Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,038 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:27 AM

Are We All Born As Atheists? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are We All Born As Atheists? (2184 Views)

‘I Prefer Non-religious’: Why So Few US Politicians Come Out As Atheists / Why Do People Brand All Non-religious Fellows Here As Atheists? / Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are We All Born As Atheists? by SirShifty: 4:22am On Oct 18, 2016
Are we all born as atheists before we are labelled at birth and told we are Christian, Muslim or Hindu. Over 95% of all people in any given religion were born into it through their parents and therefore indoctrinated from birth to have those beliefs. Religious people can easily see the shortcomings in their respective religions but they fail to see the ones in their own religion.

From birth we are taught to suppress our critical thinking skills, privilege faith over reason and accept whatever our cultures have imposed on us. It is not easy to break free from this indoctrination, a Christian African is a sad site; spreading the same ideology that enslaved his ancestors. An ideology that the people who brought these ideas here are largely abandoning and today they are the biggest mockers of this belief system.

It is high time we abandon religion, so we can progress scientifically and technologically. Think of how ridiculous it is for someone to dismiss Evolution which is backed by over 150 years of research, latest technology, genome sequencing and empirical data simply because of religious beliefs. Africa is awash with religious fundamentalists, superstition, disregard for science, charlatan preachers it is like a plague on our continent. If we could drop these outdated ideas we can make a great step forward to catching up with the rest of the world.

This is a sad state of affairs

18 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Are We All Born As Atheists? by felixomor: 6:58am On Oct 18, 2016
If u are not a hypocrite? How did Christianity enslave your ancestors and why are you using the education and civilization brought by the christian missionaries today?
Where will u have been without the education they brought u? Maybe killing twins and sacrificing human heads and worshipping animals.

Sometimes, u people just write for writing sake. Sorry to say
Mscheww,

1 Like

Re: Are We All Born As Atheists? by SirShifty: 7:25am On Oct 18, 2016
felixomor:
If u are not a hypocrite? How did Christianity enslave your ancestors and why are you using the education and civilization brought by the christian missionaries today?
Where will u have been without the education they brought u? Maybe killing twins and sacrificing human heads and worshipping animals.

Mscheww,
There is not a word of condemnation in the Bible against slavery, it is even openly endorsed and encouraged. The last thing on the mind of missionaries was spreading education and civilization they were here solely to convert people. I am not using the education brought to me by Christian missionaries, if i was i would be a creationist and believe in Adam or Eve or a young earth. The education and civilization i have access to is due to the latest advancements by scientists and innovators not missionaries, we would had access to them regardless of missionaries. They had no problem with the practice of killing twins for over a 100 years, one example of a good woman does not change that.

1 Like

Re: Are We All Born As Atheists? by felixomor: 7:55am On Oct 18, 2016
SirShifty:

There is not a word of condemnation in the Bible against slavery, it is even openly endorsed and encouraged. The last thing on the mind of missionaries was spreading education and civilization they were here solely to convert people. I am not using the education brought to me by Christian missionaries, if i was i would be a creationist and believe in Adam or Eve or a young earth. The education and civilization i have access to is due to the latest advancements by scientists and innovators not missionaries, we would had access to them regardless of missionaries. They had no problem with the practice of killing twins for over a 100 years, one example of a good woman does not change that.

Open lies.

Christianity teaches to love your neighbour as yourself. Period. That commandment covers everything.
Besides the old testament says
Exodus 21:16 And he that stealeth a man, and selleth him, or if he be found in his hand, he shall surely be put to death.

The missionaries brought u education. Built the first schools, thats how education came.
There is no evidence they openly endorsed slavery, sorry.
Slavemasters whom ur ancestors willignly kidnapped and sold their kinsmen to were not the missionaries.
And just listen to urself by saying ur education is due to latest innovators.
So in ur mind, a building can exist without its foundations, right?
And sorry christians were even the pioneers of good education worldwide.
Harvard, Yale and other best universities were built by Christians and their mottos founded on christian ideas.

Please go and read some history before coming up with threads like these.
Re: Are We All Born As Atheists? by SirShifty: 8:30am On Oct 18, 2016
felixomor:

Open lies.

