Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,030 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:59 PM

Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Anti-lock Fuse Or Relay - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Anti-lock Fuse Or Relay (9077 Views)

Thieves Stealing Toyota, Lexus Vehicles Using Key Fob 'Relay' / Some Facts You Need To Know About Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) / Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Anti-lock Fuse Or Relay by AutofactorNG: 9:39am On Oct 18, 2016
Common signs include the ABS Light turning on, tires locking up regularly, and a blown fuse.

Virtually all automotive systems that are electrical in nature run their power through some sort of system of fuses or relays and the ABS is no exception. Because fuses are essentially a bridge for power in electrical circuits, when they fail they can cause all sorts of problems for their respective systems and should be replaced. Fuses are usually installed into smaller individual circuits with low current draw, while relays are more commonly used for higher amperage circuits.

When they fail, they can cause all sorts of problems for the system that they were providing power for. Specifically, when the fuses and relays of the ABS system fail, usually the vehicle will display a few symptoms that can alert the driver that there may be a problem with an ABS fuse or relay.

1. Illuminated ABS Light

One of the first symptoms of a blown fuse or relay is an illuminated ABS Light. The ABS Light will become illuminated once the computer has detected that there is a problem with the system. If a fuse blows, or a relay fails, the computer will pick up the signal and activate the Check Engine Light to alert the driver that a problem has occurred. An ABS Light can occur for a wide variety of reasons, so if it does come on, have the vehicle scanned for codes to help shed some light on what the problem may be.

2. Tires are locking up regularly

Another symptom of a possible problem with a fuse or relay is a malfunctioning ABS system. More specifically, a failed relay may cause the ABS symptom to act up. If the relay is unable to adequately supply the ABS system’s electrical needs, it may cause the system to malfunction. In some cases, the ABS system may even activate at random times, sometimes even while the vehicle is in motion.

3. Blown fuse

One of the most obvious symptoms of a fuse or relay problem is a blown fuse. Fuses are designed to handle a specified amount of amperage, and are designed in a way that if the set amount is exceeded, the fuse will literally blow to protect the circuit. Close inspection of a blown fuse should reveal a dark and perhaps cloudy appearance on the inside of the fuse. The wire inside of the fuse should also be visibly split when the fuse is blown. A blown fuse will usually deactivate the entire system, or at the very least the circuit that it was responsible for powering.

Because the anti-Lock fuse and relays are what power the entire ABS system, they are very important electrical components to any vehicle. For this reason, if you suspect that your ABS fuse or relay may have failed, have a professional technician, such as one from AutoFactorNG, diagnose the electrical system to determine if the car needs the anti-lock fuse or relay replaced. Visit www.autofactorng.com

1 Like

Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Anti-lock Fuse Or Relay by dtruseeker(m): 6:37am On Oct 20, 2016
OK. Let me save this write up so that it can be useful to me in future because I no get car now grin

2 Likes

Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Anti-lock Fuse Or Relay by mikeetim(m): 6:38am On Oct 20, 2016
Great
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Anti-lock Fuse Or Relay by Donshemzy1234: 6:42am On Oct 20, 2016
ok
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Anti-lock Fuse Or Relay by topcube(m): 6:49am On Oct 20, 2016
Thank you with this info, could this be what happen to my boss Toyota Sequai yesterday afternoon? While driving, the ABS light came up and the vehicle engine vibrated and went off, the ABS light thereafter remained ON at every attempt to reignite the engine, and the engine will not come up, during interaction with mechanic on phone, he claimed it's the fuel pump that went bad. He will be going there to check the vehicle this morning. Pls OP and others, your opinion is needed before the guy (meco) begin surgery on the vehicle. cool
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Anti-lock Fuse Or Relay by Hamzatgodfirst(m): 6:51am On Oct 20, 2016
Nice info... Thanks... Though no car yet, but it will one day arrive... Lol
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Anti-lock Fuse Or Relay by Hamzatgodfirst(m): 6:51am On Oct 20, 2016
Nice info... Thanks... Though no car yet, but it will one day arrive... Lol
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Anti-lock Fuse Or Relay by sakalisis(m): 6:51am On Oct 20, 2016
cool cool
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Anti-lock Fuse Or Relay by Rosella1: 6:56am On Oct 20, 2016
Nice one Op! Lemee go practice it in my sugar blom-blom's car Lalasticlala. . . grin
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Anti-lock Fuse Or Relay by TheOonlyOne: 7:05am On Oct 20, 2016
Yea... my ABS light has always been on from day 1 and I dont seem to know whats up with it... Honda Legend btw
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Anti-lock Fuse Or Relay by Nobody: 7:06am On Oct 20, 2016
dtruseeker:
OK. Let me save this write up so that it can be useful to me in future because I no get car now grin
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Anti-lock Fuse Or Relay by emerich(m): 7:26am On Oct 20, 2016
Nice write up, very informative, I need to hit the auto shop ASAP, my ABS indicator has been on incessantly.
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Anti-lock Fuse Or Relay by ezechueze(m): 7:34am On Oct 20, 2016
OK

1 Like

Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Anti-lock Fuse Or Relay by cardoctor(m): 7:39am On Oct 20, 2016
I've written write ups on better and more important topics than this on Car Talk and they never made it to FP.

