Stats: 3,154,022 members, 7,821,560 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:02 PM

When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant (9081 Views)

Synthetic Motor Oil Versus Conventional Motor Oil Cold Pour Comparison Test / 9 Warning Signs Your Car's Oil & Lubricant Might Be Leaking / Signs Of Lubricant Starvation (2) (3) (4)

When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant by destineguy(m): 4:25am On Jun 24, 2016

By: LubesToday

Under what circumstances do synthetic lubricants not make sense? My understanding is that high-quality synthetic lubricants can result in cost savings and engine efficiency improvements through reduced friction/heat, engine wear, lubricant breakdowns, lubricant change intervals, etc. What is best way to make these choices?"

You are right about the benefits of synthetic oils. Reduced friction/heat, engine wear, lubricant breakdowns and lubricant change intervals can all lead to lower costs for repairs and even better gas mileage in some cases.

The real question is when to choose an expensive synthetic oil over a lower priced mineral oil. The truth is that it depends on the way the engine is used and how many miles it has.

Synthetic oils may not be ideal for a vehicle that has very high mileage (engine hours) and has only used mineral base oils during its lifespan. If you were to change the oil to a synthetic in this type of vehicle, it could lead to a number of problems. The oil’s natural detergent action could wash off varnish and other soot deposits that are sometimes left behind with certain mineral oils. This action of cleaning deposits off cylinder walls not only can cause the engine to use more oil but also can reduce cylinder wall thickness and allow small amounts of oil to bypass the piston rings and burn up in the cylinder head.

In older cars, synthetic oils can even affect the seals or elastomers, causing them to shrink and leak. Therefore, continuing to use the same mineral oil is a good idea in many situations.

On the other hand, synthetic oils are a wise choice for vehicles and engines that experience frequent stops and starts, operate in extreme heat and cold, or have extended lengths of service between oil changes.

If you were to buy a new vehicle, you should consider using a high-quality synthetic oil from the start. This can make a big difference in the life of the engine, especially if you use the oil in conjunction with a high-grade, low-micron filter.

So while synthetic oil does not always make sense, when it does, there can be significant cost savings in the long run. Keep in mind that there are good mineral oil products on the market as well. Determining what your situation requires will depend on the condition of your engine or machinery.

Source: http://lubestoday..com.ng/2016/06/when-to-choose-synthetic-lubricant.html

Re: When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant by Nobody: 4:51am On Jun 24, 2016
When?

How about everytime that you can afford it?

Re: When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant by Mimexy(f): 6:57am On Jun 24, 2016
I use it only as backup when there is enough cash

Re: When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant by Nobody: 6:57am On Jun 24, 2016
Re: When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant by KangaIye: 7:01am On Jun 24, 2016
Is it good for cooking

Re: When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant by adwem2003(m): 7:06am On Jun 24, 2016
My mind went to something else when I read lubricant. cry

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant by 19naia(m): 7:06am On Jun 24, 2016
What? This post title was misleading.

I was hoping to find the info i needed on flavored, non flavored synthetic lubes and natural oil lubes infused with herbal antispetics and herbal extract birth controls.
Maybe I should have looked at the topic section it came from before jumping to conclusions? Car Talk. I would have not wasted my few minutes on this thread if i had checked topic section before entering.
A congratulation to OP for a useful,post to someone somewhere, i hope many people benefit from it rather than ending up like me looking here for something else and not finding it. lipsrsealed

Re: When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant by BLINGZ88: 7:06am On Jun 24, 2016
Like if u thought they where talking about sex

Re: When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant by SmithHumble50: 7:09am On Jun 24, 2016
OK sir... So I can put it in my old car right? Price range of d lube nko?
Re: When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant by Attahiru87(m): 7:11am On Jun 24, 2016
Abi oooooo....wen economy don tie face like thunder.
Re: When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant by SmithHumble50: 7:11am On Jun 24, 2016
BLINGZ88:
Like if u thought they where talking about sex
Lots of corrupt minds on NL...
Re: When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant by crunchyg: 7:19am On Jun 24, 2016
J
Re: When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant by luvinhubby(m): 7:34am On Jun 24, 2016
Best approach is to use the Synythetic blend (semi synthetic), that way you enjoy both the benefits of the synthetic & mineral engine oil at the same time.

My thoughts though.