Christianity teaches to love your neighbour as yourself. Period. That commandment covers everything.
Besides the old testament says
Exodus 21:16 And he that stealeth a man, and selleth him, or if he be found in his hand, he shall surely be put to death.

The missionaries brought u education. Built the first schools, thats how education came.
There is no evidence they openly endorsed slavery, sorry.
Slavemasters whom ur ancestors willignly kidnapped and sold their kinsmen to were not the missionaries.
And just listen to urself by saying ur education is due to latest innovators.
So in ur mind, a building can exist without its foundations, right?
And sorry christians were even the pioneers of good education worldwide.
Harvard, Yale and other best universities were built by Christians and their mottos founded on christian ideas.

Please go and read some history before coming up with threads like these.
You clearly have not read your Bible
''When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl’s owner arranges for her to marry his son........ (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

People who happened to be Christians made contributions does not mean that Christianity should be given the praise, would you give credit to Islam for the golden years when they were the leading mathematicians and astronomers while Europe was a backwater
You forget how many scientists and astronomers like Galileo were persecuted by Christians for disputing the claims made in the Bible.
Yes, my current education is due to the latest contributions, people prior to that came from people with all kinds of religious background, people that happened to be Christians does not mean Christianity should get the praise
The fact is the biggest contributions today are being made by non-believers, religion is holding Africa back
Europeans are abandoning religion, the poorest states in the US are in the bible belt
Religion is a stumbling block to progress, in the 21st century with all our advancements it has served its course, God is now irrelevant to explanations of our origin

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are We All Born As Atheists? by RabbaRabbi: 8:35am On Oct 18, 2016
SirShifty:
Are we all born as atheists before we are labelled at birth and told we are Christian, Muslim or Hindu. Over 95% of all people in any given religion were born into it through their parents and therefore indoctrinated from birth to have those beliefs. Religious people can easily see the shortcomings in their respective religions but they fail to see the ones in their own religion.
From birth we are taught to suppress our critical thinking skills, privilege faith over reason and accept whatever our cultures have imposed on us. It is not easy to break free from this indoctrination, a Christian African is a sad site; spreading the same ideology that enslaved his ancestors. An ideology that the people who brought these ideas here are largely abandoning and today they are the biggest mockers of this belief system.
It is high time we abandon religion, so we can progress scientifically and technologically. Think of how ridiculous it is for someone to dismiss Evolution which is backed by over 150 years of research, latest technology, genome sequencing and empirical data simply because of religious beliefs. Africa is awash with religious fundamentalists, superstition, disregard for science, charlatan preachers it is like a plague on our continent. If we could drop these outdated ideas we can make a great step forward to catching up with the rest of the world.

undecidedundecidedundecided
Re: Are We All Born As Atheists? by felixomor: 8:46am On Oct 18, 2016
SirShifty:

You clearly have not read your Bible
''When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl’s owner arranges for her to marry his son........ (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

People who happened to be Christians made contributions does not mean that Christianity should be given the praise, would you give credit to Islam for the golden years when they were the leading mathematicians and astronomers while Europe was a backwater
You forget how many scientists and astronomers like Galileo were persecuted by Christians for disputing the claims made in the Bible.
Yes, my current education is due to the latest contributions, people prior to that came from people with all kinds of religious background, people that happened to be Christians does not mean Christianity should get the praise
The fact is the biggest contributions today are been made by non-believers, religion is holding Africa back
Europeans are abandoning religion, the poorest states in the US are in the bible belt
Religion is a stumbling block to progress, in the 21st century with all our advancements it has served its course, God is now irrelevant do explanations of our origin

U started by saying the bible did not condemn slavery and I showed u both from NT and OT, but now u have change course and started quoting pieces os scripture out of context. Well, that aside knowing well u were wrong on ur first claim.

If u r equating what the catholics did to Christianity, sorry.

Please how many universities did Islam establish?
And besides please if u want to remain on slave trade, go and google and see who beats the islamic transarabic slave trade?
And wait u r now giving credit to islam (a religion)? I thought u said we should do away with all?