Informative though but not precise. Most common faults that trigger the ABS warning light coming on are faulty or damaged ABS sensors or their connections as well as bad or damaged ABS ring gears. Blown fuses or faulty Control Modules triggering the warning light occur very rarely.
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Anti-lock Fuse Or Relay by topcube(m): 8:01am On Oct 20, 2016
cardoctor:
I've written write ups on better and more important topics than this on Car Talk and they never made it to FP.

Informative though but not precise. Most common faults that trigger the ABS warning light coming on are faulty or damaged ABS sensors or their connections as well as bad or damaged ABS ring gears. Blown fuses or faulty Control Modules triggering the warning light occur very rarely.

What category is mine?
Could this be what happen to my boss Toyota Sequai yesterday afternoon? While driving, the ABS light came up and the vehicle engine vibrated and went off, the ABS light thereafter remained ON at every attempt to reignite the engine, and the engine will not come up.
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Anti-lock Fuse Or Relay by femi4: 8:04am On Oct 20, 2016
topcube:
Thank you with this info, could this be what happen to my boss Toyota Sequai yesterday afternoon? While driving, the ABS light came up and the vehicle engine vibrated and went off, the ABS light thereafter remained ON at every attempt to reignite the engine, and the engine will not come up, during interaction with mechanic on phone, he claimed it's the fuel pump that went bad. He will be going there to check the vehicle this morning. Pls OP and others, your opinion is needed before the guy (meco) begin surgery on the vehicle. cool
ABS = Antilock braking system. It has nothing to do with the engine, it determines how your vehicle reacts when you applied brakes

2 Likes

Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Anti-lock Fuse Or Relay by topcube(m): 8:38am On Oct 20, 2016
femi4:
ABS = Antilock braking system. It has nothing to do with the engine, it determines how your vehicle reacts when you applied brakes

Ok, thank you. The surgical operation as even began
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Anti-lock Fuse Or Relay by BEAMBOR13(f): 10:22am On Oct 20, 2016
topcube:
b4 d mechanic conclude is fuel pump,there are things he need to check; if air,fuel and spark are coming,it could be a bad starter relay,except if d sequoia has history of jerking dats when he can do fuel pump pressure test on it.
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Anti-lock Fuse Or Relay by RentALodge: 10:24am On Oct 20, 2016
I love these informational tips. In these modern era of computerized vehicles, patronizing road side mechanics is an almost sure way to destroy your vehicles.

**If you are a student and you would like to work for RentALodge as a RentALodge contact in your school, see the signature for address. We are recruiting for all schools in Nigeria.**
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Anti-lock Fuse Or Relay by BEAMBOR13(f): 10:25am On Oct 20, 2016
autofactor do you employ females,if yes is there vacancy. I need a job
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Anti-lock Fuse Or Relay by pato405(m): 10:46am On Oct 20, 2016
NA wa o! My ABS light and check engine light has been on for more than 6months now. but the car drives perfect irrespective of the signs on the dash undecided
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Anti-lock Fuse Or Relay by Nobody: 10:49am On Oct 20, 2016
topcube:
Before the mechanic touches that vehicle-convince your boss to run a scan- a Sequoia is a complex vehicle with some excellent systems on board. Don't allow the guy touch it until a scan is run and the codes are gotten.What the guy told you on phone was just a guess work and nothing more. Don't(or your boss shouldnt) be in a rush because your rushing will lead to mistakes that will cost an arm and a leg to rectify
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Anti-lock Fuse Or Relay by jessicacoles: 8:24am On Jul 26, 2021
Signs Of A Faulty ABS Module
The ABS Warning Light Glows. This is the most common sign of problems with the ABS system. ...
The Brakes Lock Up. The ABS system is specifically designed to prevent any wheel from locking up during heavy braking. ...
An Unresponsive Brake Pedal. ...
Increased Pedal Effort. ...
Speedometer Failure.
write for us

(1) (Reply)

Annoying Things Other Drivers Do / When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant / 12 Million Cars Owners In Nigeria Use Fake Insurance Cover- Senate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.