like

Re: Hair Extensions; (PICS) Do You Know Its Source by Nobody: 9:39am On Oct 17, 2016
Yeepa!

...I don't attach extensions tho
Re: Hair Extensions; (PICS) Do You Know Its Source by YUNGLURD(m): 10:59pm On Oct 17, 2016
grin grin grin grin
Re: Hair Extensions; (PICS) Do You Know Its Source by Ginaz(f): 11:36pm On Oct 17, 2016
Disgusting, fixing someone's hair from God knows where on my head. I hate Brazilian weavon or human hair whatever they call them. It gives u a classical looks and all that I know but I hate the smell. It smells funny, seriously girls needs to chill.

The one I bought recently is still in my wardrobe , I'm seriously wishing I could return it and have my money back. Recession Don change am 4 my side. grin
Re: Hair Extensions; (PICS) Do You Know Its Source by Nobody: 3:17am On Oct 18, 2016
I cannot attach another human beings hair to my head abeg, God forbid. No offence to those that do it. Synthetic is good enough for me, cheap or not.

2 Likes

Re: Hair Extensions; (PICS) Do You Know Its Source by Jdazzle: 9:55pm On Oct 18, 2016
I also cringed when I watched this documentary yesterday on CNN, oh man, what a gory sight...

Synthetic or human shish I believe ladies should learn to groom the hair on their head... not advisable placing someone else's glory on ur head in the name of fashion and beauty...

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Tell Her Bleaching Is Not For Everyone / Man hires a Prostitute from a dating site And His Daughter Turns Up / My Wife Dey Naked Use Kpekus Swear For Me, Pastor Ans Court For Divorce

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.