And then u say Christianity shouldnt get credit for education, who then should get the credit? Atheists? Mscheww
But the same christianity should be blamed for slave trade.

And sorry there are many religious countries that are prosperous. Sorry religion is not the problem.
Poor leadership is the problem coupled with the blame-blame attitude u r showing right now.

And while u say "God is irrelevant", u r lonely, because majority dont agree with u.
Moreover u r not the first to say it. People said it centuries ago and centuries later we are still praising God.
Re: Are We All Born As Atheists? by SirShifty: 9:25am On Oct 18, 2016
felixomor:

U started by saying the bible did not condemn slavery and I showed u both from NT and OT, but now u have change course and started quoting pieces os scripture out of context. Well, that aside knowing well u were wrong on ur first claim.

If u r equating what the catholics did to Christianity, sorry.

Please how many universities did Islam establish?
And besides please if u want to remain on slave trade, go and google and see who beats the islamic transarabic slave trade?
And wait u r now giving credit to islam (a religion)? I thought u said we should do away with all?

And then u say Christianity shouldnt get credit for education, who then should get the credit? Atheists? Mscheww
But the same christianity should be blamed for slave trade.

And sorry there are many religious countries that are prosperous. Sorry religion is not the problem.
Poor leadership is the problem coupled with the blame-blame attitude u r showing right now.

And while u say "God is irrelevant", u r lonely, because majority dont agree with u.
Moreover u r not the first to say it. People said it centuries ago and centuries later we are still praising God.
How can a verse giving instructions on how to buy and sell your daughter into slavery possibly be out of context
I am by no means praising Islam, i am pointing out that contributions made by people who happened to be muslim should not be attributed to their religion

I can blame Christianity for the slave trade because it endorses it in their scriptures, if God wanted to condemn slavery he would have made it clear as day, why would he leave it to interpretation. He had no problem condemning adultery, blasphemy directly why couldn't he do the same with slavery
Poor leadership helped by religious people sitting in pews being fed opium listening to a pastor or imam paid by a politician to say don't worry God will take care of all our problems all is well just keep on praying and gives us tithes
Look, God is on the ropes the most advanced countries are abandoning religion in droves
Atheism makes us focus on the here and now we are not hoping for some mystic eternal life thing, or divine intervention
Ask yourself one thing, why are majority of the leading scientists and physicists non-religious, God is not even a subject of discussion in their circles.
God does truly exist, only in the minds of people and he is important to many, that does not change the fact that he is irrelevant in explaining our origins

4 Likes

Re: Are We All Born As Atheists? by felixomor: 9:49am On Oct 18, 2016
SirShifty:

How can a verse giving instructions on how to buy and sell your daughter into slavery possibly be out of context
I am by no means praising Islam, i am pointing out that contributions made by people who happened to be muslim should not be attributed to their religion

I can blame Christianity for the slave trade because it endorses it in their scriptures, if God wanted to condemn slavery he would have made it clear as day, why would he leave it to interpretation. He had no problem condemning adultery, blasphemy directly why couldn't he do the same with slavery
Poor leadership helped by religious people sitting in pews being fed opium listening to a pastor or imam paid by a politician to say don't worry God will take care of all our problems all is well just keep on praying and gives us tithes
Look, God is on the ropes the most advanced countries are abandoning religion in droves
Atheism makes us focus on the here and now we are not hoping for some mystic eternal life thing, or divine intervention
Ask yourself one thing, why are majority of the leading scientists and physicists non-religious, God is not even a subject of discussion in their circles.
God does truly exist, only in the minds of people and he is important to many, that does not change the fact that he is irrelevant in explaining our origins

Cut the talk on slavery, u made a claim on the bible and I debunked it.
Period.
The last time I checked, religious people still made up the most of nobel prize winners.
I dont know where u got ur stats from.
And when u say God is irrelevant, statistically speaking, u r wrong.
There is still no better explanation for the origin of the universe than his creation, sorry.
Re: Are We All Born As Atheists? by malvisguy212: 9:55am On Oct 18, 2016
SirShifty:

the slavery described in the Old Testament was quite different from the kind of slavery we think of today in which people are captured and sold as slaves. According to Old Testament law, anyone caught selling another person into slavery was to be executed:

He who kidnaps a man, whether he sells
him or he is found in his possession, shall
surely be put to death." ( Exodus 21:16)

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is
neither slave nor free man, there is neither
male nor female; for you are all one in Christ
Jesus. ( Galatians 3:28)
Re: Are We All Born As Atheists? by Nobody: 10:26am On Oct 18, 2016
SirShifty:
Are we all born as atheists
One thing, I think 'agnostics' is more suitable. Young children are agnostic, and they ask questions before they are indoctrinated/force fed with religion. Of only we could keep being agnostic throughout our lives. Being agnostic on things is what has advanced technology to this point, its better to say 'I don't know' and then try to find out like science does, instead of filling the gaps with lies.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are We All Born As Atheists? by Nobody: 10:29am On Oct 18, 2016
malvisguy212:
the slavery described in the Old Testament was quite different from the kind of slavery we think of today in which people are captured and sold as slaves. According to Old Testament law, anyone caught selling another person into slavery was to be executed:

He who kidnaps a man, whether he sells
him or he is found in his possession, shall
surely be put to death." ( Exodus 21:16)

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is
neither slave nor free man, there is neither
male nor female; for you are all one in Christ
Jesus. ( Galatians 3:28)
I think it would've been better for your bible to state "Thou shall not own another human being". explicitly and clearly. But it didn't, and there are cases of people owning people in the bible. How can you tell me that looking at a girl's ass (which is in the ten commandments) is a more dangerous/deadly thing than owning another human being??

3 Likes

Re: Are We All Born As Atheists? by Seun(m): 10:29am On Oct 18, 2016
malvisguy212:
According to Old Testament law, anyone caught selling another person into slavery was to be executed:
He who kidnaps a man, whether he sells him or he is found in his possession, shall surely be put to death." ( Exodus 21:16)
God in the old testament was tribalistic. He didn't sanction kidnapping Israelites for slavery, but he allowed them to buy slaves from neighbouring tribes regardless of how those slaves were enslaved. This is exactly how America practiced slavery before abolishing it. American weren't allowed to kidnap other Americans for slavery, but they could purchase our ancestors who were kidnapped from Africa. I don't think any country has ever allowed its free citizens to kidnap other free citizens and sell them into slavery. There is nothing to commend in that verse.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Are We All Born As Atheists? by SirShifty: 10:37am On Oct 18, 2016
felixomor:

Cut the talk on slavery, u made a claim on the bible and I debunked it.
Period.
The last time I checked, religious people still made up the most of nobel prize winners.
I dont know where u got ur stats from.
And when u say God is irrelevant, statistically speaking, u r wrong.
There is still no better explanation for the origin of the universe than his creation, sorry.
Claiming a verse is out of context, or quoting another scripture only shows how contradictory the bible is
Historically, of course most nobel prize winners are or were Christians, things have changed are changing.Scientific advancement has accelerated at break neck speed and now we have no need for God to explain anything. The only place where religious belief is growing is in Africa and that is because of the birth rate, this is an indictment if anything
Most people believe in God, still does not change the fact we no longer need to invoke him to explain anything
God's creation of the universe is not an explanation it is hole filling the famous 'God of the gaps'

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are We All Born As Atheists? by felixomor: 10:50am On Oct 18, 2016
SirShifty:

Claiming a verse is out of context, or quoting another scripture only shows how contradictory the bible is
Historically, of course most nobel prize winners are or were Christians, things have changed are changing.Scientific advancement has accelerated at break neck speed and now we have no need for God to explain anything. The only place where religious belief is growing is in Africa and that is because of the birth rate, this is an indictment if anything
Most people believe in God, still does not change the fact we no longer need to invoke him to explain anything
God's creation of the universe is not an explanation it is an unsubstantiated claim

Sorry, the stats on ground remains the staus quo.
If i say things are changing, then wait let it finish changing before u make mouth.
And Sorry, religious belief is not only growing in Africa,
China and middle Eastern countries are seeing an increase in people coming to Christianity.
Dont make such abtrary statistical assertions.