Re: When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant by nanizle(m): 8:23am On Jun 24, 2016
adwem2003:

Haha. You need Jesus!

Re: When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant by LeJeun3: 8:38am On Jun 24, 2016

Nigerians looking for shortcuts since time past.....

Re: When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant by femi4: 8:39am On Jun 24, 2016
Lubricant like Vaseline is all I know
Re: When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant by Adesiji77: 8:47am On Jun 24, 2016
Some minds need to be washed with Hypo cheesy
Re: When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant by honmusa(m): 9:08am On Jun 24, 2016
For you full synthetic oil 5w30 and 5w20 ,try Lubex brand (http://www.lubex.com.tr/en-us/products/heavy-duty-engine-oils/lubex-premium-xt-5w30).
It comes in various capacities of 7 litres,5 litres ,4 litre and 1 litre @ affordable price ranging from 10,500 to 2,200 naira
You can contact autologic @ 08061166316 to place your order and delivery is possible to anywhere in Nigeria .
Premium oil filter brand is also available http://www.pgfilters.com/oil-filters/

Re: When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant by destineguy(m): 9:36am On Jun 24, 2016
EgunMogaji:
When?

How about everytime that you can afford it?

If you paid conscious attention to what was written, you can't use a synthetic lubricant anytime you can afford it.
You make the switch when it's most favourable for your engine and then you stick with it.

Do contact us for more enquiries...

Re: When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant by danidee10(m): 9:37am On Jun 24, 2016
Call me a pervert....but i thought this was about sex!!!!....mtchewww cheesy

OP next time put car so people like us go know before we open am
Re: When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant by destineguy(m): 9:39am On Jun 24, 2016
luvinhubby:
Best approach is to use the Synythetic blend (semi synthetic), that way you enjoy both the benefits of the synthetic & mineral engine oil at the same time.

My thoughts though.

As much as you are right in certain regards, sometimes going fully synthetic is the most viable option for some engine state.

Best regards.
Re: When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant by destineguy(m): 9:47am On Jun 24, 2016
SmithHumble50:
OK sir... So I can put it in my old car right? Price range of d lube nko?

Yes sir you can. The price ranges from as low as #1,600 for a 1L synthetic Lube to as high as #6,200 for 4L lubes across major Lubricant brands in Nigeria.

Regards.
Re: When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant by PaypalGod(m): 10:13am On Jun 24, 2016
Same Here
adwem2003:
Re: When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant by snaketail22(m): 11:05am On Jun 24, 2016
All I use is AZ. It's OK for my car

Re: When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant by antsut(m): 11:40am On Jun 24, 2016
adwem2003:

Same here grin grin grin
Re: When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant by Sleekbaby(f): 12:04pm On Jun 24, 2016
Synthetic lubricant is a powerful oil that maintains the engine and it lasts longer.

Re: When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant by Inspectahdeck(m): 12:58pm On Jun 24, 2016
Please can you name some brands? I am really interested.

Many thanks.

destineguy:

Yes sir you can. The price ranges from as low as #1,600 for a 1L synthetic Lube to as high as #6,200 for 4L lubes across major Lubricant brands in Nigeria.

Regards.
Re: When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant by eagleonearth(m): 2:07pm On Jun 24, 2016
mimexy watch ur side well oo
Re: When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant by eagleonearth(m): 2:07pm On Jun 24, 2016
not so wonderful for use in ds clime. mineral is preferrable here.
Re: When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant by saasala(m): 2:50pm On Jun 24, 2016
I even thought you meant lubricant for sex
Re: When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jun 24, 2016
destineguy:

If you paid conscious attention to what was written, you can't use a synthetic lubricant anytime you can afford it.
You make the switch when it's most favourable for your engine and then you stick with it.

Do contact us for more enquiries...

1) I've forgotten more about synthetic vs Dino oil than you'll learn in 3 lifetimes

2) there's no need for me to contact you because there's nothing to be learnt from you

3) I stand by my original opinion

4) I don't use some no name untested brand.

Re: When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant by PaypalGod(m): 10:19am On Jun 25, 2016
Inspectahdeck:
Please can you name some brands? I am really interested.

Many thanks.

KY Jelly lol

Annoying Things Other Drivers Do / Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Anti-lock Fuse Or Relay / How To Increase The Resale Value Of Your Vehicle