God told man to have dominion over the earth and replenish it.
He never said man should "invoke' him to do so.
If u read Genesis, u should have known that.

I say it again, God created the universe. Nobody has been able to produce a more convincing theory, period.
Re: Are We All Born As Atheists? by mmsen: 10:52am On Oct 18, 2016
felixomor:

Mscheww,

Yorubas never killed twins. It was only a small group of people, in a cluster of villages in what is now Cross River state who did that. Even today Cross River is one of the least populated areas of Nigeria, with a population of less than 4 million. Imagine what the population would have been in the 1800s with higher death rates, infant mortality rates and lower life expectancy?

And what is the difference between worshipping animals and worshipping dead Jewish people? Praying to supposed virgin mothers? Or pleading with dead people for favor and guidance?

3 Likes

Re: Are We All Born As Atheists? by SirShifty: 10:54am On Oct 18, 2016
AnonyNymous:

One thing, I think 'agnostics' is more suitable. Young children are agnostic, and they ask questions before they are indoctrinated/force fed with religion. Of only we could keep being agnostic throughout our lives. Being agnostic on things is what has advanced technology to this point, its better to say 'I don't know' and then try to find out like science does, instead of filling the gaps with lies.
I think you are right, agnostic is more suitable. Absolute certainty in any aspect what stifles progress, religious indoctrination is a scourge.
I consider myself an Agnostic Atheist

3 Likes

Re: Are We All Born As Atheists? by felixomor: 11:19am On Oct 18, 2016
mmsen:

Yorubas never killed twins. It was only a small group of people, in a cluster of villages in what is now Cross River state who did that. Even today Cross River is one of the least populated areas of Nigeria, with a population of less than 4 million. Imagine what the population would have been in the 1800s with higher death rates and infant mortality rates.

And what is the difference between worshipping animals and worshipping dead Jewish people? Praying to supposed virgin mothers? Or pleading with dead people for favor and guidance?

Are u actually trying to vindicate a tribe thay still buries people with their king?
Sory, no tribe is innocent.
Moreover, (as reards Christianity) can u show me where Jesus Christ said u should pray with dead people?
Re: Are We All Born As Atheists? by mmsen: 12:13pm On Oct 18, 2016
felixomor:

Are u actually trying to vindicate a tribe thay still buries people with their king?
Sory, no tribe is innocent.
Moreover, (as reards Christianity) can u show me where Jesus Christ said u should pray with dead people?

Do you have evidence of other 'tribes' killing twins?

I'm not vindicating anything - you made a fallacious argument. The number of people who engaged in the foolish practice that you speak of would have been in the thousands, at most.

The burying people with kings ended a long time ago. Societies will always adapt, that includes adopting and discarding religions. Just as people flocked to adopt xtianity and Islam because they were sources of power, so too will people discard them to join new groups and adopt modern ideas that enable them to acquire power and privilege. That is why religion tends to spread along trade routes.

Also, Jesus is reported to have a said a lot of things that xtians ignore - your beef is with them, not me.

Christians pray to Jesus, who is dead. Some of them pray to Mary, also deceased. Some address their prayers to saints, also dead.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are We All Born As Atheists? by felixomor: 12:21pm On Oct 18, 2016
mmsen:

Do you have evidence of other 'tribes' killing twins?

I'm not vindicating anything - you made a fallacious argument. The number of people who engaged in the foolish practice that you speak of would have been in the thousands, at most.

The burying people with kings ended a long time ago. Societies will always adapt, that includes adopting and discarding religions. Just as people flocked to adopt xtianity and Islam because they were sources of power, so too will people discard them to join new groups and adopt modern ideas that enable them to acquire power and privilege. That is why religion tends to spread along trade routes.

Also, Jesus is reported to have a said a lot of things that xtians ignore - your beef is with them, not me.

Christians pray to Jesus, who is dead. Some of them pray to Mary, also deceased. Some address their prayers to saints, also dead.

Please how did u know Jesus is dead?
Moreover, ur eyes seem to have only seen "killing of twins" in my post?
And how did the comment on "killing of twins' amount to fallacy?
Re: Are We All Born As Atheists? by hopefulLandlord: 12:25pm On Oct 18, 2016
felixomor:

Please how did u know Jesus is dead? Moreover, ur eyes seem to have only seen "killing of twins" in my post? And how did the comment on "killing of twins' amount to fallacy?
he was killed by three nails
Re: Are We All Born As Atheists? by mmsen: 12:34pm On Oct 18, 2016
felixomor:

Please how did u know Jesus is dead?
Moreover, ur eyes seem to have only seen "killing of twins" in my post?
And how did the comment on "killing of twins' amount to fallacy?

I'm wrong to say that Jesus is dead because we have no evidence that he was ever alive.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are We All Born As Atheists? by Seun(m): 12:38pm On Oct 18, 2016
SirShifty:

I think you are right, agnostic is more suitable. Absolute certainty in any aspect what stifles progress, religious indoctrination is a scourge.
I consider myself an Agnostic Atheist
Atheism is perfectly suitable since it just means a lack of belief in any god. It does not require certainty. The vast majority of atheists will not claim to be certain. Babies are atheists, because they don't believe in any God. They are converted to religion by their parents. Simple! cool

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are We All Born As Atheists? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:44pm On Oct 18, 2016
Seun:
Atheism is perfectly suitable since it just means a lack of belief in any god. It does not require certainty. The vast majority of atheists will not claim to be certain. Babies are atheists, because they don't believe in any God. They are converted to religion by their parents. Simple! cool

Atheists are saying there is no God , are babies saying there is no God ?

Babies don't need to labeled . They are not atheists , theists , agnostics or whatever !
Re: Are We All Born As Atheists? by SirShifty: 12:47pm On Oct 18, 2016
Seun:
Come to think of it one would have to be introduced to the concept of a God in the first place to state a position of agnosticism
Re: Are We All Born As Atheists? by felixomor: 12:48pm On Oct 18, 2016
mmsen:

I'm wrong to say that Jesus is dead because we have no evidence that he was ever alive.

U av confirmed u are a blabber!
Re: Are We All Born As Atheists? by felixomor: 12:49pm On Oct 18, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

he was killed by three nails

U believe that?
cheesy
Re: Are We All Born As Atheists? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:32pm On Oct 18, 2016
SirShifty:

Since you are now an atheist , please tell us what you achieved in life with critical thinking that makes you better than us here
https://www.nairaland.com/3009541/negro-atheists-show-me-works

Since the beginning of the existence of man , atheists started making notable achievements from the 18th century - meaning it took over 6000 years to make an achievement with all the high levels of critical thinking . Wawu !
https://www.nairaland.com/3299993/what-prominent-achievements-made-atheists

Don't you know about Ancient Egypt and civilization ? Ancient Egyptians had the myriads of gods they worshiped and they were more advanced in knowledge and civilization than any other nation . What about the Greeks and their pantheon of gods ? The Hellenic polytheists - Aristotle , Pythagoras - all worshiped these gods and are still doyens in philosophy and mathematics - respected even in this modern era . Pythagoras even believed in mysticism and founded a religious cult - Pythagoreanism .

There are so many great minds that had different religious beliefs and what they believed did not inhibit their intellectual development .

But wait, atheists have just a handful of great minds throughout history of mankind . I don't think they are up 10 great minds who are atheists.

Also note that Christianity , deism and the Hellenic polytheism own most of the great minds .

Lest I forget , I want to let you know that evolution isn't a modern scientific idea , very archaic in fact . The idea of Evolution started with the Mayan culture around 600 BC . Then came the Thales of Miletus (640–546 BC) who first came up with the idea that life came from water and there was the Greek philosopher Empedocles (493–435 BC) who is described as the father of evolutionary naturalism . Even the Hindus believed in evolution but in a more spiritual sense .

Atheism has nothing to offer humanity my friend , it tried to with communism and it was bloodshed . I proved atheism was the animus that led to killings of millions HERE and you guys claimed that atheism does not motivate anything . And here , you clearly suggested that atheism motivates critical thinking bla bla bla - this means you are contradicting yaselves grin . If you agree atheism motivates critical thinking then atheism was indeed the animus that led to the killings

Peace !
Re: Are We All Born As Atheists? by cloudgoddess(f): 2:00pm On Oct 18, 2016
Round of applause for this post OP.

From birth we are taught to suppress our critical thinking skills, privilege faith over reason and accept whatever our cultures have imposed on us.
And this is only a recipe for brainwashing - regardless of what the content of the brainwashing is. A mind that's been discouraged from critical thinking, makes fertile ground for mindless and dogmatic obedience - usually based on fear & emotions.

When you break it down, "faith" in itself, is never, ever a good thing. There is just way too much we humans don't know (especially in uneducated areas of the world) for us to simply trust what an authority says simply because they said it's true, and they said it with a lot of confidence and fanfare (ie the church setting).

No one raised as Christian, Muslim, or any other religion, can ever claim that they objectively analyzed & evaluated the legitimacy of their religion before joining it. They never even got the chance. They had the ideas planted into their fertile childhood brains by the people they trusted, accepted the ideas solely for that reason (like all young humans are wired to do), and then had the ideas continuously "watered & fed" as they grew up in that same environment full of people preaching, declaring, singing, and insisting on those ideas. Continous reinforcement.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Are We All Born As Atheists? by SirShifty: 2:53pm On Oct 18, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Since you are now an atheist , please tell us what you achieved in life with critical thinking that makes you better than us here
https://www.nairaland.com/3009541/negro-atheists-show-me-works

Since the beginning of the existence of man , atheists started making notable achievements from the 18th century - meaning it took over 6000 years to make an achievement with all the high levels of critical thinking . Wawu !
https://www.nairaland.com/3299993/what-prominent-achievements-made-atheists

Don't you know about Ancient Egypt and civilization ? Ancient Egyptians had the myriads of gods they worshiped and they were more advanced in knowledge and civilization than any other nation . What about the Greeks and their pantheon of gods ? The Hellenic polytheists - Aristotle , Pythagoras - all worshiped these gods and are still doyens in philosophy and mathematics - respected even in this modern era . Pythagoras even believed in mysticism and founded a religious cult - Pythagoreanism .

There are so many great minds that had different religious beliefs and what they believed did not inhibit their intellectual development .

But wait, atheists have just a handful of great minds throughout history of mankind . I don't think they are up 10 great minds who are atheists.

Also note that Christianity , deism and the Hellenic polytheism own most of the great minds .

Lest I forget , I want to let you know that evolution isn't a modern scientific idea , very archaic in fact . The idea of Evolution started with the Mayan culture around 600 BC . Then came the Thales of Miletus (640–546 BC) who first came up with the idea that life came from water and there was the Greek philosopher Empedocles (493–435 BC) who is described as the father of evolutionary naturalism . Even the Hindus believed in evolution but in a more spiritual sense .

Atheism has nothing to offer humanity my friend , it tried to with communism and it was bloodshed . I proved atheism was the animus that led to killings of millions HERE and you guys claimed that atheism does not motivate anything . And here , you clearly suggested that atheism motivates critical thinking bla bla bla - this means you are contradicting yaselves grin . If you agree atheism motivates critical thinking then atheism was indeed the animus that led to the killings

Peace !

All those people you named did not explain evolution, they had their creation myths like all theists do, i give them credit for it being better than the Adam and Eve Genesis story myth. Empedocles was not even intending to explain evolution, though he certainly had an understanding of certain aspects of natural selection. He did not propose any idea of common ancestry or speciation

Talk all you like about history, people did not have the ammunition back then to explain our origins therefore they had to invoke God.
Of course people in the ancient times would have been religious, if they had no clue what caused earthquakes, thunder, how mountains were formed.

We have those tools now and we can now say that we do not need God to explain anything, we have never seen this level and speed of scientific development it is unparalleled. In the 21st century, we have no need for God he has been driven to the point where people used to say 'Only a fool will say there is no God' to 'you cant prove he doesn't exist'
I find it funny you say you can't name 10, while using Google and Facebook

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jesus and the Mosaic Law? / Where Is Ishmael In Prophethood / Should A Christian Be Sick?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.